Rhea's BFFM challenge thread - June 2010

Rhea

Cathlete
I decided to put together a thread here for my BFFM challenge since I decided that STS is my weight training for that challenge. Plus all my Cathe friends can't see the BFFM thread since it is a private pay forum.

I actually started the challenge on May 24th, so one week is down.
The STS portion just started this Sunday with Disc one. This will be my second round of STS. I finished the first round just before the STS cardio came out.

I'm not going to post those pics here....maybe later if I get brave enough. I'll get the stats over here later.

Here is Day 8's food diary

May 31st:

Meal#1: lc tortilla; sausage; avocado, cheese
Meal#2: granola w/ greek yogurt
Meal#3: Protein smoothie
2 tbls peanut butter (during workout....low blood sugar
Meal#4 Turkey Tenders; quinoa; asparagus; homemade granola bar

Totals: 1545 cal; 63.1 fat; 147.7 carbs; 104.25 protein

Recalc of TDEEs for the week: 2424.61 cals; 20% is 1939. Food way too low again.

Training: Workout for the day was cardio. Did STS cardio - step moves.

Had to stop during middle because of low blood sugar. Rested a bit and then took it back up and actually redid the compilation in the end.

June 1st Dailies:

Meal#1: oatmeal; whey protein; dried fruit; coffee with cream
Meal#2: Misc veggies; hummus; homemade granola bar;
Meal#3 Turkey; quinoa; chicken breast; salad dressing (two proteins are after I figured out how low I was for the day. Plus I was hungry today.
Meal#4: granola; yogurt
Meal#5 Bagel thin; peanut butter;
Meal#6: lc tortilla/ cheese

Totals: 1900 cals; 58.39 fat; 240.4 carbs; 120.47 protein

Still did not make full TDEE today. Was my "refeed" day. Only made it to barely under the 20%. Treated myself to a little bit more fat in my last meal.

Workout this am was Disc #2, back and triceps. Good arm burn. I think I still had a lot of lactic acid leftover from Sunday's workout.

Okay, stats for the week Number one:

Weight: 163(-4)
Fat%: 25.2 (-3.85)
LBM: 121.9 (-.1)
Waist: 30 (-1")
hips: 43.25 (.75)
rthigh: 25.5 (same)
lthigh: 25 (-.25)
rbicep: 12.5 (-.5)
lbicep: 12.5 (+.5)

All in all good start for the first week. Hopefully I can keep it up.

Hi Rhea!

Wanted to come over and cheer you on. You have courage, Rhea. I don't know if I'd have the courage to post what I'm eating and how much weight I've put on. So well done. Way to go!

I know I eat alot more fat than what most people might think one should -- but it's raw fat and so it doesn't seem to go on quite the same way as cooked fat does for me -- by raw I mean raw cream or raw coconut oil or raw (soaked and dehydrated) nuts or raw butter. Those are pretty much the only fats that I eat.

Am myself trying to keep my intake down to 1300 - 1500 calories a day -- but it's hard. Having a green drink (mostly celery with other veggies, also) twice a day is helping to keep those calories down, however. I make up the green drink every morning.

Anyway, way to go, Rhea!:D

One more thing

I forgot. Wanted to make mention of a few nutrients that help blood sugar -- one is Vanadyl Sulfate, another is chromonium picolenate -- excuse my horrible spellling and the other is cinnamon -- make sure it's the real cinnamon (you have to order it special) -- it's called Ceylon cinnamon and is the real thing -- what's currently on the market is from China or Indonesia and isn't real cinnamon but is called Cassia -- stronger taste -- but it's also tough on the liver -- whereas the real cinnamon -- Ceylon cinnamon doesn't harm the liver at all. :)

KK - where would you get some of those nutrients? They might be helpful if I could get some in me before my workouts. Today was much better, but I did have a little lag, even with a protein smoothie before the workout.

Rhea,

I am not as far along as you - just beginning the Intermediate Rotation - but, I have STS in my sights for Fall/Winter.

Just wanted to let you know that I, too, have joined the BFFM Challenge. Started on Saturday...

Nice to know someone else is doing the challenge - I am enjoying it so far!

