Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/22

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, Judy, and Stephie--

This morning I did ch, sh, tris with abs 1 (47:58).

Lori, I will ask my FIL about his films. I know he has some of my sons when they were little and we went to their house for Christmas. That's great that you can put together your own workouts to fit your preferences. There is always something on a workout I don't like, so I modify or substitute something else.

Valerie, I wonder about liability too. If you change the surface I suspect Kohler couldn't be sued because it's not their product anymore. I think we have 5 levels on our fan, and when I stir-fry, like I said, it's like a cyclone turned all the way up.

Judy, same here. Yesterday felt like January. According to our weather people, the last time we hit 50 degrees was December 27. We are supposed to hit 50 this Thursday. I won't hold my breath. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to be facing the water shortages in California. They showed pictures of the reservoirs in 2011 and now, and it was really frightening.

Josie, I'm sure it was emotionally draining.

Hi to Deb and Stephie!

Lynda, there are more powerful fans available designed to be used over gas stoves... more professional grade stoves that generate more heat and may have a grill top feature. we got a "standard" sort of exhaust fan suitable for an electric cooktop. gas is pretty uncommon here. that is what I was thinking about the shower surface. if you add a mat, decals or like us, spray down texture, then it probably relieves them of liability. I guess most tubs are pretty slippery too.

we watched a movie I liked yesterday called The Way Way Back. Toni Colette, Steve carell, Amanda peet, Allison janney, sam Rockwell. a coming of age movie for a teenage boy dealing with his mothers' dating a low key jerk who cheats on her besides. pleasant. enjoyed it. never heard much of it but I put it on the queue a long time ago based on the actors in it. Looking at Netflix many of the academy award movies are available now, no wait list. I put whiplash, birdman, and the theory of everything on my queue at the top. apparently none were too popular even with renters.

did a mt bike today. only maybe 1 hr 15. it was extremely muddy and yucky to ride. I kept slipping on rocks and roots and had to walk a lot of sections. just could not get traction going up or down. a lovely spring day otherwise, but must have rained loads in this area.

Last edited:
Valerie-yes, I've seen those fat tire bikes around here. It looks like they can ride through anything. We also have a place that rents them and have been thinking about trying one out.

Good evening ladies!

Been keeping up with SB Spring challenge. I like this rotation as they are about 30 minutes each day so they are a great morning workout. They are not always lower body barre either. Any given day will be lower, or all core or all upper. I now have everyone hooked on barre at work so they no longer want to do the Leslie walking videos. Yesterday we did boot camp barre and today I pulled a video from YouTube that was 30 minutes of a resistance band. Turning out to be lots of fun.

Josie....certainly understand the emotional exhaustion. So nice that you found those pictures. To me they are treasures.

Judy...I know exactly how your DH felt about seeing the videos for the first time. It was so overwhelming for me when I saw my parents wedding or the first time I saw my dad in color! I was a basketcase! So many emotions all at once. Don't blame him not not mailing them out. No way was that an option for me! The tapes I converted were not reel tapes they were the little 8mm cassetts that were popular in the early to mid 90's. One of my aunts has a ton of reel tapes and I may purchase a machine to convert for her. Would absolutely love to see what she has on those tapes. I have been on eBay checking them out. Good job on the indoor ride!

Valerie...I love technology. Wasn't always that way though. Interesting about your thought with the shower. Really surprised at Kohler for allowing this.

Deb...that is why I feel so blessed especially since my Dad passed when I was so young. I had no idea how he moved, smiled or even how red his hair was. They are truly a treasure. Do your doggies like you being home more? :)

Lynda....I do all my editing and creativity using my IPad! Love my apple products. I know your son likes to hear things like this!

Hi to Steph! Great workout. What do you do for work that you are up so early?

Have a great night all.

Good morning & Happy Hump Day!

Today I am going shopping with my niice and SIL to get fabric for a class quilt that my niece wants "us" to make for her son's school bazaar. My SIL and I will be busy sewing afterwards. LOL.

