Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/25

Lori, I saw the SB workout with pictures on her blog. The rebounder and barre work using the rebounder ( handle??) Is a good idea. I would like to see a follow along video of it.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

My workout today was Lower Body Blast--not ICE but the older one from 2010. I looked on my log and realized that had not done that one for 4 years. It was a thorough lower body workout and I burned 430 calories.

Burpees are definitely easier when I use the step and don't try to go to the floor. I try to get 10,000 steps because I tend to sit too much otherwise. I love to read and I spend time on the computer with various activities. Getting more steps is my "move more" part of my WW program.

Deb, my headaches are related to weather changes and barometric pressure. I had migraines from elementary school until my early forties. These are similar but I don't get relief after I sleep.

Hello to everyone.

I had an awful time sleeping around menopause and I know I tried melatonin and it didn't do a thing, good or bad. didn't take it very long. there were some other OTC things I tried, but the hot flashes and cold sweats were impossible to live with. I ended up on HRT for quite a while, something like 10 years although not at 'full dose". and full dose at that time was a lot less than women used to get. Menopause was rough on sleep. when I finally got off entirely, I was sleeping reasonably well again.

Deb, so sorry heartburn is back. It sounds miserable.

Our butternut squash is still in the garden and will be until the vines die back. probably another 2 weeks or so. we wash them in water with a little bleach added, and they keep in our garage for months. Harvest is not as good as last year but still worth doing. I use the butternuts mostly to roast in chunks. I use mostly frozen squash from last year for soup. I love squash soup!

I'm careful about what I eat, but primarily for calories. Otherwise, I eat what I like, but that is pretty clean .... by my definition. I can't imagine fussing that much about food "components." Not going to happen here. I continue to keep fat intake fairly low and mostly do low or fat free dairy. except cheese. there, I limit quantity and frequency. for me, a calorie is a calorie and I don't get a free pass if the calories are from fat rather than carbs.

I will be OK on the hiking. just need a break, and maybe some newer places to explore. DH and I have been having a disagreement about how early we need to leave in the morning, and I'm not good at getting up early and going.

Hi Ladies,

My back seems to be back to normal, but I decided to take it easy on my workouts. On Tuesday I took a yoga class and then Karina came over and we did a light workout with bands, Wednesday I went to spin class and my back was ok, Thursday I did bodypump with light weight on the squat portion of the workout then Karina came over and hard a regular workout. Today I'm taking a day off.

I decided not to do the MS ride, my heart is not in it and since my back has been bothering my training has gone down the drain :).

Lori, I love the name you are giving your puppy. I would love another dog, but my DH does not want to get one.

Deb, My DH takes his meds with meals and it seems to work. Hope that you can get some relief.

Garance, my friend Kim has RLS and what works for her is putting her legs up against the wall for 10-15 minutes until her toes feel tingly.
She does this before she goes to bed. I do the same when I do a long ride, I also use to do it after my long runs when I was running marathons.

Valerie, I've been in a slump too. I need to change my workouts. I've been looking a some Groupon deals around my area to change things up.

Diane Sue, I hope that you can get some relief from your allergies.

Hi to Judy, Carolyn and Caitlin!

Josie

Hi everyone--

This morning I did live Old School Cardio with Kickboxing (47 min.). This is the one Cathe recorded yesterday. I thought it was okay--maybe a 4, but not one of my favorites. It seemed like everything was extemporaneous--as if Cathe was making it up as she went along.

Deb, sorry about your bad night. I sure wish you could get some relief that isn't intermittent or unreliable. I bought the Shark Rocket pet smart. They had a sale on at Kohl's with an additional promo code so it was a pretty good price.

Lori, Gigi sounds lovely. Maybe when you retire you can work part of the time as an event planner. You do seem gifted and to enjoy this kind of work. I think what I need is someone to help me clean my closets. I have such a hard time throwing out clothes, even when I haven't worn something for years. I bought that book about "sparking joy" being the criterion for whether or not to keep something, so now I am in a quandary about what that might mean. I look at something and say, "Well, this is a t-shirt and isn't meant to spark joy and it's still in pretty good shape." So I put it away again. I'm hopeless.

Carolyn, that's why I have a sit and stand desk to make sure I am not parked on my butt all the time.

