Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/18

Good Morning,
Today will be a rest day for me with no workout planned. I previewed the Strong and Sweaty dvds and looking forward to trying them all. I agree that Cardio Slam looks difficult even with modifications. I am going to look at the manual again and decide on a rotation. My calendar arrived on Tuesday and there is also a SS rotation in it.

Valerie, Basic Step was packaged with my step when I purchased it, but that was in 2009. I originally learned step in classes at my gym, but had not done it for 9 years. I had to start again, but found it easy to get the basics and I am not a dancer. Another DVD that was very helpful is Everybody Steps by Gin Miller. It starts with slow basic moves and walks you through each. She provides longer routines that can be used as you become more confident. I no longer have the DVD because I gave it to a friend who wanted to learn step. I checked and Amazon has Everybody Steps. I think you might like it because she starts from the very beginning with no assumptions about ability levels.

Deb, watching Suits and lunch was a nice way to spend the day. I think Bootcamp looks like a lot of weight work but, it still would get the heartrate up during the strength segments. It does an upper, lower, compound , and cardio segment then moves on to the next weight cardio combo. The no upper premix is lower, compound, cardio. She does show some modifiers for some of the impact during the workout. No box though. One of the modifiers was step up step down instead of the box jumping.

My legs are sore from the spin bike yesterday and I woke with my low back axhing. I need to do some yoga tune up work and stretching.

Hi Everyone,

Tuesday I did KCM Plateau Buster, both workouts, then 10 minutes of Ab Hits & the 100 rep tricep challenge from XTrain. Yesterday I did Pure Strength Strong Legs & Abs. We ordered a new sofa and lamps and picked out the paint for the living room.

Deb-yes, I am starting the All Strong & Sweaty rotation on Jan 2nd. I am the same way with the step workouts, if I can't do what they are doing, I just go up and down on the step. I've never done any of the harder Cathe step workouts yet.

Diane-That's great that you did the S & S cycle workout. I will be doing that one next week. I bet the yoga tune up work will help your low back.

Lori-I stick with 1 riser under the step now too. I think I did go up to 3, back in the late 80's, early 90's when I did step classes at a gym. I can remember getting my heart rate up to 180 doing step back then.

Carolyn- I have a Gin Miller step workout from 1992. That's the kind of step workouts I used to do at the gym. Very easy to follow, not as complicated as Cathe's step workouts.

Valerie-I agree with Carolyn about Gin Miller step workouts. If I was going to get back into doing step regularly, I would start with these.

I don't want to learn step enough to buy anything special for it. a disk came with the step, the freestyle step. I'll look at that first. I will go back over the LIS workout and mark the chapters that were too complicated, and sub something simpler. some moves were fine. I also have the slow down feature my dvd player that goes to 0.8 speed. I will drop it to one riser too. I will need a modifiers for some things. I mostly wanted the step for the less "dance-y" moves cathe has been using a step for. those were fine even with 2 risers. diane sue, I also was catching my toe on the mat on some of those floor moves where cathe skirts around the edge of it.

I think I'll do the new cycle one today. I'm not a fan of the up /down hovers or jumps. I prefer to get up and stay up. I can't keep my shorts arranged right!

I had a flat tire yesterday when I thought I was heading out for shopping. we aired it up and it held well enough to go to the local Les Schwab and get it fixed. a nail. messed up my afternoon. so shopping later today instead.

Good evening ladies...

I worked from home today. We are having a snow storm and will receive about a foot of snow. Made no sense for me to drive in. There is no snow where I work! Crazy that I only live 50 minutes away. You would think I was hours and hours!

This morning I did a Ubound workout I found on youtube the other day. There were a few so I strung them together for a 45 minute workout. Was crazy jumping like the Power Jumps. Loved them. Below is a link to one of them. It is in another language but they have English sub overs which is great. If you fast forward to about 2:25 I swear she is on crack! Absolutely loved it!!! Will be doing these again.

Valerie...years ago I started step with Gin Miller. I rember doing a couple of Reebok ones. One was very futuristic if I remember. Like you I have no desire to do to step workouts. I don't mind when they are used in bootcamp workouts or drills. But no desire to do a fancy choreographed one. Bless those that can do these!!! Flat tires stink!!! Do you have Triple A? I would never be without it.

