Please ban bad language

Status
Not open for further replies.
IA Donna--I've stayed away from this thread for obvious reasons, but I don't entirely disagree w/Carol Jane. I don't know if swearing here can or should be prevented, & I do believe certain swear words are worse than others, but I also think that no matter how angry someone is or how strongly they'd like a point to come across, it can be insensitive to use the more extreme words.

I'm no prude & I've been known to put truck drivers to shame w/my language, but I try to be considerate of others who find it offensive. The problem w/cyber chatting is sometimes things come across differently when you write them as opposed to how you'd say them, and you don't know your audience or their reactions very well. So it's better to err on the safe side & just use curses in private messaging. ;-)

No, dont be sorry you bought the subject up Carolyn Jane. It made for very interesting opinions, and although not many were in agreement with you, I hope it hasnt put you off on posting ANYTHING again.

And although I was one who disagreed with you, you HAVE actually made me think a little more in what I say next time, and if I can say things a little differently............... so thats a good thing.

Marion

:)

>> just use curses in private messaging. ;-) <<

Thanks to the recent unsubbing of a certain poster, the chance of receiving private messages of that nature is now greatly diminished.

Deb

I agree with Nancy. We should be adult enough to be able to agree to disagree and/or discuss something without resorting to insults, taunts, bad language, threats, or anything else unpleasant and immature you can think of. Each person is ultimately responsible for their own behavior, and their choice of words.

Carol

He wasn't "unsubbed" as you call it. He left of his own accord. You're free to move on now. Peace.

Carol

<<He left of his own accord. >>

I know that. That's why I "call it" 'unsubbing'. If he had NOT left of his own accord, I would have called it 'banning'. And since he wasn't banned a few months ago when he really deserved to be for sending vulgar PMs to several forum members, I certainly didn't expect him to be banned over the Open Discussion thread.

You're free to move on now. Peace.

Deb

Ah! I see. Didn't understand the terminology. Thanks for clarifying that! I appreciate it!

Carol

"Bloody Hell" can't be TOO bad. I just heard Ron Weasley say it in Harry Potter! And yes, it did make me giggle. I really dig that term.

Well, silly me...

When I first saw this post I thought it was about the thread on cell phones! I got bored reading the other thread since it veered off topic so drastically.

Diane

>I agree with Nancy. We should be adult enough to be able to
>agree to disagree and/or discuss something without resorting
>to insults, taunts, bad language, threats, or anything else
>unpleasant and immature you can think of. Each person is
>ultimately responsible for their own behavior, and their
>choice of words.
>
>Carol
>:)

I agree as well. I was surprised to see this post coming from you after your rather brutal post towards Maximus, but I do agree. No matter how ugly some topics get, I still think this is one of the more polite boards out here in cyber space.:p

DeeDee

He always comes back <sigh>. I just hope it will take longer this time. He's completely out of control of himself, and, IMHO, does not belong here for that reason. As my DH says, he is a sick puppy.

Did I miss something? What happened over at the open discussion thread? It looks calm and peacefull there to me!
Kelly = )

For what it is worth, since it has been commented on enough already, I agree with you! I think as adults, we should all take responsibility for ourselves and our actions. Inappropriate language of any kind is unnecessary. It does not enhance a post or a conversation at all.

Marion,

I see from your profile that you are from Australia. Just to let you know, profanity is not protected speech in the United States. There is no "freedom of speech" when it comes to profanity. Guess what happens when you swear at a cop? You will get arrested for disorderly conduct.

All she is asking is for us to be polite to one another, plain and simple.

Angie

Angie,
If you're referring to the original poster, which I hope you are not, she is not just asking that we be polite to each other. She is asking that people be banned from these forums for using certain words. That is a far different thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.