Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/10

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning all,

We finally got some rain late last evening, and it looks like maybe some overnight. That is good for our lawns and plants for sure.

Lori, thanks for the tips and links on the hair dye and shampoo...that shampoo looks interesting, a body wash and shampoo all in one....mmm...may get one with my next Amazon order. Bob's secret is safe here.

Judy, I agree with ICE, it needed a Leg Muscle Meltdown...I wonder why she left that out. Funny, I remember liking one of the core workouts a lot...the standing one I think with the weight? There is a chain of hair salons that uses 100% organic or something like that for hair dye, you can't buy it commercially...they charge double what any other salon does to do your hair...

Diane Sue, yep, that sounds like a 2 year old...especially a boy! Yes, ink cartridges are definitely a rip off! Sometimes they have a good deal at Best Buy and we buy 2 or 3 at a time...but mostly I cringe when we have to buy them.

Valerie, I think the shampoo and/dye are probably what is doing it...since it seems a lot of people have reactions to those ingredients. I would try kneeling and doing it in the tub with head over side etc. I assume you have one of those hose/shower head things? That is how I always wash my hair, hate doing it in the shower. John was using Dove bar soap, he has itchy skin as well, but we found that it clogs the drain! The soap residue it leaves was making our shower drain clog...when we cleaned it out and switched soaps, it hasn't happened since. I think that soft film it supposedly leaves on your skin was coating the drain.

Caitlin, you may need to take a few rest days, maybe a week of really easy stuff like yoga or stretching workouts, it sounds like you are in a lot of pain.

I bought some 100% pure tart cherry juice yesterday to try to use as an anti-inflammatory...has anyone tried this? It is also supposed to aid in sleep...we'll see. It has a high sugar content which I don't like, so if it works, next time I will get the actual concentrate, which I found out afterwards has a lower sugar content.

Hi to Josie, and Lynda,

Take care,

Good morning ladies!

No workout yesterday. I was all ready and about to start and my husband suggested we leave early to go to a couple of shelters looking for a dog. He really needs something to fill the hole in his heart. So of course I said sure let's go. We had no luck though. The one we fell in love with had tendecies to nip and growl at people. He warmed up to us really quickly but anyone that would walk by he went nuts. So this was a no. Then there was another we liked but he did not like cats so another no. We left depressed. :(. I think I mentiond we have a friend that breeds labs and has offered us first pick. We are leaning towards getting a puppy now. Although training one is something I am not looking forward to. We still have a a few months to decide.

I hope Bob never hops on these forums!! Hehehheh

Deb...hope the dye works well for your friend. Bob has been using the all in one hair and body shampoo for a while with great success. I usually just use a Suave shampoo. I am not fussy and have no allergies. I always thought Dove soap was very messy and can see how it could clog things.. Let us know how you make out with the cherry juice.

Judy...Funny I like both the Core workouts in Ice. Perhaps because they are intermediate and as you know I hate doing core work. :)

Valerie...sounds like a really tough ride with all the mud. Hope you find out what is causing all the itching and solve the issue.

Diane Sue...meant to mention that I have been using the essential oil recipe for my shoulder since my knee has been fine. Peppermint with eucalyptus with fractionated coconut oil as a carrier. I add in a little more of the pepperment and eucalyptus and it feels really nice. I use in morning and evening. Started rubbing in on my husband's lower back and he loves it. I hate Walmart on weekends period.

Caitlin...the muscle meltdowns are great. Rest up!

Hi to Lynda and Josie!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will look into everything and still may try to see a Derm. I've been dealing with the itchy back for probably two yrs now, and I only have used the permanent color once, about 6 weeks ago. I was using some temporary color before that though so maybe this is all connected. somehow we got started on dove soap. my skin is always dry and I try not to use too many drying soaps. detergents feel like they take off a layer of skin. I can't use any of the soap they put in public restrooms. always carry sanitizer.
I washed my hair in the sink but that is a mess. will try next kneeling in the shower. yes, we have a hand held one but I was trying to get away from the wet hair streaming down my back in the shower. it's long, shoulder length. I've tried a variety of creams and lotions on my back and none do much. hydrocortisone. Tricalm. plain coconut oil. cetaphil cream and lotion. probably a few more. there is no rash or anything inflamed looking, just itches. not even my whole back, mostly the area where my bra fits which is how I got going on thinking it might be the fabric itself.

