Question for anyone who has taken melatonin

BAM

Cathlete
I've had sleep issues for many years. Some time ago, I tried a 5mg melatonin but it drugged me too much. I have a very sensitive system. I received a sample of a 5mg sublingual one, cut it in half and took that. It helped me sleep but I felt drugged well into the day. I purchased a 1mg sublingual and although it has helped me sleep, I am waking up in the middle of the night or early morning since taking it. I decided to cut that dose in half and have been on that for a couple of days. There are no real changes as of yet. Has anyone else experienced this? I've only been using it for a couple of weeks. It does help me go to sleep but I'm more tired now during the day than I was before. Perhaps my body is still adjusting to it? Can you share your experiences with melatonin and let me know if this has happened to you?

It also creates some wild dreams. :eek: In reading reviews, many others experience the same thing. I wonder why.

Thank you!
Bam

I took it for a week or so. It only worked for two days. I don't remember feeling lethargic or hallucinating. Have you tried herb teas? On the days I don't feel I need a sleeping pill, I use Sleepytime Extra herb tea and catnip tea. They really help me relax so I can get to sleep.

I've had sleep issues for many years. Some time ago, I tried a 5mg melatonin but it drugged me too much. I have a very sensitive system. I received a sample of a 5mg sublingual one, cut it in half and took that. It helped me sleep but I felt drugged well into the day. I purchased a 1mg sublingual and although it has helped me sleep, I am waking up in the middle of the night or early morning since taking it. I decided to cut that dose in half and have been on that for a couple of days. There are no real changes as of yet. Has anyone else experienced this? I've only been using it for a couple of weeks. It does help me go to sleep but I'm more tired now during the day than I was before. Perhaps my body is still adjusting to it? Can you share your experiences with melatonin and let me know if this has happened to you?

It also creates some wild dreams. :eek: In reading reviews, many others experience the same thing. I wonder why.

Thank you!
Bam

You might want to check out Dr. Oz's website. He did a show on this exact thing a couple weeks ago and it was very interesting.

Hi,

I tried Melatonin and it didn't do anything. Maybe my dose was low. I agree with using the Sleeptime Extra ( the "extra" being valarian root extract I believe). I also take a benadryl ( 25 mg) every night which helps.

Thanks for your responses! I have tried various herbal remedies and they may have helped me relax a bit but didn't altar my sleep patterns. I will definitely check Dr. Oz's sight.

Thanks again!
Bam

I have tried melatonin several times and it always gives me that drugged feeling as well, no hallucinations though. Towards the end of the summer I was going through a bout of sleepless nights. I tried everything, Melatonin, Z-Quil, gummies for sleeplessness. You name it. I wish I could tell you a surefire product that worked for me but there was none.
I am back to good sleep so it may have been stress at the time. I always take a hot bath before bed to wind down. Sleepytime tea helps to relax.
I sympathize with your situation. Hope you get some restful sleep soon.

Maynardsmom, I've often heard that taking a hot shower/bath before bed helps. I've done it mabye a couple of times so perhaps I need to try that again. I'm so glad you're getting good sleep again. When we don't get good sleep, it effects our entire day. :(

Melagras, I've been peri-menopausal for probably 15 years :rolleyes: and I'm sure that's having an impact. I've done quite a few things to balance out my hormones but haven't found something yet that my body accepts.

Thanks everyone!
Bam

Bam, I was doing this same thing when I was in my mid-40s. It was hell for me. I know it can be expensive, but have you tried massage therapy? If you can't afford it, try soaking in a hot bath with epsom salts every night. It is safe to use on a regular basis.

Also, are you exercising on a regular basis? It helps me to do a kick butt workout like Imax2, Insanity, etc.

Oh, melagras, I love your suggestions. Unfortunately I've been unemployed for waaaaaaay too long and my finances are a bit strained. I used to go to massage therapists for all of my muscular issues (yes, there are many and still are) and although I'm sure my body was receiving good stuff, it never had any long term benefits. My exercising, unfortunately, is very limited. I've got so many problematic muscles and can't get them to release. Even walking is causing me much pain. ARGH! Yep, I'm a mess! :mad: BUT, I still keep plugging along and look for solutions that I can do. Even though I'm not a bath person, perhaps I can commit myself to the epsom salt bath as I know it can help. Something's gotta help me with all of my issues without having to spend money that I don't have! :D

Thank you for your continued suggestions. It is truly MUCH appreciated. :)