Donna

BFFM is a great challenge. I just love that the STS program fits right in for me with the weights. I'm already stronger from the first round, now just getting better!

Gook luck with the challenge! Thanks for stopping by here.

Okay, Totals for the last few days.
Day #10
Meal#1 Egg scramble (whites mainly)

Meal#2 turkey tenderloin; quinoa

Meal#3 Protein smoothie

Meal#4 Salad with veggies/1/2 chicken breast
other veggies (cukes, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, yellow bell pepper); hummus
mid-afternoon snack before massage - greek yogurt

Meal#5 turkey patty; lc tortilla; 1 tbls mayo; granola bar
May have a yoplait yogurt later before bed

Day 11 - June 2nd
Meal#1 high protein apple oatmeal pancakes, coffee with cream

Meal#2 greek yogurt/ granola

Meal#3 salad with veggies, tuna, dressing

Meal#4 protein drink (lower cal version)
Meal#5 baby carrots, hummus, brocoli, little mayo

Meal.....snack....between the meals I had some walnuts.

Totals: 1629.1 cals; fat 73.1 grams; carbs - 164.27; prot. 129.07

Training for the day:
Today was an early morning walk/run for 40 minutes; STS Disc #3, week one of the endurance training....legs...killer legs

Day 12, June 4th
Meal#1 Egg; wheat muffin; slice ham, .05 cheese, cofe w/ cream

Meal#2 turkey tender; quinoa, veggie bag, hummus; 1/2 cup blackberries
Meal#3 greek yogurt/ granola

Meal#4 walnuts, cheese stick

Meal#5 Salad, ranch dressing(2tbls)

Meal#6 peanut butter, popcorn (was hungry for some reason)

totals: 1872.6 cals; 94.64 fat; 179.67 carbs; 125.08 protein. may be a little off because had to guess on the salad from the restaurant.

Training - today I took as a rest day

Hi Rhea!

Hi Rhea!

Have finally finished the tour -- will still be doing book signings on weekends, but it's all winding down. Yea! It's been a really tough 2 months.

You can get those nutrients at any health food store -- even Whole Foods will carry them. Not Traders -- they have only a limited selection. -- That's the Vanadyl Sulfate and chrominium.

The Ceylon Cinnamon is a little trickier to get -- I get it online at Frontier -- let me see if I can find the website -- one is www.frontiercoop.com (we have our own coop) -- you can call them too and talk to them about the Ceylon Cinnamon.

Have a great day, Rhea!

Thanks KK for the info!

Been going strong on the challenge if not going strong with posting here! I'll have to come back with the totals since I forgot to copy them before coming over to Cathe Nation.

Disc #5 was the workout for today. Arms are a little noodley with lots of sore spots today. I just love/hate that feeling. I tend to stiffen up when sitting at a desk all day. So that's my excuse for getting up and walking around. :eek:

Okay the numbers this week, not that good, but TTOM is here, so I think main reason. (and since our weather suddenly went from winter to hot, my body has reacted and I'm all puffy) Plus, when I measured BF% last week and this week, I am right between 25.2 and 26.9 on the chart, so this week I went back to the 26.9 which make my LBM go way down. Big Sigh. I think cardio is a big factor for me, so I've got to get more in and even a little more calories in those meals.
Here they are:
Hgt: 5'6"
Wgt: 163.6 (+.6)
BF%: 26.9; lbs fat: 44.00 (+2.93)
LBM: 119.6 (-2.3)
Biceps: r = 12.25; l= 12.25
Waist: 30
hips: 43.25
Thighs: r=25.5; l=25
No real change in the measurements, just change in the numbers due to the BF%
I'm anxious to see how next week goes. I'm going to keep going strong and even add a bit more cardio. I could be holding on to the water because of the heat and because I've been doing endurance type muscle workouts. Maybe I should drink more too.... I really hope that it is not that much of a LBM loss.

Good Evening!

Hi Rhea!

I'm so having trouble with my weight too. I've gone back to drinking two quarts of green drink a day -- that helps keep me from getting hungry, keeps me hydrated and gives me all kinds of good enzymes -- but it's a hassle -- I have to make it up each day. Sigh...