Deb, do they run the Peoples Pharmacy in your paper? this morning there was a section about tart cherry juice as an inflammatory and sleep aid. I use tart cherries in my oatmeal sometimes. Costco has Montmorency dry cherries. they are "officially" sweetened, but are still tart. I like them a lot, use them in gorp along with almonds and M&M's. I've never seen tart cherry juice but am interested. is it frozen or in the juice aisle? I also read it is helpful for gout attacks, something my sister just had.

I am getting a new printer and that is one thing I'm looking at before.. what cartridges does it use and how much are they. feels like a rip off. my old printer I've had to buy after market, off brand stuff and it doesn't work very well, but HP hasn't made them for years.

Lori a dog that nips or growls right off is probably not a good bet. one hostile to cats would not get my vote either. so hard to find adult dogs who don't have bad habits most probably never got 1 minute of training. many dogs for adoption are at least part pit bull and I know people say they are sweet and lovable, but I am wary of anything pit bull.

Hi everyone--

This morning I did Low Impact Hiit Circuit (53 min.).

We had a great time at Jacob's Pillow, even though it was very chilly and rainy. I'm glad I brought my fleece. We all liked the first half, which was quite eclectic with 3 pas de deux from different choreographers and a piece that used the whole company. We all disliked the second half intensely. It was supposed to be a "celebration of Neapolitan women" but it was really aggressive and angular movement and the women kept lashing their hair around I guess trying to look sexy. For me it looked like the beginning of shaken baby syndrome. The musicians were authentically Italian, and they all looked overweight and sang too loud and stamped their bare feet. Very obvious stereotypes of passionate Italian peasant women who are thrown around at times by their men, wearing Stanley Kowalski like outfits. If I were a Neapolitan woman I would not have been happy with this depiction. Ugh--but we had fun being critical on the way home.

Still rather murky and rainy today, but at least we did get a good soaking rain.

Lori, I have several friends who adopted greyhounds that were going to be destroyed. They are truly the sweetest dogs with great dispositions. Very regal looking and become attached to their owners. Don't worry--Bob's secret is entirely safe with me.

Valerie, I hope you can find a solution to your itching. I'm sure it's very annoying.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

No workout today. I really could use some stretching of yoga or something though. I was pretty achy last night and this morning when I got up.

Deb, I have read on plumbing issues that some soaps clog the drains. My husband is the one that always has the clogged drain and he insists on Irish Spring soap. He was getting dry skin and I bought the moisturizing ones and the aloe and I think those made the drain problem. I went back to the original, but am not sure that is working since I just had to run out for drain cleaner again. I have tried vinegar and backing soda followed with boiling water which helps a bit but not much. The soap makes a residue that collects whatever else falls down the drain.
I have used tart cherry juice concentrate before. I used to mix it in with my Amazing Grass Green superfood antioxidant powder and water in the mornings. I am not sure how much it helped inflammation. I get to using so many things and it gets costly so I back off for awhile. The sugars are one of the reasons I have not been enthusiastic about buying again. I did read recently that it is good as a sleep tonic. I always used it in the mornings. I have considered trying again since I have such al lousy time sleeping at night.

Lori, it seems like a lot of dogs that are in dog shelters have some sort of problems unless they are a small pup that someone could not handle training. My younger daughter and her family got their dog Muffin, who was 2 when they got her from a place called Pets and People which is a rescue facility. Muffin is beagle and rat terrier. She is a warrior with other dogs, completely docile with the children. I don't think she would ever bite a human and she never growls. We think she may have had a female owner because she migrates to the females. Olivia my 8 year old granddaughter is her favorite. She will sneak and hid in the closet or room so maybe she can sleep on Olivia's bed at night. You just know you have to hunt for her before you leave the room. I just felt bad when they first got her and bought her over and they had put a huge tattoo all over her belly with a number on it. She has a chip too. If anything happens and she is picked up the facility gets a call. I just never could understand why they had to cover her whole belly like that. I guess what I am saying is that there are still good behaved dogs out there. My other daughter lucked out when she got her chocolate lab puppy because she was 6 months old. Training was quick.
I have been meaning to get an essential oil blend that Melaleuca has that is called blue heat. It is one of their mixes and is peppermint, camphor, German chamomile blue, and osmanthus absolute. The reviews are great on it and it is also suggested that it be diluted with almond or coconut oil. I just got the Vapor blend a couple of days ago and it seems to be helping my allergies. I put it in my diffuser. It might work for the muscle soreness and pain too. It has peppermint , eucalyptus , Cyprus needle/twig oil, may chang fruit oil, myrtle leaf oil, and bay leaf/gum oil. I also read on (I believe Dr Axe) that rubbing some frankincense and lavender into the palms helps allergies. I find somethings work wonders and some do not for me.

