Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Already a member? Simply log in above.

1. Deal of the Week

Question about Almond Milk

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jane A, May 23, 2010.

1. Jane A Cathlete

There recently was a thread (by Jules, I think) about Almond / Rice/ Coconut Milk, and your responses inspired me to try Almond Breeze. I love it! Thanks!!

I have a question, though. How long does it stay good after you open it? Will it smell funny when it's too old?

2. JanetP1507 Cathlete

My Almond Breeze has an expiration date stamped on the top which is February (I just bought it 2 days ago). I usually drink mine within 2 weeks after opening it and I have never noticed it going bad during that time. Maybe I drink it too fast so I haven't had that problem? :p

3. LastTango Cathlete

I was about to buy some Almond or Coconut milk when I was in Whole Foods yesterday, but instead, I bought some Hemp milk. It is a really good source of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, not to mention B vitamins. I got the unsweetened original and vanilla flavors to try. I used some this morning in my home-made Vanilla Latte....cuts out some calories and fat while still being nutritious. I can see I'll have to make another trip to buy more.

4. PhyllisG Cathlete

Almond, hemp, coconut milk--I think they are all good and usually buy whatever is on sale. I have not had any problems with any of them going bad like you have with dairy.

5. nspire Cathlete

Whatever you do, don't freeze it. I bought two cartons of Silk Almond milk because I had a coupon, buy one get one free. Well, I froze one because I knew it would be a few weeks before I would get to the second carton and once I thawed it out, it had a weird look to it. Not sure if anyone else had this experience.

6. lisa_la_machina Cathlete

The instructions on the 32 oz Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze box say to refrigerate after opening and to use within 7-10 days of opening. I agree with another poster that my almond milk has never turned funky like dairy milk, but I also use it so often that I have never had an opened container in the fridge for more than 2 weeks.

7. Jane A Cathlete

Thanks for your responses -- so helpful. This forum's great!

8. boilerchick Cathlete

Great question. I've recently started using Almond Breeze (mostly in my smoothies) and I love it! The carton says good for 7-10 days after opening, but I've used it longer. I've probably used some that's been open 3 weeks, and it was perfectly fine.

9. Stephanie0523 Cathlete

I buy the smaller non-referigerated carton (which you refrigerate after opening), so that I can use it up within the 7 to 10 days. Man, I love this stuff! Sooooo good on cereal!! :p