Judy..love that you are enjoying the PS Legs! So much fun picking out furniture and painting. The room will be so new and fresh when done. Exciting! That is insane we used 3 risers.

Diane Sue...hope your back is feeling better. You will be back on track with your eating in no time. I would not worry if a couple of pounds have creeped on. When I had my surgery and then received the approval to workout I bounced right back and you will too.

Carolyn...I need to decide on a rotation too. Waiting to see what SB is doing then I will decide. Hoping to do a combination of SB/S&S/Bouncing. SB is coming out with a Barre Amped Bounce workout that I can not wait for. I will be buying that workout the second it releases.

Deb...I really need to check out Suits. For xmas we bought eachother Soap, All in the Family and The Mary Tyler Moore Show. We have a lot of dvd watching to do. Will be fun. We are going to start with Soap first.

Have a great night all!

Last edited:
Lori I've never seen one of those in action... what a riot..!! ooo I can see me getting my foot stuck between the rim and the bounce surface... is that possible? diane sue, I agree with Lori... even if you gained a few pounds, it will drop off as soon as you get back into your workouts. just don't do anything too quickly and set back your recovery.
judy, I remember Gin miller... but I have always been uninterested in actual step workouts. there was Kathy Smith too, I think. I think I bought one of hers, not realizing just how bad I would be at it. .. maybe it was a videotape.. I threw it away! I don't think I will be doing things with more than 2 risers unless it's setting up like a bench.

No AAA. this flat was in our garage...there was a nail in the tire. DH can change a flat FAST. his father owned a service station & he worked there. Les Schwab is a chain of tire stores all over the west.... I don't think it's national. usually when we get a flat... it's in some obscure place .... we'd never get anyone to show up. we need to be able to do it ourselves. I'm reasonably adept at changing a tire, but DH puts me to shame. we stick on the spare and take the tire to a les schwab where they fix it usually free, and remount the tire.

This morning I did Lean Legs and abs premix chair/firewalker + bonus barre , 35 minutes, 89 calories. Even with this I have to be careful of any overhead movement in the warm up and not to clutch the chair. Afterward I used my Yoga Tune Up therapy balls and did some of knee hab along with using the balls for my back and shoulders. Things are feeling much better now. I was feeling fatigued? today so there has been a lot of sitting around.

Carolyn, I used to have Step Reebok with Gin Miller and loved doing it. I had purchased the Basic Step workout along with a couple of others that incorporated the high step around the same time. I already had a Step. I see it is in the shop Cathe area.

Judy, it will be fun when your new furnishings arrive. I have more room in the living room with our leather sofa sleeper we purchased in November. We had a pit group that took up a lot of room and I felt the cup holder arm rest was a waste and took up extra space that was not necessary. I use one riser most of the time for step workouts now. Once in awhile I go to two if they are using two. On the Ripped With Hiit Plyo with the step I have taken it down to just the step with no risers It is too hard jumping over the step with risers on it. Even then sometimes I am slower and doing it more at an angle.

Valerie, I do not blame you for not wanting to purchase any step workouts. I think some of the workouts that are more of a lower weight circuit with the step might be a bit less fancy footwork. The workouts that I have the hardest time with are Amy Bento and Tracey Staehle, but once I learn the moves I am good. Cathe sometimes changes up her moves a bit and I have to learn the adjustments so that I end up in the right place. I just had to deal with a screw in one of my tires. It was a problem because it was in the outer edge of the tire and my husband took it to 3 places the day I had surgery. They all said that we needed a new tire. Finally he took it to Hibdons and they said the had to order the tire because my husband wanted a Goodyear just like what was on it. He also told them he wanted the tire because he would fix it so we had a spare since my Spark does not have a spare. When he went back to pick up the car the day they said they had the tire, they somehow lost the tire??? Then when he has them put the other tire back on, they had taken out the screw. It was almost flat by the time he got it home. He was pretty mad to say the least. He took the tire off and took it to Discount tire and they had to order a tire. Said it would be in the next day and it wasn't. It took 4 days to get the tire in. My husband put it on himself. I have had to replace and repair more tires from driving in the area where my youngest daughter lives and we had lived at one time. They are building there all of the time and I guess they do not get everything cleaned up. In fact right now they are putting a house right next to my daughter. So, I am sure that is where it probably came from. Funny about not keeping the shorts arranged. I like the standing work. I did the extended ride once while at my daughters with Pedal Power and I wore blisters from the seat. Not good!! I ordered a gel seat cover which has helped immensely. I would have never thought I would get blisters and rub the skin off.