Judy, so great that your DH did that for his family. I saw over at MFP that you like the KCM Ab/Core DVD. I just pre-ordered her pyramid weight one. Not that I need any more workouts. :)

Valerie, those bikes sound interesting, and fun. I agree though, maybe renting them first to see if you like them. We don't have an exhaust fan in our kitchen, no where to vent it out. the only thing we have is the one that came under the microwave, which is above the stove. I don't even know if there is a way to remove it or clean it. We do not fry too much, I turn it on when anything is boiling on the stove to suck in the steam.

Lynda, we are supposed to see 50 degrees here tomorrow, like you, "I'll believe it when I see it". How is Max doing with any new additions to the farm? Is it baby chick time yet? We have a new farm store outlet that John went to the other day. We got eggs and some of their yogurt. On the yogurt bottle ( yes it is in a glass bottle!) it gives the date the cow was milked. The eggs were delicious. I am thinking that we will get these for eating, and use store ones for baking/cooking.

Lori, I think what you are doing for the ladies at work is so great! They are getting free personal training! I wish you lived closer so I could get some real tech help when needed! You certainly would be better than any of the online services or Best Buy! The dogs are getting spoiled, or should I say, more spoiled? :)

Hi to Josie, and Stephie,

Take care,

I agree with Judy, looks good... anyone else remember when milk came in glass bottles? occasionally in winter it would freeze in the "milk chute" and expand up and pop off the paper cap with a column of frozen milk going up out of the bottle. probably made quite a mess sometimes but I was too little to know.

those big tire bikes are still quite expensive and seem of limited use. rental sounds like the best plan unless you live on a beach and could use one all the time. we've done a lot of beach walking. you'd still need to be careful where you rode one.

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did After Burn (54:00).

Deb, I love eggs from local free-range hens. So much flavor compared to the eggs in the supermarket. Chicks are coming next week some time. DH will have to start them off in his big barn because his brooder is still sitting in snow and, obviously, it is still pretty cold. There was an article in MORE last month about antibiotic resistant "superbugs" in our meat--especially chickens--supply and UTIs. Apparently "organic" isn't good enough anymore. Instead look for the NAE (no antibiotics ever) label, which DH gets. Part of the article was also speculating that antibiotics were related to the obesity epidemic as well, because they definitely allow animals to grow bigger faster. Sounds like you are enjoying your retirement and getting back to a craft you formerly enjoyed.

Lori, it turns out that FIL took his 8 mm films to Walmart and had them put on a disk some time ago. I will have to ask if I can take a look at them when he returns from Florida. That's great what you are doing for your co-workers.

I definitely remember milk in bottles with the cream sitting on top. I saw big tire wheelchairs for rental at the Jersey shore, but I never saw any bikes. It seemed a great way to get someone disabled down to the beach.

Hi to Josie and Stephie!

Good evening ladies....

Ran on TM this morning and that was my only workout for the day. Was too busy to take a lunch and needed to work thru. :(

Valerie...wow those are some tires. I bet it must be beautiful to ride one on the beach. Can't wait to here about it when you do go. I remember getting our milk delivered and having the milk box out by the door. Wow have't thought of that in years!

Deb...my little Nilla is such a diva. Today I made her fresh chicken and carrots...she smelt it and just looked at me. Then I picked a little bit up to feed her and she gobbled it down. I said to her...really now you want me to hand feed you??? And of course I did and she ate it all and I loved it. :). The yogurt looks really good!

Lynda...there is a little farm close to where I work that always has a sign for fresh eggs and I have been meaning to try them out. One of these days I'll get there. Great that your FIL converted his tapes. Will be fun to take a peek at them. Was 50 degrees here today when I was driving home from work. Still a ton of snow here. And I am still straddling the walkway.

Hi to Judy, Josie and Stephie!

Good morning,

I started the quilt yesterday, cut out all the pieces for the top. I have the ones back to my niece that the kids are all going to sign. She will get that done and bring them back so I can start putting the top together. I am glad that she asked me to help with this, it made me get back into it. Also, to clean up the room where all my supplies are, since they were buried under all kinds of "stuff".

Valerie, I also remember when milk came in glass bottles. If you lived in an apartment, like we did at that time, we had a milk box, that the milkman put the milk in, and we put the empty bottles in for them to use again. We have a "milk door" in our back hall now, that we had to nail shut for security reasons, sad but true. No one would have ever thought to get into a house through the milk door back then, but now you have to always be thinking of that stuff. Those bikes look like fun!