Bam

Oh, melagras, I love your suggestions. Unfortunately I've been unemployed for waaaaaaay too long and my finances are a bit strained. I used to go to massage therapists for all of my muscular issues (yes, there are many and still are) and although I'm sure my body was receiving good stuff, it never had any long term benefits. My exercising, unfortunately, is very limited. I've got so many problematic muscles and can't get them to release. Even walking is causing me much pain. ARGH! Yep, I'm a mess! :mad: BUT, I still keep plugging along and look for solutions that I can do. Even though I'm not a bath person, perhaps I can commit myself to the epsom salt bath as I know it can help. Something's gotta help me with all of my issues without having to spend money that I don't have! :D

Thank you for your continued suggestions. It is truly MUCH appreciated. :)

Bam
I think some other threads have mentioned a daily yoga workout that is available online. I'm not sure if there is a subscription fee or not. I think yoga would really help. Also, I've never tried it but I would give meditation a shot. See what you can find on Youtube.

I've been having trouble falling and staying asleep the last 3 weeks probably...Sleepy Time tea has always been a nighttime ritual for me, even when I'm not having sleep issues. But it alone wasn't doing the trick lately (stress is my problem), so for the last 5 nights I've been taking 3mg of Melatonin. It's helped me fall asleep, and stay asleep, mostly! I woke up in the middle of the night last night and although I was sleepy, there were just too many thoughts swirling around to get back to sleep.

I'm going to keep at the melatonin though, and I'm also going to get the sleepy time Extra. I've had that before, but not in some time now. I went to make myself a cup of regular old sleepy time tea last night and saw that I was out, that alone was stressful, so maybe that's what woke me !!! lol

I've been having trouble falling and staying asleep the last 3 weeks probably...Sleepy Time tea has always been a nighttime ritual for me, even when I'm not having sleep issues. But it alone wasn't doing the trick lately (stress is my problem), so for the last 5 nights I've been taking 3mg of Melatonin. It's helped me fall asleep, and stay asleep, mostly! I woke up in the middle of the night last night and although I was sleepy, there were just too many thoughts swirling around to get back to sleep.

I'm going to keep at the melatonin though, and I'm also going to get the sleepy time Extra. I've had that before, but not in some time now. I went to make myself a cup of regular old sleepy time tea last night and saw that I was out, that alone was stressful, so maybe that's what woke me !!! lol
Have you tried catnip tea? When Celestial Seasonings dropped Tension Tamer Extra, I went into panic mode. I found catnip tea on Amazon and love it. I drink it along with Sleepytime Extra and it does the trick.

I have had insomnia in the past. I found that a warm bath with epsom salts and dresdner brand lavender bath salts really helped me sleep. I recommend starting with just a teaspoon of the bath salts. Its potent. You can buy a small one dose size pouch instead of the large plastic jars that I buy. Yoga does help. I like meditation. It will help me sleep even if I am not quite yet tired. Be sure to use a set of headphones that are comfy and easy to wear for night time, because if you fall asleep wearing them and try to roll over, you will wake up. There is also some music designed to help with sleep which I find soothing. There is a free podcast 'relaxation music for sleep' and the clips are about 5 minutes long. I string them together and make a sleepy time play list.

Have you tried catnip tea? When Celestial Seasonings dropped Tension Tamer Extra, I went into panic mode. I found catnip tea on Amazon and love it. I drink it along with Sleepytime Extra and it does the trick.

I just looked catnip tea up and I'm intrigued, thank you!

Another thing that I do lately is to turn on my television to the Soundscapes channel and let it play softly. That way no headphones to be in the way if I fall asleep.

I was having trouble with insomnia and irritability a few years ago due to peri menopause. I think the irritability was exacberated by the lack of sleep. I started taking 100mg 5htp and 400mg of SAME about 2 years ago and have never had that problem since. I know there are differing opinions about 5htp, but it has worked wonders for me. Now I'm well rested and chipper most days.

It is so great to see that you are not the only one suffering through sleeplessness - it is SO frustrating to go to the doctor and they just look at you and say 'oh you're under stress'. Well, like yeah :mad: And all they want to do is put you on a sleeping pill with side effects that keep you up at night :)

I take this - MidNite for Menopause | MidNite - Usually have a coupon for it and you can find it for a decent price. It's 1.5 mg of melatonin, which for me is just right. I've found with melatonin that you have to find the perfect dose for your body.

I've also tried GNC's Natra Sleep - GNC Herbal Plus® Standardized Natra Sleep™ - GNC HERBAL PLUS STANDARDIZED - GNC it's kind of like the wonderful Sleepytime/Tension Tamer teas.

I've always been a vivid dreamer, so the wild dreams that I get on melatonin are just a little more whacky than normal :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.