Josie, thanks for the advice on restless legs. I know she takes a medication, but it does not seem to help her very much. Hope your back feels better soon.

Valerie, I love butternut squash soup too. So many different recipes and the soup is always satisfyingly rich.

We did our usual ride this morning and I felt better.

we bought a Sears canister vacuum when the Miele died. the Miele was very expensive ad turned out to be basically a POS. I would NEVER buy another. repairs & bags were expensive, and it was always in need. the Sears canister was in the 200-$300 range, I forget exactly. we have a mix of hard floors and carpet and it works well on both. I don't like uprights. the Sears has proved tough and well designed. I don't know what a Shark is like.

Lynda, you are preaching to the choir when it comes to closets. I am awful, terrible, pathetic about getting rid of old clothes. I didn't bother with the book though I'm aware of the "joy" , but know it won't work on me. I weeded things out last year when we did the master bath remodel, but there is still plenty of room to improve.
Josie I hope your back gets better. sometimes a break and some rest is the best thing. or a change in the routine. I'm tired of doing the same old hikes and need a change of scenery. I love dogs but I don't want one, if that makes sense. Lori I hope Gigi likes her new home.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did an indoor ride and today I did Supersets from the Body Blast series and 20 minutes of Ab Hits.

Deb-I hope you are feeling better. I'm really sorry that it is taking so long for you to get some relief.

Lori-I love the name Gigi for your puppy! I can't wait to see photos! The rebounder workout looks interesting.

Lynda-I am really bad about getting rid of old clothes too. We've been trying to declutter for the last couple of years, but still have a lot of work to do.

Valerie-yes, menopause is very rough on sleep :( I have a low dose hrt that I took for a little over a month, and it did seem to help. I stopped taking it after reading about all the possible risks. I need to talk to my doctor more and see what he thinks. Maybe I've overestimated the risk in my own mind, but my mother's aunt and one of her cousins had breast cancer so I'm a little concerned.

Josie-I'm glad your back is getting better. I don't blame you for not doing the MS ride.

Carolyn-Lower Body Blast is a great workout. I need to do that one again.

Hi to Diane Sue & Caitlin,

Judy

Today I did workout A again from my rotation. It took a bit longer at 93 minutes. This included the bonus stability ball abs. I also did Suzanne Bowen Barre Amped Lower body stretch. Calories burned was 511.
Workout today went like this
Lower Body Blast warm up then lunge pick up and split jumps,
load Slow and Heavy, and went ahead and did 3 sets of reverse lunge off of step with 15's
Slow and Heavy
back- dumbbell rows 1 set 25's 2 sets 20's
deadlifts 35's 8 reps 1 set; 20s 2 sets 8 reps
shoulders- overhead press, 15's 2 sets 8 reps
Butts and Guts
firewalkers
sit and stand 40# 10 reps
leg press 25 x 16 reps; 20# x 16 reps
stability ball glute squeeze
ball outer thigh 5# ankle weights
ball roll in and tucks
Ankle weights + step platform 5# ankle weights
hip raise with 5# ankle weights and 1 8# dumbbell on hip
inner thigh 5# ankle weight
all fours leg lifts, pizza press, modified hydrant 5# ankle weights

I thought that I had posted this earlier. My grandson 16 came over when I was typing and I guess missed the post button. He wanted me to help paint the nose on the Mascot head he is wearing tonight. He has been the school mascot this year. Somehow the nose was missing paint. It is a lion.

Carolyn, I had migraines as a child and they continued through most of my adult years. For some reason they stopped. I rarely get that type of headache. It seemed to stop after menopause. I still have Imitrex that is years old because I quit needing it.

Valerie, I used to eat really low fat. I find that sometimes low fat foods that are lining the shelves have to make up for low fat with extra artificial flavorings, sugars, and salt. I would just rather have the real thing. You eat so many healthy vegetables and dishes I am sure you are doing just fine. I love butternut and acorn squash. I like them just roasted with some pepper.. My husband wants to leave so early for things and I do not like having a "fun day" that requires me getting up and rushing around. He always tries to time things around heavy traffic times.

Josie, it looks like you got in some good workouts today. That is good that your back is much better.

