Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/6

I did do a short workout yesterday, 40 on the elliptical and core 1. today we did a hike. 4.5 hours. much less arduous than the last one. very strange.... sort of like 911 out there with no traffic and no one on the trail at all even though it was a lovely day especially for November. I'm not complaining! it was lovely..... peaceful and quiet. saw several grouse and deer tracks but that was it.
I'm sure most everyone was surprised and more or less shocked by the election outcome, regardless of which side they're on. Dh has been trying to get his insurance coverage set up for next year and he is having trouble getting any kind of answer about anything, and we are assuming the whole thing is now in flux.
we did a hike we knew we could not finish due to snow. sort of crusty, nasty week old snow, enough to make it slippery on a steep slope. so we only went as far as it was OK. probably 3 miles, with a good climb but so much easier when the surface is smoothly fairly
graded and mostly dry.
diane sue are they giving you any kind of explanation for the swollen nodes? not trying to pry but it seems there should be at least a few "possibles" to explain it. .

DH has a full skin exam annually. his sister had melanoma many years ago but survived. DH has had some small potentially cancerous spots removed. so he does it as precaution. raised in the sun in California, with pale skin. I also am pale but not that much sun exposure and very few moles and other skin "do dads" while he has many.

I don't get messed up by the time change usually. I could go with a consistent time all year, or switch back and forth, either is OK for me.

Good evening ladies...

Today I took a rest day. Tried to sleep in a bit but that wasn't happening. My biopsy was negative! Yeah!!

Deb..my brain just doesn't get we get an extra hour of sleep and wakes up at 4am thinking it is 5am!! I have been staying up later thinking this will help me reset but not yet.

Diane Sue...yes the Power Jumps are all in Portuguese. But they are so easy to follow and yes some of the sections are extremely fast pace. That is why I love them. I have not come across one with a bar. My favorite right now is #44. I love the last training segment which is always the "electric" one. Crazy fast jumping!

Judy...great rides. I am looking forward to the KCM workouts too. I don not know why I do not do more of her workouts. I like her as an instructor. How has your hip been with all the riding? All good?

Carolyn...I love Cardio Leg Blast! Such a great workout. We are going to visit my inlaws for Thanksgiving in Florida. I have always wanted to be in Florida for Thanksgiving. Will be odd having it so warm compared to New England. We are traveling with Nilla. Not sure how she will do but I will not board her. She is 16 and would not do well. My son is taking GiGi for the week.

Valerie...sounds like a perfect hike. Beautiful day and no crowds! Good that your husband is proactive and getting screened every year. I have a friend that is very depressed about the outcome of the election.

Hi to Lynda, Jose and Caitlin!

Forgot to mention...I love the new app for On Demand. I currently have Live only but will get On Demand when the new workouts come out. This time I only bought the downloads. I want to check out the premixes.

Valerie, insurance has been in an uproar here for us. It was supposed to go up around 500 dollars a month. That would take up most of the rest of our retirement check. So they have been having meetings. It was on the news that the retired officers are losing a lot with the cost of insurance. I think they are settling on some other options and it will be up about 250 a month instead. It is crazy how much it has gone up. I just call the retirement check the incredibly shrinking check. Most retired officers have to work. No one really planned for all of this. They have worked on setting up a health clinic downtown for most check ups and illness for city employees that would cost less.
I am getting an MRI next week. They have mentioned some things. That would have been a nice hike without all of the other people there.

Lorie, that is great that your biopsy was negative. I looked at several of the power jumps. The music seems good so I think I would like them. I only put the bar attachment on my rebounder for the grandchildren when they want to jump on it. I tried using it for a barre before but I find it is just as easy to use a chair and takes a bit of time to put it on and take it back off.
Gertie does not let me forget there is a time change. She sticks to me like glue and keeps nudging me starting around 4. She usually eats around 5. It has throw her off schedule. She generally eats as soon as I finish getting a sip of coffee in the morning and her dinner is always around 5. She will go back and forth between me and my husband trying to get someone to pay attention.
I keep waking up earlier too. Our sleep and wake schedule is off most of the time. Every other week changes. I never get used to it completely. I saw the new app but it is designed for ios so not for my android. I ordered the dvds and the downloads.

Hi Everyone,

Today I did KCM Strength & Stamina-Combined Premix and 30 minutes of Jill Miller Yoga Tune-up. My lower back is bothering me again. I'm afraid it might be too much biking and trying to keep up with the challenge. I'm going to back off of the biking for the next few days and see how it goes.

Deb- Did you try out the new on demand app?

Lori-it's great that your biopsy was negative! I love the new on demand app too. My hip has been ok, but my low back is acting up.

Valerie-That was a long hike! Great job!

Diane Sue-those cases of water are awkward. They really aren't that heavy, just bulky and hard to carry.

