runners - need help!!

morris

Cathlete
hi everyone. well, i finally got injured. i actually fractured my 3rd metaatarsal last week. i have been running for years, and have been doing the same milage for the last 2 months - 50-60/wk. i knew i hurt my foot on friday, but it felt better with rest, so i waited to go to the dr for 5 days. there is a very clear fracture, and now i am in a boot for 4-6 weeks. what can i do? any suggestions? i noramlly work up a sweat daily, and i am crawling out of my skin. i do upper body weights 3 days a week and have done abs, but i need something more. i can feel my body atrophying (sp) , and i hate it, hate how i feel emotionally and physically.

has this happened to anyone? what did you do for sanity? how did you get backinto shape with out reinjuring yourself? as an addendum, i run 4-5 days a week and do step or kickboxing 2 days a week. thanks so much for any help.

Oh I'm so sorry this happened to you.

You should probably give your doc's office a call with this question but I'll give it a shot anyway....

If you are wearing a boot I assume you can put weight on your foot? I don't know, just guessing, but would an EXT work out be possible for you?? No impact cardio is most definately the way to go IMO but again, I'm not a doctor.

thanks, wendy. i am seeing my dr today to ask all those questions, for instance, what about work? i am on my feet all day. plus, i have 2 kids under the age of 2.5 at home. not really possible to stay off my foot. so, excuse my ignorance, but what is "ext"? thanks again

Do you have access to an exercise bike? I was in a boot for 6 weeks when I strained my achilles tendon and used a bike. It wasn't perfect but at least it kept me sane. I also did more upper body strength training. Did your doctor give you any ideas? As always, check with him/her before you start something.

Take care!

JJ

Hi--

Sorry to hear about your injury.. Being on the "mend" list is no fun!!

Here's my .02, but please make sure you talk to your Doc first..

I broke my foot in a couple of places several years back and was in a cast for 8 weeks. I was able to do a recumbent bike and it helped w/ my cardio withdrawals... The recumbent was nice because your foot was somewhat parallel to the ground and wasn't vertical so it minimized the chance of more blood ( hence more swelling) going to the injured foot.

You could also do upper body kickboxing drills for cardio. I used to ride the recumbent and do the upper body kickboxing moves at the same time for keeping my heart rate up. You'll probably need that since you are a big time runner and are so cardiovascularly fit.

I was able to do floor work for legs w/ ankle weights too for leg workouts.

Lastly, look at it as a great opportunity to crank up your upper body/core work.. Go big, go heavy and go intense with it. If you have access to doing pullups, that would be a great thing to do during your "recovery" time.

Lynn M.

Hi--
Lastly, look at it as a great opportunity to crank up your upper body/core work.. Go big, go heavy and go intense with it. If you have access to doing pullups, that would be a great thing to do during your "recovery" time.
Lynn M.

First, . .I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. I've always had fitness in my life since I was a kid (ballet, track, married to a husband who surfs, mountain bikes, and runs) but I'm also the kind of person who when I get an interruption with my clean eating and workout routine can fall into temptation of the dark side. Basically my weight can ping and pong from a size 2-12. Luckily I've been at a good steady size 2 for the past 2 years but I've been where you are. 8 years ago while training for a marathon I developed a really bad neuroma in my right toe that prevented me from running for more than 5 miles. Well, I stopped running, coupled with a move to another city, new job, and a brand new little girl I gave excersize a push to the side. I've slowly come back strong for the past 4 years and now run 7 miles 3 times a week. 50-60 miles a week is A LOT of running. I just started clocking in 21 miles a week and I do so very carefully. Spacing my runs and never running long runs on consecutive days. Running just seems extremely prone to injury, . .and I am extremely chicken and scared to get injured, . . . although I guess I don't have to tell you that. I totally agree with Lynn go for the upper body and concentrate on really eating clean. On your knee push ups are a really great excersize. Sometimes when I'm feeling strong I have my 6 year old sit on my back for added weight and challenge. There are things you can do. Hang in there. Your injury is your body's way of telling you it needs a break.

thanks so much, everyone. i appreciate the ideas and support. already i am atrophied and have lost 2lbs (muscle i am sure)), now i have to not freak out about weight gain!

I broke my toe a couple of months ago, and was really freaking out! I got so stressed about having to give up my cardio , I was stress eating, which backfired and made me gain weight!

The things I ended up doing were:

1. Upper body kickboxing drills. I sat in a chair! I did ones from KPC and some from Turbo Jam.

2. Wii training drills. I did the hard punching bag (i read it burns as many calories as punching a REAL hard bag!). This made me sweat BIG time. And my shoulders/upper back got major DOMS! I also did the drill where the "trainer" throws the balls at you , and you have to dodge side to side (core work!! and makes you sweat).

3. I did do lower body floor work from Cathe's stuff. Like from B&G and also Legs & Glutes.

4. Rode a bike. Though this was later when i could actually put a sneaker on.

It was also suggested to me to join a gym or take a few free trials to use their recumbant bike or elliptical ...

I do feel your pain! I was a total mess. I'm also still off of running because my calf has been acting up. I miss it dearly!! But at least I can do other cardio...

Good Luck!!!

I broke my toe a couple of months ago, and was really freaking out! I got so stressed about having to give up my cardio , I was stress eating, which backfired and made me gain weight!

I do feel your pain! I was a total mess. I'm also still off of running because my calf has been acting up. I miss it dearly!! But at least I can do other cardio...

Good Luck!!!

Oh my gosh, are you kidding me?? I broke my toe in April and am just getting over a calf/ achilles injury now!!! :eek:

I stick to the elliptical and swimming when I've had injuries in the past. Low impact and still able to get in a good workout. I was even able to modify pushups by using a ball on my shins when I couldn't flex my foot. :) I also did a lot of floor work from Cathe or the standing leg drills from Legs & Glutes.

Hope you heal up soon!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.