Q for instructors/trainers

Connie1

Cathlete
Now that I might have passed the ACE PT exam (official results expected in 3 weeks) I think it is possible that I could actually work in a gym as a Personal Trainer. I would also love to teach a step class, and/or a strength training class.

I would so much love to have gym priveleges available to me, not to mention a few bucks for this.

My current job is only Monday through Thursday and there are several gyms in the area that are less than 15 minutes' drive from my home and my office.

My q's are:1. How did you all design your first step class? (I have ordered 2 music CD's, the cathe one from power music and the other one from dynamix) each is 60 minutes long.

2. How do you go from a participant to an instructor? Sounds like a hurdle!

3. I have the phone number/email of the woman who directs the group program at one gym- and I recognize her name from other local gyms' class schedules. I haven't called her yet because I want to ask the right questions! What are the important questions to ask?

I know dental hygiene (license= immediate work at the top pay) but the fitness profession is very different.

Any answers, and insights into questions that I may not have asked are welcome!

No matter what happens, I plan on not selling any nutritional advice (except free comments) but instead, referring people to registered dieticians for that. I plan on following the lead of Cathe and others on that score, and specializing in exercise and fitness. I plan to get certified in group instruction within the next year, unless I learn that it is not necessary.

I make too much money :p at my job to plan on replacing it full time, but I am flexible on that! It depends what doors God opens for me.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
-Connie

I just sent her an e-mail. Yes, Francine has been a great motivation to me (I printed out a message from her, to someone here a while back, listing all the reasons we work so hard at fitness, and I still read it!)

A-jock, H-bunch, and all you pros out there, tell me what the club people want to hear. Then I can tailor my goals/ my spiel/ my experience. I have e-mailed a local instructor with the same q's so I hope she'll tell me something.
-Connie

Congratulations Connie! I am sure you passed with flying colors. Good luck with your venture into a fitness profession.

Hey Connie!
I emailed you back!I hope you find the info I sent useful and most of your questions were answered! I'm sure more q's popped up from my reply}( Shoot away, you can always get ahold of me at my email! I wanted to add that you may want to email Ajock and HB in case they didn't see this post!

All trainer's /group fitness instructors out there please chime in and share your thoughts/experiences on how you started out!

The more insight the better, if you don't want to reply here, just email Connie by clicking on her icon , we all have something to share about starting out, even if it's just to wish her well on her fitness endeavors or re-assure her that the nervousnous is normal:p

Thanks, Trevor! A comment from you a long while back was motivating! You asked me if I was a personal trainer- well I remembered that!

Thanks for your kind words-
-Connie

Hi, Sherry!

So far I'm doing just like you - well- except I haven't got my cert yet! I hope I did pass the exam. Anyway Francine has replied to my e-mail with a treasure trove of tips and tricks.

There is a lot to know about fitness and the whole fitness industry and I have just scratched the surface.

BTW I love your row of little jumping guys!:p

Being a personal trainer is a completely different thing than leading a group fitness class. For group fitness I suggest a certification that also has a practical, cause they teach you how to cue, on the beat, (how to teach on a 32-count phrase) how to build combinations, how to logically go from the right lead to the left lead etc. These things are hard to learn from a piece of paper. I can't recommend which organisation to go to, since I got my certification in the Netherlands, Europe.

Yes, and I plan to do that very soon. I believe a local gym here might have a respectable instructor training program. I will find out within the next week.:7

Hi...haven't had the chance to read through all replies, but have to chime in:

I've been AFAA Group Instructor certified twice -- not to knock it at all, but the practical teaching is *key*. The best way I learned to organize a class was by an instructor! My first aerobics coordinator counted through the music with me (most important), and while I created the details, she gave me a basic template to follow for my first aerobic weight training class. I actually taught half of my first class at that gym, and a fellow instructor taught the rest. That's an idea to ease your way into it. Once you "own" your class, you'll shine and breeze right through it. Make it your own.

Another thing, and this is universal -- Never be afraid to ask. Everyone starts somewhere, so don't be intimidated to call that coordinator up and tell her you are thrilled to begin in the industry, but you might need some pointers. Get her to watch 10 minutes of your class you've practiced and ask for feedback.

I also taught at The Firm, and the critiquing was key. The instructor trainer noted every last detail of my "performance" -- cueing, form, eye contact, intro, final stretches -- you name it, she noted it good or bad. Expect constructive criticism. That's the only way to improve.

Finally, good for you to pay it forward. I stopped teaching for a while after I moved last year, and whenever I went home, I'd give my mother little training sessions. One day she said to me, "Why aren't you doing this for other people?! You know it, you need to pass it on!" So, I got recertified after having let my certification expire, and it's been wonderful. Yes, I enjoyed the break, but I also know that I've gotta have my *own* workout time, too. Don't get burned out, but practice, practice, practice. Give yourself a pat on the back while you're at it! CHEERS!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.