Regarding smoking (cigarettes)??

Regarding smoking (cigarettes)??

• Total voters
Have noticed many posts lately regarding quiting smoking and was wondering how many people have quit....and how many still smoke. Personally, I have battled this for a long time. Have quit many time for a month...three months....six months...and quit one time for 4.5 years before starting back. Currently, I do smoke and am trying to get the courage to try to quit...yet again

I quit twenty years ago, but I smoked for 7 years, so I think I get to claim it wasn't easy!

I ended up quitting because I was pregnant.

Hi,

I have quit smoking two years ago. I have smoked 20 cigarettes per day (or some weekend even more) during 10 years.My DH has quit it for 3 years but he has start again as I was a vicious smoker. LOL And then after New Year's celebration he again has decided quiting smoking and I have tried it also with him- I did not belive me capablly to quit it,was afraid about change of my character,about my weight.. And I remember that the first week was terrible-my particular Black Week- and this was the reason I did not starting smoking -I don't want to return to live another Black Week.

I wish you all the courage you need for quiting smoking- Keep in your mind that smoking does not give you any solution to your problems. (it has been and being a motto that helped me.)

Good Luck,

Marketa Preisler

http://www.picturetrail.com/ribalta

I quit 9 1/2 years ago because I wanted to have a baby. It wasn't near as hard as people had told me it would be. You will feel SO MUCH BETTER when you quit. I don't even consider going back there because of how much harder my heart would pound when I just walked a few steps. I hated that heart pounding thing. Now only Cathe makes my heart pound that hard. If I can do it, anybody can. Good luck.
Lisa

Hi...I understand completely where you're coming from. I had battled quitting for years...quit for 3 1/2 years and then in 1997, like a complete fool, started back up again. I have finally quit for good...it will be a year March 6! I really believe I'll never go back this time. What I did different this time that worked (for me) was kind of a gradual "quitting mindset." I had only smoked about a half of a pack for the whole year prior to quitting, and only smoked in my garage or outside...when I finally decided to quit I used the Nicotrol inhaler (only through prescription) and it really did help me tremendously...I did use it for about 6 months into my quit, though, before I finally decided I didn't need it anymore. Now I really have NO desire to smoke and truly believe I won't go back...and I feel soooo much better. Every aspect of my fitness has really improved. Good luck with your quit! You CAN do it. :)

Needsmotivation,

I think any of us who have quit smoking know how hard it is to quit, and how easy it is to start up again, even after years of not smoking. It doesn't make you a bad person!

I started smoking at 10 and smoked for 24 years. I hate thinking about the permanent damage I have done to myself. I wish that I had had postive, fit role models at that time to encourage me to do something different with my life. You CAN be that positive role model to someone else if you quit (for good)!

You mention that you are looking for the courage to quit again...not to be harsh, but do you have the courage to face lung cancer? Heart disease? Quitting brings discomfort for some time, but it really is superficial compared to something like the pain of cancer or chemotherapy.

When I do a tough workout, I keep in my mind the old Marine mantra that "pain is weakness leaving the body", and it helps me push through. Maybe you could do the same sort of thing with the discomfort and withdrawal of quitting, telling yourself that the discomfort is all that crap and chemicals leaving your body, and what is remaining is a fresh, healthy you!:)

I truly wish you the best and hope that you realize that you are worth more than you are showing yourself by lighting up those things. Let us know how your journey is progressing, and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers:)

The decision to quit smoking DOES take a lot of courage!

I quit smoking just under one year ago and still can not believe that I did it! I smoked for 10-15 years and had tried atleast 3-4 times to quit before I was successful.

Don't let anyone tell you that it's easy so you should just be able to do it no problem! Maybe it is easy for some and God bless those few! But for most, it is quite the opposite experience!

I believe that I was able to successfully quit this time because I knew that until I quit, I could not start a family. The thought of allowing smoking to stop me from having a baby absolutely broke my heart so I dug deep down and found the strength to finally do it!

I wish you all of the luck in the world and remember, if you fail, don't beat yourself up about it...just regain your strength and try again! One day you WILL succeed!!!!:)

BTW-I also did not quit unassiststed this time, which I think helped alot as well. I used the Smoke Away system and I really believe that it helped me to get through it!!! Don't be afraid to look into aids to help you quit! You may think they are not so healthy for you...but before you decide against them, remember that they are only going to be used short term to help you quit a deadly habit...so yeah, they might not be the best for your health but they will do far less damage than continuing to smoke will. Just food for thought. :)

One last thing-You can not quit until YOU are ready! So don't let anyone push you into that either. You stop when you are ready.

PS-My mom quit for 3 solid years and ended up going back...It can be a life long battle but it's worth it.

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

Hi, I quit smoking june 29th 2000, and I can say that it was NOT easy for me. Every nite I would go to bed at 7:00pm just so I could have another day under my belt. The funny thing is, that is when i started working out regularly. I think that my new addiction became workouts because when I was pregnant and could not be as active, all I could think about was smoking.

I quit 7.5 years ago and have never "cheated" or "had just one, or even just a hit. I have always feared just a hit would make me an addict again.

It was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. My DH read that cooming off nicotine can be the same as someone coming off a heroine addiction, I can certainly see that!

HOWEVER, the strugle was so worth it. I am no longer a slave, my thoughts no longer get preoccuppied by when I can smoke. I don't stink, my house doesn't stink, my breathe doesn't stink. I CAN RUN!!! I get a ton out of my workouts. I have a healthy strong body.