Valerie, that sounds exactly like my back itchy spot. It had scratch marks on it though because I kept using the end of my ink pin to scratch at it. I had my daughter , PA dermatology look at it and she said she could only see where I had scratched at it and gave it a name. I asked what that was and she said the medical term for weird itchy spot. I put cortisone on and it does not help much. I did stop using the soap and shower gel on my back and I dip my washcloth under the faucet and wipe across it and it is itching less. Also the hair product types that I mentioned. Maybe sweating under the bra just aggravates it?? They have dried tart cherries in the bulk bins at Sprouts. I wish they told what they used in them. I just made a salad recipe that called for dried cranberries juice sweetened. I can never find them anywhere. I loave dried tart cherries. The Montmorency ones are delicious tossed into salads and veggie dishes.
Yes, researching the printers ink is a good idea. The HP I just loaned my daughter had the individual cartridges. 1 black, 1 black photo, and the individual colors. It got expensive to keep up and when I would buy a multi pack of colors I ended up with extra yellows because I was not using yellow very much.

Lynda, that does not sound like such a wonderful show. Good for you finding the fun afterward. Do greyhounds need a lot of exercise? I know someone who has an Italian greyhound and from my understanding they are pretty active She ran with her dog all of the time. I realize that they are much smaller. Greyhounds are such a pretty dog.

Caitlin, Osteo Biflex never did much for me either. I have found UCII Collagen helps a lot with a good quality fish oil. You have to keep up with it though. I run out and stop periodically and a couple of weeks later I can definitely tell the difference. My finger joints lock up and I have to pry them open when I quit. But, on the other hand everything I have read said these supplements, including glucosamine chondroitin are safe for around 6 months at a time. Also there is a supplement called Capriflex that has helped a lot. It is pretty expensive. Are you moving back later and getting your cat back?

Last edited:
Good evening! Back again!

This morning I did Fit 'n Firm. Thanks ladies for bringing this to my attention. I felt I could do more after so added on the firewalker segments from Flex Train and LL&A. This certainly did the trick.

Very productive day around the house. With all the nice weather I neglected the inside so kind of glad of the rainy weather this weekend.

Diane Sue...I will check out Blue Heat. Sounds great. So far I like the few oils I have experimented with. It is good to have a complete rest day every now and then. We would love a chocolate lab. My friend has 2 litters going so we are hoping for a chocolate female but will take a male. Hate to have a puppy all over again but know we will melt once we see her or him.

Lynda...well at least the first part was great and the ride home seemed to have helped! We talked about greyhounds but Bob wants a dog no older than a year or two.

Valerie...sounds like you have to go thru so much work to wash your hair! I really hope you find out what it is causing it. I will be coloring my hair after I check in here. Been doing it myself for about 20 years now. So fortunate to not have any issues.

Caitlin....I love LBB. Great workout. Love the bonus barre on this one. Gets you good. Must be so hard to leave your 17 year old cat. Sounds like you are doing the right thing though. Bill sounds like a good friend. My hair grows super fast too.

Have a great night all!