Carolyn-Great workout! Stress free holidays are the best!

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Barbell Upper Body. One of my favorite Live workouts.

Carolyn, I forget what series Cardio Leg Blast is from...are you doing a particular rotation? I have not had any coffee/tea since September 2. Still trying to stay away from anything acidic. Thanks for reminding me...I need to start my Thanksgiving shopping list.

Diane Sue, nice mix of KCM's :). Agree with your comment on lunch with friends. Great that your grandchildren chipped in to help on Thanksgiving. All of my relatives each bring something too. I thought that retired officers would have a good health care plan. Wow that is sure a big increase. Mine is going up $100 a month. I am looking forward to when I can go on Medicare. Is your husband eligible yet? We have some type of program here that is always on the radio for veterans and their families. I wonder if it is nationwide? I will see if I can find out about it and let you know. Maybe it's the dogs that are making me get up at 4:00 every day instead of 5:00! I didn't even think of that.

Valerie, John also had problems with setting up his Medicare for next year, but it started weeks ago. He has a benefit that comes with my retirement program that gives him a stipend each month towards his outlay of money for Medicare, and the company that sponsors was all messed up and not ready for the 2017 enrollment.

Lori, great news on the biopsy! Great that you are able to take Nilla with you to Florida, and Gigi will get to stay with her "brother"...LOL.

Judy, sorry to hear about your lower back....good to back off on the riding if that is what you think is doing it. No, I don't have On Demand...only Live. I am going to sign up for the year of Live and take advantage of the 15% off coupon. My month ends on 11/21, so a the next day I will cancel that and sign up for the year.

Lynda, sorry to see you are not going to post any more...will miss you here. :(

A workout, then maybe my winter/summer clothes switch....again late to the party when it comes to doing that...Anyone have any fun plans for the weekend?

Take care,

Good Morning,

Chris is off work for Veteran's Day today so we are going out to breakfast, then going shopping and running some errands. I might take a rest day or do a workout this evening.

Lynda-I'm so sorry that you won't be posting anymore :( you will be missed

Deb-My month ended today, so I decided to sign up for the year of Live and On Demand yesterday then I just cancelled the monthly subscription.
Based on how my good my back was feeling before I increased my riding, I think that's the problem. It might be the seat position and the fact that the fly wheel on my newer spin bike is in the rear, not the front. I will try riding my old spin bike for a while to see if it makes a difference.

Diane Sue-I hope you get some answers from your MRI. We are still adapting to the time change, and have been waking up earlier too.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Judy

Lynda, I am sorry th a t you are not going to post anymore. You will be missed. Maybe you will reconsider in awhile?

Judy, I have had the cycling bother my back before. When I first purchased my spin bike I used it a lot. You put a lot of hours in on yours. I had to buy a gel seat cover and adjust some. I literally rubbed skin off sitting on it., I used it quite a bit when we stayed with our daughter waiting for our house. I would ride it out on their patio early in the mornings. My fly wheel is on the front . I hope you can figure it out so that you can continue to ride.
My husband is doing a veterans day talk at a school this morning.

Deb, I will be the firstone on medicare next year. My husband is two years younger than I am. Yes, it should help with those costs. Then listening to my daughter I think some doctors do not like to take on medicare patients. I was wondering why some doctors had, check on age limits. I thought maybe no babies or something but it was the opposite, I also was interested in the medicare advantage that is on our city's plan bit my daughter says it is not good. I am not looking forward to figuring it all out.

Lynda I am so sorry to hear you won't be posting. please reconsider. maybe you need a break but can come back with us after a rest and regroup? I will miss you.

Judy I have never seen a spin bike with a rear flywheel. maybe too much time on, getting overuse aches and pains. I know my first times on the spin bike were rough. I had to do lots of experimenting with seat and handlebar height and distance of the seat forward and back. I still don't do long indoor rides like you . outdoor riding involves way more position changes. you don't sit in one position for long and tend to get off the seat . maybe you need to be careful about doing too much of one thing by limiting time or number of days you spend on any one activity.

Diane sue.. Medicare doesn't reimburse as well as private employer insurance. older people tend to have longer problem lists, more meds, etc. so medicare patients are more time consuming , more medically complicated, and less compensation. not hard to see why they are not always eagerly sought after.
DH has been tearing his hair out ( he can't afford to do that!) over his insurance. getting all kinds of conflicting answers or no answers. He has a couple years yet before medicare.

I'm not getting thread notifications suddenly, and am needing to sign in every time I come here. I have "keep logged in" checked, but in the last few days something has changed. maybe it's my email program? not sure what changed.

Last edited:
Lynda, I am sorry that you will no longer post on the forum. I have been inspired and encouraged by your posts even though I was not actively participating. You will be missed.

