Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/20

Hi Everyone,

This morning I did a Spinerval before work. I wanted to do Cathe's class but I had to get an earlier start today so I will do it over the weekend.

Valerie-I use a lot of different fiber supplements too. I like Konsyl (psyllium) and add it to protein shakes. I'm trying a new one "SupraFiber", I saw it at CVS and thought I would try it out.
I'm a little sore after using the heavier vest and 35 lb barbell. I probably wouldn't do that workout more than once a week.

We think having FIL so close will help. The plan we have for now is that I will stop there every day on my way to work and DH and I will both go see him in the evening after work. That way we can make sure he is getting the proper care and we can get to know the staff. We're going to bring him some foods he likes too. When he was in the hospital, they suggested we give him Carnation Instant Breakfast drink mixed with milk or ice cream. I guess they have had good results giving that to patients who didn't want to eat or didn't have an appetite.

Lori-I can't wait to get the heavy bag! I loved going to kickboxing classes back in the late 90's. Lots of fun! I love the tower too, I will be using it a lot.

Deb-I agree about the massage scheduling. I'd rather not go to work after having one. The person I've been going to has limited hours and morning was the only time I could get this week. I'm going to try not to do that again though.

We were concerned that FIL would resist moving but he hasn't at all. I was concerned that he would be upset about his house but I don't think he will be.

Hi to Lynda & Josie!

Judy

https://www.google.com/search?q=jap...ATh-4KYCg&sqi=2&ved=0CBwQsAQ&biw=1228&bih=772

this is my absolute favorite plant. it doesn't have flowers but it's gorgeous in color and shape. here, it starts leafing out in march and stays looking like this until at least November. I started with a couple but it's simple to propagate . now I use it to line all my beds. it requires no care or feeding and is dense enough to not get any weeds inside of it. Not sure if it's hardy everywhere but it's Japanese so should not be wimpy. yeah, I like flowers, but this is lovely for months rather than 2 weeks of beauty and then crud. this is a fabulous plant.

Good morning and Happy Friday!

I didn't realize that I didn't post yesterday. I slept in and when I got up I had to just get ready for work, didn't spend a lot of time on the computer.

Lynda, would love to have that pesto recipe. We grew one Oriental poppy in a corner of our yard that bloomed once in June for years, then we had to move it when we expanded our driveway and it died. We should get another one...thanks for the reminder. Sky Dancers...huh..would never had guessed. Did he locate one? Maybe on line? Here is one not as expensive as some of the others. I don't know what the difference is, why some are so much more:
Amazon.com : 20FT Red Skyer Wacky Waving Inflatable Fly Sky Guy Puppet Advertising Dancing Tube : Business And Store Signs : Industrial & Scientific

Valerie, rain is so strange, everywhere...sometimes is rains here on one block and not the other. ARe fiber supplements something your body gets used to and sort of dependent on? I would think with all the vegs you eat that the fiber in them would work well too. That grass is beautiful! Would it grow here in the east?

Lori, I guess your body is telling you that you need a bit of a break. Probably a good thing that you are listening to it. When you don't that is when people get injured.

Judy, glad your FIL has taken the move in a good way. Your plan to stop there frequently is a good one. My cousin goes to see her father about 3 times a week, then she pays a person ( not really a friend, but someone she knows well go there and play cards with him, or try to get him to do the evening activities etc. When the employees at the places know that you drop in a lot, there is a big difference in the care. She saw that my aunt as well.

Anyone have any fun plans for the weekend? We don't, John is going on a fishing trip tomorrow, and I have only a mani/pedi planned with my cousin.

Love the weekends!

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did Flextrain (56:36), and last night took Max for a 3 mile walk.

Deb, I sent you the pesto recipe. I think DH does the cheese, garlic, and nuts first in the food processor, ground fine, then the basil leaves, gradually, and finally drizzles in the olive oil. He also prefers Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for all of the cheese. Thanks on that Amazon site. I don't think DH has been looking there.

