Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/13

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Same stuff here....if I feel up to it, I may try doing a short workout, maybe KCM's "Start Here". I have had that since it came out, but never opened it.

Lori, I hope you arrived safely and had a great dinner!

Diane Sue, now for a relaxing day today right? Having the family for dinner or going to your daughter's? Did you go on the motorcycle for your drive?

Valerie. what is wrong with those people? How can a gate be so complicated? Thanks for the info on diverticulitis...I have read that you should do a high fiber diet. I really hope that is the case, as I love salads. I don't think it had anything to do with reflux meds like H2 blockers, I have not had those since last fall. Are you leaving today for Montana?

Carolyn, good job on the yoga workout! where do you get your grass fed beef?

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend! Take care,

No workout today :) We didn't do family day today. Everyone had something else to do and I just wanted to rest as these allergies are causing lots of lack of sleep. For the last two days I have had puffy eyes with red eyelids and rash on my face with itching. My throat is itchy. Maybe molds? I don't know what it is. Not much has changed around here. I did eat quite a bit of peanut butter lately which I usually avoid.

Deb, good luck if you decide you are up to trying a workout. It was raining yesterday so no motorcycle. ride. Rain is moving in tonight again and then we are going to have temps back up in the 90's. It ought to be pretty humid. We have birthdays coming up over the next 3 weeks so we will be having plenty of family gatherings.

Valerie, I hear you on flies. Our fly population seems huge this year and it seems every time I open the door a drove of them come inside. I put powdered insecticide in my garbage can to cut down on them when I open the lids they don't come out. I am hoping the rain helps with some of the bugs. I have not noticed many mosquitos though. Tons of ants. I finally had to put some granules on the lawn. I put that off as much as possible with the dog going outside. I have to wipe her feet when she comes in.
I hope your air stays good for you. I often use dumbbells for some of the exercises so I don't have to stop and change the weights on the barbell so many times.

Hello Everyone,
Today is my rest day. I usually do some type of food prep for the upcoming week as I prepare dinner. Today I plan to cook extra vegetables for a couple of easy dinners. I often have a small vegetable serving with my breakfast so another reason to prepare ahead of time.

Deb, I get ground grassfed beef at the Publix grocery store. Whole Foods, Sprouts, and the Fresh Market are other places that I can get it. There is a local farm that produces great tasting grassfed beef and that's what I get.

Diane Sue, I hope a good rest day will help you feel better.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Carolyn, I do food prep while cooking dinner too. I recently made cauliflower rice and froze in quart bags and chopped up zucchini, and yellow squash, blanched and froze it. I found a skillet mexican zucchini recipe that I liked on Pinterest that was easy. Having some chopped will make it even quicker. I get my grass fed beef at Sprouts. Walmart has it once in awhile. I prefer it from Sprouts though.

We are at ourMT house. 12 hr drive. Due to some wreck we never saw that closed the interstate, causing a long very creative detour. It is lovely ....so quiet and everything is working like we planned. I can't tell you how nervous we were about doing this. But it is lovely. Except we have an echo.! Will see in a few days when we get the rest of the furniture and rugs. Probably need more rugs and soft things to absorb sound. Listening first to nighthawks then sandhill cranes and now a great horned owl.

Haven't the faintest idea why some people are being so idiotic about the gate. It wasn't unanimous.. things seldom are .....but a strong majority in favor so you would think everyone , after paying their share into the investment , would do their best to make things work. But there are always the nut cases like in Charlottesville who want things not to work.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did KCM's "Start Here" sculpting DVD. It felt good.

Diane Sue, sorry about the allergies, that sounds horrible. Do you take something like Benadryl when it gets this bad? I would not have thought to look for grass fed beef at Walmart.

Carolyn, that's great that you can get grass fed beef at so many locations. We don't have those yet. A Whole Foods has been building a site for about 18 months now...not sure why it is taking so long. The NG people would be proud of you for eating veggies at breakfast. :)

Valerie, glad that things are going well at the new house. I am sure the echo will go when more rugs and things are put there.

Take care,

Deb, I bet it did feel good to workout again. I hope that you are feeling better. I cant take Benedyrl. I would be wiped out for two days. I did try 3/4 od a dose one night. I still coughed and had some sleepiness during the day. Yesterday i went out and bought some of those throat lozenges with benzocaine . Those give me some rest. Two weeks ago i took Allegra for several days, but it did not help the symptoms at all and i still felt woozy . All of those things make my dry mouth problem worse. I also have to use a dry mouth spray at night.

