Pentagenarians & Beyond: Week Beginning: 1/17

Good morning. Today is a rest day for me. My chest, triceps, and shoulders are very sore today. I did the finishers for each exercise set and they certainly did the trick.

Deb, thanks for starting the thread today.

Safe travels to Valerie and Cathy.

Have a great day everyone.

I’m curious about the beginning of this thread. Deb, were you one of the original members? Anyone else? I joined in 2016 but I was a lurker for a couple of years prior to that.

Got home late afternoon. First hour and a half the roads were snow covered, but pretty clear tire tracks, and snowing, but I was able to drive 45-50. After that, there were often flurries, but roads were dry or just wet, so I could drive speed limit +. There’s snow in the UP, but the most snow on the roadside and trees was in the stretch that was bad Friday.

Back to STS in the morning.

yes, I am one of the original members. IF I remember right, it started as “50 and over” or something like that. I believe Linda (“Garance”) suggested the name change to what it is today.

No workout today. I am going to try to get a good one in tomorrow and maybe have a chance to soak in the tub with my Lush Bath Bomb and soap my granddaughter got me for Christmas. I did not want to waste it on a day when I was rushed. I do have the grandchildren coming in for a short time tomorrow. It will be a busy week with appointments and school the rest of the week. No school tomorrow :) We had a house showing yesterday. Looked at some houses today.

I was one of the originals. I joined in 1999. Actually I was part of Cathe's way before this check in. There was 200 members when I first started. Her following really has grown over the years. I am trying to remember how her check in were. She has had more than one website and check in. I remember doing some check ins via email at one time. I cannot remember if hers was that one. Also when this one started she it was a lot different and there were some individual side groups? You could share things like crafts and pictures and stuff. Then it changed up some more. Maybe that was when Sony came into the picture. I am kind of vague on it now.

Carolyn, I am sore today too. That newest Cathe Live workout did leave my legs and hips sore. I didn't love it though. Wished for more cardio with it and do not like holding a stability ball over my head. I had to get up in the middle of the night to take some Advil. My neck was throbbing. I have to be so careful of aggravating my neck.

Cathe, glad you made it back safely. Good work getting in STS as well.

I joined later in the process. long ago! Didn’t know we would go this long!! deb and garance and a few others. Another Cathy from Texas? She had a medical issue but has stopped in since.

we made it to our house in MT. Long day 11 hrs and a few minutes. Not hard but long. We go over about 7 or 8 passes. Not a lot of snow today. Full time AWD is so superior. accidents happen when you arent expecting it to be slippery. full time AWD is always on duty. where as 4WD usually has to be activated. other vehicles have it besides subaru but I don't have experience with them. A Subaru is not an expensive car. It’s safe, reliable, and affordable. We save money by skipping fancy electronics. If I can’t stay in my lane or park without assistance, I shouldn't be driving. my only complaint about Subies are the seat belt alarm. unrelenting and annoying. it encourages you to avoid it by locking the belt behind you to avoid the ding if you are backing up down a road and need to turn to see where you're going. IMO a back up camera is not good enough! and I dont like the clock setting. its so complicated I leave it set wrong.

Today I did Rev’d Up Rumble and Extended Stretch #1 for 51 minutes and 324 calories burned. My average heart rate was 128 and maximum heart rate was 177.

Thanks for the information on the history of the thread. I was so inspired by this group even before I started posting here. Thanks to all of you for sticking with it and helping us support each other.

Cathy, I’m glad that you made it home safely.

Hello to Everyone and have a wonderful day.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday and today I did Peloton rides, an hour yesterday and 45 minutes today.

Deb-Thanks for starting the thread.

Diane Sue-That's awesome that you've been on the Cathe forum so long. I hope your house hunting is going well.

Carolyn-Great job with Rev'd Up Rumble and the Extended Stretch. I am inspired by you and everyone in this group also.

Cathy-Glad you made it home safely.

Valerie-Hope you have a nice time in Montana.