Lorie, that workout looks like fun. Wow, on how fast they are jumping. It makes me want to jump but I would probably bounce the girls right out of their pockets right now. I was checking out Amazon for the URX-MT workouts and saw another workout set on there. I was surprised to see the URX MT there because generally you can hardly find a complete set anymore. The reviews were bad on the quality though. I had someone asking me about them. Also a couple of years ago I was helping a friend find some of them and it seems they are mostly just one or two here and there. I know I need to be patient and in a few months I will be back to normal and it will not make a bit of difference. The doctor's assistant told me to stay off of the scale. She said I will be holding fluid for a month or so. The bruising is gradually moving down to around my hips. I have not stood on the scale since surgery. I am afraid to. I just know my jeans seem tighter even down around my knees.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday, not a good day.

Carolyn, a rest day is good. I didn't know there was an SS rotation in the calendar. I need to go look at that. Is it the same as the one in the manual?

Diane Sue, thanks for the details of the Bootcamp workout. It sounds like the No Upper premix would be a good lower body workout. Sorry your low back was affected by the spin workout. Agree with all....the weight is not important right now...only your recovery.

Judy, that's great that you got the new sofa and lamps. :). When will you start painting?

Valerie, I keep forgetting to see if my DVD player has that slow down feature...I could have used it for Cardio Slam. She goes pretty fast on that one...but I guess that would defeat the purpose. :). I also had a tire problem the other day...that little light that looks like a horseshoe came on to indicate there is a tire problem. I think I have a slow leak in one of my tires, this is the 2nd time in a couple of weeks that it has gone on. You were lucky that the flat was in the garage.

Lori, wow, that workout is insane! No other way to describe it. LOL. I have that futuristic Gin Miller step workout too...don't remember the name though. I liked her a lot back then. Those old TV shows were the best! Did you ever finish Dark Shadows?

No plans for today...

Take care,

Did the spin s&s workout . It does not split the spin up clearly by song and no countdown timer . I didn't think it was as hard as the others but I'm less likely to increase tension when I'm at a good level already. I go more by heart rate ......did not like the music ( big surprise)...started out fine but the last songs were unpleasant noise. I'm getting better at the up down /position changes with the main thing the shorts padding... not keeping up. tends to get caught on the tip of the saddle.

Deb if you have the slow down 0.8 feature.... it lets you keep moving. Mine clicks on and off, so you can slow one exercise and easily click the next move back to regular . It's a way to keep going when you need a slight breather but don't need completely stop and collapse.
My car is 2004 so no electronic features to speak of. I can tell the tire is low because it looks squishy! will run this one through the winter and maybe trade it in. I'm not sure I want to though, as I love this car and would like it to run forever.

Last edited:
My workout today was Lift It HiiT It Legs. Between that and Flex Train earlier this week my lower body has been thoroughly worked. I feel soreness in different places than usual. My daughters did SS Ramped Up Upper Body. I'm pretty sure they both plan to buy the download for use in the gym. My older daughter is an advanced exerciser. For years she researched and wrote for different women's health and fitness magazines. My younger daughter tends to do mostly classes at her gym and is just starting with weights.

Deb, the SS rotation in the calendar is the same as in the calendar. I just printed the rotations from the manual to review.

Lori, those jumping workouts are amazing. I would never be able to do those!

Diane Sue, it sounds like you are recovering well. It must feel great to be able to workout some even if it is only lower body.

Valerie, I don't usually mind the music in the workouts, but some of the music in SS is annoying. Fortunately I can easily block it out of my mind.

Judy, redecorating is always fun. I'm sure you will enjoy the new furniture.

Just got back from mt biking 1 hr 20 min. not much different than the last time,. cold with some patchy snow and ice. rode those sections carefully. it was 40-45 degrees or so, but we will be getting wet, then snow and very cold ( for us) temps so that will end outdoor biking for a bit. so not ideal but last time for a few weeks.

