Question re hand weights/dumbell workouts

Yvanna

Cathlete
Hello,
I am wondering if there are any high rep low weight cathe workouts that use hand weights alone.
Also - what type of equipment do we need to do the Ice DVDs ?

Thank you

Hello,
I am wondering if there are any high rep low weight cathe workouts that use hand weights alone.
Also - what type of equipment do we need to do the Ice DVDs ?

Thank you

ICE series requires little equipment. I haven't done every workout in the series yet, but it is my understanding that you need a step, a mat and a series of dumbbells of different weights.

For dumbbell only body/weight training with Cathe, you have a few options: Flextrain and Supercuts.

Entertain also the option of including her metabolic conditioning and circuit training DVDs for additional weight training as they all use dumbbells extensively. You could always use 2 or 3 of them back to back to create your own workout, using the premix options to eliminate cardio blasts and just focus on the low weight/high rep training sections to really burn those muscles. I often do this with Kelly Coffey Meyer's DVDs (and note, in passing, that she almost exclusively uses dumbbells only in her weight training DVDs ...)

Bear in mind also, however, that even if Cathe uses a barbell for certain exercises in a weight training DVD, you do not have to as you can easily substitute hand weights for that bar. For example, I NEVER use a bar for plie/sumo squats even when Cathe does. I find it throws my weight/upper body too far forwards when squatting down, so I always choose to hold a heavy dumbbell, usually at chest level in 2 hands, a 20 pounder or 25 pounder, and this works so much better for me as I can go lower into the squat and straight downwards without too much forward tilt. While the feel of the exercise may be different, I do not believe there is a single Cathe DVD where you could not sub the bar for dumbbells should you choose to do so, so go ahead and place that order!

High rep, low weight DVDs among Cathe's collection would lead you to Power Hour, Muscle Endurance, High Reps, Muscle Endurance, Pyramid Upper Body and Pyramid Lower Body, Upper and Lower Body Tri-sets, etc, etc. If you go to the "shop" tab on Cath'e home page and follow links to individual DVDs or DVD series, you can click on each workout and view extensive clips to let you get a feel for each workout and start getting excited.

Hope this information helps,

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.