Today I did Cathe Live Low Impact Hiit 40/20, 43 minutes, heart rate 122/151, 204 calories, 3,539 steps. I then did Coffey Fit Raw Burn Out Upper Body, 44 minutes, heart rate 105 calories, 799 steps.
Total time was 87 minutes, 309 calories, 4,338 steps. No school today so I took a long soak with a Lush bath bomb and am kind of relaxing. Will clean some this evening when my husband goes to work. I have been looking at and reviewing a couple of Fitness watches. The Samsung 3 one looks good, but rather expensive. The main complaint seems to be some purchased expecting to be able to use the ecg feature and it is only available on Samsung cell phone use. One said Galaxy phone, but I only saw one say that. Also places like ATT and Verizon would not unlock the watch if wanting to use a service unless you purchase it there. That is if you want to pay for the phone service so you do not have to have the cell phone around. I don't care about that myself. I don't feel like talking through my watch. My husband has a Gear 2 and had the service with ATT for a year and got rid of it. It came in handy once when he left his phone at home. I look on Amazon myself for purchasing a phone. They won't be there trying to upsell. The other is the Withings(Nokia) Sport Amazon.com: Withings Steel HR Sport Hybrid Smartwatch (40mm) - Activity, Sleep, Fitness and Heart Rate Tracker with Connected GPS, Smart Notifications, Water Resistant with 25-Day Battery Life: Sports & Outdoors
People really like the long battery life on the Withings. The biggest complaint was the screen. Black costs less, but those white numbers and markings are really grey and it makes it hard to read. So, I would get white and choose some bands that would look nice. Also some glare on the glass that is a mineral glass. I am pulled. My husband said to order one then said what about Samsung, but I am thinking most watches and from everything that I read go more by age, weight, step count, and heart rate and not so much by fitness level. So they do not take in the fitness of the individual. Also I tried something this morning that one guy mentioned and that was wiping sweat off the back of the watch when it starts to lag or lose the heart rate. It did bring it back up when I did that. I just kept a tissue nearby. I had to do that several times though. Both watches you can buy bands for. Withings fasten on like my Versa 2.
Withings works with Fitbit app, and other apps. I saw someone was asking about Strava. It works with MFP as well. My scale works with both and it is Withings.

Coffey Fit Raw Burn Out Upper
supersets all body parts except back, 45 seconds work, 3 sets each body part Kelly's weights 25#, 20,15,10# all dumbbells and only need 1 25#
warm up 6 minutes

Biceps superset(Kelly uses 20's)
supination curl 17.5# dbs 9 reps; 17.5# dbs 6 reps; 15# dbs 8 reps; 15# dbs 8 reps(better than last time as I used 15's and 12's)
superset with front curl halfs 15# dbs 12 reps; 12# dbs 10 reps; changes to hammer curls 15# dbs 10 reps

Back (25# Kelly)
step and 25# db 12reps left and 12 reps right repeat for 3 sets

Shoulders (Kelly uses 15's)
seated overhead press 10# dbs 12 reps; 10# dbs 12 reps alternating; 10# dbs 12 reps alternating
superset with bent arm lateral raise 10# dbs 12 reps; 10# dbs alternating 16 reps; 10# dbs 10 reps alternating (the supination curls were making the front of my shoulder have a snapping feeling)

Chest(Kelly uses 20's)
bench close grip press 12# dbs 11 reps; 15# dbs 8 reps; 15# dbs 9 reps
super set with pullovers (Kelly used two dumbbells I used 1) 15# db 11 reps; 8 reps; 10 reps

Triceps (Kelly uses 15's)
skull crusher 15's 11 reps; 15's 10 reps; 15's 12 reps
superset with Dips (Kelly says can sub overhead press) 20 reps; 18 reps: 15# db overhead extensions 12 reps (trying to find something comfortable)

Stretch

Hi,

Friday I did Live Metabolic Circuit 47 minutes, 285 calories, Saturday, no "official workouts, but I did 2 agility classes and 13, 964 steps. Sunday I did Live PHA Supersets, 44 minutes 254 calories and todayt, Live 40/20 Low Impact HIIT, 41 minutes 291 calories.

Cathy, that is a long drive to make in so few days! Glad the weather cooperated, even with some snow.

Diane Sue, That long soak sounds very relaxing. We did the same workout today! :) I really like that one a lot. No equipment needed, and easily modified if needed. I even do all the gliding disk ones without any disks or rags or whatever. Did you see any houses that you may be interested in buying? I saw the clip of the newest Live workout, did not realize how it may impact your neck and shoulders. What is an ECG feature? I can't imagine making or taking a call on a watch. I see my cousin do it on her Apple watch and she always has a problem hearing or being heard.