I worked out every day except 2 in December. I am keeping a paper calendar. easier to see and impresses me more than an electronic one. my jeans are looser! I am hungry... woke me up last night and had to eat tablespoon of peanuts.... but think I am finally getting somewhere. I was doing the WW program even before I officially joined on the 21st.

Carolyn that is great your daughters are active, and involved in womens fitness. . did this happen because of your example or did you get fit because of your daughters?

Judy.. have fun with decorating. so much fun to freshen things up.... a coat of paint does wonders .

Hi all!

Today I did Cardio Slam. It's a tough one. I am very proud that I only needed to modify one move. The power splits running the length of the mat. I just stayed in place and did them. Way too much stress on the knee. Towards the end I was tired. I still did not modify but it was not pretty! Did not have my watch on. Thought of it while I was warming up. Would love to know the calorie burn and HR for this one. I really liked it. The music in these workouts really do not bother me. I am so focused on the move that I really do not notice.

The power jump workouts are really a lot of fun. I am usually not as fast as they are. I am fast but they are insanely fast at times. I seemed to always be a beat behind. Especially when there is a language barrier. I do not mind though - I love them The calorie burn is amazing.

Valerie...when I do a SB bounce I am barefoot. But when doing the power jumps I use a soft sneaker for that reason. I am bouncing so hard and fast I need the extra support especially if my foot lands on the bungie cord. Hmmm glad I did not buy the spin workout. I liked when the song went for a segment. As I mentioned above, I usually do not notice the music but I must say - it is important when I do a spin workout! Need upbeat music to pull me though!!!! I wish cars would run forever. I have had a few favorites over the years.

Diane Sue...yes no jumping for you for a while. I use firm "support" on jumping days. And sometimes it seems to not be enough. I have been reading a lot about rebounding is extremely good for the lymphatic system. Helps fush out toxins. Have you read anything on this topic?

Deb...funny we all had that Reebok Step workout. Did you have the Reebok Slide? I loved mine. When we moved to where we are now 17 years ago it got tossed. We just did not think we would have the room for it. I did finish Dark Shadows a couple of weeks ago. I started I think August or September of 2015 and it took that long to watch all 1,245 episodes! I really enjoyed it. I can see myself starting all over again at some point.

Carolyn...that is awesome your daughter wrote for fitness magazines. Did she know of Cathe from other than you using her DVD's? I love my downloads and glad I went with solely them this time. I love the convenience of them. Lift it Hitt it legs is a great workout...yes rest your legs.

Have a great night all!

Today I did a little of Great Glutes. I did the warm up, disc, and bonus chair work, 35 minutes, 90 calories. I had to go out and run errands or I would have walked on the Tread Climber for a bit. I needed to go take care of the car tag since it was my last day to do it. Originally my husband was going to do it but he called and had to work later today. Since I was out I ran to Sprouts to get some things that are only on sale till the new year. When I was at Sprouts my son in law called asking if I could watch my two year old grandson while they went to a birthday party for the 8 year old that had bowling and things Micah could not do. So, I had him to play with this afternoon. Then the guy came to tune my piano. It sounds great now. He tuned it, adjusted the keys, and tuned it again. It was really bad. Now I know why it sounded like I was hitting the wrong keys all of the time.

Deb, I am sorry that you had a not good day again. Do you think they are becoming less? I had the futuristic Gin Miller too.

Carolyn, that is really an accomplishment for your daughter to have written for fitness magazines. Do your daughter's live close enough together that they could work together on weight training. Weight training makes so much of a difference in physique. I feel like if I can do a little now it won't be so hard to get back into it later. Yes, it feels good to do something.

Valerie, I know others that go out when it is cold and there is snow on the ground. When it is cold and icy I do not want to go out of the house. Of course I have to, but if I could stay in I would. Funny, when I was a child I volunteered to shovel snow and enjoyed being out in it over being indoors. I am rarely hungry. Only on occasions when I haven't had time to eat during the day and have worked out hard. Nice work on only two days not working out and looser clothing.

