Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/13

Good morning ladies,

Yesterday's workout was a BBS Dance workout and Cathe's Kickbox only from her Bday Bash. I then did the lower band portion of BBS Hips, Thighs and Buns dvd. Finished with 2 BBS Jumpropes but did them on the jumpsport. Total time was 83 mins / 644 cal. Today I did Live FT 2017 road trip followed up with a linda wooldrige upper body workout that uses bands only and my upper boy was exhausted after this. The FT workout was easy to modify without using the Tower. When I needed a barre I just put my jumpsport on the side and it worked great. For pullups I brought a very heavy band and looped it over the closet dowel. Pushed my clothes aside and another perfect modification! Tricep dips were on the chair. I was really worked when done. I prefer the fit tower but good to know you can do the workout without it. 82 mins / 445 cal

Deb...wow you have a busy day! Hope your appt. goes well. How is Keegan? My son came home from work yesterday and GiGi tore apart her bed. Nicholas said she has been really naughty. This seems to happen when we are away so thinking she has some sort of separation issue. He took a picture and sent to us. She wouldn't even look at him! I'll try and post later today. Need to do from the laptop.

Valerie...the hike sounds like it was beautiful, nice weather and the wildlife! Hoping your rug is found. That is annoying.

Diane Sue...yes which rotation? I missed that too! Great combination of workouts today. I never think of doing the SB Stretch. I should as I do enjoy it. It is also an active stretch which I like.

Carolyn...I have done Drill Max a few times. Been a while. I liked it because it had a little bit of everything. I think she did a Live Drill Max somewhat based on the dvd. Deb...I do not think it is part of a series. That is crazy you have to go thru that just to renew!

My husband is at the beach today. I decided not to go. He wants to be there most of the day and that is too much sun for me. Christopher (madeline's son) came with us this year so the plan for chris and I today is indoor pool then we are exploring all the sand sculptures throughout the local towns. They do this every year and you can vote for the best. We have a map and will be searching most of them down inbetween stopping for a lobster roll then icecream cones. :)

Have a great day all!!!

Lori, that is funny GiGi didn't want to look at him. Gertie used to do that when we were gone when she was a pup. I finally took away most of the doggie beds and she had to sleep in the crate with a towel which she shredded. I am glad that does not happen anymore. We couldn't get rid of all the doggie beds though because we still had Mudd and as Mudd got older she really wanted to lay on a cushy bed. So, they had them when we were in the room with them. Mudd still had hers in her crate though. Gertie was good at hijacking Mudd's bed. You came up with quite a creative way of getting your workout in. I would never have thought of using a Closet rod. I have laid on the floor and used the legs of beds for some band work like crunches before and took my TRX and door attachment as well as bands. The only thing is that most hotels seem to put the rooms like the bath with a door right next to the outside door and an entryway and there is not much room to work there.

I forgot to answer Debs question on the rotation. I picked the one from Strong and Sweaty, 30 day rotation called Strong and Ripped using S&S and RWH. It looked like it had a lot of good variety of both workouts.

Today was D5 Back and Biceps. Workout time was 1 hour 26 minutes with 343 calories burned. I did the extended stretch after that for 15 minutes.

Lori, Drill Max is a fun workout, but the cardio only premix is hard. I think in the full workout there is recovery time because of the variety of moves. The cardio only reminds me of doing Cardio Core Circuit cardio only premix which is also hard.

Diane Sue, Drill Max is the one that uses the stability ball in the cardio. It gets very heavy very quickly!

Georgia passed a law a few years ago that requires proof of citizenship for most things. I had to do it two years ago when I renewed my professional license with the Secretary of State. At that time I completed an affidavit and had it notarized. It is annoying with the drivers license because I have to make a return trip.

Hello to All and have a great day.

