Post Tonisilectomy

Hey All :) My 16 year old daughter Marley is having her tonsils out (finally!) on Thursday and I'm here to pick your brains about foods for afterwards (the classic 'unlimited ice cream' notwithstanding).

I feel so bad for her. Her best friend turns 16 on Saturday and is having a big bash on one of the Thousand Islands boat cruises. Marley thinks she'll be up for it but between the general anaesthetic hangover and the post surgery pain, I have my doubts. Some good food may be a small consolation but I want to do what I can. I'd love to hear how your kids (whatever age) were for the first week to 10 days post surgery.

Thanks!!

Take Care
Laurie

I was about 25 when I had my tonsils out. this was in about 1978 so maybe things about the surgery have changed but I ate soup, applesauce, soft cereal, cheese. anything not scratchy going down. I suppose jello but I hate that stuff. a little ice cream. sipped non citrus juice, water, milk. my throat was sore enough that I didn't want to eat much (or exercise) and I lost a couple pounds. talking was fairly unpleasant. I felt good enough to go to the beach and sit in the sun in 2 days and read. I was off work for at least 2 weeks because my job involved a lot of talking.

Best of luck to her. I only regret I didn't do it sooner. I've never had a bad sore throat since and used to get sick constantly before the T&A. constantly.

Laurie - I was right around 18 when I had mine taken out. I remember eating lots of pudding, jello, & ice cream. Whenever I was sick as a kid, my mom would make me Cream of Chicken soup and then when it was heated, add some potato buds to it and let it sit for a few minutes. Made kind of a smooth "potato" soup. I lived on this when I had my tonsils taken out. Try to stay away from anything acidic - orange juice, tomato soup, etc... All of that will be MURDER for her going down. It really took me a while to be able to eat anything solid again. I lost some good weight during that recovery! ;) I doubt she is going to feel up to a boat cruise on Saturday. I was pretty sick at my stomach for a few days after my op. I actually threw up for a day or two, how awful is that! Makes me cringe... Hopefully, her recovery goes very smoothly!

I was 19 when I had it done. I remember trying to eat dairy stuff it felt like it was 'clogging' my throat. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Anyway, I ended up eating a lot of non dairy stuff - like smoothies (with a touch of milk or soy milk) and tomato soup. I also ate canned fruit (it's much softer) and frozen fruit bars. HTH!

Carolyn

The others have given great suggestions above. I also had mine out in August 2001, I was 20. It might be different for someone a little younger like your daughter, but just a heads-up anyway:

The first few days were like cake to me - I was still pretty medicated from the surgery, watched great tv, read books, had a lot of attention (ha), but once that wore off, it got hard. At first, I was eating yogurt, popsicles, applesauce, eggs, grits, etc. But, I started the throw up cycle, too: Couldn't keep food down b/c I was nauseated from the medicine, couldn't keep the medicine down b/c nothing in the stomach, etc. etc. etc. Tried suppositories for the upset stomach, but that didn't work. My ears hurt, I didn't sleep well, and about the only thing I could handle was warm milk for the last few days. I was miserable, and normally, I'm a pretty darn tough gal.

Wish I had a more pleasant story, but this is the truth. Just baby your "little one" as much as possible, and try to keep her hydrated and fed!

;-)

I was 27 when I had mine out. I remember lots of popsicles, mashed potatoes and other soft foods.

I hope that your daughter will be able to be up for the B-day party bash...I know that I wouldn't have been up to it!

I didn't have a lot of throat pain because of the surgery, but I had a lot of neck pain from the positioning of my head for the surgery. I slept sitting up for the first week or so. Oh, and they say you lose weight....NOT! At least I didn't, but then again, being a nurse, I was used to going 10-12 hrs w/o eating when I worked.

Laurie,

My five year old had them out in September and nothing usually bothers him but this sure did. He layed around and didn't eat or drink for the first day. The nurse said he needed only 3 oz. an hr of liquid so that made me feel better. I wanted him to drink 24 oz or something crazy. He didn't want food but we did do the soft canned fruit, soups but strain out big chunks of things and lots of gatorade. The dairy things can make their throat feel clogged. It is harded to "wash" down. I am glad we did it but it was tough. He had strep throat all the time and he couldn't breath because his tonsils would swell up. It took the full 14 days for him to get back to normal but he was sneaking bread that hurt his throat. He loves a plain slice of bread, go figure. Make sure you just give her lots of love. At least you won't have to fight an 18 yr old to get her to take the pain medicine and anitbiotics. It looked like a pretty tough thing to go through.

Vicky

Sorry, she is 16 not 18. But she should still be good for you on the medicine. Just remember to keep on top of the timing of it so that it doesn't wear off. If Brett waited or was stubborn he had a harder time. The first few days they will really help her.

Thanks for your input everyone. I'm surprised at how many of you were older when you got yours out. There was a lot of resistance from the Dr.s to take Marley's tonsils out. Funny in my day it seemed as if you had 2 colds in a row or your sibling was having their's out they'd lop yours out too...like 'spare parts' :) Marley's nervous and has been admiring her big red tonsils the past few days. She's hoping that losing them will help take care of some of her snoring too....makes it hard at sleepovers. Thanks again everyone!!

Take Care
Laurie:)

Hi Laurie, I see you've already gotten great advice. I just want to wish Marley well during her surgery and also for a speedy recovery. Keep us posted.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.