Lori, yes, I have read in quite a few places that rebounding is good for the lymphatic system. Dr Axe had an article on the rebounder recently. I read about it and the lymphatic system when I was researching and bought my URX-MT workouts. I usually wear shoes but did not on SB when I did it. How is the surface on the Jump Sport? Is it smooth. Mine is rough and when doing things like the down up plank move on my elbows I put a towel on it because it rips up my elbows and hands. I will enjoy getting back into it again. It was nice for rehabbing my knee as long as I did not do the crazy jumping leaping off and on and air jacks on it. That would set off the knee pain. I think the bungie cords are a bit easier on the knees than the springs. I have tripped over the skirt on the springs and caught my toes in them before. If I do it for awhile it becomes second nature to miss the skirt and springs. I am surprised with all those insane jumping workouts that you found SS Cardio Slam tough. I am looking forward to when I can do it. I would be interested in the calorie burn on that one too. In the past I purchased high compression motion control sports bras for high impact stuff. I need to get new ones. I too like upbeat music for things like the rebounder and also when I use my hoops. I once purchased a set of hoops that were weighted with water inside. I made up a cd of great tunes to make it fun while hooping. It required some coordination doing the hoop and the two smaller ones on my arms. My grandson, 2 recently pulled the outside plastic off of them that I never removed. I figure now they will wear down and get dusty.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. I think I am going to try the new S&S only rotation starting tomorrow.

Valerie, good workout, even if the shorts didn't stay in place. :). I say keep the car until it dies. You never know what you will get in a new one. If you did get a new one, would it be another Subaru? Yes, that weather does not sound very good for biking. Great job on the weight loss!

Carolyn, that great that your daughters like S&S...you are an enabler!

Lori, wow, doing the whole Cardio Slam and only one move modified is awesome! I also did not do those power splits...some seemed too "iffy" for knees etc. I didn't notice the music in any of the new workouts I have done either. I really like the new intro when the DVD's just start opening...then it switches over to her regular opening tune. I wish she had more upbeat music for the cardio portions. No, I didn't have the Reebok slide...what was that?

Diane Sue, good that you got out for a while, even if it was to run errands. I didn't realize you played piano..that's great! The good days I have are still few and far between...maybe 2 a week...others are different levels of bad.

Any plans for tonight? John and I may go to our favorite Indian food restaurant...or not...We are not big on New Year's Eve. Dinner at my brother's tomorrow.

Take care,

Deb next new car will likely be a subaru forester to replace my current one. I am so-so on the outback. I sit low...more "car like" than SUV- like. I'm short and I can't see over the hood. DH has a longer torso so ok for him. We didn't get the fancy interior and the seats don't raise up much,the passenger one not at all, so I feel like a little old lady in it, one of those "driverless"cars where you can't see a driver. The older subies were more boxy and a clear view from all angles. The seat belt chimes are way less intrusive. I always loved this car!

Diane sue we have always done a lot outside, even in winter. Getting clothing layers right for YOU and what you're doing is important. We start out well layered but readjust in 10 minutes of activity. .... people start out with some garment that's too heavy and have no way to layer down when they heat up from activity. then they get sweaty and then they get chilled. there is a science to getting it right. it's not the same for everyone. DH always gets cold hands and feet so he has to use heavier there, while if my ears, head, neck are protected I feel warm. I have a Patagonia 1/4 zip hoodie that is my favorite piece. it is perfect for me. when I warm up I can take the hood down and unzip the neck and with minimum fuss, I control my temp. you really don't want to sweat much for outdoor work in cold temps. my feet get too warm in heavy boots. I'm better with lighter more flexible ones but DH wants Pacs and thick gloves. I focus on ears, head, neck, and go lighter on boots and gloves.

Forgetting to eat doesn't happen for me. My stomach absolutely screams at me, even wakes me upo at night. No way to ignore it. Hunger is a migraine trigger for DH so he is always there to make sure I don't forget mealtime.

Lori my feet are tender... I need shoes. my big toe joints are on life support. The jumping looks like fun! I'd break my neck on it but it looks like a great workout.

we don't go out for new years... watch whatever on TV and go to bed early to try to fall asleep before the locals start blowing off fireworks. it is an earplug night.

Last edited:
Today I did a timesaver premix from Rockout Knockout. I did the cardio with gloves and kickboxing combos for 43 minutes. Good workout without being too hard.