Carolyn, I used to dread that ball segment. I did it , but dreaded it. The workout is not bad as a whole but that cardio only is tough0. That is crazy that they make you do all of that over again. So you had to go to the Secretary of State to renew your professional licence? Or was it just paperwork filed with the Secretary of State? It seems like having proof for one thing would be enough for the license. Do you have to drive far for that? 0

Diane Sue,
The drivers services center is about 15 miles away. I am going again tomorrow. I was able to mail the affidavit for my professional license and the actual renewal was done online. I agree that I shouldn't have to prove my citizenship again, but I don't think the different government agencies communicate with each other.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, I was running around so much, decided not to try to fit it in.

Diane Sue, your day yesterday sounds busy too! That's a tough rotation.

Lori, whew! that was a lot of different exercising. Good that you found all those ways to modify without the FT. Keegan is doing ok. They took blood for some tests yesterday. Should get the results tomorrow sometime. Would love to see some of the sand sculptures that you like. Oh! Wow, she really does not like the fact that you are away!

Carolyn, that does sound like a pain, just to renew a driver's license. You are definitely right in saying that government agencies do not communicate with each other! Having worked with many of them in my career, I can attest to that. :).

We are meeting John's best friend ( and roommate all through dental school) and his parents for lunch today. Looking forward to it.

Take care,

Carolyn, no, they dont seem to communicate, they could make it easier for you by allowing you to send in proof that you have done this before. I guess they know all of the tricks of those that possibly come up with fase documents. They would have to hire extra people to go over each to make sure everything is authentic. I guess it is the price we pay for what others have done. It is too bad that it has gotten that way.

Deb, I can sure see why you didnt work out yesterday. Lunch with your husbands friend and parents sounds enjoyable. I hope Keegans blood work show something positive.

Allergy to mold I guess. They have been mentioning it on the news. My coughing is improved. I have altered some foods i have been eating. I read up on an allergy clinic site here about foods to eat and not eat with mold allergies. I will do that at least while it is high as it eliminates citrus fruit, vinegar, peanuts. Leftovers is hard as I cook ahead and can not do that one fully. Only fresh coffee and not coffee that has been sitting. Yesterday I had to go outside and remove loads of toad stools in the yard. I looked out to check on Gertie and saw them. So, i wore gloves and a mask to remove them. My eyes were so irritated the rest of the day though. My daughter says her husband wears tight fitting goggles when he does work outside. It rained more last night so i eill probably have to do this again.

Hi Everyone,
Today I did Athletic Step for 47 minutes and 336 calories. Average heart rate was 126 and maximum heart rate was 167. This was my first time doing this workout. I ordered it and Step Moves when I preordered the new series. I will need to do it a few more times to learn the moves. As always, I modified to lower the impact for some parts.

Well I have my new drivers license. It only took about 10 minutes when I went back this morning.

Have a wonderful day.

Today I did Turbo Fire Low Impact 20, 19 minutes, 123 calories, average heart rate 140 max 173, 1,759 steps. I followed this with Strong and Sweaty Ramped Up Upper body mix with the abs, basic mix 1, 75 minutes(15 minutes longer than actual) 324 calories, heart rate 98 average max 140, 1,328 steps. I had to estimate calories because I had taken the Fit Bit out of its frame and put it in a different band after cardio and it was in wrong. It still gave this heart rate though but the calorie burn for the 75 minutes was 115??Map My FItness gave me 407, Workout manager, lowering to a met value of 5.0 was 331. Workout manager was much higher at a met of 7. Calories burned net using Fit Bit heart rate was 222. What I used was what I had on My Fitness Pal previously. I finished off with Barre Amped Upper Body Stretch, 13 minutes, 22 calories. Total time was 1 hr 47 minutes, calories burned 469.

Carolyn, I really like both Step Moves and Athletic Step. It takes a little bit to get the step moves, but it is not real hard. That is nice that it did not take long to get your license.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, I was so tired, I just wanted to sleep. I think these anti-biotics are really rough on the system. Hopefully things will be back to normal when I finish these.

Diane Sue, sorry about the allergies, but maybe you have hit on something with the mold, and some foods. 115 calories for 75 minutes seems awfully low.

Carolyn, whew...I bet you are glad that is over. You have to do it every year?

Hello to all....anyone have any fun plans for the weekend?

