Paper plates on carpet?

>I'll finally have a use for those gliding discs I bought eons
>ago! I bought this whole Mindy Mylrea package deal about a
>year ago, previewed the DVD, and put it away -- never to look
>at it again. I just didn't connect with Mindy and I couldn't
>get into her workout. My gliding discs are still in the
>plastic bag. :eek:

I feel the same way about my FIRM sculpting stick, which I use instead of the barbell (without weights) when I'm doing calf raises during GS Legs. While the ladies are removing the weights from their bars I just grab my FIRM sculpting stick and I'm glad that purchase wasn't a total waste, after all.

>bumping b/c I am still confused too about what to use on
>puzzle mats or rubber flooring :)

Gliding discs will work, but as I mentioned above, they offer more resistance than they would on carpet. Best is the gliding discs or paper plates on carpet, or rags/microfiber cloths/wood-floor gliding discs on wood or linoleum floor. You can get a cheap carpet remnant that's about 2 feet by 5 feet to use the discs on as well.

I don't know if paper plates work on the carpeting or not, and this is only because I have wood floors. I would think that they would. However, I have read about similiar concerns about the paper plates on the Video Collage website. This is in reference to a Susan Harris DVD (one of her newer ones) in which she uses paper plates to do some of her exercises. Some say they have problems, others don't. I think its Mindy Mylrea who has a DVD and those exercise things that are shaped like disks that are used like the paper plates. Actually, I think the paper plates were used in place of those plastic disks which I guess not too many people were aware of. If you want to look those disks up, I do believe its Mindy Mylrea and I have seen them on her website, just in case you're interested.;) Sorry if this message doesn't make sense, I have a seven month here and trying to multi task.

The discs Dorothy is referring to are Gliders...here is a link:

http://www.glidingdiscs.com/?gclid=CMy-7OjnqpECFRsRFQod0SSXeQ

They used to have the option of two diff types, one type was designed for carpet and the other was designed for wooden floors. I don't see the two diff options here? Maybe you get the option when you check out? I have Gliders and they work very well to get deep into the muscle.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Bumping again.

Any more comments on this issue. It seems that there are quite a few people who work out on puzzle mats, like me, and I'm a little concerned about this issue with the gliding. I have not preordered yet, I am still deciding based soley on this issue. I don't mind purchasing the discs, but I want to be fairly certain that they will work. Or if there is a better option for doing these exercises on puzzle mats, then I would love to hear it. I don't want to have to lug out a peice of linoleum or carpet onto my puzzle mats to do these workouts.

Please let me know of any other comments on this issue.

I use puzzle mats but I take them out and have to set them up every time I work out.

Then I realized that STS is not a cardio workout so I don't need the puzzle mats for non-cardio since there isn't likely to be any joint-jarring issue during STS.

I have hardwood floors (technically, just the floors that were under the carpets for the previous tenants!) so I'll be purchasing the gliding discs for hardwood floors.

I'm bumping this up again because I want to see what other people are planning to do about the issue of having puzzle mats. I really want to order these workouts but I am a little exasperated that now I have to have yet ANOTHER peice of equipment (gliding discs) and possibly different flooring to place on top of my puzzle mats, not to mention the fact that I will definetly need a few heavier dumbells. This is shaping up to be quite a commitment in terms of $ as well as time and effort spent moving and reorganizing my workout setup. Sorry If I sound like I am complaining but I'm not sure I am going to buy these because of it. I already have all the equipment for all of the workouts already. I'll have to think long and hard about this one. STS sounds awesome though!

Hi. I have puzzle mats, too, in my workout space, and I already ordered STS. I'm really not that worried about it. I've read all sorts of ideas on the forum, from using a rag to paper or plastic plates to leftover pieces of linoleum. These are all items I should be able to find in the house, and I'm sure they'll slide over the puzzle mats. I don't see this as an extra financial expenditure. I've also read some great ideas about adding wrist and ankle weights to dumbells/barbells to get small increases, so I'm not really worried about an expenditure there either. I guess my opinion is STS sounds SO worth it, and I just don't expect the puzzle mats to be a problem. In fact, I'm excited about doing leg exercises where your leg slides, as, with my puzzle mats, sometimes they shift when I'm doing lunges and I don't like that. Anyway, you make great points, but as a fellow puzzle mat user, I really don't see a big issue with using plastic plates or a rag or something similar to slide my foot on. I'm really excited about STS and expect I can make adjustments as needed with items found around the house.

Paper plates will work just fine on the puzzle mats - I used them all the time when doing P90X pushups - worked like a charm - and just the cheap paper plates. I see no need to buy special disks for a few exercises when paper plates work perfectly....

http://www.glidingdiscs.com/?gclid=CKWZ4JLuxJECFUaPOAodDAv4mg

cheap gliders plus a dvd to go with it, bonus. It is only $9.99 for a VHS tape but I think $12.99 for DVD. I know paper plates might be cheaper, but these are probably a little thicker and more durable than paper plates.

I saw them used on the fitness chanel awhile back ago. I forgot the shoe's name but they tested gagets in people's home and then they rated them. The people were allowed to keep the products once they were done using them. They rated Tae Bo, Blow Flex, these gliders (link above) and some other things. The show with the gliders rated the item pretty good.

I went ahead and orderd them. Even if Cathe doesn't use this option in STS, at least I have a new balance challenge for the abs and butt. YIKES

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.