Not ready for intermediate rotation yet???

Dear Cathe,

I am just finishing the beginner, intermediate rotation using the Basic Step DVD and the Low Impact Step DVD, I have printed a rotation off the website that you are suggesting to use after this rotation. Long story short, I don't feel that Iam ready for such a hard rotation. Is there another rotation you would recommend maybe using the High Step Circuit DVD, love that one. By the way I have to add that I am just coming back to you after a long layover. You always kick my butt and make me glad of it after :eek:. Thank you so much for making all these workouts!

Patricia

I am kind of where you are to! I have many Cathe DVDs, but have gotten way out of shape in the last year and I find my fitness level is just not up for Boot Camp/ Muscle Endurance. Although, I LOVE that DVD. The High Step Circuit is more my level. I love this video. The stability ball abs is also a favorite. I did this one just this morning and feel like I've done a good job working at my own level and not killing myself. For me, the bigger thing is just sticking to a healthier diet and losing some of this weight. Then I may feel more up to the advanced workouts. Also I have two left feet so the complicated choreography can put me out as well. I sprained my ankle when I fell off my step once. I'm clumsy. It goes without saying that we all love Cathe and appreciate all her hard work. She totally chose the right career and we're all so happy that she did!

Hi Ladies:

I could have written your posts as well... I just started getting back into my fitness journey this past August and found Cathe on FitTV... I would by no means consider myself an advanced exerciser, but as Cathe has a limited number of intermediate workouts, I find myself just pacing myself during most of her workouts! I just do what I can do, and eventually over time I am able to do more and more each time I do the workout... I just have to keep making it a point to tell myself that I am not going to get discouraged for not being able to keep up with Cathe... she has been doing this a LOT longer than I have, but she is definatley something to aspire to.

Snitker: I also stay away from ANYTHING step! I have one, but use it for a weight bench and some EASY basic steps, and totally agree with you about the High Step! It is one of my FAV's. I just got HSTraining, but have only been able to do it once... knee troubles for a bit, but LOVE all of those workouts!

so, I guess to sum it up for me... I just adjust the advanced workouts and do what I can and push myself to do more, even it if is just one more rep the next time... it will add up eventually and some day... some day I will finish each and every one of those workouts AS PRODUCED! :) and that's what I look forward to... Embrace the challenge! ;)

ETA: I ordered STS before any other Cathe workout because I LOVED the fact that you could start just where YOU were physically with the proper weights (per the 1RM testing) and you can be any level... I also love her other weight workouts, such as Pyramids and GymStyles because you can use the weights that are appropriate for you and still get the complete benefit of a great workout!

Last edited:
Not Cathe, obviously, but I can relate. I started back working out hard a year ago after 2 years of treatment for breast cancer. My body was very weak and out of shape!! I actually started out with the easier Firm workouts - I still have the classic Firms and many others. They are not easy - but they are easier than Cathe!!

The thing is - and this is just my opinion - you have to kind of take the leap to the higher levels when you don't think you are ready. It's scary - I really know. But nothing can truly prepare you for going to the next level. No matter what, it's a little painful. And not painful in a bad way - just body soreness and some difficult workouts that you just don't like with lactic acid buildup that makes you want to scream - and you only have done a few reps :eek:. LOL!

For me - once I did BS and BF for awhile along with my Firms, I went to ME. I used LIGHT weights - often no more than 3 lb dumbbells throughout. And I only did half the exercises at first. I did it once a week with lots of modifications. I added the Pyramid series also because I could use whatever weights worked for me. I highly recommend these workouts because they are SO straightforward - and start with just the Pyramid UP - don't try to do both UP and DOWN at first.

Regarding step - I am the clutz queen - but I decided that if I wanted to capitalize on Cathe, I needed to try to learn step. So I got Cardio and Weights and IMAX2 - yes that sounds crazy. But I would do only segments at first - and I would just hit the slow motion button and do it over and over again until I could get it. I can do them now. And you know, when I was learning them, I got a good intermediate workout by having to repeat the same segments with lots of breaks as I learned step. I would only be able to get through a few of the segments - not the whole DVD at first.

I am now able to complete ME and Pyramids (up and down) and BootCamp (when I dare). I can do IMAX2 and can manage stepping in ways I didn't think I could. I think my point is that, like I tell my students at the university, learning is painful when you are trying to go to the next level of education. There is no easy way to advance. I think it's the same thing with advancing to the next level of fitness. And really - I think that it isn't your body that is the issue - I think it's MENTAL TOUGHNESS. It's truly our MINDS that get our bodies to do what we want them to do.

YOU CAN DO IT!! And of course, all of the above is just my opinion - to be ignored if desired LOL!! :rolleyes:

Lisa

Hi Ladies,
Thank you for all your suggestions, Lisa I think you hit it on the head, it is mental, I also love Imax 2, one of my favorites, I also do the same thing with the cardios to learn the new foot work, but I do love step!! So I guess I am not alone out there. Thanks for all your input, appreciate all the ideas.

Which DVD's next?

Whad DVD's would you suggest after the beginner 3? I am about week 7 in the beginner rotation and are wondering what to buy next? Leaning towards low max, wondering about STS (212 pushups? I can do about 25 and that is in 2 sets). I just love Cathe but don't know where to go from here.

Whad DVD's would you suggest after the beginner 3? I am about week 7 in the beginner rotation and are wondering what to buy next? Leaning towards low max, wondering about STS (212 pushups? I can do about 25 and that is in 2 sets). I just love Cathe but don't know where to go from here.

I think Cathe recommends Cardio and Weights as a good next step. It is on the DVD with Imax 2, which you may want to work your way up to. Supersets/Push Pull is a good one for weights. Kick, Punch and Crunch/ Legs and Glutes is another good next step. You get some awesome Leg work and KPC is a fun KB tape (use premixes until you are ready to do the whole thing). LowMax would be a good one as well. That is a bit more intense than Low Impact Step and it is longer. Again, premixes are your friend!:cool:

STS is set to your fitness level with the 1RM testing, so if you are interested in that, don't be afraid! You can always modify if needed, esp pushups, do them onto the step on your knees. It makes them a bit easier.

Have fun shopping!

Thanks Becca

Thanks, I appreciate the recommendations and especially how you broke them down for me. It is great to hear from people who have worked their way through the DVD's instead of just reading descriptions of the workouts.

I have to also add that I have been using Rythmic Step alot lately. Love that workout and it is fun, so that is one that I will be using when I am finished the last 5 week, plus I have added High step circuit in too!! ha! I think I am going to used the Cardio and Weights, plus Muscule Endurance, workouts after as well. I have also been leaning towards using the CTX series for a few weeks as well, too many workouts too little time, can't wait to be able to do Slow and Heavy again, oh and don't forget Imax 2, my all time favorite Cathe workouts!:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.