Pentagenarians & Beyond: Week Beginning: 1/17

Today I did JS Pyramid Power Walk from the 30 Day Plan. That was 30 minutes and 207 calories burned. Average heart rate was 131 and maximum heart rate was 154.

Diane Sue, nice job with Step Sync. I can’t believe the problems you are having with your Fitbit.

Valerie, it sounds like your ski trip was a success. I’m glad that it was a good outing. 11 degrees—wow!

Hello to Judy, Deb, Cathy, and Lori.

Yesterday I ended up doing Live In the Ring. Started out with Rock it Sock it, but 5 minutes in it got glitchy and I finally gave up. Today was STS Disk 8. The STS warmups crack me up since Cathe does them so fast, apparently a side affect of filming before the music was added. I’ve done really well on making sure I have my weights right, until barbell rows today. I was like wow I’m really rocking these today, and then did a double take of the bar and realized I was 10 pounds light.

My car has little in the way of bells and whistles. Mainly just a backup camera, which I only partially use, I always look around myself. Not a fan of the idea of things like self parking cars, I’m too much of a control freak. My sister was telling me she hates being with her husband when he pulls into the garage, because it a really tight fit, and his car goes crazy trying to keep him from crashing.

Valerie glad you made it safely to Montana and were able to ski. We have had light snow this week, but I doubt there’s even 2” on the ground. It’s just cold, so it doesn’t melt. My parents are south of us, but in the lake affect snow area, and they’ve been getting 3-4” regularly, but even they aren’t getting the big snows they usually get.

Diane Sue, sorry you had such a hard time with the heart rate on your watch. I’ve decided to look at mine, but not really pay attention to it. I always felt my Fitbit was low and I feel like my new one is closer, but too high.

Carolyn great job on the workout.

This morning I was all set to do a workout and the internet went out so I could not do the Raw Burn Out Lower like I wanted to do and the cardio I had chosen. So, I did Cathe Lite Cardio Party 39 minutes, 186 calories, heart rate 118/159, 3,960 steps. I then did Perfect 30 Pump Lower Body, 35 minutes, 92 calories, heart rate 98/116, 933 steps. I finished with Perfect 30 extended stretch, 8 minutes, 7 calories, 87/104 heart rate, 23 steps. TOTAL Time 82 minutes, 285 calories, 4,918 steps.

Perfect Pump Lower Body
w/up then moves using 12 and 15# dbs
squats 25# dbs 12 reps
static lunges 20# dbs 12 reps
deadlifts 30# dbs 23 reps
pick up squats 40# db 12 reps
elevated lunge right 15# dbs 12 reps
elevated lunge hops
elevated lunge left 15# dbs 12 reps
elevated hops
deadlifts with toes elevated 30# dbs 12 reps
heels elevated front squat 15# dbs 12 reps
step ups with high step and 3 risers 15# db 12 reps each side
single leg dead lift 30 # db 12 reps each side
front lunge 15# db 10 right then 10 left
close grip squat 40# db 12 reps (I repeated after having to make a trip down stairs so 2 times)
squat crossover lunges high step with 1 riser 15# db 10 each side
forward leaning glute lunges 6 inch high step 15# db 10 each side
cossack squat 12# db 12 reps
calf raises 25# dbs 25 reps
calf raises 25# dbs 20 reps
calf raises 25# dbs 15 reps

Valerie, yes the vehicle is an Escalade. My daughter really likes it though. I love seeing animals and nature when it is not disturbed.

Carolyn, great job with JS Power Walk. I don't get the Fitbit problems.

Cathy, one of Cathe's kickboxing dvds works most of the time, but has some glitch that kicks in from time to time. I don't know why. Nice workout choices today. My husband's car does the same thing with all of the bell ringing when he backs into the garage as it is tight. My other Fitbit was low, but this one is way worse. I wouldn't like to have a fitness watch that was overly high either. I just want one to be accurate.

I had to go grocery shopping this morning so I didn’t get to work out. I am trying to make sure that I get my 10,000 steps. It’s even more important to me when I don’t work out.

Yesterday I ordered some ceramic nonstick frying pans from Williams Sonoma to replace my Teflon coated pans. They have Green Pan on sale which seems to have good reviews. Some brands seem to lose their nonstick after a while. Diane Sue, I remember that you bought some ceramic nonstick cookware not too long ago. Are you still happy with yours?

Hello to Everyone and have a wonderful day.

