Please Help .....I seem to Be Working Out Harder & Gaining Weight

lorajc

Cathlete
Cathe,

I did the August rotation (Bootcamp) and since that time, I've taken my training up in intensity. I workout longer, do longer aerobic sessions, and longer weightlifting. I also have increased my aerobic intensity. However, I've gained a couple pounds. I only need to lose about 7 pounds, but nothing seems to be working. I have been doing your rotations faithfully. I eat a pretty clean diet, however, I do get hungry quite frequently and may eat a snack sooner than I should. I know I'm getting enough calories. Any suggestions?

I am not Cathe, but how many calories are you intaking on a daily basis? When I was down to the last ten pounds, I had to get extremely strict with my diet intake. You can push it off with a 1200 to 1500 calorie intake, but you have to count the calories. When I started counting, I saw a difference. Also, I started to drink more than the 8 glasses of water a day, to flush out my body. Another idea is to shock your body with a different workout. That also helped me. Our body get used to the same workout and adjusts quite quickly. Just some thoughts.

Linda

"We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated."
Maya Angelou

RE: Please Help .....I seem to Be Working Out Harder & ...

Hi lorajc,

Have you had your body fat checked? Maybe The scale isn't giving you a true picture. You might also want to visit a nutritionist that can tailor a program for you.

Good luck,
jordan

Hi, If I was you I would'nt pay attention to the scale. You could be adding muscle or even fluid. Have you noticed if you clothes are fitting better? Also maybe you are exercising to much and should cut down. Just a suggestion. But if your clothes are still fitting the same or better I wouldnt pay attention so much to the scale. Good luck!! Lori BC

My pants are all too tight on me and I watch what I eat. It's not water weight, as this has been for 3 months or so. I have thought about taking a recovery week but I'm not sure if I should do that or just change my intense routine up someway. I'm confused. I thought that upping my intensity and working out harder than ever would make me lose weight and look better.

I have the same problem. I upped my intensity and amount of time and I still haven't lost anything, and I definitely am hungrier. I know it is in my eating, but I just LOVE food!!! I am down to wanting to lose about 7 lbs also. I can get there, but I have to severely restrict my calorie intake and I get really tired and nasty. Soo, I am interested to know what other people suggest. I do suspect you are eating more than you think though. That little cookie bit here and snack there quickly add up. I know, I am there too!

I am not Cathe, but I would think if you constantly workout at that level and more, than to loose anything you would have to continually keep increasing the intensity and the length of your workouts to keep seeing results. Your body needs to rest to actually build anything and to loose weight. Plus you need adeqaute clean food, lean protein and good carbs, fruits and veggies, are you eating enough, following the August rotation and then to contiune that intensity, mabey your body is holding on to the last bit of weight. Your body might be feeding off the muscle with all that exericse, leaving you feeling and looking heavier. I would take a recovery week or if you aren't comfortable with that, mabey a few days of less intensity, walking or a shorter workout so when you kick it up a notch again it will shock your body. I anxiously what cathe thinks!!

As a Personal Trainer, I know that bodyfat is the most accurate assestment of whether or not somebody is overweight, and it is true that muscle is denser than fat and weighs more. You should go to your local Y and have your bodyfat tested with calipers. I do not like the handheld machines, and I don't feel that they give an accurate bodyfat percentage. I hope this helps. Counting calories also helps because you may be taking in more calories than you realize.

Regards,
Caitlin

Hello to all you great lades,

I just want to share my experience with August rotation. I did it in whole and even add some run (3 times per week for about 30 minutes) and did not lost any pound. But than some miracle happened. In September I could not working out so hard, so I worked maximum 4 days a week (3 cardio and 1-2 total body training for about an hour). And in that month I lost 5 pounds. I am 5'6" and now weight 117 pounds. May be adding some muscle helped me to increase my metabolism and weight loss is due to it. I do not change my diet at all during these two months.

So I thing you have to be patient.

Wish you all the best!

Marieta

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'd still like to hear from others or Cathe if possible. Thanks, Lora

Hi Lora,

I was training very hard and was always hungry and instead of losing weight, I gain.

So, I changed, I am working out less, doing more cardio and light weights, the result is that I am less hungry so I eat less and I am losing weight. Sometimes, when you workout too hard and don't eat enough your body holds on to every calorie causing you to gain weight.
Also, muscle hold water, if you hadn't had a recovery week, I strongly suggest you take one and start with a different routine.

I am working out less and losing weight, I am loving it!

I'm not Cathe, but I have to agree with the folks who have suggested that you take a very close look at your diet - track what you're eating honestly. It's my guess, too, that you're eating more than you think you are, and that's really why you're gaining weight. Just what does "I eat a 'pretty clean diet?' mean? You can eat 'clean,' but still eat too much.
Just Do It! :)

I know about how many calories I average and I keep a good honest eye on my diet. I don't think I'm underestimating. If anything I overestimate.

I don't care to discuss diet (as we're not really supposed to), but I'm a vegetarian who eats zero fried foods and have a healthy diet. The only thing I meant by "pretty" clean is that I do cheat once in a while, but I certainly do not make a habit of it. I'm very disciplined with my eating and my workouts. I know that both are important.

Maybe your gaining more weight in muscle. Definately have your body fat tested. Do you also measure inches around the abd and thighs.
Just a thought
Eva

Could it be that you are working out harder and not eating enough? That seems to happen to me.I was working out intensly last month and one morning I weighed and I weighed more and when I looked in the mirror I felt bulky (if that makes sense) Maybe you can keep your diet the same and ease up on the workouts a bit.Ya never know, your/our bodies may be hanging on to those few lbs we have left to lose.
Lori:)

I just finished the October rotation and I'm planning on doing a non Cathe, sort of recovery week this week, so we'll see if that helps at all. I also lost my job recently, so I added a short PM workout to my rotation last week. We'll see if these help.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.