Today I did X Train Chest, Back, and Shoulders. I love working these body parts, but I have to make certain that I balance that with Bis and Tris. One reason that I like Cathe's rotations is the balance is built in, or I would only work my favorite body parts .

Deb, Cardio Leg Blast is from X Train. I am doing Cathe's November rotation. I like the focus on heavy weights this month and each week features a different series. Week one is X Train, next week Ripped w/HiiT, Week 3 Slow and Heavy, and week 4 Gym Styles.

I think health insurance is expensive and continues to go up for everyone. My husband is retired military which has health insurance as a benefit, however we had to sign up for Medicare in order to keep it. Medicare premiums are rising. I continued my coverage from my former employer, but that became a Medicare Advantage plan when I retired. Those premiums are also rising in January. It is all very confusing and requires time and research to make the best (you hope) choices.

Hi to everyone.

Today I did Amy Bento Step Challenge 2, combos 1,2,1&2 combined and 3, 44 minutes, 340 calories. I then did Ice Low Impact Sweat blizzard blast, 11 minutes, 85 calories. I finished off with Les Mills Pump Flow, 21 minutes, 46 calories. I always like this yoga because there is no lying on the floor on my back and no lengthy repetitive segments. My workout was 77 minutes, and 471 calories.

Valerie, that does make since with Medicare. It doesn't seem like a fair way to treat the elderly though.. As far as meds, I take none. They always seem a bit surprised when I go in for appointments and tests. We are using an HMO and it takes awhile to get them to authorize stuff. That is why each step has been done separately. They had wanted to do both ct scans the same day but the insurance wanted to see if results of the first warranted the other. So consequently I had to have ivs and everything twice. Sometimes I think they do not work as cost effectively as they could. When I had the torn meniscus the doctor wanted an mri, The insurance insisted on an x ray first. That took weeks since we were living out of our network area.

Hi Ladies,

I'm also very depressed and heartbroken by what has happened. I need to take a step back and take a break from social media.

Lynda, it has been a pleasure talking to you on this forum. Thank you so much for supporting me on all my Aids lifecycle rides.

Thank you all for supporting me as well on my ride.

Josie

Good morning,

Yesterday I did a Cardio Coach workout on the treadmill. I miss Coach Sean.

Judy, a rest day sounds good, maybe will help with your back. How was shopping?

Diane Sue, that's great that your husband is doing that talk at the school. I hear you on the cost of health care. I got my retiree packet yesterday and mine will be going up $100 a month ( to $500), John pays $65 a month on Medicare.

Valerie, that makes sense about why some doctors do not want to take Medicare. Thankfully that has not been a problem with anyone I know here that is on it. Maybe ask Customer Service here about the signing in and email notifications?

Carolyn, good job doing Cathe's rotation...those are tough!

Josie, I hope you will continue to post here. I can understand why you would want to take a break from social media...(FB, Twitter etc), but I don't consider this the same as those. We would surely miss you.

Breakfast with my niece this morning, then the rug people are coming out to measure and agility class at 11:00....

Take care,

Good morning ladies,

Yesterday I did SB's challenge which was lower body targets. I really like this one. At the end we do hamstrings on the ball. Always gets me good. I followed up with battle rope tabatas.

Lynda...I am very sorry you will not be posting. I always enjoyed your posts and as Carolyn mentioned you are very inspiring, You will be missed.

Diane Sue...I do not have the bar attachment. The Jumpsport was expensive enough. Was another $80 for the bar. I have a portable barre I plan to keep next to it and use for SB's new dvd. Hoping this works fine. Rather not have to buy the bar. Glad you are going for an MRI.

Deb...looks like you are back to your workouts! You had a tough road. Bet it feels good. GiGi will have a blast. There is a dog park my son plans to take her too plus on Thanksgiving he is going to his Aunts house. They have 2 grown labs and a puppy about the same age as GiGi. She will sleep good that night!

Valerie...insurance is so expensive! So ridiculous. And it stinks because you must have it. My notifications have been working fine.

Judy...very interesting with the fly wheel in the back. Can you send the model? Imwould love to check it out. Not that I would be interested in buying one. Just curious. What is the advantage ti having wheel in back? Hope it is not cause your pain. You are right the seat could be the culprit.

Carolyn...great job with the November rotation. Other than doing her new dvd rotations when the come out Inhave yet to try out one of her monthly rotations. I have so many "activities" and instructors that I like that I find it is hard for me to stick to one instructor for a month.

Josie...I too hope you still post here.

Not sure what the workout will be. We have a lot of errands today.

Lori-my newer bike is the Cyclops 300 Pro and my older bike is a Spinner Sport. The main difference is that the Cyclops flywheel weighs 48 lbs and is in the rear. The Spinner Sport flywheel weighs 32 lbs and is in the front.