I quit smoking in June of 1994 .... got tired of the smokers cough and the phlem...... so been smoke free for almost 11 yrs... Rhonda:7

Needsmotivation,

I have been smoke free for almost 2 years now. I smoked for 18 years. I did quit twice for my pregnancies. I have tried to quit several times after that, but just kept going back.

One day, my DH came home from work to tell me that his co-workers wife had a spot on her lung. I am very sad to say that she did pass away from lung cancer in a matter of months. She was only 33 & it makes me sad talking about her. We always hung out together at his Christmas parties etc. She was so sweet and so very young. She also left 2 children.

I decided to quit for good after at that point. I used the Nicotine Patch to aid in the quitting process. It was very tough, but had to force myself not to make excuses to smoke. You know mornings,after meals etc. I just kept going online to www.stopsmokingcenter.net every time I had a craving. They have a great board and support system. The website and board is free. All of the people are going through the same thing. Buy the time I finished reading someone's post, my craving would be gone. I highly recommend this site for anyone that wants to quit!

You'll get there eventually. Stay strong and good luck!!

Aila

I quit in December 1987...17 years ago! I still miss it every day....I guess I have an addictive personality. Now, I'm addicted to Cathe workouts!

Beth

I still miss it too...I no longer crave it though...that is the key for me...It would be nice to lite up but at this point it's not something I MUST do to feel good....thank goodness!:)

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

i started when i was 12. by 15, i was smoking a pack/day. on weekends and when drinking, much more. two years ago, got on wellbutrin and stopped. then, gradually, once i got off the meds, started back with occasional smoking. i still smoke every once in a while. since i hardly go out and rarely drink(even though i joke about drinking around here alot :p ) we go out w/ friends maybe 1-2 times/month and i will have a few cause i love to do it when i am drinking. other than that i never do and i don't crave it. nobody ream my ass!!! i'm just being honest!;)

jes

I quit on 9/1/1992, and it was EASY. I used the patches, and have not smoked since then. I'm a very addictive personality, too, so if I can do it, anyone can. I figured I have NOT smoked 131,000+ cigarettes (based on 1-1/2 packs a day) since I stopped. Isn't that disgusting?!

HI,

I quit on Thanksgiving 2003. I was tired of being tired and out of shape. I haven't looked back. It was tough. I can remember strong urges when I was driving in my car or after meals.

Now, my goal is to alter my eating behavior. I got the exercise thing down, but my eating is all over the place.

Theresa

Hi Needsmotivation!

I just recently stopped smoking - Dec 26th. I have been smoking on and off since I was 13 (and I'm almost 40). I smoked anywhere from 1 to 5 cigaretts a day. While that may not be much, I felt really lousey - tired, out of breath, coughing, sleeping problems, etc. It realy was affecting my workouts too.

I can only tell you how much better I look and feel! I have much more engergy I have since I quit too! I find I don't dread working out as much. I also don't lie awake feeling guilty (about smoking) anymore, and my strength and endurance levels during exercise have increased!

Now I am waiting impatiently for my boyfriend to quit. He's a two pack a day-er!! I'm trying not to nag - too much - and also be a good example for him.

I wish you the best of luck and strength in quitting. You can do it!!

A few things that worked for me when those cravings come around is a few deep breaths - like I'm taking a puff. Kinda strange, but it helped. Also, I had to "replace" my smoking time with something else. Ok so I chewed off my fingernails, but chewing gum has help me also.

Take Care,
Beaner

I smoked three packs a day for nearly twenty years. I've been smoke-free for around seven years now and can honestly say I rarely even think about them anymore. Not that I feel there's no chance I could ever start again. I could. In a heartbeat. One hit is all it would take.

I still enjoy the smell of other people's smoke and the smell of a new pack of menthols. For three or four years, I carried around an unlit cigarette (not my brand, and not menthol) to have something to do with my hands. It was not a temptation at all. In fact, it was like a security blanket. (Of course, this is coming from a person who comforted herself with the thought that I might one day come down with a fatal illness and could start smoking again because I was going to die anyway.)

It was NOT easy to quit smoking, but soooooooo worth it. And the best part is, a few years after I quit, my husband quit, too, and it was a lot easier for him since I wasn't smoking.

Shari

Hi there

I can sympathize with the difficulty of quitting smoking.

On February 18, 1990, I got clean and sober and a little over two years later in March of 1992, I quit smoking. It was harder than getting clean in many ways.

13 years later, I occasionally still get strong cravings for cigarettes. I miss the whole ritual and "feel" of smoking at times. I even have smoking dreams from time to time.

Several things have kept me from relapsing.

1. My husband would not stand for it (also a former smoker).
2. It would be a bad example for our five children (and hypocritical too, as we have spoken strongly on the evils of smoking)
3. I have better health than I would have if I had continued to smoke all these years.
4. My breath, clothes, and house don't have that smoker smell.
5. My skin is younger looking than it would be if I'd continued to smoke.
6. I have saved thousands of dollars from literally going up in smoke. I simply could not afford the habit now--not on one income with five kiddos. My hubby and I at times like to figure out how much money we have saved ourselves by estimating the life time cost of smoking--It's a lot of money.

Sorry this is such a long post. I encourage you to continue to try to quit. It will be so good for you in so many ways, but I understand that it is hard. I think that nicotine is one of the most addictive substances there is.

Keep us posted on your efforts and don't give up!

take care
Maggie:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.