Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 11/6

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Crush It Low Impact. Like this, short and sweet. Then went to my friend's for lunch and a couple episodes of Suits. Only 2 more to go and we would have completed the season.

Valerie, that Lowes trip without coming out with the bricks must have been frustrating! Just a question, why didn't you buy what they had even though not a full pallet? Using your old DW sounds complicated, I think I would choose to just wash them by hand. :)

Carolyn, thanks for the info on Cathe yoga DVD express workouts. I think I was thinking of the barre workouts she has that didn't really have a short premix. Also will go and see the STS extended stretch again. That is on each STS DVD? I think you will like the Vertical Loading workout.

Diane Sue, leaks can be so frustrating! I hope you can get it fixed soon. Kudos to you husband and grandson on the weight loss. I think men need a "challenge" to do something like dieting LOL...

Lynda, great that the dress will be done soon....remember to post pics here. Was the dinner at your regular comfort food place? I have heard of that hot yoga....does not sound enjoyable to me either. It would remind me of hot flashes..and who wants to go back there?

Lori, you are really getting into those jump workouts! They do sound like a lot of fun, especially if they have good music to "jump" to.

A workout, then maybe some organizing around here. I think with all the talk about KCM, I may do one of her workouts today.

Take care,

Deb, that's the same thing I asked DH. the bricks arrive at Lowes packaged on a wood palettes of 45, then shrink wrapped with serious plastic wrap. once the package is opened they need to be lifted and loaded one brick at a time. but if the palette is intact, a fork lift can pick up the palette and set it in the back of a truck all in one piece. a palette weighs about 2700 lbs. WAY easier for everyone. the bricks are protected and more stable for travel too when all wrapped up. As we watched this inexperienced fork lift guy, we thought he was going to drop the whole thing from at least 30 feet in the air.
Luckily I am having good luck doing dishes this way. I can't get an install until wed 16th. disappointing. but my method is working pretty well.

I'm aware of places that do hot yoga, my niece has done it. I can't imagine doing anything rigorous when it's so hot. I 'd roll up into a ball and die. heat doesn't energize me, it drains me. the studio I went to was always cool and that's the only way I'd do it. I don't sweat well, and overheat easily. I need to keep my body temp down to exercise. I don't sweat enough to cool myself. when others have sweat pouring off them, I get a few damp spots but that's it.

diane sue do you have rain gutters? if you don't, could you add them to channel the water away from the roof edge? I am no contractor
but thinking we had problems with water under the flashing when the gutters got blocked by ice dams or leaves.

I am so glad the election is almost over..... hoping for a clear cut win... so there will not be a disputed outcome and all the ulginess that could entail.

Good Morning,
I just completed my workout for the day. I did XTrain Bis and Tris and Jessica Smith's 15 minute Calorie Blaster walk for a total workout time of 60 minutes. The calorie burn was not very high, but I never feel that the Fitbit is as accurate as my Polar was.

Waving hello to everyone. Have a great day.

This morning I did Ice Chiseled Lower Body Blast, 48 minutes, 330 calories. I used mostly 12# dumbbells and sometimes 15#. That is all for now. I sort of wanted to do the floor work from Kelly Coffey Split sessions with the firewalker band and a Sarah Beth Yoga I was looking at last night. Her Yin Yoga is the practices that are held for long periods of time. I hurried to shower and get out and vote mid morning. I still ended up standing outside. It is cool today and drizzling so I was glad I had my hooded Nike jacket in the car. It really did not take too long though. I read a bit on my cell phone while waiting. My granddaughter (the one with the camera) is staying the night tonight and will be here for dinner before she heads back to her school for a cheer practice. We live close to her school and it saves her the trip home. We always enjoy having her come over. It is a good thing I made a big pot of the Fixate Mexican tortilla soup last night. I always leave out some of the tortillas though. She uses 4 in it and for on top. I used 3 this time and made sure I got the La Tortilla factory organic no GMO ones. Sometimes I put none it and just add extra chicken. The organic ones give it a nice flavor though. I rarely use corn and wheat products for myself though.

Deb, it is nice to switch to a different instructor once in awhile. I like Kelly Coffey's personality and enjoy her workouts. I looked at Cathe's Barre workout recently hoping for a short premix, but they were all long. That is when I just ended up going to the chapters and doing the firewalker portion along with the abs and stretch for an add on to another workout.