My daughters are both gone home now. Oldest left yesterday and youngest this morning. We had a great holiday and worked in a lot of fitness.

Diane Sue, they don't live close to each other. Oldest is in New York and youngest in DC/Virginia.

Valerie, I always did various exercise classes when my kids were young but I'm not sure that I influenced them that much. Older daughter does more research for articles but she occasionally writes them too. She has worked in some type of media for the last 20 years. All three are great with researching and wonderful writers.

We have no special plans for New Years. We tend to stay home and have a quiet evening.

Today there was no workout. My husband and I went out of town and had lunch with friends. It was an all day outing. I ate one piece of pizza so by the time we got home this evening I was famished. I was glad I had some pineapple cut up to munch on while I got dinner ready. WE are staying home tonight. Tomorrow we will work on taking down the tree and decorations.

Deb, getting out once in awhile is nice after being shut up and sitting around the house so much. No plans tonight. My husband knew I wanted to go to the store and get bottled water, I can't pick it up yet, and I told him we would wait. I don't feel like going back out. I did not sleep more than 2 hours last night and I am dragging. I have some water in the mini refrigerator upstairs anyway so we can drag it down from up there and get some tomorrow.

Carolyn, that is great that you had a nice Christmas and visit with your daughters. I bet you savored every minute. My daughters worked out with me when they were at home. They both still workout. The older one goes to the gym at the university with her daughter in the evenings now. They meet up there after she gets off of work.

Valerie, I can see the layering being needed. Being active would take make the need for some of those layers to come off. Being sweaty with freezing temps does not sound like a good idea. I don't think we will be hearing too much at midnight here since it is mostly elderly people. I remember Kelly Coffey saying on one of her workouts that had a bonus stretch on it that she was not a barefoot kind of girl :)

Good afternoon ladies,

My son came yesterday and staying tonight too so no workout room. I do not mind though. Once again he brought up my jumpsport and light weights. This morning I did Power Jump Mix #49. It's the most recent one on Youtube. Wasn't one of the most intense but a great workout. 49 mins, 474 calories. HR averaged 135 but this included warm up and cool down. Next time I am going to try and let my watch run just for the actual workout to see average HR. At one point I saw that I was at 167. Not sure if it ever went higher.

Diane Sue...having your grandson over must be nice. I can't wait for grandchildren. It will be a while before that happens. :( The jumpsport is smooth and feels great on the arms and feet. I could not be happier with my purchase. I know.... I expected Cardio Slam to be easier than it was. But it is a lot if high impact and the jumpsport has been kinder on my joints. It creeped up on me towards the end. I have been really working my legs lately so it makes sense. The portions of Great Glutes must have felt great. Nice little 35 minute workout. Not sure when we will be taking down our tree. We are one of those people that leave it up way longer than it should be. :oops:

Deb...I am debating starting with a rotation. The power splits were an accident waiting to happen. No desire to even attempt them. Hope you are feeling better today. I will see if I can find a link to a Reebok slide wotkout. Once you see it you will know exactly what it is.

Carolyn...I am always sad when my son leaves. I am happy he will be moving back but when he moves out again I will have to go thru all that sadness. :(. My son understands the importance of fitness and runs on the Treadmill and uses weights now and then. I would like to think that is from seeing me workout his entire life. Starting tomorrow he is going vegetarian. He cut out red meat a few months ago now going for all meats. I told him we will support him but do not expect me to give up my steak!

Valerie...I imagine you and your husband have the layering down to a science! We do not go out either. Tonight we watched Titantic on our projector. Was awesome on our 120 inch screen. It has been some time since we had seen it so it was great. Was like being at the movies.

Happy New Year to you all!!!

Hi to Judy, Josie and Caitlyn!

Happy New Year everyone!.
today I did boot Camp from ICE. it uses the step a lot so I had done it once before but didn't remember doing it and obviously had to skip over a lot of it. I may have tried it unsuccesfully with the high step. I decided since the new series is sounding hard, best learn to use the step at least somewhat before I try them. some of it was easy, the step parts not too bad. I did what you suggested, lowered to one riser to start with, went to 2 on the second half. just kept doing "something" if I got messed up and it went fine. I had to stop it a lot to figure out weight to use, and sometimes the pattern.... but overall a decent workout in a little longer than expected.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.