Valerie, yes, I have some cone flowers, both white and purple, and they are blooming now. I also have this fuzzy purple plant my FIL gave me, which is really pretty this year. I don't know what it is. Next comes the rudebeckia. Those grasses are very pretty.

Lori, they have several cafes at Jacob's Pillow and I know they sell wine there. Perhaps he is going there. There is also a very nice wine/liquor store in Lenox and they have cheese and wine-tastings on the weekend, and they sell big picnic baskets for both Tanglewood and Jacob's Pillow.

Off to Jacob's Pillow tomorrow for Mark Morris.

Hi to Judy and Josie!

Good evening ladies!

No workout today. Did not sleep at all. Around 3pm someone came up to me and said you look really exhausted. Came home and DH and I just relaxed and chatted.

Deb...wow that sky dancer is 20ft tall!!!!! Did not realize they were that big.

Valerie...those plants are really nice and full. I have flowers near my fire pit and also in the stone patio area but that is it. And it takes so much effort on my part just to water them. I just do not have a green thumb at all.

Lynda...not sure what the wine vendor was doing out that way. When I see him I'll ask. Some day I'll get out that way.

Hi to Judy and Josie!

Happy Weekend,

Lynda, so I guess you have to buy one of these too, if you get the less expensive Sky Dancer: Amazon.com: Soleaire SK-101B 1-HP 5880-CFM 3-Speeds 18-Inch Diameter Sky Dancer and Fly Guy Tube Advertising Fan Blower, Black: Home Improvement. Have fun at Jacob's Pillow today.

Lori, sometimes you just need to take a break. Your body is telling you something. I'm with you, gardening is more of a chore for me, but I do like to look at a nice weed free garden.

Hi to Valerie, & Judy,

Agility class, then a man-pedi appointment with my cousin,

Have a great weekend.

I didn't post yesterday either, we left early to do a hike. ended up being 7.5 hours. mileage somewhere around 11 RT. plus a long drive each way. it was just gorgeous. but it was hard. and it was busy. makes me feel old with all the young people charging up the trail at high speed. oh well, I got up and back, didn't need to be rescued! I'm having more issues with my left foot and will need to have a podiatrist look at it. probably surgery in my future.

I had no idea how those sky dancer things "worked"... what a surprise. Hope they do predator control for you Lynda.

Lori I agree with Deb.. if you work and play hard, you need a rest day. probably one day a week is quite reasonable and probably better than a workout every single day.

After our serious hike yesterday we take a garden day and then ride tomorrow. After hiking yesterday we both realized that riding is not the same as hiking and even riding hard and fast like we've been doing doesn't condition for hiking. they're both tough activities but we need to get back on the treadmill or elliptical. just no cross over effects from riding.

I'm a pretty lazy gardener and want things that look good most of the time but don't require a lot of fussing. I water plants for the first season after I get them but after they're be on their own for the most part. I don't do many annuals except for a few hanging baskets.

Here, the Japanese forest grass is an easy perennial. same with coneflowers. I must have at least 40-50 grasses started from an couple small plants from a nursery. they die back in late fall, November sometime, and come up in early spring. they are dense and don't get weedy at all, plus slugs and deer don't bother them. zero care! they look lovely from all directions, even from above and make a lovely sight in the breeze, plants of Japanese origin usually do well here. look at the planting zone the plant is hardy to and compare to the planting zone you live in. I don't usually bother with things that freeze out here. like rosemary... it's lovely, easy to grow, but every couple years they freeze out and you need to start over. our winters are wet and some plants don't like that either. like roses. I have a small rosemary on my deck for fresh leaves so it's protected from the worst weather and has lasted several years. I have lots of woody shrubs and pick more for foliage color and less for flowers.

Deb, if things were fair, all the vegies I eat would be insurance. but not so. I need loads of bran, psyllium, etc. it truly rules my life. I'm fine if I do what I need to, but just one meal without enough fiber will cause issues. so I don't deviate much. Laxatives, even "natural" ones like senna, can cause dependence... so I rarely use any. so I'm always the one eating the big salad while everyone else eats a burger...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.