Last edited:
This morning I did Strong and Sweaty Bootcamp 44 minutes, heart rate average 125/ max 169, 311 calories, 1,987 steps. I then did the bonus abs from Fit tower, 12 minutes, 38 calories. Total time was 57 minutes, 349 calories. I spent way too much time this morning trying to decide what I wanted to do. I even printed up some Body Beast worksheets. Then I looked at the at a couple of rotations of Cathe's I was kind of interested in. I started the Strong and Ripped one but added the abs. I take Sundays off so I started with the Sunday workout since they have Saturdays off. I am not even sure I want to do it yet though. I also kind of liked the look of the Fit tower/Ripped with Hitt/ Strong and Sweaty rotation. Both are just 30 days. But then I though I might want something a bit more muscle building? We will see. I guess being tired doesn't help. Maybe I will add some Fit Tower to the Strong and Ripped rotation.

Today was STS D4--Chest, Shoulders and Biceps. My total time was 1 hour 20 minutes and 343 calories burned. Average heart rate was 104 and maximum heart rate was 141.

Deb, I used the KCM Start Here for about a month when I started working out again after a year of doing no workouts. I did the cardio more than the sculpting. It was exactly what I needed at the time. I need to keep it in mind for days when I want a lighter workout. I do love my veggies! The NGs did a Veggie Challenge a few months ago that was right up my alley. I enjoy finding new ways to prepare our vegetables.

Diane Sue, l did the Fit Tower/Strong and Sweaty/Ripped with HiiT rotation last month. It has enough variety to keep your interest.

Valerie, rugs and curtains will help with the echoes in your new home. Do you have high ceilings? Decorating is fun when you can take your time doing it.

Hello to Lori, Judy, and Caitlin.

Good evening ladies,

Just a quick check in to say Hi! Wifi is very spotty so was not able to post earlier..Yesterday was a rest day. Was in the pool for a while so kicked back and forth with my noodle so I feel I certainly worked my legs. Today I did some bellicon bounces and then Cathe's Live Band workout. 75 mins / 607 cal. The brazilan grill was amazing as expected. My my stepson (Nicholas' half brother) and his family came too so it was a really enjoyable evening. My brother is visiting tomorrow.

Deb...great getting a workout in. Bet it felt great!

Diane sue...glad you are feeling better. Nice workout. I know what you mean when you arentrying to figure out the workout. Sometimes nothing is calling me. I usually try and plan the previous day so I do not dilly dally in the morning.

Valerie...once you start filling with furniture and carpets the echo should diminish a bit. Well this sounds good in theory!!!

Have a great evening all! Hi to Judy, Caitlin and Carolyn!

I am thinking the KCM DVD start here is the one I bought for my sil at your recommendations. thinking maybe she would get off her butt and do something. Ha!! She would not do it. All that about leading horses to water etc.... she is having serious medical issues because of her inactivity that are not good. I previewed the workout and thought it was good, not scary hard at all but a good starter workout that a beginner could do without worrying but not insultingly simple KCM was easy to listen to.

We did a lot of work today putting up lightsunloading things and getting materials for a snow fence. The altitude just drains off all energy for a few days. Will do a Yellowstone park visit tomorrow and no drudge work. Furniture on wed hopefully the rug too. The echo drives us nuts we need to fix it !! Decided we need blinds on big windows in lIving room. we already got measured for them but held off until we were sure. Well, now we are sure. They might help with the echo. Too.

Lori what kind of food does Brazilian grill have. ?

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I did a lot of errands and met my cousin for lunch. We ate out on a patio, it was a beautiful day.

Diane Sue, I hope those lozenges work. I can imagine how you feel...John has had some rough days too. He coughs a lot. I guess this is the worst time of year for allergies. I hate when I go to work out, and cannot make up my mind as to what to do. I do my best when I decided on Sunday what workouts I want to do for the week...not that this has happened recently.

Carolyn, it sounds like you are enjoying Meso 1 of STS. I had signed up for the Veggie Challenge, but did not follow through with it.

Lori, I think the "Noodle Pool" workout is great for the lower body. :)

Valerie, the KCM workout is really good, like you said, not too easy, but great for a beginner or someone coming off an injury. I used heavier weights, 10's and 7's. and it actually gave me doms the next day. I think rugs and blinds will go a long way to reduce the echo. We have a small bathroom upstairs and just taking the floor mat and bath mat out to clean leaves a small echo in there!

Class this morning with Kylee....

Take care,

Today I did Drill Max cardio blast premix which I have never done before. This felt like a HiiT workout to me. Time was 43 minutes and 329 calories. Average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 149.

I went out to renew my drivers license this morning, but was not successful. I needed my birth certificate and marriage license as proof of citizenship. I will go back later this week. It has to be done in person for anyone over 65.

Enjoy your day.

