Not in such great shape check-in? Anyone interested?

amybajamy

Cathlete
I have just gotten back into doing Cathe videos since I received my STS Cardio DVDs. I've been away for almost 2 years and I'm not in good shape at all. My cardio capacity is terrible. Anyway I'm really looking forward to changing that, mostly with the STS Cardio which I've been doing and they are really HARD! I love them though! Anyway I'm just wondering if there are others out there who aren't in great shape yet and would like to participate in a check-in where we can follow each other's progress and support/motivate each other. It seems like most of the people on this forum are in excellent shape and I'm in the minority. Is there anyone else out there like me?

Amy

ETA: We've started a weekly check-in called "not in great shape, but getting there". Newcomers please join us there and tell us about yourself! We'll be starting a new thread every Saturday.

Last edited:
Hi Amy,

I'm in the same situation as you, though I don't use Cathe's videos exclusively, and I don't have anything newer than the hardcore series. Yes, that is how long I've let my fitness slide.

Right now I'm struggling with exercise consistency. I'm struggling to get in even three workouts a week. Last night I made it a point to carve out some time and did the High step challenge timesaver #1. I had to modify the cardio down, way down both because of cardio capacity and because I was concerned my core wasn't strong enough to stabilize some of the moves properly

Right now my goals are to get in 3 45-60 min workouts a week, including one high intensity, a la Cathe, and 10-20 minutes of stretching/yoga a day.

How are you doing? What are your goals?

Jen

Hi Jen,

I'm aiming for 3 workouts a week too. I have 4 days off a week and would like to workout on all of them and that's what I'm going to try to do, but it seems like I always have a day where I don't find the time, so my goal is at least 3 days. My other goals are to increase my cardio capacity and lose weight. I'm doing strength training too, but I want to concentrate on cardio for now. Right now I'm having a lot of foot pain and I'mng to see my podiatrist on Tuesday. I think he'll probably give me a cortisone shot. I was exercising through the pain anyway, but now I've made it really bad and can't do the high impact cardio for now. Today I'm going to do the leg workout and core workout from the 4 day split.

Do you have plans to buy any of the newer Cathe workouts? Buying the STS cardio series is what got me back into exercsing. Of course it also did a number on my foot! Are you going to workout today?

Amy

Hi Amy,

Did you get the 4DS lower body core workout done? Good choice if you can't jump.

Your foot sounds painful. I hope the doctor on Tuesday can help. I actually went to the doctor last Tuesday because I had hurt my neck/shoulder muscles from exercise. Thankfully it is getting better on its own, but I'm having to treat it gingerly and stretch a lot. Now that I am "no longer young", I wonder about how to balance wanting to be more fit and not wanting to damage my body.

For me, yesterday was one of those days that something got in the way. While eating breakfast, I found pretty much the exact piece of furniture we need on craigslist, so that took priority. And then friends came over. We did go for a walk in the park - 3.5-4 miles and with hills, but it wasn't the same. Sigh. Last week was only 2 workouts for me :-( and only two days of stretching. I know I can do better.

Today my goal is to do a circuit workout. Not sure how intense as my calves are still sore from the calf work in HSC last Thursday!

I would love to get some of the newer workouts! But it just not a priority because I'm not bored with the ones I have yet. 4DS is at the top of my list. Do you like the workouts? They seem versatile and great if your target workout time is no more than 60 minutes. You know, I never even considered the STS Cardio. I just assumed it would be out of my league. I'll have to look more into it. I'm happy to hear it's been motivating for you.

Good luck meeting your goals today.
Jen

Hey Jen,

I'm glad your muscle injuries are getting better on their own! Did you do your circuit workout? My calf muscles tend to stay sore for a long time too.

I did do the lower body and core workout from 4DS yesterday. I love 4DS! My legs are sore today, but abs really aren't which surprised me because it was a tough workout and it was painful at the time. Maybe I'll have DOMS tomorrow. Today I did the upper body portion of Travel Fit. Tomorrow I'm going to try to do the kickbox section of 4DS. I'll see how that is for my foot. It will still hurt I'm sure just from standing on it, but hopefully it won't be too bad. I can't stand to not exercise because of an injury.

