Pre-order excitement (but not Cathe this time) :)

UnstrungHarp

Cathlete
At least, I think it's exciting, anyway. I just pre-ordered my iPad from Apple, which is supposedly going to be delivered to me on April 3. I'm relieved that I don't have to drive to an Apple Store and fight the crowd.

I have never been an early adopter when it comes to technology, but this time I'm taking the chance. I have used both an iPhone and iPod Touch, plus I had a Kindle 2 for a short while before selling it on eBay. (I liked it, but the slow speed got on my nerves, then I heard the iPad was coming...) For me, I envision the iPad serving the purpose of an iPod and an e-book reader as well as other uses solely for entertainment. Yes, I know the iPad is supposed to be "too big" to be an iPod, but that's not true for me. Pretty much the only time I listen to an iPod is when I'm driving alone, so I've got the whole passenger seat to hold it. It's just the right size for an e-book reader. And, I carry an enormous purse, so there you go.

I know there are tons of iPad-haters out there from reading comments to news articles, etc. Everybody has different needs and expectations though...I don't expect this to replace a computer - I still have 3 Macs in the house, and iPod Touch, which I might sell once I get used to the iPad. I also don't want to take pictures with it or do anything with a webcam, so the lack of a camera is a big "so what?" for me. The only problem I foresee with it is that it might encourage me to download games or other fun apps, and I really have no time for any more time-wasters. :)

Anybody else pre-ordering? Waiting for version 2.0 and/or a price drop?

Hurry up, April 3! :D

I honestly did not see the use in this. I have a touch, and a Toshiba netbook, and of course a regular desktop at home. I did not see how this fit any nitch in my life. So for me, I am in line with the people who do not see why this is out there.

I honestly did not see the use in this. I have a touch, and a Toshiba netbook, and of course a regular desktop at home. I did not see how this fit any nitch in my life. So for me, I am in line with the people who do not see why this is out there.

Thats what a lot of people said when they first introduced iTunes and the iPhone. I think it will be very interesting to see what happens and how this effects the tech market in general.

Not that I don't see your point.

I could see the use of the Iphone, but this is inbetween that and a netbook, although the fact it is thin, is cool. The cost is more than a netbook, and I find a netbook more useful. I love my touch, and use it a lot, just don't think this would be of interest to me.

I've been anticipating the release of the Ipad too and was super excited to get the notice about the start of the preorder. Then I went to the website to order only to find out that if you want the 3G service (with the default) wifi you have to pay extra for the device and then a monthly fee on top of that just to use the 3G. I assumed (I know never assume :))since I already have the iphone I would be able to tack it on to my already paid service but it doesn't look like it. Needless to say I didn't preorder yet. I guess I'm not sure if purchasing just wi-fi capability is worth it? As in what capability do you lose? What do you think?

Browsing the web with the iPad will be limited to when you are in wi-fi hotspots like at Starbucks or at some airports, and if you have wireless broadband at home if you get the wi-fi model. Which to me is good enough for my preferences (I like bare bones cell phones that can be used to make calls and text, with my entertainment/web browsing device as a separate device).

Without 3g, the iPad is still useful if you like watching movies on commutes/flights/beach/wherever, or want to use it to read electronic books without needing a device like the Kindle.

The iPad is a great choice for people who dont yet have the iPhone or iTouch in my opinion. If you have one of these devices, you may want to continue using what you have until the next generation of iPad before upgrading. iPad competitor tablets are already sprouting web-cameras (for web chat or to take pics) and USB ports so there is quite a bit to look forward to in the next release of the iPad.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.