P90X style with Cathe?

Shaz

Cathlete
I have only just started finding out about the P90X videos, and am very interested. My understanding is that if you want to build strength/muscle, you choose a heavy weight and stop at 8-12 reps and rest while the people in the video carry on for longer. Is this correct? My question is, has anyone tried doing this with any Cathe workouts, eg Push Pull or MIS? Any thoughts?

It is a little harder with MIS/Push pull because the music is at tempo and lots of times Cathe does that one count up-three counts down stuff. At what point do you just turn the video off and have your own workout?? Funny how we are all afraid to do that!!!

P90X was a fitness investment for me. I suppose I COULD HAVE done that with MIS or PP, but these videos rock. They are a superb addition to Cathe and you will not be sorry if you order them. When you say "carry on for longer" it is not very long at all. You barely have enough time to get a sip of water if you are doing 8 reps. If I had not seen everyone on Cathe's forum recommending these, I would not have touched them. If you are here, and you LOVE Cathe workouts for their intensity, you NEED P90X.

Oh gosh. There I go sounding like a commercial again. Me and Kathryn.:)

"At what point do you just turn the video off and have your own workout?? Funny how we are all afraid to do that!!!"

...That is really true!

I will buy the P90X DVDs if I can get them to deliver to the UK (waiting for a reply from them), but I think it may take a while (4-6 weeks). I plan to work on pushups and pullups in the mean time, plus I'm going to try going heavier with Push Pull for a while, then maybe Slow Heavy.

Just to add to Janice's comment, P90X didn't just arrive out of thin air. It had been tested for awhile on real people designed by experts, to see what worked. The series is designed to go together as a complete set. That is why CardioX may not be as intense as Cathe's workouts. When you put the whole series together, then you understand why it was made that way. You can tell the designers knew what they were doing.
Cathe's workouts are more endurance, circuit and high intensity step. While this type of workout definately has a place in one's workouts, P90X is a strength training workout, and a much needed one I might add.
Cathe's Slow Heavy is the closest I can see to P90X in order to get this kind of strength gains. Cathe's other workouts can be modified to fit the P90X formula but.... there would be alot of push start and stop buttons. There are moves on the P90X that work my legs harder without having to tote a 50# or more barbell on my back.

P90X is a different style of workouts that is on the market today. It is not for beginners. There is a fitness test one is asked to do before starting. and..... The variety of push ups and the pull ups works the back and chest different than dumbells can do. Even by using the bands over my power tower, this is working different chest and upper body muscles.

P90X.... It just may change some lines on thought on how one works out. Perhaps it will even change the industry. I sure know it changed my way of thinking.
It is based on the way Olympians or athletes train.... 3 or so months of strength, and then a month or less of cardio just before the event to define the muscles.
6 days of workout, 1 day of rest or stretch.
I would never have thought that I...me personally, would stay on a rotation for 90 days.
But... my two hours of workouts before, 1 cardio and then a weight, circuit or endurance, my body peaked. I thought that just by rotating all my Cathe's I would get the look I wanted. Yet... All the endurance and cardio was not allowing my muscles to grow or to have any strength gains because the too fast pace was burning up what I was trying to build! Now I'm only working out an hour and I'm really worked after the session.

Now....I'm getting somewhere as I now know what to do to tweak my workouts.
Guess I sound like an infomercial too. :)

Wanda, very good job...great infomercial :7 :7 :7 . I've been busy the last two weeks so I'm sure I've missed some great P90X threads, but just to add...you need them, even with the new Cathe DVD's coming...you still need them. As you said, well thought out, tested and proven.

I've always had problems now and then with my neck and back and with the addition of yoga and stretch (which I hate, but am learning to appreciate), I haven't had the glitches anymore. I'm MUCH more flexible. I was slacking off on stretching with my Cathe rotations, but realize that it's VERY needed. I hope Cathe puts LOTS of stretch time including the ballistic stretches within the new workouts.

Janice...have you come to the part where Tony asks Phil if he's getting in "his space". This is like my favorite "dialogue" in the whole series and Phil became my favorite P90X grad :7 :7 LOL

Briee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.