I know what you mean about being older and not wanting to get injured. I did a step workout last week and it hurt my knees, so I don't think I'll do step until I lose some weight. Wow I do sound old with my sore foot and sore knees! STS cardio is out of my league, but I just do what I can. I've only tried 5 of the workouts so far.

Which workouts do you do besides Cathe?

Amy

Hi Amy,

I did Cardio and Weights from the Intensity series today. My mini-goal was to get through the workout without pausing to catch my breath and to do all the reps using one dumbbell weight lighter than shown. I did have to take one short break in the middle, but did make the weights goal, even the overhead presses for the first time in a long time.

Good going getting in workouts two days in a row! Isn't it funny how unpredictable soreness is? Your abs must be stronger than you think. How does 4DS kickbox compare with Cathe's other kickboxing workouts? I like how easy it is to modify impact in kickbox in general.

As for other workouts, I've gone through phases. I used to really be into the Firm, but not right now for some reason. I also used to to do a lot of dancy cardio, Christy Taylor and other CIA instructors, but again, now, not so much. Lately, I've been drawn to Cathe, pilates/yoga/fusion type workouts and, oddly given how boring I used to find it, the elliptical trainer. I think I am looking for no nonsense workouts now.

Take care of your foot and have fun with kickbox tomorrow. I'm unlikely to get in a major workout, hopefully some stretching or yoga.

Jennifer

Hi Jen,

Great job with C&W! That's a great goal to be able to do the workout without rest breaks. That's my biggest irritation with myself is that I'm unable to do that with most of Cathe's workouts. I always take rests in between the more intense parts because I want to be able to give all parts of the workout my all. I don't know if that's what I should be doing though or if I should just keep plugging away for as long as I can. I don't know what would increase cardio capacity better.

I did 4DS kickbox and it's by far my favorite Cathe kickboxing workout! Partly because it's shorter than most of them, LOL! Compared to KM and KPC I think it qualifies as a no nonsense workout, so you would probably like it. It gets the job done in 37 minutes, it's not longwinded and it's fun. It really works the core too. KM and KPC aren't my favorites. I think they're too long. I prefer Kickbox from cross train xpress and cardio kicks and like I said 4DS is my favorite. I just love, love, love that workout! I haven't done MMA kickbox, fusion, or boxing from STS yet.

I'll have to see how I feel tomorrow to decide which workout I will do. I'm kind of exhausted today. Right after I did my workout, the neighbor brought his kids over to go sledding in our yard, so I took my son sledding and walked up our big steep hill over and over again. I'll probably just do calves which I've been neglecting and core. Maybe I'll do some kickbox again. Is it bad to do kickboxing 2 days in a row?

So how about you? What's on the agenda for you on Tuesday?

Hi Amy,

You probably got calf work in from walking up your big hill! Exercise and fun with kids is a good combination. How old is your son?

I don't think it's bad to do kickboxing two days in a row, but when I'm exhausted, I think focusing on core can be just as useful for overall fitness. Was your foot ok today? I hope the doctor can give you relief tomorrow.

I'll take your comments as endorsement of 4DS Kickbox! Keep raving about 4DS and I'm sure to buy it. I do like KM though. I've used the low impact premix a lot; all the jumping jacks challenge my cardio capacity. I'm all about small victories, so aiming for taking shorter breaks getting further through a workout without taking a break really motivates me to do my best. I've also wondered what's the best strategy for increasing fitness.

I did manage to fit in 20 minutes of yoga, which was clearly a good thing, because although I'm not sore, I could tell how tight my muscles are by how the stretches were feeling. I'm going to do some sort of lower impact cardio tomorrow and core. OK, I've told someone, so now I have to do it rather than getting lost in all the errands I have to run after work.

Jennifer

I'm in!