Our Ford ranger 4WD has some features like backup camera and the alarm when you are too close to another car. but when its slippery out DH way prefers the Subaru. once the seatbelt dinger starts going it wont shut up even if you stop , just keeps on even when motionless. that is the one bad thing about them. the nanny-cam. guess I said enough about this topic...

we hiked this morning, just under 3 hours. went to the park and hiked up a trail at the border of the park where snow was not deep. saw tons and tons of tracks. wolf, coyote, elk, and bighorns. even saw a bunch of pronghorns and loads of bighorn sheep. really nice morning. will try skiing again tomorrow after a small amount of fresh snow to night.

I did not workout today. I had things that slowed me down this morning. We did some of the school work in the car while waiting for my granddaughter. We had to wait till we got home to do the written work. I also needed to stop at Dollar General for a couple of things and realized I had left my Wallet at home because I was going over my bank account. So we had to make a trip home first. It will be the same tomorrow I am sure when I go for my heart doctor appointment. I finally scheduled the mammogram appointment that I had to cancel when sick and set up Gerties appointment with the vet. It is about a month late for her immunizations. I still have to catch up with the dentist as well. It is hard to work around everything. I am tired today anyway, although maybe if I worked out I wouldn't feel so sleepy.

Carolyn, I have the Gotham Steel set and I really like them. I am careful with them though. I hand wash them and do not put them in water till they cool down. Once in awhile something like eggs have stuck and I find that if I just soak them with some hot water and dish soap for awhile and then remove the water leaving a little damp I use backing soda and a rag to rub it around it it cleans up like new. Part of it is not getting the pan too hot. If I am going to use higher heat I generally use the cast iron. One of my pans is deep and has a fry basket and a steam tray. I have used it for steam cooking, but only once with the fry basket when I made my grandson fried shrimp. Oh, and I store the skillets stacked with dishcloths between to keep from scratching. Yes, I am happy with them. I would like to get a regular saucepan that is not as big as the one that has the fry basket and steam tray. My smaller saucepan is an old pampered chef that has lost most of the teflon off the bottom. I told my husband we must have eaten it.

Valerie, it sounds like you are enjoyed the hiking. I hope that the snow is good for you tomorrow.

Today I did RWH Lower Body Circuit for 49 minutes and 258 calories burned. My average heart rate was 118 and maximum heart rate was 154.

Diane Sue, you had a busy day yesterday. It is frustrating to me to miss a planned workout. When I have decided beforehand it doesn’t bother me as much. I only ordered the frying pans, but I think that I will like them.

Valerie, great job with your hike. I’m sure that it was enjoyable.

Hello to Judy, Deb, Cathy, and Lori.

Hi Everyone,

Tuesday I did Cathe Live Total Body Giant Sets. I skipped the abs in the Live workout and did Core Max instead. Wednesday I did Cathe Live Hooked on PHA. Yesterday I worked a 6 hour shift at HD. I did Core Max and a 10 minute easy Peloton ride after work. I also worked today and am planning on doing a short workout later this evening.

Deb-Great workouts last week. I need to do PHA Supersets again.

Carolyn-Nice job with RWH Lower Body Circuit. That is a tough one.

Diane Sue-It's good that you got your mammogram scheduled. We are taking Chino and Shadow to the vet in a couple of weeks. They are overdo for their exams and shots. We were hoping to wait until the vets were allowing people inside but it looks like that won't happen for a long time.

Valerie-Great job hiking this week.

Cathy-Great job with STS and In The Ring.

did a 4 hour xc ski today. the same one we did a couple days ago but went much further, and it was groomed so conditions entirely different. Lovely! great snow. boy am I tired!. going back to WA in the morning. we planned on this being a short trip.

Today I did Cardio Party and Extended Stretch 1. That was 48 minutes with 275 calories burned. My average heart rate was 119 and maximum heart rate was 148.

Judy, nice job with the workouts this week, especially after coming home from work.

Valerie, have a safe trip today. Your short vacation sounds like a good one.

Hello to Everyone and have a wonderful afternoon.

Good morning. On the road for 4 +hrs with another 5 or so to go.. carolyn that reminds me I have not mastered cardio party yet!! I can ski uphill for two hours at 8000 feet carrying a 25 lb pack 16 degrees but can’t do an L step ! Where is the justice in That?? Tee hee just too funny!

I did Hearts on Fire today. I think that’s what it’s called. A Valentine’s Day one. Yesterday was STS Disk 9 which has left my hamstrings, quads and glutes chatting with me today.

Valerie I hope the rest of your drive went smoothly. And I do have to agree it’s funny that you can ski like that and not do an L Step. Do you think it would help if you had someone there in person demonstrating and walking you through it?

Carolyn nice job with Cardio Party and Lower Body Circuit!

Judy great work getting in all those workouts!

Diane Sue it is frustrating to miss a workout, and especially to get somewhere and forget your wallet!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.