Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/18

Today my husband and I will be making pies and deviled eggs. We prefer the eggs without tons of mayonnaise so always make some ourselves. I made some with avocado and bacon before that were tasty.
I went through the premixes in the Strong and Sweaty guidebook and was pleased that there were some great looking lower body and upper body split mixes. That will be helpful when I return to weights. I have read so much online for recovery. There is a varied view with surgeons though. Each individual is different. I am being extra careful though because I had some repair work and some silicone cleared. I don't want any problems. I would like to get back to the cooking and cleaning. My husband won't let me do much. Yesterday I went upstairs and rolled my knee with my yoga tune up balls using yoga tune up and finally went up later and did some stretching. That helped immensely. I think sitting around has made things stiff. Also I think that I am using my legs a lot to get up and down trying to avoid using my arms to push off. Instead of bending over, which they said not to do, I have been squatting down to the floor and back up. Maybe I will have even stronger legs :)

Diane Sue, my family is the same. everyone has a special dish or dessert that they look for on the holiday table. I am making a German chocolate cake right now since that is my husband's favorite. I only make it for holidays these days and he really looks forward to it. The lower body stretching is probably a good idea.

I did Hard Strikes last night. 45 min. I got crunched for time. Not sure I ever did that one before, just loaded and did it without any preview. It has a lot of jacks..... and for me, "fancy" footwork. that shuffle thing escapes me, one reason I've shied away from boxing ones. I do fine with kicks. no jump kicks yet. I can do them, one side easier than the other. after another time or two, will try for more.
she goes so fast, transitions have no warning. if you blink, you miss the next move. toward the end she does the 5 sit up/ 5 pushup series. I can do, but not at the speed they do. DH has some boxing gloves so I wore those. they aren't weighted but are big and stay in place. for a long time I tried to match cathe's weights but I am going lighter consistently now. especially on "new to me" workouts. less dread factor and my form is better if I use 5's the first times, and move up later. my speed is better too. I was trying to go heavier and pause the workout so going "lighter and speedier" is what I'm going to try from now on.
Judy, I feel mentally "pushed" to match cathe's weight level. many times I can. I've enjoyed the metabolic workouts more and am speedier if I drop down a little. I worry less about getting hurt. instead of automatically grabbing what she uses, I drop from 10 to 8, or 8 to 5. I think I get a better workout. I haven't even had a twinge in my shoulder for a long time now and the strength has come back. Very happy with that but also do not want to revisit a shoulder injury because I'm careless.

Sometimes I think that with the range of different electronics out in the world, old, new, dozens of brands, it's amazing anything is compatible. We open things very carefully always expecting we may need to return.

Carolyn, my husband's favorite is lemon pie for holidays and German Chocolate cake on his birthday and father's day. I make the german chocolate cake and icing from scratch. He would have German Chocolate cake for everyone else birthdays if he could convince them.

Valerie, it is best to be careful. That is nice that you are getting some strength back. Last time I did Hard Strikes I did the sit ups and flipped over and did mountain climbers. I didn't want to do the push ups because of the shoulders and neck area. THey have made the fronts of my shoulders hurt. I sometimes use my Everlast 12oz gloves and other times I just use the combat leather gloves that I got from a martial arts studio. I got those to use for Les Mills Combat and like that the palm is open and my fingers are out where I can use them to pause and restart etc.. The fingers are padded over the knuckles though. I often feel the need to do the weight the instructor does or better. I am getting better about backing off where needed and reminding myself of how the injuries fell and cause setbacks.

I LOVE german chocolate cake. I used to make it long long ago, from scratch. Haven't had any in I don't know how long now.

I had good luck with a few small problems with WW this morning, using the chat service. I haven't arranged the initial consult yet. I am not having that many problems so far. lost 1.8. one thing that happened is my "old" weight from last year showed up as my initial weight and I didn't know how to change it. .

I made 3 pies and dog cookies for Gertie. I made one of hers into a bell shape then decided that was too much work and cut the rest into squares. I am sure she will appreciate it though. Ha! I signed up for a Dr Axe Webinar at 7 central time. I would have done it tomorrow but I was not sure I would be home at the times they were airing it. I wonder why he chose Christmas Eve and Christmas day for this. This one is for Gut health, adrenals, and thyroid. I thought it would be interesting.

Valerie, I tend to want to eat the icing off of German chocolate cake. It is only good if it is from scratch. I hope you can get weight watchers figured out. I always forget to update my weight and stats. I did finally do it recently on My Fitness Pal and Fit Bit.

Hi Everyone,

I did S & S Total Body Giant Sets today. I went as heavy as I felt I could and was only able to match Cathe's weight on a couple of exercises. I really enjoyed this workout and am looking forward to trying some of the premixes. Overall, it had a little more leg work than upper body, but still a great total body workout.
I think that I will be starting the 30 day S & S Rotation on Jan 1.