Valerie, We do have rain gutters. Oddly the rain gutter is away from the glass roof a bit. I have checked for blockage myself. Last year when it got bad there was ice on the glass and it was pushing melting water back up under the flashing. My son came over and took a push broom to brush away as much ice as he could and then when it dried out tried to seal it as well as he could. It is really hard to get to and you cannot climb on the glass roof. There is a drop off from the main roof to the glass roof because we have a high ceiling in the living room that goes all the way to the second floor ceiling height because the loft room is open. The sun room was built onto the patio and is lower but slopes. Water runs down it so I guess it just runs off behind the rain gutter which I do not totally understand. I think the room was not planned too well. There is a ceiling fan in the middle. That glass roof heats up that room something terrible in the summer and in the winter it is like an ice box. We covered the glass with some metallic insulation and then between the metal beams we put up curtains like you would a door curtain to hide the insulation. It doesn't look bad and it helps with the heat and cold. We had put the Gerties crate in there and we never close the sliding glass door that goes to the living room. They did not plan an exit from there either. We do not like that. Our only exit door is from the entry. The other goes into the garage. Sweating and yoga do not seem at all relaxing to me. I have a stand fan in my workout room and that is on even during the winter when I workout. I do no like pouring sweat either. At least you nave a way to still use the dishwasher. I think my daughter paid a large amount of money when they bought their Bosch dishwasher. They chose one that the buttons are hidden instead of being on the front like many of them. My grandson 5 almost 6 was a baby when they purchased it and they have had no issues with it at all. They don't clean the dishes like I do when they put them in it.

Carolyn, I use several methods to get my calorie burn. I find my Fit Bit Blaze is usually lower than everything else. What I have to do is figure it out by average heart rate and the calories burned calculator app, what I generally would get, Cathe's workout manager, and map my fitness which runs off the fit bit and blue tooth but is usually higher. I go ahead and sync the Fit Bit and note the time that the Fit Bit gives for that workout. Then I go to my fitness pal which I sync with my Fit Bit and put the workout in with the correct burn (or close to it) and change the time to what Fit Bit has for the same workout which is when I started it. It puts both in the app but the Fit Bit adjusts it and will often give a bit more calories than it originally had when it syncs again. I can see both workouts there but the app only adds it once to the stats. Oddly the Fit Bit App generally has my heart rate a bit higher than the watch shows when I push done on it. I find a steady state workout gives a closer calorie burn on the Fit Bit than most other workouts. It also makes up the difference over the course of the day because the metabolism is boosted from some other types of workouts. It does not do well on things like yoga and floor work or barre. You about have to come up with an alternative because it is generally about half what it should be.

Hi everyone--

This morning I did live Upper Body Sculpt (51 min.). Another good one--this time it's not endurance, but heavy sculpting--or heavy for me. I will be curious to see if I get doms.

Beautiful day for voting, so the turnout should be good here in MA. Valerie, I too want a clear-cut winner so there is no dispute, no more hanging chads or accusations of rigging or hacking or whatever. It has been a tiresome and ugly election season. We had some down-ballot questions that were pretty significant too. No lines in my little town.

Lori, if you search Aris A in women's clothing at Amazon, there are a lot of items. One of them looks a little like my dress, except that mine is all black, and they show a similar design with red patterned tulle in the sleeves and ruffles inserted in the sides.

Deb, it was a good season on Suits but I'm not sure where it will go next.

Diane Sue, that sun room sounds like it has been a lot of trouble. What made you decide to add it?

Carolyn--that's still a good workout for sculpting your arms.

ttfn

Lynda, we did not add it. It was done by previous owners. I have never had one so had no clue what a pain it would be. I would not have put it there. It faces a sidewalk and brick wall between our houses.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Good evening ladies...

This morning was another Power Jump workout. I am out of control!! Hehehhe. Calories burnt was 441 calories for 42 minutes. Then SB's challenge Upper Body Core Circuit. I had my annual skin scan today so had plenty of time to get in a good workout. GiGi and I also went for a really nice walk that we both enjoyed. My dermatologist did a biopsy on a suspicious mole on my back. I am sure it is fine but good he is being cautious as 3 of my sibilings have had melanoma and squamous.

Deb...I like the crush it workout a lot. You should give barre a try. Maybe Jessica Smith to start. I have turbo barre and that was my first experience with barre and I did not like it at all. It was ok but preferred other leg workouts over turbo barre. Had I not tried other instructors I may never have continued on. I love cathe but prefer others for barre.