Hi.
I'm interested in joining this!
I stopped working out late August of last year, due to moving my children and myself out of the home. I didn't mean to stop, but after leaving a 10 year marriage, I just stopped.
I've lost almost 30 lbs in 5 months, not really eating. This week I've barely managed 300-700 cals a day! I know, bad!
Anyway, I've decided that I want to get back into it. I keep trying, and end up only getting a workout or two in a week, and stop again.
I'm hoping y'all can help get me back on track.
The divorce has been horrible, and he only makes it worse with his games and lies, which I keep letting get to me.
I have really gotten out of shape, and want to be ready and looking great for summer (my landlord has given me permission to use the pool and the boat! not to mention invites to go on lots of floating trips this summer!) And now my dear friend has informed me that she wants me to be her bride's maid this July, and the dress is strapless! (HELP!)
The weird part is that I see more muscle tone now than I did before I left. I know it's from dropping the last of the fat layer (but now about 15 lbs under weight) but I also know that you loose muscle when you dont eat enough.
I really dont like cardio, I like kickboxing though.
My biggest problem is just pushing play right now. I want to do it, I just don't. I let other things get in the way.
Sorry, rambling.
I need all the help I can get right now!
Liberty

Jen,

Conner is my almost 2 year old son. He'll be 2 on March 15th. He is the most wonderful thing in my life. Sometimes working out with him is a joke though! Yesterday during kickboxing he kept wanting my attention. I make sure I don't ignore him by talking to him and giving him things to play with, but I did have to stop in the middle and read books! He also got a hold of the remote twice and turned off my video. I think that was a hint! That's actually one of the reasons I haven't worked out much. Conner would stand in front of me while I was working out and hold his arms up to be held. He actually doesn't do it that much anymore which has made it a lot easier for me. Sometimes he likes to join in and when Cathe says "kick" he says "kick". so cute! Do you have kids?

What yoga DVDs do you like to do?

Thanks for asking about my foot. I actually didn't go to my appointment today. I'm not feeling very good today, I'm having stomach problems, and it was snowing hard and it's an hour drive through the mountains to the doctor, so I rescheduled for next Tuesday. I really needed to go though, but at least I know I can do kickboxing now, so that will hold me over. I don't know if I'm going to workout today. I'll have to see if I feel better. I haven't actually done the premixes for KM. I'll have to try that, I bet I'll like it better. I don't like all the jumping jacks either. I like the leg conditioning drills at the end though. They're tough!

Let me know if you did your workout and what you did. That's the good thing about this check in is that it can help if you tell someone you're going to do something, then you're more likely to do it. Hopefully anyway! At least you work out after work. I save all my working out for my days off. I work 10 hour shifts and have an hour commute each way, so I'm too tired after work, plus I miss my little guy all day, so I want to spend the time with him.

Liberty,

Welcome to the check-in! I'm sorry to hear about your divorce it sounds like you've been and are going through alot. That would be tough, especialy with kids. How old are your kids?

I'm sure you know that working out can really help relive stress. So go ahead push that play button, I bet you'll feel better! And eat some good food, you need to take care of yourself! Which workouts do you have? What are your favorites?

Well, it sounds like you have some good plans for this summer, you can have some well deserved fun!

Thanks. My boys are 5 and 8 (today is his birthday!)

I have Drill Max, CTX, High step, Body fusion, Muscle Max, Basic Step, Butts and Guts (love it!) and a couple others that came with my step. Oh and Kick Max.
I also have several other workouts, and most of the Team Beach Body workouts.

Once again, haven't worked out other than Sunday this week. SIGH, still sore from Sunday's workout. LOL But plan on doing a weight workout tomorrow.

I'm sorry to see you aren't feeling well. I hope you feel better soon!

Lib

Liberty,

Thanks, I ended up feeling better later on Tuesday, so I did an ab workout. I didn't do anything yesterday, but plan on doing another ab workout tonight after work.

Happy Birthday yesterday to your son!

I love B&G too! I plan to do that one for my next lower body workout. Good luck with your weight workout! Which one are you going to do?

Amy

Thanks! He spent it with his father, so I will have his party this weekend. All he wanted was his own alarm clock. Interesting. LOL

Glad you are feeling better!

I still haven't worked out since Sunday. SIGH. Keep letting things get in the way. But I will. I'm focusing mostly on Kelly Coffey-Meyer's 30 mins to Fitness: weights. Trying to get back to where I was.