Lynda, I don't know why I hang on to some of the things I have in my closet. I went through things at one time and started throwing a few things away. I try to remind myself that if I look at the item and think " No not that", that I should get rid of it. I don't know about my clothes sparking joy. Maybe it is because I mainly wear t-shirts and jeans. The fluff and sequins do not spark joy either. I think I need joy sparked somewhere besides my closet.

Judy, it has been so long since I have done that Super Sets workout. I do not even remember the moves anymore. It seems like I did Push Pull more often than the Super Sets.

Good morning,

John suggested I take a teaspoon of baking soda in about 6 ounces of water last night and it actually worked...better than any of the meds. I took a Benadryl and slept better than I have in a week. Not sure what to think about that.

Judy, I had no idea that there were places with computers with Windows 7....We usually go to Best Buy for all our computer stuff and usually there are few if any with any of the older operating systems. When we bought my desktop, you could not get anything but Windows 8.

Diane Sue, the only pattern I can see is sometimes when I take the meds (either the PPI or the Pepcid), I actually get heartburn, or it makes it worse! So pattern in the food, sometimes it is ok, and other times not. Not sure what histamine intolerance means? it's not an allergy to some things?

Carolyn, great calorie burn with that Lower Body workout! Sometimes it's nice to go back to an older one. We forget how much we enjoyed them. I can only do burpees and mountain climbers with my old Firm step up stool. I think a lot of headaches are caused by barometric pressure, more that we are aware of.

Valerie, love that you grow so many of your own vegetables. Squash is a favorite of mine too. I steamed a bunch of broccoli, cauliflower & zucchini the other day, to keep in the refrigerator to add as a side dish or to eggs etc. This is monumental for me!

Josie, glad your back is better. I can understand why you would opt out of the ride this time. Maybe next year.

Lynda, that vacuum looks like a good one. I am exactly the same with clothes that I have not worn in years! What I find that works is take the item out, decided when you wore it last, if it was years ago, don't even think about it's condition etc, toss it in the donation bag and move on to the next item. Sometimes I ask myself, " if I had somewhere to go tomorrow, would I wear this?"....mostly the answer is "no". Like Diane Sue, I don't think any of my clothes "spark joy"...

Judy, nice workouts! I really did not do the Super Sets workout that much....all that "workout A" workout B stuff confused me I guess. :). I hope you are able to get some info on the HRT meds so you can get through this.

Lori, love the puppy's name!

Agility class this morning, (hopefully)....

Take care,

Good morning,
I just finished my first Cathe Live workout. I needed to do upper body so I chose Shredded Upper Body. I liked the workout very much and as I expected, it's nice to see "regular people" instead of professionals in the group. I used my husband's laptop instead of trying to stream through the television.

I am another person who needs to do closet cleaning. I have so many old clothes that it's embarrassing. I keep thinking that I will wear that favorite outfit again and I never do. Now I have a closet full of suits and professional clothes that I don't need. I intend to donate those to an organization that helps struggling women with clothing for work.

Diane Sue, I was the same way with fat free and low fat foods, but I have slowly shifted away from those over the past two years. I prefer to avoid the added sugar and salt that's usually in them. I remember reading that migraines often decrease with hormonal changes as women get older.

Hello to the group. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

I should clarify.. I don't buy "fat free" cookies! I like fat free milk best. I buy reduced fat dairy if nothing weird is added. reduced fat cottage cheese, cream cheese, sour cream. just less fat and I don't notice any difference in the end result.
usually use full fat cheese. reduced fat cheese has less flavor and you end up using a bigger quantity so it's self defeating. I make a point of weighing and measuring cheese... so easy to go overboard there. I never could understand WW using the Laughing Cow processed stuff. I tried it but no, not for me. I think most of the weird fat free and low fat products have disappeared ... GF is more trendy.

Deb congrats on steaming vegies! try roasted vegies too. I toss with a bit of olive oil and roast at about 400 on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. no clean up that way either. I need to try roasted beets like we all talked about before. I promised myself I'd take another run at root vegetables and see if I can find ways to enjoy them.

Carolyn, I had a closet full of professional suits, blouses, etc. I donated them finally. shoes (heels) were the easiest to dump. I kept thinking I'd wear "better" clothes to weddings/ funerals... clothing is much more casual and the events infrequent. DH retired now 2 years ago and he refuses to get rid of his professional clothing even though he hasn't worn it. so the closet is still fairly full.
I like the LBB workout. my favorite lower body one.