Hi Everyone,

This week seems to have gone quickly. Monday I did Total Body Sculpting, Tuesday was Yoga Max, Wednesday I did a Spinerval, and yesterday I did High Step Circuit.

Deb-I hope you feel better. I think antibiotics are hard on the system. We don't have any special plans this weekend.

Diane Sue-I am suffering with allergies too. Ragweed is the worst for me and it's really high here now. I've been taking Allegra in the morning and using Nasacort.

Carolyn-Athletic Step sounds like a good one. I'm hoping to start getting into the more advanced step workouts soon.

Lori-It sounds like you are having a great vacation! Awesome that you are keeping up with your workouts too!

Hi to Valerie & Caitlin!

Judy

Deb, i think antibiotics are rough on the system too. I think sleep is one of the best things for your body to recover. Yes, i felt that i would have burned 115 calories doing nothing for that length of time.

Judy, nice workouts this week. I love Yoga Max. It is great done in it's entirety.
i use an app that shows allergen levels to sort of keep track of what bothers me. It seems like i get hit by pretty much all of them.. no coughing last night. I have Nasacort and Flonase here. They both seem to affect me in an adverse way and i dont notice significant help. I wish I did though.

Good evening ladies,

Yesterday morning it was all about Suzanne Bowen...I started off with and an advanced lower body, followed up with lower body mixed cardio and ended with her cardio bounce from her bounce dvd. 63 mins. Going to do a few Linda Woolridge band workouts today concentrating on upper. It is our last day on the Cape. Will be sad to go home. We have had a great time.

Deb...boy you have had such a tough time. I can see how the antibiotics could upset things.

Diane Sue...I have Turbo Fire but was not a hugh fan. I liked a few of the workouts but that is it. I like Chalene as an instructor and loved her in Chalean Extreme. Your allergies sound really bad this year. When I first read the toad stool I thought it was froggy poop but realized it had to be something else so I googled it. Thought it was terrible you had that many toads in your yard! I have never had to deal with those mushrooms. I can see the spores on those Mushrooms would really aggravate your symptoms.

Judy...nice workouts this week. I have been doing really great with my workouts. And the bands have been great to use. Really has mixed things up for me.

Carolyn...good your license is all set. I have not done either of those Step workouts. Enjoy them!

I am on Michele Dozios' email list and she sent out an email about her new 10 min "On The Go" workouts. I love her in her Peak Fit System so figured why not. I bought the digitals and for $13.59 (20% off if your ordered before the 22nd) comes with six 10min workouts and fifteen premixes ranging from 20 to 60 mins. Thought all this was worth the $13.59. They are available next week so looking forward to using them as add ons. Always looking for a nice 10 min finisher. Will let you know how they are.

Today's workout was either cardio of choice or Cycle Fit. I was really not wanting to do Cycle Fit but did the entire workout this morning. It is not my favorite, but sure makes my legs tired. I am hoping it doesn't make RWH Lower body circuit really hard to do tomorrow. At one point on a climb I had the tension so tight I finally had to lower because I couldn't get my right foot to push the pedal forward any longer. Anyway, Cycle Fit 53 minutes, 380 calories, 12.10 miles, 3,152 steps, heart rate average 125, heart rate max 160. I had set up my rebounder thinking I would do some after Cycle Fit but was tired so I did 21 Day Fix Extreme Yoga instead, 32 minutes, 53 calories. Total time was 85 minutes, 433 calories. Those push downs I did for my legs add on the other day from Fit Tower Total Body have left my glutes so sore!!

Lori, nice mix of rebounding workouts today. I have never done a Michelle Dozios workout. I know many seem to like her. It is nice that your vacation was so much fun. I almost just called them mushrooms. I always heard there was a difference and you would not want to eat a Toad Stool. LOL on collecting toads out of my yard. We did had swarms of baby frogs once when we had tons of rain and my husband had fence post holes dug. They were popping out of the holes and were all over the place. Frog Poop!! Ha Ha!! That is funny.

Today was STS D6 Legs, 1 hour 15 minutes and 337 calories. I followed that with the extended stretch.

