? on Glute Bridges ... barbell v dumbell

Debinmi

Cathlete
I noticed in STS2.0 LB#2, that Cathe uses a 35# dumbbell while the crew uses a barbell between 55 & 65#. Is there a reason to use a lighter weight if you use a Db vs a higher weight if using a BB? The 1st time I did the workout I didn't notice the weight disparity & set my BB to 35#, which was too light. Today I set it higher & that’s when i noticed the crew using the BB as heavy as when they do hip thrusts in other workouts. Just wondering .... Is it because the weight is so concentrated with a Db on your hip vs a bar? But you're still lifting the entire weight....

I don't have a Db heavy enough to experiment. Thanks for any insights ...
Thanks

That's a good question. I wonder what the weight of the Db is that Jen uses in Giant Sets and LB#1 when she's demoing it. I don't have a barbell so only use my Select-Tech weights. They're not as "chunky" as the dumbbells Cathe and crew are using, and I do find that the edges start to dig into my hips a bit, and I've been using 35#. I've not tried heavier yet, if only for the reason of trying to heft it into my lap. I'm still trying to figure out proper padding for those as I don't have anything like the mini mat to use.

I tried 2 dumbells but it was very awkward so I'm using a barbell, but it is very hard to get on my hips.
You are not kidding... Cathe even says something about the limiting factor of lifting those weights into position. But you gave me an idea . .. I have 2 25# plates ... I'm wondering if there might be enough space if I put them on my smaller barbell to just roll the bar over my legs ... I usually use them with my heavier BB, which is 6 feet, so I haven't given them a thought until now .... hmmmm ... I may try this next time cuz glutes can handle a lot of weight ....

I use a 38lb barbell with a barbell pad. I don't feel ready to go heavier yet. At that weight I can lift it into position, but it would be a problem with a heavier barbell. I notice that Cathe has her barbell stored on step risers to the side when she's not using it so maybe you could use step risers to prop the barbell up on to give some extra height to slide your legs under. Alternatively, if you are strong enough to use bigger plates, then you may be able to roll it over your legs.

You are not kidding... Cathe even says something about the limiting factor of lifting those weights into position. But you gave me an idea . .. I have 2 25# plates ... I'm wondering if there might be enough space if I put them on my smaller barbell to just roll the bar over my legs ... I usually use them with my heavier BB, which is 6 feet, so I haven't given them a thought until now .... hmmmm ... I may try this next time cuz glutes can handle a lot of weight ....
Give it a try and let us know what you think

I saw a product like this being advertised during Prime Days...hmmm...how much weight does it hold?
I can hear you now…..”Amazon, I have an order”….LOL :)……but that is an interesting
item, isn’t it? What they won’t come up with!! Hmm…..wonder what I could rig up :)
Fortunately, that doesn’t get me excited…I guess because I just do the glute bridges with dumbbell and not the real hip thrusts.

I can hear you now…..”Amazon, I have an order”….LOL :)……but that is an interesting
item, isn’t it? What they won’t come up with!! Hmm…..wonder what I could rig up :)
Fortunately, that doesn’t get me excited…I guess because I just do the glute bridges with dumbbell and not the real hip thrusts.
Ha ha ha, I was Mcgivering ideas when I saw it on Amazon
... :D

I've done the hip thrusts with a barbell but my barbell is an Olympic curl one I bought years ago at Dick's Sporting Goods because it was a short bar. I found because it is not a straight bar I have not been able to pad it sufficiently and the curve in the bar makes it impossible to use comfortably for the thrusts or glute bridges. The heaviest dumbbell I have is 40 lbs so I've used this instead but I'm really considering buying Cathe's barbell. 40 lbs is ok but the beauty of the barbell is you can put more weight on it and make the moves way more effective. I feel like I'm cheating with just 40 lbs.

40 lbs is ok but the beauty of the barbell is you can put more weight on it and make the moves way more effective.
I think that would be a worthwhile investment. I found there was a bit of a learning curve to get myself in the right position and do the move properly but once I figured it out, I was able to increase my weight. I started with around 38lbs on my barbell but last time I did about 45lbs and next time I will try 50lbs. Note my weight is the total weight including the barbell weight. I wish I could get Cathe's barbell but shipping costs for something like that are too much. Also, I already have 3 barbells, a lighter Don Oliver one, a 5ft standard one with spin locks and a standard EZ curl one with spin locks.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.