Today's workout was a mixture. I wanted a bit of kettle bell cardio because that is in my original rotation that I had made. I did Kettle Body By Brook Cardio Kettle bell 24 minutes, 167 calories. I used a 15 # kettle bell for most of it but I had a 10 handy for the swings she does up to the side when in a lunge position and a couple of overhead fast moves. She uses a 10# GoFit kettle bell. I did not go on to the cool down and stretch with this workout. I then id Amy Bento's Advanced Step Challenge 3, combos 1,2,1&2,3, and power up, then the cool down and the stretch. This was 64 minutes and I burned 481 calories. I then did Abs #1 off of the same workout with the kettle bell, 15 minutes, 53 calories. I forgot how much I liked the abs on this workouts. Abs #2 is done with tubing. I used a 15 for most of it and the crunch to overhead press on the step a 20#. I finished off with Suzanne Barre Strengthen and Stretch relaxation stretch 15 minutes. There was plenty of stretching on Amy's workout though. I believe it is around 14 minutes of stretching and there is also a stretch on the abs workout. She usually does pretty good stretches. This one used the step standing and a towel on the floor. Total calories today was 726. Stretching and abs was interesting because Gertie decided today that she needed to snuggle or something. She kept trying to lift my arms up with her head . Funny dog.

Deb, it is me that is doing group A and B workouts. It is not all that complicated. I got the idea from a Rachel Cosgrove book I have. She does strength 3 days a week. There is a group of exercises put together that is group A and there is a group of exercises put together that is group B. one week you do group A, group B, group A the next week you do B,A,B. I looked at her moves and put together my own using dvds instead.
I had something about using baking soda in one of my Paleo emails recently and kept meaning to go back and look at it. That is interesting that it helped. I think some of the meds decrease stomach acid. They work in different ways so I would imagine that is why the baking soda helped. I don't think it really cuts down the actual acid. I could be wrong though. It might take some looking in to.
Histamine Intolerance is not really an actual allergy. I think it is more of a problem with how the body handles histamine. We all need some histamine and there are different types of intolerance. Some people take a DAO inhibiting capsules when they eat to see if the symptoms that appear like allergies get better. If this does not work it is not likely a histamine intolerance, but just allergies. These are very expensive and you can do the same thing with an intolerance diet. Often a person can start reintroducing foods and till they see where any problems lie. I think you can even get where some of the foods that were causing the problem can start being consumed once in awhile. At least that is my understanding. Dao is an enzyme in the body that breaks down histamine ingested foodstuffs. We all need our bodies to use histamine correctly. Some of the intolerance symptoms can actually be acid reflux, nausea, fatigue, sinus, high blood pressure, dizziness or vertigo. Sometimes it is a medical condition like , leaky gut syndrome, ulcerative colitis, IBS, that causes the problem. I keep running across this.

Valerie, a few years ago I was using a lot of the Hungry Girl recipes. She uses a lot of laughing cow cheese in her recipes. It seemed I had the laughing cow swiss cheese in my refrigerator all of the time. A lot of the recipes taste good and are easy to put together but I feel not as healthy as they should be. I used to like to buy stir fry veggie mixes and dump a laughing cow wedge in for a quick lunch. Finally it just started seeming kind of nauseating to me. I agree on cheese. I buy it in blocks and grate it with my food processor. Bagged shreds seem to have more additives and cellulose. I think that I mentioned this before. Even Horizons Shreds had cellulose in it. It loses the benefit of being organic for me when they add to it. I do realize that they need it to keep. It really does not take much to be an ounce of cheese. Thanks for clarifying. I never cared for skim milk. I used to put it in cereal and add fat free cool whip to get the creamy taste. I do not do that anymore :)

Carolyn, I think that you will enjoy the Cathe live workouts. When I had it I enjoyed having something new to do all of the time.

Another thought on allergies versus histamine intolerance for me is I am pretty sure that my problem is allergies. I have been following what is high and what is low graphs for our city. Ragweed dropped a bit and I am still coughing but my nose is not as drippy and my eyes are not watering. I generally am worse when something is high.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.