Reebok Step or The Step??

lynnesq2

Cathlete
Dear Educated Crowd:
There was recently a post about smaller (home version) steps. I have a smaller version step and am contemplating purchasing a full size. My question is, does anyone have any recommendations as to which step is better, the Reebok (which goes to 10 inches) or The Step (as shown in Cathe's videos)?
I really thought i was getting just as good of a workout on my little step (even though I use 2 risers, at 8inches), but am hearing that I would get a better workout from the full size.
Also, I think i read somewhere that there is more "cushion" in The Step step, vs. the Reebok. Any advice?
Thanks!!
Lynne

Hi Lynne!

I have "The Step" and I LOVE it. One of my favorite purchases besides my BB & DB's! I can't imagine needing a 10" height. The highest I have ever used is 8" for stepping. I do use EXTRA risers for using it as a weight bench but even 8" is fine for that. I also started off with a smaller version and didn't know what I was missing til I got the longer version. Go for it. It will make all the difference in your workouts and you won't worry as much about falling off the sides for such moves as Up-Jack, Down-Jack or Horsehoes. (just a couple of examples) Hope this helps.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Hi Lynne!

Are you saying that "the Step" does not have risers such that you can do a step routine on 10 inches? I often use my (Reebok)step on 10 inches and keep things low impact. I've considered "the Step" because I heard it was more cushiony too.

Ditto

I completely agree with Debbie. I also started out with a smaller step (BodyShaping) and thought I was getting a fine workout. Then I splurged on a Step Co. step and will never go back. If the 4 risers that come with it aren't enough, you can always order more...although I personally can't imagine ever doing Cathe on 10". You might want to check out the new Super Step which most of us are dying for ;-)

http://www.fitmomsonline.com/allisig1-2.jpg
Mommy to Zachary, Jillian and Baby Katie due February 24, 2002​

I was going to buy "the Step" a few months ago but decided to buy "The Reebok" step because it was cheaper in a local Sports Authority store. I'm happy with it. For years I had this cheapo one which has a very slippery top and I only keep that around with no risers when I do tapes that you need to switch from a high riser to a low riser really quickly.
Good luck in your purchase
Faythe

Hi. :)
I've had my Reebok step (which I use at 6 inches for stepping, and 8 or 10 inches as a weight bench) for about 5 or 6 years. I love the stability of it, but I do think it may be a couple of inches shorter than The Step. This doesn't make a difference--it's not short, its just maybe a tiny bit shortER... I don't notice any less cushion-y-ness to it--I've used the Step Co. step at gyms in the past. One thing I disliked about the Step Co. version was that the top corners would start to peel off--but that was in a gym where it probably wasn't being treated as carefully as you will treat yours. Also, there were little black circular pads on the bottom of the risers (I think), and when they broke off the whole thing would be a little shaky. I don't know if they're still made this way.
Someone mentioned the Super Step, but that isn't for stepping, just to be used as a weight bench...
Also, under the advice of Cathe and others, if you do get the Reebok one, you shouldn't use it at 10 inches for stepping. :) Wendy

Why was it said that you shouldn't step on 10 inches?

As I said, I do it quite frequently and take the power/jumps/high impact out of the moves. My reasons are twofold: 1.) my feet get sore with too much jumping 2.) I feel like jumping puts more emphasis on calves while higher step & low impact keeps it on the thighs.

I do have a bit of trouble keeping up with Cathe, but no one else on 10 inches. I am pretty quick at modifying though. For instance, I won't always "turn, over face it over"--I just go voer, and my double ricochets aren't over the top, but just off the side.

I have never have knee problems (12 years stepping) but my lower back gets sore sometimes.

Jeanne

Jeanne,

Just a word of caution - I never had knee problems and was doing my step videos (including Cathe) on the Reebok Step at 10 inches. Well -- that's right, I GOT knee problems after years of NEVER having suffered any injuries at all. I am 37 -- don't know how old you are, but I found that keeping the step at 8" was MUCH better on my knees (no more problems) and I still get an incredible workout -- I can concentrate on the moves and on my intensity rather than worrying about falling off! HA! Good luck, and as they say - Listen to your body! and take it easy. K--

Hi Ladies and thanks for the input. I too heard that you shouldn't step on 10 inches (i think it may depend on your height, though);(there is probably no way i could do Cathe on 10 inches anyway, even after using her tapes for years.) I had an ACL reconstructin a few years ago and 10 inches would probably kill me.
that is also why i was wondering about the "cushion -i-ness" of the steps, b/c of my knee.
I totally agree about the moves on a smaller step - having to concentrate not falling off the step; that distracts from the workout.
I'm definitely going to get the bigger step! Thanks again this forum is so great! :)
Lynne

10 inch step

I think Cathe's opinion was that the risk of injury was too high on a ten inch step to justify any minimal gains you would get by stepping at that height.
Erica

Hey Lynne, Ive had BOTH and belive me The Step is soooo much better, and YES it is more "Cushiony" then Reebok. I have knee problems and the Step is much more forgiving. It is also wider and longer so it works much better for Cathes tapes. I am so glad that I got it and I think it was actually LESS than Reebok. Judy

Alli...

Hmmm... I don't know. I don't have it, but I asked Cathe when they first posted pictures of the new videos, and she said it was just to be used as a lifting bench.
It's so funky ;-)
Wendy
PS how are you feeling? Coming up on the last few months, right? :)

Wendy

Maybe we should email the people who make the step and ask if there's any reason not to use it for stepping. I have my heart set on it :)

Feeling pretty good. Yep, I've just started my last trimester. Can't believe how this pregnancy is blowing on by.

Thanks for asking :)

http://www.fitmomsonline.com/allisig1-2.jpg
Mommy to Zachary, Jillian and Baby Katie due February 24, 2002​

I originally bought a full-length Bollinger step, which looks almost identical to "The Step" (square risers). I never felt stable on it (the board kept on shifting on the risers)plus I found it made a racket every time I used it. I live in an apartment so I have to watch the noise level when I work out at 5:30 a.m. I also found it too long for my limited workout space.

I also hated having to set it up every morning.

I went out and bought the full-length Reebok step and I've been very happy with it. I like the way the risers lock into place and have felt very "safe" on it. Plus it's not as noisy and more space efficient.

So my vote is for the Reebok step!

Patricia

I agree with Patricia,
The Reebok step is nice because when you go to do you workout you can carry it in one piece. I had the step and it just made to much noise to my liking. The Reebok is MUCH quieter. Good luck with you decision!!:D

Another vote for the Reebok step!!

Hi all,

I have to agree with Nicole about the Reebok step - carrying it in one piece is a great advantage. It is also very sturdy.

I truly enjoy my Reebok step. It is the first and only step I have purchased, I've never use the Step Co. step. There is one thing I would warn you about... from specs I've researched online, it looks like the front-to-back distance of the Reebok is a bit less than that of the Step Co. Perhaps this is not a problem since it makes the straddling moves a little easier. Likewise with the length. GO WITH THE LONGER STEP... you don't want to fall off the end and twist/sprain/break anything. The longer the step, the more energy you can put into the workout. I've used shorter steps and I feel much more restrained than on my Reebok.

Just my 2 cents.

Lizzie

Patricia: oh no! I went out and bought what i thought was "The Step" but on the side of the step it says "bollinger." I hope i didn't get the one you were talking about, b/c it looks very similar to "The Step." i went and bought it b/f reading the last 3 posts, which are votes for the reebok step.
I hate to make such a big deal about a step, but when you do tons of step aerobics, which i do, a good step is so important!
do you know how i can tell if mine is a bollinger or "the step?"
Lynne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.