Osteopath

suzannaerin

Cathlete
Hi - I just wanted to get input from any of you who have seen an osteopath. I've had all sort of alignment problems, which have caused injuries/muscle imbalances/etc. Anyway, I finally decided to do some prevention and saw an osteopath, at the advice of a good friend. Today, I had my first appointment and all I will say is WHEW. He cracked my lower back and neck but good, but "put everything back where it's supposed to be." My examination determined that my pelvis, neck and back were all out of whack (resulting in nerve pain in my quad and sporadic lower back pain). Anyway, I felt really strange afterward -- which he said is normal -- and they made me walk around before driving home so everything would settle into place.
He said it would be OK to workout tomorrow, but I was wondering if any of you have had osteopathic treatment and how it affected your workouts. I want to correct this alignment problem for good, so I'm willing to do whatever is necessary to resolve it. Any advice?
I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks, Suzanne

I haven't been to an Osteopath but I have had (and continue to have) Chiropractic and Cranio Sacral Therapy. Most of the time I feel just fine after a Chiropractic treatment but occasionally I've come away feeling a bit spaced out or worked out. Some types of treatment can leave you feeling a bit awkward but you should not feel pain especially during the treatment. Cranio Sacral Therapy on the other hand is bliss. I feel so relaxed that I feel like I could literally float all the way home :) I also feel light-headed afterward and very thirsty but this is normal for CST. I've never worked out after having Chiropractic/CST but I've worked out before an appointment and found that my body responded more positively to treatment if I have time to get a workout done before (and a shower of course! :) ) Occasionally, I feel my body needs some more settling in time (I don't rest but stay active without actually working out) so I may wait two days after a treatment. YMMV I would ask your Osteopath for a recommendation, if you're at all unsure.
I know it's not the same thing but I hoped my experiences might be close enough to yours to help.
ATB,
- Lisa :)

Hi Suzanne,

I've had many osteopathic treatments. I agree you should not feel pain from the treatments, although I will sometimes get headaches after having my head or neck done because in my case, I release alot of toxins in these areas and they cause headaches. I never had a problem working out the next day as long as I felt up to it. As with anything, listen to your body and if you feel like working out and get the ok from your doctor, then go ahead.

My experience is very positive with osteopathic adjustments. I've had back problems and spasms for years and they only began to repair with the treatments. The only thing I would say is to be aware that if your spine has been in the incorrect position for a long time, putting it in the correct position can cause other areas to feel odd or you might feel like you are having pain in other areas. If any of that occurs, talk to your doctor to make sure everything is ok. And, I always feel strange afterward, light-headed also.

I think if you have proper treatment, it will only enhance your workouts. That has been my experience.

Laura

Thanks for the responses. My body has been out whack for a long time, and I have a slight case of scoliosis. It was amazing how much taller I felt after my treatment. My lower back has been a tad sore, but it's more of a discomfort than out and out pain. I was able to work out Saturday, but I decided not to do standing leg work (saturday is my leg strenth workout) because I didn't want to put the barbell on my shoulders. Today I rowed and for once, the right side of my lower lumbar area wasn't screaming!!!
I'm going back this week---going to schedule my appt for Thursday because Friday is my rest day. :) Thanks again, Suzanne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.