I am pretty new to hair coloring. I get trimmed every 6 weeks and had her add some temp 6 week color the last couple years. it worked a lot better than the OTC product for me, and she isn't that expensive so I never tried to do it myself after that. this last time was the first switch to a permanent color. Lori, do you use the same thing as DH? there is one of those "Sally" stores near here, at least there was one a few years ago but I've never been in one. I copied the links you
I adopted the only dog I ever had when he was a 1-2 yo. I think they are grown but still trainable. when they get older, both good and bad behaviors are harder to change. My aunt who passed recently had a lovely well trained dog ( her son had him first) but over a few years she never kept any rules. he became obnoxious and unruly. he was a yellow lab, like chester. so sad to see a good dog go bad. It's one thing to have a 5 lb purse dog do what he wants, but a lot worse when it's a 110 lb lab. he got WAY overweight and she could not control him. he ate everything in sight, including the drapery. I have never seen a greyhound in person. I know a lot are left by the wayside after their racing days are done. puppies are so cute but a lot of work initially.

I took the day off. did yard work. nothing hard. the back muscle issue has resolved. still itchy but maybe less. I need to let this settle... and keep the shampoo suds off my back and reassess after a week or two.

Good morning,

Yesterday we went on a bike ride on the new Rails to Trails path that links the city to the suburbs. We only did 6 miles round trip, but it was lovely. We stopped at our favorite coffee house on the way back. There is a parking lot at the start of if in the city, not far from our house. We are thinking of taking the dogs in the car, park in the lot, then walk them on the trail.

Lori, how great that you and Bob are thinking of getting another dog. Sorry it did not work out the first shelter visit...there are so many shelters and rescue groups that you can look at. Do you have a Lab rescue group in the area? They may have something, or any other breed you may be interested in. Training a puppy is tough, especially if both of you are working. Also local breeders sometimes have dogs that they have had, that may be 6 months to a year old, that they decide not to keep for breeding. A puppy would be great as well, but yes, a lot of work. We had the advantage of John only working 4 days a week, and I always came home for lunch. I even found that Dove soap leaves a film on the tub making it harder to clean. Will post if the cherry juice starts working. Not sure how long I will give it...I am not really happy with the sugar content.

Valerie, washing my hair over the side of the tub, on my knees using the hand held shower head...no water gets on my back at all. I did read the article in the People's Pharmacy and that is what started my investigation into cherry juice. Also, the Nourishing Gurus are big on it...they started Cathe drinking it as well. Montmorency cherries ( which is the juice I have) are supposed to be the ones that are good as an anti-inflammatory...also helps sleep. I got the one I have at Trader Joe's in the juice aisle, not frozen. They have the pure one, and one made from concentrate....I got the regular, straight juice, no additives etc.

Lynda, sorry that the one half of the performance was not as good, but like you said, it gave you a conversation topic for the way home...Greyhounds are great dogs, funny that all the ones I know of are couch potatoes! I guess they like their creature comforts.

Diane Sue, I think Irish Spring is another soap that leaves some type of moisturizer on your skin? That is probably why it clogs drains, like Dove. The Italian Greyhound is different from the ones that they get from the tracks...much smaller and yes, more active.

Caitlin, sorry you have to leave your cat...:(. Does the Gold Bond on your hair interfere with the coloring stuff?

Hi to Judy & Josie,

A workout, maybe a track one with my cousin, then working some in her office. She is pretty far behind with the wake/funeral etc....

Take care,

Today I did Ripped with Hiit Legs, minutes, 224 calories. I then did Lean Legs and Abs mix of chair firewalker, and bonus barre, 35 minutes, 113 calories. I used the band for standing work and pink for floor, I held a 12 # when Cathe used the 8 and I added holding the 8# on my thigh while doing the bonus barre work. I finished off with an older Kelly Coffey that I forgot how much I enjoy, Cardio Kick Stepboxing mix of step horizontal combo 9, 10, and kneeling core using 1 # handweights for the kneeling work. The dvd says 37 minutes for this premix but it was 43 minutes and that was after I skipped the 4.5 minute warm up. I think it was not counting the time of the core work if I remember right.Calories burned for this was 278. Total Time ended up being 2 hours which I had not expected to do, and calories burned 615.
Legs weights
squats 25's 24 reps
plié squats 40# 16 reps
static lunge right 25's 16 reps
static lunge left 25's 16 reps
Squats 30's x 24 reps
plié squats 45# x 16 reps
wood chop side lunge10# 24 reps
explosive side lunge 12# 20 reps
cross back lunges 12's not sure on the reps I think I counted 40 ?
low pulse lunges 20# right then 20# left
Deadlift 30's 16 reps
wide stance deadlift 30's 16 reps

Deb, is that the coffee house that I have the link for purchasing coffee from? We went out for dinner last night. I got some yummy salmon. I had them leave the lemon caper sauce off. I just cannot acquire a taste for capers. If I would have stayed home I was going to cook salmon and use some Paleo Pesto that I just made.
walking lunges 15's

Hi everyone--

This morning I did Sweat 1 with Icy Core 2 (41 min.).