Deb, this was the first time that needed to renew my drivers license since the Secure ID law went into effect in 2012. My new license will be good for 8 years and I should not have to provide the proof again.

Judy, I am glad that you are enjoying the step workout. Which one do you plan to try after Basic Step?

Lori, I don't blame you for snapping up the Michelle Dozois downloads at that price. I'm sure you will use them.

I convinced my WW leader to try a Cathe workout a few months back. She has been working out with dvds and home equipment for years but had never heard of Cathe. She bought Chiseled Upper Body and has been using it in her 6 weeks rotation. She loves it and I think she is hooked! Wednesday she asked about another Cathe dvd to try.

Diane Sue, I hope your allergies get better soon. The anti mold foods that you mentioned are some of the same ones that cause allergic reactions for my daughter.

Valerie, I hope things are going well at your vacation home.

Good afternoon ladies,

Yesterday I ended up doing Cathe's most recent Live upper body. I used bands in place of weights and loved it. I will do it again with weights and have taken a mental note that this can be an awesome upper body travel workout. Today was a rest day. Packed up and drove home. :( It was raining on the Cape which made it easier to leave. Beautiful at home.

Diane Sue...I find spinning exhausts my legs! Fingers crossed RWH Lower is doable for you. Peak Fit is a really great advanced rotation. Thinking you would like it. I also have her Body Fit workouts but have yet to do them.

Carolyn...you have been doing great with STS!!!!! I think I will like the On The Go Workouts. Awesome aboit your WW leader. She is hooked now!!!

Have a good night all...we are planning a fire tonight and just relaxing. Will be a nice quite evening.

I am getting here later than usual. I had to do my hair color and this new color takes more work since it does not have all of the more allergic reaction stuff. I have to put the cap on and heat it for the first 10 minutes of time with a blow dryer. I have spent the afternoon working on a dessert for another dual family birthday celebration tomorrow at my daughters. I ran out of vanilla so I had to go to the store before I made the cheesecake part. When I got got back I had accidentally purchased peppermint extract. I had to run back to Sprouts for the vanilla. I was lucky I noticed the peppermint smell when I opened it before I poured it in. Too bad I opened it because I could have exchanged it. Sprouts is pretty expensive for the extracts. They are good ones though and organic.
Today I did RWH Circuit Lower Body, 47 minutes, 339 calories, heart rate average 126, max 156, I used Cathe's weights for most of it, a couple of places opting for 25's. 2,575 steps. RWH bonus abs 1 was on the schedule, 10 minutes, 31 calories, I also did Fit Tower bonus abs, 12 minutes, 31 calories. I ended with Barre Amped Power Stretch, 23 minutes, 37 calories. I got lower calories on everything than usual today. Maybe because my Fit BIt Battery was getting lower or that my resting heart rate has been lower this week. Total time was 92 minutes, calories burned 438.
I am having a hard time avoiding the foods bad for mold allergies. I bought plain yogurt to eat with my protein powder to avoid so much fat from the nut butter and I went back and looked and I am supposed to avoid yogurt and sour cream as well as aged cheeses. The coughing has pretty much let up so I will go ahead and finish the yogurt and then avoid it for awhile. Maybe I can come up with something else like making the protein bars that are not quite so full of fat.

Carolyn, I almost always did the extended stretch with STS. It felt good after putting in a hard workout. That is great that you have your weight watcher leader interested in Cathe :) Enjoy your rest day.

Judy, that is great that you are getting into more step workouts. Have you done any of Kelly's?

Lori, a rest after getting home is probably nice. I will have to go back and check out Peak Fit. I bet Gigi was happy to have you home. Are you going to get her a new bed? I made it through the workout and did all of the jumps etc., but afterward I noticed my knees are a bit achy going up and down the stairs. I am glad I did the stretch except that Barre Amped Power Stretch does tax the legs a bit in those hols on your toes etc..

Valerie, I hope you do not have to be on the road at any time all of these people are travelling to get the best look of the eclipse. I am not sure if that is where you are at, but I thought I saw something about people travelling to some small town in Washington.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.