online calorie calculators

Kath

Cathlete
I just visited dietitian.com which someone recommended in another post, and fitday.com, to see what they say my daily calorie intake should be. The answers range from 2400-3200 calories a day. Imagine 3200 calories a day, haha! I'd be in hog heaven. Seriously, I have not found the answer to how many calories or WW points for that matter I should eat to maintain or lose. What I do instead is eat too low for a few days, then overeat in a major way for a day or two, then eat low again...if I can just find the right number I think I won't get so starving and then binge. Is there a source of info out there that anyone has found to be pretty accurate for them? To give you an example, I seem to wilt on less than 2000 calories a day, which sounds like piggsville to me, but that's how it is. I lift three days and do 50 minutes of cardio three days each week. How do all of you do it?

That's the big question these days! I was carefully (and somewhat obsessively) eating 1600 calories and working out vigorously. Worked okay for a few days, then I was starved and all I could think about was food! The problem is I am trying to lose my tummy fat and I can't see how I can eat 1800 to 2000 calories and do that. I think the key is balancing it out. Eating a little more on vigorous workout days and cutting back on less vigorous days? I am still trying to figure the correct formula out! There's a slide show on the web which gives information on the thermic effect of food which is another aspect of metabolism. It takes x amount of calories to break down your foods so you can subtract 6 to 10% from your total intake based on that. I'll bookmark the site. It's cool calculator from a nutrition class.

B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/twinkle.gif obbi

You could always talk to a registered dietician/nutrionist. They assess your individual needs (how much you work out, what you like/do not like to eat, how strenuous your job is, other lifestyle factors) and recommend appropriate caloric needs. Those online calculators are pretty general.

To find a registered dietician near you check out:

http://www.eatright.org

This is the American Dietetic Association's website

marnie

Thanks Bobbi, that online calorie calculator was probably the most accurate one I've seen yet, I bookmarked it. It came up with 2185 calories a day for me if I weighed 115--I currently weigh 119.

I appreciate the info! Now I can aim my points/calories a little higher and be more realistic and maybe get off the rollercoaster. That's like 40 weight watchers points, no wonder I was a food obsessed maniac after a few days of 28-30 points.

Kath

nutritionists

Thanks for posting this- I was wondering the same thing! Yesterday, I checked fitnessmagazine.com and their calculation was such a low # (it didn't consider activity or anything).

I've been to 2 nutritionists and didn't learn much, so make sure you get a good one who caters to you. Before you go, make sure you're ready to change- I went because I was eating junk food at night (I'm eating pizza now at 11pm!), but since I didn't want to change yet, it was a waste.

Also, if you belong to a gym, they usually have free nutritional counseling.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.