Deb, that is my impression of my friend's greyhound--loves to cuddle with her on the couch and loves going for walks. Maybe she just doesn't want to run anymore. I'm really glad, though, that she was rescued. When we were in Boston this March and it was so beautiful with the weather, we were walking around Boston Common and noticed that almost everyone was walking a greyhound. We asked, and apparently it was some day when all these people with greyhound rescue dogs brought them out. There was a beautiful brindle one named Empress that I had to pet. So sweet! Not a good farm dog though--they are noted for getting lost if separated from their owners. Bad noses?

Lori, I liked Icy Core 2 even though I was not very graceful on the side plank work.

Diane Sue, we have a friend with beagles, and they are constantly taking off following where their noses lead them. A lot of headaches for her. I remember reading a long piece about beagle owners in the NYTimes awhile back that made them sound both thoroughly lovable and thoroughly incorrigible. Strong personalities.

Valerie, I forgot to respond about my hanging baskets. Petunias and I feed them Miracle-grow once a week.

Kim is warning me to get ready for a huge tomato crop. Bring it on!

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to say hi. My mom is still in the hospital and is doing much better, but still not stable enough to be moved.
She will be sent to a long term facility. My poor dad looks so tired and my brother that is supposedly taking care of them has been an ass and thinks that he is in control of everything and leaves my dad out of the loop.

I'm the oldest and will be having a talk with him soon as I can get him away from hovering over my mom. My poor mom fell 3 times under his care and that is why she ended up in the hospital. He also allowed her to eat whatever she wanted and her meds got screwed up while in his care.

I will check in and keep you ladies posted.

Josie

Josie-I'm glad your mom is doing better but I'm sorry that you have to deal with your brother. I hope you can get everything straightened out.

All this dove soap discussion.. I never noticed anything at all relating to drains. I'm going to try kneeling in the shower next . it occurred to me that if diluted bits of hair coloring/ shampoo irritate the skin on my back, they likely will do the same to my face so want to keep it out of the problem...
I can't stand the heavy fragrance some bar soaps have. irish spring was always overly fragrant to me. the dove is unscented. it's as if my sense of smell sharpened with age and perfume-y odors really annoy me now. threw away all the perfumes & shaving lotion. DH uses an unscented shave cream now too. he wanted to try a different one recently, the one Costco carries. used it about 2 times and could not stand the overwhelming scent. the unopened cans went into the donation pile.
Deb, glad you enjoyed the ride. we wanted to ride today but it will need to dry out a little first before we decide. Lots of people here walk their dogs on the trail. it's open to walkers, runners, skateboards, horses. everything non motorized.
Deb report back on whether you notice a difference with the cherry juice. I had an awful night's sleep last night and will be really tired by tonight. I am not a big juice drinker ..too many calories and no chewing.

I thought I posted this earlier, but I must have skipped a step. anyway, we are back from a 25 mile road ride. I think my back is less itchy today. I am trying to be objective.. the itch intensity varied somewhat so I don't want to get overly excited yet but will keep doing what I'm doing. .
I didn't know that about greyhounds. Lynda, I always start the year with fresh miracle grow potting mix but by july they are needing more than what's in the dirt. I will step up the fertilizing. mine don't look anywhere near that good.
our year started our well, but it's been cool and wet for a long time now. we won't do well with tomatoes if it doesn't turn around soon. I like the temps better but the tomatoes and zucchini don't.

Josie hope your mother gets better care. If she was eating whatever she wanted her diabetes was probably out of control. Hope she has better management in the future, whoever ends up doing it.