Today I did Strong and Sweaty Total Body Giant Sets that was next in that rotation, 61 minutes with stops, 255 calories, heart rate 106/169. The 169 must have been my 2 minutes peak of the workout, 43 minutes was fat burn, 16 minutes was cardio, 1059 steps. I then added on Fit Tower segment that was single leg push down with a 20# dumbbell 3 times with the stretch. I like this move because I can really feel it in the glutes. I finished off with KCM Body Design cardio boot camp and cool down, 16 minutes, 103 calories, 1,246 steps. Total time was 92 minutes, 391 calories. I have my grandson here today. It is my granddaughter 21 today's birthday. She usually watches him today and wanted to go out with her boyfriend since he works this evening. So, we have been busy making a project for his sister. Family will be here for dinner too since it is meet the teacher night. I bathed Gertie today in hopes maybe it helps a bit with bringing in allergens since it has been a month since her last bath. I went higher than Cathe on the lower body moves and about the same on upper. There are so many moves I did not want to type them all out.

Carolyn, you are coming along nicely with STS. I think I may do the rotation I chose and just fit in a bit of Fit Tower here and there.

Lori, that is it, nothing is calling to me. A lot of the time I sort of have something in mind, but I have been so tired and the allergies have kind of took the steam out of me. I have just ended up getting up and doing what I feel. Maybe this rotation I picked witll help.

Be back in a bit. I have to go play and finish dinner. Grandson has GO Fish set up for me :)

Valerie, I hope that you enjoyed Yellowstone today. I bet it is fun decorating and getting things put together in your vacation home. Blinds will probably help with the echo.

Deb, lunch outside sounds really nice. I hope class went well today. I never purchased that Kelly workout. The coughing is not pleasant for me or my husband who has to live with it. The lozenges help me get about an hour of sleep before I am back to coughing again. I am getting where I detest the taste of cough drops and throat lozenges and try to get away with just water when I am at home.

Carolyn, if I remember right that premix from Drill Max was hard. It has been a long time though. Isn't that the workout that one of the segments had you swinging the stability ball overhead till your arms were tired? Maybe I am thinking of something else. That is interesting on renewing your drivers license. Here I just go to the tag agency and pay, get a picture taken, and a new license. The only time it is hard to get done is if you miss the renewal date and then it is long lines, paper work, extra picture taking etc.. I have done that twice and now have my phone remind me to check just before every birthday.

Carolyn that is extremely weird that you would need to "prove "something for a normal renewal. Maybe the first time, if you are a new resident., you might need documentation but a renewal???? Does this have a connection to voting rights?? I have lived in this state (wa) for about 40 yrs. I renew by mail 7 yrs at a time. Needed a new pic last time after 14 yrs but usually no in person visit needed. I might need a vision test on my next one when I will be mid 70's but I don't think I need documentation other than previous license . I'm fine with seniors getting some check for vision or competence. I would have to jump thru some inconvenient hoops to get that kind of documentation.

We did a hike today for 2 hrs ...not hard but nice otherwise park was too busy. Beautiful and pleasant with pronghorns buffalo , big horns , and elk.
Our main rug seems to have been misplaced by Home Depot and can't be found. Will be pretty angry if they can't find it as it was ordered a month ago and was going to this store for us to pick up. Can't tell about the echo without the rug.

Deb good luck to you on your medical appt tomorrow. Hope you get some decent working plan. Everything else is coming together but we need a rug before we can finish up several things, like a floor plug.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Carolyn, I don't remember Drill Max....was it part of a series? You would think since you already had a driver's license, that they should know that you had to prove citizenship at one time...why have to do it again?

Diane Sue, Total Body Giant Sets in a really good one. Which rotation are you doing?

Valerie, how do they lose a rug?? I would be pretty upset, since you are not there permanently and want to get as much accomplished while you are there.

Lots of things today, besides the GI Dr appointment, vet appointment for Keegan, lunch with a cousin visiting from CA....agility class, and a club meeting....whew...how did I let all this be scheduled for the same day? :)

Take care,

Valerie, i hope they find your rug for you. We had problems with Home Depot on our flooring. We purchased it. They made sure they had it and we sent our grandson back to pick it up with his truck after he got off work. He came back missing part of the flooring. My husband called and got the supervisor. Appparently someone else was trying to sell our flooring to another customer. They got us the flooring though. My grandson had to make another trip back to pick it up.

Deb, you really do have a lot going on one day. I hope your gi appointment goes well today. Your day sounds rather exhausting.

This mornings workout on the rotation was RWH Low Impact Hiit #1. So I did the extreme mix of 1 and 2, 331 calories, 50 minutes, 133 average 162 max heart rate, 3,501 steps. I then did Ice Low Impact Sweat cardio #1 premix, 27 minutes, 173 calories, 130/161 heart rate, 1,577 steps. I finished off with Suzanne Bowen's Barre Amped Stretch lower body, 189 minutes, 32 calories. Total time was 96 minutes, 536 calories. I need to run back to the grocery store and maybe to my daughters for awhile.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.