Deb-Renew Life is sold in most health food stores and online. I've only tried a few of their products and they seem pretty good. The GI Revive formula sounds pretty good too.

Valerie-Great workout! I'm glad that you are getting your strength back. Cathe's weights are very challenging. I have some work to do. I have to be careful with my shoulder too. I generally stick with 4's and 5's for lateral, front, and rear raises. Occasionally I will go up to 8, but only for a few reps.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

Good morning,

I hope you all had a wonderful day yesterday.

I have to return a gift that I got for John, otherwise the day is free.

Take care,

Merry Christmas everyone!

Josie.... stop back in and chat sometime! good to hear from you.

we are off to do a fast walk in a park before the weather goes south this afternoon. glad we don't have any long distance travel right now. pretty messy in a lot of places.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
Today I did IMAX 2, intervals 1-5 and Ab Circuits Yoga based abs. I am going to stay with the December rotation until I can preview the new workouts.

We had a great Christmas and now I am trying to get back on track with my activity.

Josie, it was good to hear from you. I hope you are doing well.

Waves to everyone.

Today I used Yoga Tune Up Upper body using the Neck segments. I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow and am hoping they okay me sleeping in the bed instead of upright I the recliner . I am also hoping to get rid of these post surgery bras even though the papers say where them for a month. I have a really read itchy rash around the band and upper back area where it touches me. I think the edging is the culprit. It is driving me crazy. I am also hoping for the go ahead to start doing some cardio and household things. It is difficult to sit back and let someone else do tasks. I feel I have done well though staying out of things. We had a wonderful Christmas. Played some games and stuff. I love it when we play Cranium. I had tears when my grandchildren gave me a card and funds to get the piano that was my mothers tuned fixed. It so out of tune from multiple moves. It was my mothers.

Josie, so nice to have you pop in. Please come back and post more !!

Deb, my granddaughter asked me if I wanted to go to the mall to return a shirt today and I declined. I would thing stores will be busy with after Christmas sales and returns. I plan on hitting a grocery store tomorrow for a few things like paper goods but will stay away from the rest. Hopefully your return is easy.

Good evening ladies!

No workout yesterday. I did S&S Bootcamp on Saturday. My legs were still really tired from the previous days barre workout so needed to pass on the cardio slam. I liked using my 20 body bar for this. Worked out well. Still can not put on my shoulders though. I tried but was uncomfortable so stuck with dumbbells for that move. I also did not mind the one with lateral move then shoulder press using the step. It flowed fine for me. I forgot my apple watch so was not able to record HR and calories. :(. My son and his GF are staying over so they have taking over the basement which means my workout area is out of commission. My son brought up my jumpsport, some bands and light weights. Really wanted to do a S&S but they will need to wait. :(. This morning I did SB new bounce and barre she posted yesterday along with her most recent bounce and barre. Then it was power jump to finish things off. Was about 60 minutes total. It was nice to have the barre intervals to break things up a bit.

My son asked this weeked if he can move back after he finishes school instead of staying with his dad. He only needs one more class then he is done so this will happen soon. Bob and I of course would love him back but I can not lose my workout space. So we came up with a plan to build a wall to split the basement. My space will be significantly smaller but I will make due. Will be nice to have him home.

We had a very nice Christmas. So very different this year with my husband being home. He left work on thursday and did not need to be back until tomorrow. I was off today so it was nice. We still pinch ourselves.

Carolyn...Imax 2 is my favorite out of the 3. The music in that one is so much fun. I never cared for Imax 3. The first time I did Imax 1 when it first came out it I thought it was the hardest workout I had ever done!

Valerie...hope you enjoyed your walk. Christmas eve the roads were really icy. We spun out going to Chelsie 's parents. Almost turned around. We decided to move ahead but took a different rout instead of the dark country roads.

Josie...so nice to hear from you! Hope you are having a wonderful holoday season!

Judy...your kittes are so cute! When my son moves back he will be bringing his cat so we will now have 2 dogs and 3 cats!!! Good to know Giant Sets are heavy on the legs. Did you but gift for your kitties? We always do for out pets. :)

Diane Sue...cute you made gertie cookies. Bell or squares...eaither way I know she loved them!

Deb...I have one item I will need to exhange for Bob so that is good. No rush for me to do this. I can only imagine what the stores will be like this week!

Have a great night all.

Hi Everyone,

We had a very quiet Christmas. I did a time saver premix of S & S Cardio Slam. That was great! I am definitely starting the 30 day all S & S rotation on Jan. 2nd. I love S & S so far.

We are going to paint our living room and pick out new furniture this week. It will be nice to change things a little.

Josie-so nice to hear from you! Hope to hear from you again soon!

Lori-yes, we got a couple of toys and some new treats for the kitties :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.