Carolyn...I have been using my Apple Watch for my HR and calories burned. My Polar always was a bit higher. I have been meaning to try it out while jumping to compare but think of when I am about to start my workout. At that point I am too lazy to go put it on! Lol!

Diane Sue...It was beautiful this morning and very nice today here. Got a lot of people out to vote. We voted this evening around 6pm and had no lines. We walked right in and voted. That is a small town for you! My son is coming home tonight just to vote and will be spending the night. That sun rooms sounds like so much work.

Lynda...I will look up the dress on Amazon. Same here...no lines. Was great!

Valerie...you really do crack me up washing dishes the way you have. When do you get your new DW?

Have a great night all!!

Good morning,

Yesterday I did the lower body premix from KCM's Split Sessions. Just enough leg work for me.

Valerie, too bad you couldn't get the DW installed sooner, but at least you have a "work around" for doing the dishes.

Carolyn, good workouts!

Diane Sue, that is so nice that your granddaughter enjoys staying with you and you get along so well. I also was disappointed that Cathe's barre workouts do not have a shorter premix. I am still using my old trusty Polar F4 for calorie count...I hope it lasts a while longer.

Lynda, I looked at the clip of the Live workout you did yesterday, and plan on doing it tomorrow.

Lori, Great that Gigi is going on walks and enjoying them....she is following in her big "brother's paw prints...:). Good that you get checked out annually, very smart to do. I hope the biopsy turns out ok.

A workout, stuff around here and agility class tonight...

Take care,

I am tired today. We stayed up till after midnight watching election coverage an got up at 5:30 this morning. It took awhile to get in the workout. I did Kelly's Strength and Stamina bonus step workout, 23 minutes, 180 calories. I then did Kelly's Cardio Blast Athletic Step 35 minutes, 255 calories. Total time was 57 minutes and calories burned 428. My neck and shoulder pain is worse. I called the doctors office and asked how the bruising and pain should last from that biopsy experience. I did read about others that had biopsy's in the neck area that had problems afterward that lasted for weeks. They just told me to put heat on it and give it time. I took more Advil yesterday than I care to take. I have been icing and using heat from the start. It really set it off when I lugged one of those 35 packs of water from Walmart into the car car, and refrigerator. I felt it in my neck when I picked it up and put it in the cart. So, I am thinking that is why it is worse.
I need to get started on dinner plans for this evening since my daughter and family will be here. I hope that I do not need to go to the store again. I have a ladies night dish to prepare for tomorrow night at my church. I was thinking of making extra casserole and putting it in the refrigerator for tomorrow.

Deb, I am liking my Fit Bit Blaze now that I am getting used to it. I do wish I could get it to work with the Polar app because I like it much better than the Map my Fitness app. I rally do like the lower body work on Kelly's Split sessions. I am not going extremely heavy right now with my neck and shoulder issues and that workout works well for me and I get a lot of hamstring and glute work out of it.

Lorie, it is beautiful and sunny here this morning. Even when we lived in the smaller cities the voting lines were pretty long. The last election the city we lived in seemed like it must not have had many voting places because the line out the door, and wrapped around the building. Also they had it roped and going back and forth. Plus a lot of people had lived there forever it seemed so they all knew each other. Yesterday was not too bad for me. I would imagine last night they were really busy though.

Last edited:
This has been an off day for me. I stayed up too late last night and I have been out of sorts all day. I went out this morning and did not feel like working out when I returned. I don't function well without enough sleep. I will get back on schedule tomorrow.

Diane Sue, I hope your neck is better today.

Hello to everyone.

I had to take drugs to get any rest last night. this is awful. ... I can't imagine what to look forward to. I am shocked, stunned, and horrified all at once. embarrassed and frightened too.

I did a 26 mile ride yesterday, and although I don't feel like it, I will do some kind of workout as soon as DH gets done.

Good evening ladies..

This morning was another jump workout. Followed up with JS 20 minute arms. I am surprised I was able to workout. I too was up late then up at 4:30 due to the time change. I have not adjusted well to it.

Diane Sue...hope your neck is better soon. I hurt my shoulder a few years back by carrying one of those 35 bottle water packs. I was loosely holding it by the plastic and one side ripped. I instinctively tried to compensate with my right arm to grab as it was falling and that did it. Did you get the results back? I am sorry if I missed it.