And still I'm having trouble -- once that weight goes on... Well you know...

Keep at it -- sometimes the wins are tiny -- but I guess we need to take them when we get them. : )

Yesterday was a "rest" day even though I did take a 30 minute brisk walk. Knee today is much better and not feeling any twinges (think I had one muscle too tight from previous exercise and it just needed to rest)

Today will be Disc #6 Legs and then some cardio.

Hi Rhea,
Just wanted to say hi and cheer you on. I am doing the challenge as well (have some work to do it you know what I mean, those pictures were a dose of reality that's for sure!). I am being methodical about my eats and my workouts are mostly STS and shock cardio as well although I am focusing on Meso 2.
Keep at it and I am glad to read that your knee is better. I'll be checking how you are doing here once in a while.
Cheers!

Haven't been able to post much. The BFFM posting takes a lot of my time and is required for the contest. But doing well. Still doing STS and then cardio between the weights. I think I"m going to start training with some friends to do a 10k in October. So a lot of jog/walking for me. Something with a goal.

I need to catch up. Here are my 3rd week measurements:

6/14

Weight: 161.7 (-1.9) (-5.3 total)
BF%: 25.2 (-3.25)
LBM: 120.95 (+1.35)
biceps: L= 12; R=12.5 (-.25, +.25) huh?
thighs" L= 25; R= 25.5 (no change, darn it)
hips: 43 1/8 (-1/8)
waist: 30" no change

Third straight week of really good nutrition. Still following a zig-zag pattern of approximately -20% of TDEE, -30% and refuel; even though technically I've never made it to my full TDEE or 2424 calories. Now that I have more LBM, I probably should recalculate.

Thanks for stopping by helened! Best of luck to you on the challenge. Hope you are accomplishing what you want.

Hi Rhea!

Am taking a tip from you and really watching my weight, but boy, it's hard -- this 5 lbs just don't want to come off -- but I'm determined. My weight is yo-yoing -- up down up down -- but I won't stop till it comes off.

Looks good. :D

KK - Can I make a suggestion? One of the things that the BFFM has you do is eat 5-6 mini meals a day. Also, always have a protein with your carbs to even out the blood sugar and to held "carry" the protein to your muscles. (I'm really being over broad with the info here) The reason for the mini-meals is that our bodies cannot store amino acids, but they can store the carbs. So if the body is short of amino acids when it needs it, it will rob your muscle tissue (basically you will lose your lean body mass) Less LBM means metabolism slowing because less LBM to burn the calories. In addition, too much restriction on the calorie end will make the body pop into the starvation mode where it will hord the calories (and save as fat) instead of expending them. Thus the mini-meals are to help with both the starvation mode and the LBM problem. Another trick is to only go about 20% less of your total daily calorie requirment (there is a couple of formulas to figure that out if you are interested) for three days and then go up to your full calorie requirement for one day. This is to help stay out of the starvation mode.

I can tell you that I've been eating a lot of food and the weight is slowly melting. I've also added with STS, a much more extensive weight program.

I know that the info was entirely overbroad and may not be exact, but I'll start putting the meals in here again so that you can see what I've been eating.

Week #5 figures

Okay,
weekly stuff:
Weight: 159.8 (-1.9)

biceps: L= 12.25; r= 12.5 (-.25 each)

waist: 29.5 - no change

hips: 42.75 (-7/ if I did my math right!

thighs: r = 25; l= 25 (same and a gain of .25?) These are always the hardest to measure since I'm trying to measure right at the saddle bags very high on top of the leg.

Chest: 35.5 (-1") Hmm, still got the chest even with loss, should go down even more in about a week.

BF% 25.2 no change darn it
LBM: went down 1.19 so LBM is now 119.54

Did okay on the nutrients, but need to work on getting the macros tweaked a little better. Want to be at higher protein and less carbs, but carbs keep beating protein by a few percentage points.

Training - last week I finished week#4 of the first meso cycle. Along with the STS, I did cardio between the days and on a couple of days (Thurs and last Monday) was run/walk training for 10k. Rather warm here now, so the run/walk at 6 p.m hurts a lot more!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.