Lynda, thanks for the tip on NAE. I will have to see if they have that on this place John went to.....They use recycled egg cartons, if you bring your own, they reduce the price by 50 cents a dozen. The eggs are just there and you pick out your own. Like we have said here in the past, antibiotics are causing so many problems health wise now. So great that your FIL thought to do that with his films.

Lori, the little Diva is spoiled that's for sure! I should talk right?

Hi to Josie, Stephie, and Judy,

House Organization Max continues!

Our milk came inside thru a small box that opened to the outside. we called it the milk chute. it was a possible way to get inside if you were very small. I remember as a kid being slid thru the chute to open the door for a neighbor who locked himself out. nowadays, yes, I'd nail it shut. try to imagine someone driving around in a truck delivering milk these days!

went shopping briefly at REI yesterday. wow the new stuff .... clothes and so on ....look fabulous. so light and stretchy. and colorful. I needed new light weight gaiters. I always try them on because sometimes they're very narrow in the calf. I read reviews online and a number of people said they were narrow. for some crazy reason, I had no problems. instead of a unisex large like my last ones, I fit into a womens medium. I don't get them until my birthday though. If I'd had more time, I'd have tried on a bunch of stuff. DH is NO shopper.

we found a service to redo our jetted tub, so the last bit of pink will be gone from the bathroom. we will go with a bone color rather than try for pure white. the current color is very pale but definitely "pink" looking when up against the new off white tile. we thought it would not be noticeable but it is.

This morning I did the total body premix on LIC (low impact circuit):47 min. I was surprised at how difficult this was, even though Cathe uses only a 20 lb. barbell, 5 lb. weights, and a medium resistance band. I previewed it and thought, "oh, this will be my light day on weights." Nope--I definitely felt it.

Valerie, I don't even know what REI is--a sporting goods store? My DH is only a serious shopper if he is buying something for the farm. He just bought a 'new' trailer for the pigs, which means it's pretty old, but still in decent shape. The only new thing he bought recently is his walk-in freezer, and boy was that a project.

Lori, Nilla sounds hilarious and very, very spoiled. My dad died when I was 2, so I don't remember him at all. I like looking at old photos of him. My two older sisters would tell me stories about him, but they died too, so I really don't have much except the photos--all in b/w.

Deb, the quilt project sounds like fun. My sewing room is a mess. I really need to do some major "weeding" of old patterns, remnants I will never use, and even some fabrics I don't want anymore.

It is a very well known outdoor & sporting goods store. (not motorized or hunting connected). recreation equipment coop. climbing, backpacking, hiking, kayaking, biking, fitness. it is a national retailer now.... not sure what kind of presence they have in the northeast. Our Sec of the Interior sally jewel came from REI management. It is a coop and I've been a member for > 40 years now. I used to shop at it when it was in an old warehouse in downtown seattle.... just like Starbucks, they have grown. I used to go to the original starbucks too, in the Pike Place market. hard to believe how they've grown.

I envy those who can sew. I do what's necessary but I don't like it. I have a new machine that works well now, but mostly use it for repairs, no major projects like a quilt.
Did a 25 mile road ride this morning and will go to therapy later today.
Nilla does sound like a pampered darling!.

Good evening ladies!

At lunch we did a lower body barre and then some floor work. Tonight I did some Treadmill Tabatas again.

Deb...I would love to have learned to quilt. I friend of mine makes beautiful quilts. Glad you are enjoying yourself! Yes I agree very sad that we have to nail shut everything.

Valerie...we have a couple REI around somewhere as I remember seeing one. Never have been in one though. Athletic clothing can be so expensive! Great that you are able to redo your tub rather than buying a new and going thru all the removal and installation!

Lynda...I forgot your Dad also died when you were young. I grew up the same way always looking at black and white pictures. These movies have been wonderful for my family. Funny how men become wonderful shoppers when it is something they want!

My little Nilla is really a cute chihuahua. She has quite the personality and a little love bug too. I wake up every morning with her nestled up close to me. Sometimes her spine is against mine with her head on the pillow like a little person. Very sweet. :)

Have a great night all!