Last edited:
I am pretty frustrated with Amazon right now. I contacted them because I had been charged two times for my air purifier filters. They said it was just an authorization and should be taken off by the bank. They said I had to call the bank. I call the bank and they said yes, it was taken out two times and I have to come in to a bank and file a dispute?? This is extremely annoying for a $9.42 filter. I e-mailed Amazon back a not so nice letter. So, I guess I have to take the Amazon e-mail copy and my invoice and file a dispute :mad:
Edited to add I just got an email back from Amazon and they apologized and are giving me my money back. Thank goodness because I was getting ready to order more of the Protein Milkshake stuff. My husband and I have been having some every day. For a minute I almost forgot and ordered then remembered that I was mad at Amazon.

Lynda, my daughter's dog gets out but it comes back around to the front door. I don't think that she would ever leave my granddaughter Olivia. Muffin is generally very determined to try everything she can to be by Olivia's side. She has a bit of a jealousy issue over Olivia paying attention to other dogs as well. We found that out when we were watching Muffin and the children. She got in a couple of scuffles with Gertie when Olivia was petting Gertie. It finally ended with Gertie holding Muffin down by the neck. It scared me but Gertie didn't actually hurt her. I think Muffin was sort of shown Gerties dominant side and there was not any more altercations. That is the most aggressive I have ever seen either dog. But, muffin is sweet. She always comes to me and pats me with her paw wanting attention.

Josie, I am glad to hear that your mother is doing better. I am in agreement, sorry that you have to deal with your brother in the midst of things.

Last edited:
Good morning,

Yesterday I walked 2 miles at the track. A club meeting last night, adrenaline high afterwards, results: 2 hours of sleep...ugh...sometimes I wonder why we participate in this club at all.

Diane Sue, great workouts! No, this is a regular coffee house, privately owned ( not a Starbucks etc) that has wonderful coffee, food, and live music in the evenings. It is about 4 blocks from our house. Paleo pesto sounds delicious! I am glad that your dispute with Amazon was handled well by them...I can see how you would automatically order from them, forgetting that you were "mad at them". I would do the same thing...I could not exist without Amazon...would not want to have to stop using it.

Lynda, we have a couple of local greyhound rescue groups here as well. They also have PR things at parks etc to promote the adoption of the dogs that are removed from the race track. I love them, but really want more active dogs, ( I am a glutton for punishment! :)), Yes, Beagles are a challenge in their own way...you cannot fight instincts like they have. We also use Miracle Grow...John has this dispenser that attaches to the hose, so it can be done with regular watering.

Josie, so glad your Mom is doing better....I hope you are able to work out the issues with your brother and your parents care.

Valerie, I will definitely report on the benefits (if any) of the cherry juice. It may be slanted because I once again started taking glucosamine, which I had stopped when I read that it upped your cholesterol number. I found this not to be true. Stopping it did nothing to reduce my number. I find that washing my hair by kneeling outside of the tub and using the hand held sprayer works great, no water /shampoo on my back at all.

Hi to Lori, Judy & Caitlin,

I will definitely be taking a nap today...this is when I am really glad that I retired..

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Sunday I did the bonus step from KCM's Strength & Stamina dvd, then I did Body Beast Build Chest & Triceps and segment 1 of Core Max. The step routine was pretty easy to follow and only about 20 minutes. Yesterday I did a 45 minute Spinerval and Body Beast Build Legs. My Facebook Challenge group is doing a Body Beast rotation that started Sunday and I decided to join in.

Deb-It's good that you got some rain. The ICE core workouts are good, maybe I just need to do them a few more times. Sometimes I find that I if I don't like a particular workout at first, I end up liking after a few times of doing it. I agree about Amazon-I don't think I could live without them!

Lori-It's too bad you didn't find a dog at the shelter but getting a puppy will be fun. I know it will also be a lot of work but I know you will love it.

Valerie-I'm glad your back muscle is better. I use Dove soap too. I try to avoid the soaps with all the strong fragrances.

Diane Sue-Awesome workouts! 2 hours of Cathe & KCM work is pretty impressive!

Lynda-I did some work with a local Greyhound rescue a few years ago and I just fell in love with those dogs! I would loved to have adopted one but they tend to not be so good with cats. Also, we are in a small condo with no yard to speak of so it didn't seem like a good idea.