Attachments

• Pain Cave.jpg
    Pain Cave.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 11
  • spin mod.jpg
    spin mod.jpg
    899.1 KB · Views: 11
I think there has been a change in Outlook express as I have to click on a new screen to sign in before getting my email. everything else seems to be working today so maybe just a burp in the system.

Josie I know you have not been around here as much lately. I have a facebook and twitter account but don't use them much. right now is no time to, IMO. I want to go outside and pound sand! Like about half the country, I was stunned, shocked and horrified by the election results and worry about future events. I've tried to limit any even slightly political posts to infrequent, short, respectful, but there's no way to act like nothing happened on Tuesday. I hope both you and Lynda can rejoin us because you will both be missed. .

this forum keeps me reminded about exercising regularly, the variety of workouts out there. such a nice way to touch base with some very nice people who think exercise is important, not always an easy thing to find. Thank you all for showing up and participating all this time, I enjoy this forum very much.

Judy, I also wonder if your issue is more postural. too much forward lean aggravating your low back? backside...hams and glutes getting over worked at expense of front musculature? DH positions the bike totally different than I do, although he is not much taller. Looking at the black marker lines on the spin bike you would think two very radically sized people use it. maybe try moving the seat forward a little and handle bars upward? I don't know, just some random thoughts.

DH is still wrestling with the insurance question, and it is looking like $700-800 a month. and nobody seems to have the needed facts, lots of conflicting information. that's a lot of money for an uncertain outcome. My Medicare plus advantage plan doesn't cost anything extra. strange how much the variation between areas.
ETA I don't take any meds regularly either, so the drug benefit isn't worth much to me. DH takes BP meds, several, and all are generic but some generics are jumping up in cost.

I took a rest day yesterday. I usually do after a hike since the hours are long and since I always hike with poles, I get upper body work too.

Last edited:
Today I started with one of the Power Jump youtube workouts on the rebounder. I chose a short one that was 11 minutes. Oh, my gosh, I should have warmed up first !! heart rate was 141 average and max 172 :O I waned a good warm up before lower body and I guess that one did it. I then did Kelly Coffey Split sessions workout2 lower body with the bonus 45 minutes, 199 calories. I finished of with Cathe leaner legs barre using a weight with it and started the abs but once the basic crunches were over I went on to the stretch. I did not want to raise a dumbbell overhead and by this point I was just done anyway. This was 20 minutes, 65 calories. Total time 76 minutes, calories burned 365.

Deb, our insurance is 1114 a month before the upcoming increase. That does not include 87 a month for dental. Medicare will be a relief in comparison. I am not sure about adding a supplement though and cost for that if needed. I used to love doing cardio coach workouts. I used to frequent Sean's forums. It is such a shame.

Lorie, it seems like your freestanding bar would be fine when you do SB workouts or make up your own. I see no reason so far for me to have the bar on the rebounder with the workouts that I have done so far. My set was a special deal that included the bar, free bonus workouts, all of the URX MT workouts, tubing that clips onto the rebounder between the springs for Greg Cooks workout and the bar. The only extra I purchased was a couple of sets of sand weights. I would like a rebounder without the springs though. I wonder how well the bungees hold up on those. It always looks like it would be a lot more comfortable for exercises done on the rebounder than lying on springs.

Josie, please keep checking in. I love reading what everyone else does for fitness and health. Others that are like minded to share with.

Judy, your bike looks interesting. I never thought about the fly wheel and weight. I just have a Schwinn and have no clue how much the fly wheel weights . Now I am intrigued about different spin bikes.

Valerie, I have had issues with logging in as well. I always put keep me logged in and end up having to log in all over again. This happens on some other sites for me as well. My husband said something about my browser and what Cathe uses but I don't think that is the case sine it happens elsewhere. I too enjoy the forums. I try to be careful of others feelings when I post and hope no one ever takes what I say the wrong way. I never could see why someone wants to go out social media to argue and fuss with each other. I go for enjoyment and to learn things. I fast forward through facebook to see what friends and family are doing and some of he fitness postings. I try to avoid the other stuff.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
Today I did Low Impact Sweat One and Two. I was really worn out by the time I got to the last few rounds in workout two.

Valerie, I totally agree that this forum helps me keep my focus on working out. This group is supportive and motivating in a similar way that my WW group provides support. No one in my daily life and peer group is interested in working out or healthy eating! My daughters of course have similar interests but they are all out of town.

Diane Sue, that sounds like quite a warm-up on the rebounder. You and Lori have really piqued my interest in that type of workout, but l decided I should step back from the exercise equipment ledge .

Wishing everyone a great afternoon.

Judy, I just saw the pictures of your bikes. The Cyclops is very unusual. My bike is like your older one--it is a Spinner Pro. I hope your back feels better.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.