Valerie, good you made it without any weather mishaps! Yes, the Subaru is a great car, especially in snow. We love ours! We have had 5 of them as of now. I agree on the clock, why does it have to be so complicated? I swear they don't have any normal people try those things out before they install them in the vehicles.

Carolyn, great job on Rev'd Up Rumble!

Judy, good job on the Peloton rides!

Hi to Lori,

Take care,

Valerie, I don't care for all of those extras on a car. Actually mine has none other than what my husband added thinking that I need. I don't really use it. I kind of like seeing behind me when backing he had added a GPS and that feature. I rarely back up though. I tend to look for parking where I can drive through and pull out so I don't have to worry about some crazy in a hurry person just flies right behind me or pulls out without looking. My car is little and even though it is bright blue they don't seem to see me. I use my cell phone for GPS. I think some Chinese company made mine and I never took the time to figure it out. Instructions are vague. I don't use the phone thing either. I tried one time and had to pull into a parking lot to figure it out and decided I might as well use my cell phone. I don't want to be pushing buttons while driving down the road. It even has a remote for all of that, but I never tried that either. Thankfully, my car does not beep when backing or near something.

Carolyn, great job on Rev's Up and Rumble and the stretch. I seem to be missing a lot of the stretching that I need to keep up with. It will be another busy week so, maybe if I am lucky I can get one in tomorrow with some cardio.

Judy, great that you have gotten in the Peloton Rides. How does your fitness watch do with the rides. You have an Apple watch right? Just wondering. I tend to avoid the spin bike because the watch gives such low results. I know it is effective. Just like to see good results.

Deb, ecg is the same as an ekg. Here is what it says on the watch description . It does say Galaxy phone so I do not know why people did not read that before they purchased. I usually research over and over before I buy something like that. Well, we thought we had one house chosen, but someone purchased that did not need to sell first so we signed off the contract. We saw one yesterday that was a good price and are interested in, but would like to check out one that was just being finished building and for some reason the people took it off the market and put it up for lease. Our realtor is going to check that out. We will see how it goes. It will all come together eventually.
  • You can share the PDF report of your ECG recording with your health care provider using the Samsung Health Monitor app on your compatible Galaxy phone.

Diane Sue-yes, I use an Apple watch. I usually pair it with a garmin heart rate chest strap. I think the wrist based hr is ok most of the time but it doesn't seem as accurate as using the chest strap. If I'm doing a very short workout or yoga I don't use the chest strap. The watch has an indoor cycle mode and it seems to be pretty accurate. That Withings watch looks like it would be a good one.

Thanks Judy. I had problems with the watches and chest straps over all of the years that I used Polar watches and bluetooth monitors. I had one Polar watch that seemed to work well and that is before they made it where you could change the battery yourself. I don't know why that is. I kept contacting them and the last time they sent me another chest strap and said I should change to a new strap every few months! The new strap did not work any better so I just gave that up. I really did like their app though and all of the workouts listed. It was easy to monitor as I worked out with the Bluetooth transmitter and strap. I am glad that you found an option that works for you. Yes, it does seem the strap would pick up the heart rate better.

there are benefits to all the extra electronics but I have not been impressed with how they work in the real world in other cars. cousin demonstrated parallel parking in his and it was painful to sit thru. I can parallel park easily probably because it used to be more common. you need to have good visibility and get out of the seat belt to do it IMO. one downside of all the electronic sensors is that you have to fight the car to do whats needed sometimes. if I need to be out of my lane due to a wide load or construction etc I dont want an automatic device trying to shove me back where I should not be. repairs after fender benders are surprisingly expensive too, because of electronics needing replacement. if I use my phone while driving its an emergency or I pull off the road. not worth using speaker. nobody can understand anything on either end. my SIL always used to call on her lunch hour and you could get about one word out of 10.

we are going to ski today we hope. depends onconditions.

I have a Polar chest strap but it doesnt work very well on any equipment anymore. I track manually mostly by my time and how intense I thought it was. my heart rate doesnt get that high anyway. dont know if Polar still makes them? I shold look at Garmin,

Today I did Perfect Pump Upper Body for 39 minutes and 231 calories burned. My average heart rate was 125 and maximum heart rate was 163. I really like the the Perfect Pump workouts. The length of time is good for me, but it’s a very thorough workout.