Hi to Josie & Caitlin!

Judy

I agree on amazon. I sometimes think brick/mortar stores purposely quit carrying anything but the most current thing. I try to support local business but so many times Amazon is the only place that has what I need. especially replacement parts! I used to shop Nordstrom and the mall a lot. I don't bother anymore. loud blaring music and unpleasant stores and everything smells like food or perfume. I don't waste the time or the gasoline and use amazon.
Judy you are spot on about repeating workouts at least a few times before deciding. I didn't like ice metabolic the first time, but I like it just fine after I turned off the music.

I feel like I'm on to something with keeping shampoo & water off my back. I definitely itch less. I made an appt with Dermatology but the first available was mid September. by then I should have it figured out. Deb I know what you mean about the cherry juice.... if you change several things at once, it's not possible to tell which made a difference. I'm wearing the cotton bra, and not doing my hair in the shower. it will be hard to be certain what change helped. I put the cetaphil shampoo on our amazon list for our next order. I think it's most likely one of the hair related chemicals. I was so worried it was spandex because it's gone on for so long. whatever it is, I will be able to avoid it.

Indoor workout today, flex train or ice metabolic I think. will leave rock'em sock em alone for a little longer.

Last edited:
Hi everyone--

This morning I did Live PHA workout (53 min.). This is the one where Cathe forgets to do two of the exercises the first time around, so you end up doing 3.5 sets to make up for it. I had a few hiccups in the streaming, but since I know the workout and how many reps, I just carried on for a few seconds and it came back on.

Josie, that is difficult with your mom and your brother. On the one hand, it is kind of him to offer to be the principal caretaker, but if he is not good at it, it would be better to hire someone who knows what they are doing.

Judy, I thought about adopting a rescue greyhound too, but, unlike you, we have too much space for it to do well. Max is a true farm dog--patrols his grounds, follows Kim on chores, does some animal watching and groundhog hunting. I have a feeling these greyhounds are really companions for their owners, and the more sedentary the better. My friend takes her greyhound out 3-4 times a day but most of the time she is inside while my friend reads, quilts, watches TV.

Deb, I thought you had finally elected some good officers for your dog club. Same old disputes and kvetching?? What a pain.

Diane Sue--glad you solved your problem with Amazon. Usually they are so good about customer service.

Valerie, Kim has a long wait too before he can see a dermatologist. He has lichen planus on his shins and in his youth he had a melanoma, probably from burning to a crisp with no UVA protection--the bad old days with no sunscreen! The dermatologist he is seeing is very highly recommended which is probably why she has such a full schedule.

Off to the Clark to look at nudes from the Prado Museum. Should be interesting to see how representations of (mostly female) nudes from different artists, centuries, and countries compare and contrast. Personally, I like Manet, where she looks you straight in the eye while lying on a sofa--very bold.

Good evening ladies,

Slept in yesterday morning. Just could not get up. Bob had a function to go to last night so I did Ice CLB. This morning was SB Shoulders followed up with her Bis and Tris. This was my only workout. Too busy at work to take a lunch and workout. Our conference is in early October and today I was booking flights and will be doing so for the next couple of days.

Josie...thinking of you. Glad to hear your mom continues to do better. So sorry that you have to deal with your brother. Like you need this right now.

Deb...at first we did not want a puppy at all. But now we are warming up to it. We know it is going to be a lot of work but we are up for the challenge. As much work it is we get so much joy and love back. :). Your bike ride and coffee sounds like a really nice time. I would never continue with those meetings!

Lynda...I am never graceful with side planks. I know exactly what you mean about that workout. Regardless of the mess up I do like it. Scary he had melanoma so young. He uses suncreen now correct? Enjoy Clarks!

Judy...I love following challenges on Facebook and Body Beast is a great one! We have already chosen names for our puppy we are now that excited.

Valerie...that is crazy waiting so long for a dermatologist! Are you a new customer or existing? I go every year for a sceening so when I do have an issue I usually get in pretty quickly. Glad your are itching less.

Diane Sue...I like that premix of LL&A and have done it a few times. I also love combining the firewalker segments from LL&A and Flextrain to top of a workout like I recently did on Sunday. When I was using the desktop workout blender I created a really great workout. That is so unusual for Amazon. I have had nothing but great customer service from them. So glad it eventually worked out.

