Protein powders ?

Connie34

Hello everyone..is it Friday yet?! So, what is everyone eating these days? I'm just into my 4th month, and have been gaining weight-a lot! My body grabs onto extra calories and holds onto them...anyway, is anyone using protein powders for snacks? I quit using them as soon as I found out I was pregnant, since I was afraid the added nutrients may be harmful...but if there isn't any added supplements in the powders, would they still be safe? I was thinking of using in place of ice cream!!! I gained a lot of weight with my 1st born and I think it was the nightly ice cream that did my but in!!

Thanks for any advice

Connie

Maybe others could provide better advice in regard to this (I have no experience with eating these at all), but I would be unsure or wary of taking a protein powder. I would suggest asking your doctor or midwife about it before coming to a decision.

Someone here a few months ago suggested that belly bars were really good. Maybe they would be a good substitute for ice cream? They have about 8 grams of protein per bar plus a lot of vitamins and minerals that are good for pregnancy.

connie, no advice about the protein powder - definately recommend asking your doc - but as far as weight, i gained most of my pregnancy weight in the first 4 months. like you, i think my body grabbed what it could (my obsession with cookies did not help). aftermonth 4 though, my weight gain really really tapered off. someone else here told me you just do the best you can to get thru the first 3-4 months and try not to worry too much about it. that said, i worried a lot, but again, the weight gain totally leveled off. for me, that is just when i gained, despite continued exercise.

I am 32 weeks and I still use protein powders. I drink a protein shake after I lift weights, which is 3 shakes a week. I haven't had any problems.:D

I've been using Nutribiotics Chocolate Rice Protein Powder (I order from Vitacost.com) I like it because it doesn't have hardly anything other than pure vegan protein:

Ingredients: Enzymatically processed rice protein from California brown rice, natural chocolate flavor, guar gum, xanthan gum.

The flavor is not strong at all (pretty bland) so you would probably want to throw some fruit (banana, mango, other) in plus anything else you like to add. (I add wheat germ, banana, nuts, some other things). There are also other flavors - vanilla, berry and I think plain - but I prefer the chocolate.

I've been using this stuff for several years now and throughout my pregancy (due date = November 26!!).

good luck with your decision!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.