Deb...I am sure all will be fine with the bisopsy. My Dr. is extra cautious with me due to my family history. I have had 3 biopsys now and all have been fine. My 2 olders brothers had melonoma that were successfully removed with minimal scarring. My younger brother had a squamous on his bottom lip and ending up having 1/2 his lip removed. He did nothing even after repeated warnings from me. All is fine now and the plastic surgeon was amazing. You would never notice if you did not know this happened. He now goes for annual screens.

Well ladies...I was pretty depressed today too. I am in disbelief.

Lorie, are all of the Power Jump workouts in another language? They look like they would be fast paced and the music is fun. I did sort of giggle at one of them where there was shouting and they were all holding the handles jumping really fast with their feet wide apart. It just struck me as funny for some reason:) My lymph node biopsy came out clear of cancer. Still working on it though. Most of the swollen nodes have gone down. I can feel one
Any time ,y daughter can get one of us in her office she does a thorough skin check. I am pretty good at having her look if I notice something though. She has removed a skin cancer on my back and one in the crease on the side of my nos e. Both were small though. I have a white scar in the middle of my back now. I don't know how many times I injure myself in ways like you just described.

Hi Everyone,

Just getting caught up on all the posts. What a crazy week! I was also very surprised at how the election turned out. I was so sure that HC would get elected. I am in disbelief too.

Monday I did an aerobic base ride, yesterday was a rest day and today I did another aerobic base ride. I'm ready to get back into some strength work and take a few days off of riding.

Deb-Split Sessions is a good one. I think I will do a KCM and/or a JS workout tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to the new KCM workouts.

Lori-I hope your biopsy turns out ok. I had my annual skin exam in October. I think that is such an important thing to do.
You are doing so great with the jump workouts!

Valerie-I had to take a sleep aid last night too. We were up late watching the election and I couldn't get to sleep. I think I got less than 4 hours sleep last night.

Diane Sue-Great workouts! I'm sorry about your neck and shoulder pain. I hope it gets better soon. I hurt my low back carrying a large case of water a few years ago.

Lynda-It was a very unpleasant election season. I don't remember another one being this contentious.

Hi to Josie, Carolyn & Caitlin!

Judy

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. My friend called and I met her for lunch...then it was too late to get all sweaty...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Diane Sue, those packs of water are really heavy, I can see how they would strain your neck...that's great that the biopsy came back clear! :).

Lori, good that your doctor is cautious. The time change does that to people, but usually its when we lose an hour, not gain! 4:30 is my regular time to get up....sometimes it's even earlier. I just can't sleep much any more.

Judy, I am looking forward to the new KCM's as well. I have never had a full skin exam, I should probably start doing that too.

Hi to Josie, Lynda, Carolyn, & Valerie,

A workout, (hopefully), then more stuff around here.

Take care,

Good morning,
I had a good workout this morning and I feel great afterwards. I did Cardio Leg Blast (the full workout).

I've started working on my Thanksgiving menu to see what I can make ahead. I am determined to have a stress free holiday and to enjoy having my family around. My children and grandchildren will be here for Thanksgiving day then my brothers and their families will come over on Saturday. Lots of planning and prep, but I am looking forward to it.

Deb, how are you doing with the heartburn? Have you completely given up coffee?

I hope everyone is having a good day.

Today I put together premixes rom Kelly Coffey's workouts. I did Body Shop Lower premix, 19 minutes, 87 calories using 15 and 20 # dumbbells till the floorwork where I used an 8# behind my knee and 15's for the hip lifts. I then did Kelly's Body Circuits premix hi/lo lower, 31 minutes, 205 calories using 15 and 20# for the weight work. I finished with Kelly's Your Best Body Core/Yoga premix that includes the warm up, 22 minutes, 100 calories. Total workout was 72 minutes, 392 calories.

Judy, I can understand why the store clerks always say to leave the water in the cart. Could you imagine picking that up and putting it in the cart all of the time? I suppose a person would get used to it. It is more that I already had a problem before I picked I up. Heaving it up and over things changes it up a bit as well. They are just plain awkward. Are you still doing the challenge?

Deb, I rarely have a desire to workout later in the day or get sweaty all over again. Sweaty is a good excuse. Lunch with friends is much nicer anyway.

Carolyn, I usually make pie crust and freeze it and things like that before Thanksgiving. We used to al get out the good dishes and really go out, but over time it has become more of a tradition to use as much throw away stuff as possible we are not spending all of the time in the kitchen. It is much nicer visiting and playing games and stuff. Last year the grandchildren all cleaned up the kitchen stuff and hauled out the trash. I have a list of who is bringing what for dinner so I won't have to prepare everything.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.