Hi to Caitlin!

Is anyone planning to buy the new DVD's that go with the Fit Tower? I think I will pass for now. Would have to see some clips on the advanced before I purchase.

Have a great night!!!!

Today I did Kelly Coffey Shape Up, both workouts which included the cardio and the weights in tabata rounds. This is pretty fast paced at times and I used 8's for the lows and 12 and 15's for the heavies. This was 54 minutes, calories burned 321, heart rate avg. 114/ max 153. Most of the time I just do the weights only mix on this which is all upper body. It seems to skip biceps (not that they aren't fatigued) so I did Ice Meltdown biceps, 15 minutes, 76 calories. I started with 20's and soon dropped to 15's. I guess the muscles were not up for an all out workout. The tabata weight rounds are done in 8 rounds and rests I finished off with both Ice Core 1 and 2 and the stretch from Upper body, 29 minutes, 94 calories. I really had a hard time getting much of a calorie burn today. I would look at Cathe's workout manager and my burns ran about half what theirs were. Total time was 98 minutes and calories burned 491. My husband wanted to go to another city for lunch, a 54 minute drive. We got there and the restaurant was closed today. So, we looked around and came home. He had heard that they have great steaks and people go there from all over.

Deb, it is tough when the evening leaves you still revved when you try to sleep. I have done that so many times. I spent a lot of the night trying to sleep myself when something came up and could possibly mean another move. I am just praying about it and trying not to let it bother me yet since it is only a possibility. But, it sure has left me exhausted. I sat a the computer when we returned today and was nodding off and ended up with a headache. I understand not being able to really know if the tart cherry works. When I was using the tart cherry juice regularly I was also using Capraflex for joints, fish oil, and raspberry ketones. Sometimes though I think it is a combination of things that works because I recently tried switching from the Collagen UCII and using collagen peptide powder and I do not think it is working near as well as the other or the Norwegian formula that has glucosamine and fish oil along with anti inflammatory ingredients. So now I am using the collagen powder up and taking one Melaleuca glucosamine tablet without chondroitin to see if that helps. I still do not have as much finger lock up and knee pain as when I take nothing though. I did read recently when checking side affects of using collagen that taking glucosamine and collagen is near the same type of thing and both can cause a build up of calcium if you are taking calcium supplements. So, much information to absorb! Having a coffee house close by would be nice. We have a corner bakery going in around the corner by Sprouts soon. I have been to one once and got an excellent salad and coffee drink there with my grandson.

Judy, that step workout would be about right to go with a Body Beast workout. Do you do the Beast Cardio? I always had a bit of dread for that one.

Valerie, I love using Amazon. It is so easy to get what I want without driving all over hunting for it. It is different for some items though. I actually went to the mall and lucked out getting two pair of jeans for the price of one recently when I shopped for under garments. Those are things I generally would not order from Amazon though. I hope that you get the itching problem figured out before the dermatologist appointment.

Lynda, I remember that workout. Cathe is funny when she takes you back through to try to get it right. That is good that you know it well enough to keep going when the streaming is not working well. I guess I am lucky because my daughter will work me in when I want to come into her office or has taken care of a cyst and a skin cancer during her lunch hour. One time she had me meet her at her office when they were closed and died a scraping of a rash I had for a long time. Just to make sure it wasn't scabies or something. I hope your day was enjoyable.

Lorie, side planks can sometimes be uncomfortable with pressure on the knee. I can do them but not like I used to be able to and I cannot for the life of me hold the top leg up when they do that. I fall over. I have not done Flex Train enough to remember the firewalker exercises. I should check it out. The workout blender would be a nice way to put together some great workouts without so much work. You have to have the workouts in digital copies right? I only have Ripped with Hiit in the downloads. I think somehow I missed getting a couple of them downloaded though.

I just ordered Ice Lower Body and was looking at the guidebook. I noticed it does not actually have a workout card. I also thought it was odd when I was printing up workout cards that the meltdown shoulders is on two different cards but the same moves. I think I will want to use heavier weights than what it looks like on the lower body page of exercises. Maybe it is harder than it looks.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.