Judy, nice job with the Peloton rides this week.

Diane Sue, great job with Live Low Impact HiiT 40/20 and Raw Burn Out Upper Body. There is a lot to consider when buying a fitness watch. I’m interested to see which one you decide to get.

Deb, great workouts the last few days. It’s funny that you and Diane Sue chose the same workout yesterday.

Valerie, I hope that you are able to ski today. I like some of the electronic features in cars, but they seem overwhelming with so many options. Definitely a learning curve with all of the things to select from. My daughter is still learning about her car.

Hello to Cathy and Lori.

Today I did Step Boss Step Sync 59 minutes(extra time for fighting with my updated Fitbit :mad:) heart rate 108/143, for the first 30 minutes of my workout I kept seeing heart rate in the 80's and 90's and I was breathing hard and adding lots to try to get it up to 110, then after I finally was getting really mad I paused and rubbed the back with my shirt and I think it loosened the band some more or placed it different than all of the the other changes I made because it jumped to 187 which the app does not show or the watch?. Anyway it says 19 minutes under my zone. I hate when it does that. Heart rate came out better than I thought at 252, and I got 5,820 steps. That is all for the day. I am tired. I took a 5mg melatonin tablet and some cough gels and went to bed only to fall asleep for about an hour and wake up. I think the last time I looked at the clock it was after 4. Anyway Fitbit says I got 3 hours of sleep. I sure hope tonight is better than that. If not it is going to be a long week.

Valerie, I think I see more parallel parking in really small cities than you see around large areas. Having something beeping at you is annoying when you are trying to concentrate. I remember my daughter getting her new Cadillac SUV (not sure the name of it) and saying some of the automatic things it does in certain situations took some getting used to. That does not sound good to me. I would be afraid I would get used to the vehicle taking care of something for me and it would malfunction. After all computers fail, computerized stuff in vehicles can fail too. I am pretty sure that Polar still has the chest straps. I think they moved up to other levels on the one that you wear the strap with the bluetooth transmitter. It shows on the cell phone on the Polar app. I looked at them, but I am wary after all of my past experience with them.

Carolyn, I like that the Perfect 30 workouts get a lot in and do not waste a lot of time. This was a good set.
I am always having to look up something in the manual for my husband's Taurus. I guess the voice system is Alexa. Funny though, mine is a basic no frills car, but all of the messages that pop up on the dash are in code numbers, so I have to have the manual handy to see what that means. I pretty much know which ones are for change oil and tire pressure though.

we skied today and it was LOVELY cold an clear, 11 degrees t start. I didn't dress warmly enough, had to readjust after a half an hour still cold. million animal tracks. this is a road closed during winter in the park. it is groomed and not too steep. there aren't a lot of skiable roads since snowmobiles take over main roads . we went for 3 hours and 10 minutes. have not skied much in several years so it about killed me. the road was covered in wolf and coyote tracks, with some elk, deer, bison and rabbit tracks thrown in. we were early so it was all very clear in fresh snow. later in the morning more people skied, tracks got run over but definitely critters are the main road users. the snow here gets a crust with fresh snow on top. for people and animals, walking you punch thru. we call if "post-holing" so animals and people like to use the groomed areas because its a solid base and easier to walk on. .

was that an Escalade? my neighbor had one and traded it in in less than a year because of the confusing electronics that even the GM techs could not explain or get to work right. hers kept telling her there was a tire pressure problem when there was not, and she was afraid it would not start if she turned ignition off. not the only isssue!
Deb wow 5? I think we have had 3 and still have the 2004 first one. still runs great, looks fine and is easy to see and sit in. I dont care about keyless, or most of the electronics but yes, I wish they had a clock that could be easily reset when you switch time zones. the trouble with the fratures is they are a package and if you want one you get them all. for a week here, we dont bother resetting the clock. we can do it but why is it so hard when a simple up/ down button worked fine? most places have straight in or angle parking. I swear it took cousins' car 15 minutes to park in a simple, very generous space. it should have taken a minute! I cant imagine how long if it was a tight space.

I will watch what you find out on chest straps. my polar one works occasionally . I have to get too close to the equipment to pick up a signal and still spotty so I don't bother much. I used to like using one when they worked better. I had a polar watch but it never was reliable for long.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.