Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today. Already a member? Simply log in above.

1. Ripped with HiiT Presale

one armed tricep dips

Discussion in 'Cathe Video & DVD Questions and Comments' started by WRITER, Dec 9, 2004.

1. WRITER Cathlete

I'm curious about how many people are able to do the one armed tricep dips on High Step Training Advanced? I have to do them with both arms. Those of you who are able, do you tend to do the upper body workouts with a lot of weight? Just curious.

2. Tesla Active Member

OHMYGOD THESE KILL!
    I can't do as many as Cathe does before I have to use both arms. That workout wipes me out anyway. For my usual upper body workouts, I can pretty much use the weights that Cathe uses.
    Do you find this workout to be particularly challenging? I do, even though it is one of the shorter ones. Lately I've been doing the premixes, and saving the high step part for a separate workout. IT STILL KILLS!
    Lisa

3. desertbriez Banned

i do them... they are quite wicked though!

i use the weight cathe uses except i use 15 for step ups instead of 10.. i LOVE hsta! it's one of my faves (just after the gauntlet and viper!)

4. Soosan Cathlete

I do them with no arms.:p

5. TarHeelMom Cathlete

6. mtnmom99 Cathlete

Everyone is different. I had no problem with the one arm dips. But I can keep up with Cathe weight-wise for back and triceps. I'm still in awe of her for biceps, shoulder, and chest. I mean HOLY COW! When she does pec flies in PUB with 20#!!!!

Then again, I didn't have problems with pikes on the ball either. But I'm totally wiped doing some of the side plank work she does - like in ME where she has the med ball on her side and raises and lowers. Forget the med ball - I have my arm on the ground trying to help push myself up! But no one else ever mentions this move, so I suspect that I must be weaker than most in that area. There's a similar move in L&G - side glute raises - I can only do half of what Cathe does.

She is definitely an inspiration!

Diane

7. KarenL Cathlete

Thats funny!:p

8. Soosan Cathlete

RE: Hey Soosan!

He used to modify by employing his tail, but he can do them sans tail now.

Even squirrels realize there's no shame in modifying a difficult move. Chances are, if you keep at it, you'll get it eventually. (Just thought I'd add a moral.;-) )

9. desertbriez Banned

she certainly IS an inspiration!

sometimes i feel bad posting that i can do the workouts as is the first time through.. so far the only thing i've modified and continue to modify are the straddle steps cuz i got a sharp pain in my knee and have been leary of them since.. haven't given them a second chance... i just do them from behind!

i've actually been disappointed in workouts (i.e. pushpull/supersets) cuz i had already mastered viper and gauntlet before trying them!

i still remember how afraid i was of bootcamp cuz of all the posts about not getting through it and how gawd-awful it was... i LOVED it and did it all the way through.. do i do it more easily now, after doing it a bunch of times.. yes... but was it the horrible workout i had anticipated due to the threads here, at ya ya's and VF? nope!

so yes.. each person is different and each person is at a different level of fitness...

i know a lot of the posts make me feel like superwoman.. and i know i'm not! i've got a long way to be "cathe 2"... but i do cathe cuz everyone else is too easy (and i'm REALLY REALLY looking forward to being challenged in hardcore!)

10. Alhambra Cathlete

When I first did High Step Training Advanced I could only do two one armed tricep dips and then would have to switch to both arms. Now I can do all but the last two with one arm. I've increased the tricep weights during the same training period. I found gradually increasing the number of one armed dips worked for me, although some days I seemed to go backwards. This week I pulled my wee ones (3 and 5 years old) in the sleigh for 80 minutes. Later that same day I could only do half of the one armed triceps in the workout before my triceps screamed for mercy.

11. fit_fairy Cathlete

I modify- I've worked my way up from doing 2 arm dips to 1 arm dips but I can't seem to get that leg out yet!! Something else to work towards. It's taken me months just to get here.

catherine

12. FiddleFit Cathlete

Does anyone else find their quad gets worked doing this move, too? Or am I able to all the dips because I am cheating by using my leg a bit?

Sandra

13. Mephie Member

While I can do them all, this is the segment on HSTA I always dread the most. The first time I did the workout, I toughed it out and did them all, though for the last two or three reps I found myself putting the other arm on my thigh for a bit of support. (And yes, Sandra, I feel it in the quad, too.)

I've been doing the workout in my current rotation once a week for about 4 weeks now, and I've already noticed that they're much easier than that first time. Still super-challenging, but do-able. Now the hover squats are becoming my "most dreaded" part of HSTA, although those are much easier than they used to be, too. That's one of the things I love about working out with Cathe. I see improvements in my strength and stamina with her that I rarely see with anyone else's workouts.

Mephie

14. FiddleFit Cathlete

Thanks, Mephie. It's hard not to "cheat" at times, even though I try to be vigilant about it. Glad to know the quad is meant to be working, too. And I completely agree with you about the hover squats. I am groaning my way through the last set; they burn! They are the "dreaded moment" for me in that workout. The tricep dips aren't so bad, but I think that's because they're done so soon at the start of the workout; they're over and done with almost immediately.

Sandra

15. melissa0528 Cathlete

I can do them. I do not usually go as heavy as Cathe on my upper body work. I only have dumbells up to 15 #'s so I adjust my weight work up to that. I never do as much on biceps as her. Usually triceps I do. Chest I usually try to match. Back try to match too. I also usually try to do Cathe rotations so I do not do upper body any more than she suggests in her rotations.:D

16. WRITER Cathlete

I've appreciated the responses. I've always been much stronger on and cardio and lower body (my "superwoman" arena would be leg presses!), but I've seen improvements in my push-ups over time. I'm glad to read some of you have successfully worked up to the the one - arm dips --- someday maybe I will too! By the way, I too found Boot Camp (and K,P,C) to be much less daunting than I thought they would be. I find it interesting to see how different people connect (or don't) differently to certain workouts!

17. JMFRANE Cathlete

I'm another one that can't do as many as Cathe. But, I will someday. Right now, I trade off and do some on the left then right then go back to the left, etc.

Joanne