Good morning & Happy Friday!

It actually snowed yesterday! The flurries were so big and thick you couldn't see. It was the kind that sticks to your hair and coat etc. The good thing was that by evening, it all was gone. Very strange. I am so ready for spring.

Valerie, so this tub is free standing? it's in the bathroom that you just did all the work on? You are replacing or just changing the color somehow? I have been in REI when we were visiting John's parents in Ca. Nice store.

Lynda, LIC has step in it right? or am I thinking of something else? My sewing room is a mess too. Lots of unfinished projects, fabric of all kinds etc. There are bags of fabric with some cryptic notes that I have no idea what I was planning to do. LOL I also have all kinds of yarn that I had started projects with and never finished. I think I am going to donate that to the auction for the April agility trial. Not sure how to pack it though to put in a basket auction.

Lori, what are Treadmill Tabatas? I can just picture little Nilla with her head on a pillow nestled up close, so sweet! Now what about Chester? does he get to cuddle in bed too? LOL.

Hi to Josie & Judy,

Organizing, and agility class tonight,

Anyone have any fun plans for the weekend?

Take care,

Deb, it's a tiled-in Jacuzzi not free standing. we use it but not often. getting rid of it would be an expensive proposition and not sure what we'd fill the space with. filling it drains the hot water tank. the water doesn't stay warm, so time is limited to 15 min. we have an outdoor hot tub we use more. we are getting the acrylic surface refinished. it is a very pale slightly pink color that we thought would look neutral as we got all the other pink things out of the room. but...still looks pink! it will cost somewhere around $500 to get it refinished but that is way less than any other alternative.

REI .... I have spent a LOT of money over the years. boots, jackets, tents, stoves.... every year things get better and lighter.... plus the old stuff wears out. most of their clothing is along the lines of Athleta, Title 9... but usually wider size ranges, for men and women, and a little more travel & hiking oriented. they have a much wider product line, with clothing a small part of their business. also bikes, kayaks, car racks, skis, books, tents, backpacks, maps, electronics. they don't cater to the hunting crowd which is fine with me. no guns or ORV stuff.

we were going to hike today but DH and I didn't get along well. He is so abrasive and impatient in the morning. we were out the door before 7 this morning but he forgot something and it ended up being my fault. by the time we got home, I didn't want to go. so he is outside sawing wood and I'm ignoring him.

Hi Ladies,

I worked out with Karina on Tuesday and Thursday and spinning on Wednesday and today. My BF told me that I look thin :). All the hard work is finally showing.

My DH is leaving Sunday on a cross country trip that is going to take six weeks. This is one of the things that he has always wanted to do since he was a kid. I plan to meet him in NY the end of April so that we can hang out and visit friends and family.

Lori, Nila sounds so adorable!

Deb, I had a friend that made the most amazing quilts. I still plan on taking sewing classes, but not until July.

Valerie and Garance, we have REI's everywhere here. I hate going there and usually order on line, it reminds me of Home Depot ;). I get a lot of my workout clothes at Ross, TJ Maxx, Old Navy and Forever 21.

Hi to Judy!

Josie

Last edited:

This morning I did All Out Low Impact Hiit with core 1 (49:22).

Yes, Deb, LIC is a step circuit workout. The total body sculpting premix uses the step only as a warm up. When I first bought it, I used only the step part of the workout for cardio--about 47 min. too. Rather like Low Max because there were little blasts at the end of each step routine.

Lori, no dogs in bed here. Max is way too big for that, and he's usually not exactly tidy after his days out on the farm. I don't think I would want to sleep with a dog, even a small one. Reminds me too much of my oldest son, who would crawl into bed with us every night when he was a toddler. It was like sleeping with a washing machine.

Valerie, no REI around here. But we do have Eastern Mountain Sports and Cabela's, which might be a bit similar. DH gets his headlamps from EMS.

Josie, good work!

This weekend I am going to the Williams College Museum of Art to look at their Warhol exhibition. Should be fun. We will be going out to dinner for Comfort Sunday again because the meal features DH's pork/

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.