Before I left my soon to be ex, I was doing BG 2x a week, and Muscle Max 3 times a week, with Kenpo X and Yoga X the other two days. I dont even think I could get through most of those now! :mad::eek: But I will get back there!

I wont do the dvd tonight, but I will do squats, lunges, and push ups before too much longer.

Keep plugging away Liberty! Wow, you were doing a lot before! I used to do alot more too. Now besides the fact that I haven't worked out for a while, I also have put on 40 pounds. Sigh. I started weight watchers again on Jan 1st and have lost 8 pounds so far. And I'm really serious about working out again, but I'm so out of shape that the workouts are pretty hard. I still love doing them though. Last night after work I did a quick 15 min lower body workout and a core workout. Tonight I might do biceps, triceps, and shoulders, I'll have to see how tired I am after work, I might just go to bed instead, LOL!

Good luck with your squats, lunges and push ups!

8 lbs that's great! Congrats! Keep at it, the rest will come off quickly.

I got really sick Saturday, and was worried about today's workout, but made it through.

Can I join?

Hello all!

I hope you don't mind if I join in this thread. I am in the same boat...I used to be very active and fit until a back injury sidelined me. I was in excruciating pain for almost 2 years (2004-2006) before I finally went ahead and had surgery (12/06). I wasn't allowed to work out for most of 2007 due to recovery and now I have spent the last couple of years trying to get back into a groove with exercising. I feel so much better when I am fit so this time I am committed.

So, a little about me...I am 34, I am married and have two children, a dd - 18 and a ds - 12. I'm sure you will notice that I am too young to have an 18 yr old...I was a teen mom. I didn't allow that to become a negative though...I finished school and went on to college eventually getting a master's degree. My daughter is heading off to college this summer. Ugh, where did the time go?!?

I found cathe's workouts right before my surgery. I was using Low Max as often as I could with the pain. I stopped using her after my surgery but picked it back up earlier this month. I currently own 4DS (which I love!), Step Blast & Step, Jump and Pump, Low Impact Circuit, High Step Circuit, Low Max, Muscle Max, Kick, Punch and Crunch and Legs & Glutes and Body Max 2. I ordered STS Strength this week and am going to start that next week. I am really excited for that!

So I decided after years of gaining and losing the same 20 lbs that I am not going to solely focus on weight loss. I want to become an athlete! or a Cathlete! I want my body to work as well as the ones I see on the video. I am working hard at it (currently doing 5 cardio + 3 strength workouts per week). I just started at the beginning of this month but I am already seeing gains. At the beginning of the month I struggled with push-ups on my knees...as of last night I was able to do about 20 push-ups on my toes (with some rests in there)!!

I look forward to sharing the journey with you ladies. Have a great day!

Lisa

Hi Lisa!
Welcome!
Sorry to hear about the surgery, but glad you are doing well!

You should be really proud of all of your accomplishments! I'm 40, have a 5 yr old, and an 8 yr old (as of last week) I put my soon to be ex through college TWICE and am struggling to find a way back myself. My boys are very excited I'm going and extremely supportive! Unfortunately, Not a lot of luck in the financing department. So hopefully by this time next year, I will be starting.

Amy and Jen, how are y'all doing?

We are supposed to get a lot of really nasty weather today. Sleet by early afternoon and up to 6 inches of snow they say for our area. Sigh!

Well I have great news! I have worked out every day this week! I tried the Firm's Dangerous Curves on Monday, which was alright I guess. The workout was good, dont get me wrong, but it was too short on reps. If I do it again, I will have to do it twice. Then Tuesday, did Salsa and some other cardio. Yesterday, was tied up til 2, but after got the boys in bed, did the No More Trouble Zones by Jillian, hadn't tried it since I got it some time ago. I like it.

I was going to do some Turbo Jam on Tuesday, but found out that my dvd player wont play half my workouts for some weird reason. They play fine in my lap top, and in the good dvd player my ex took. So, guessing my dvd player is about out.

My goal is to get a couple of weeks in of working out 6 days a week, get back into the habit, then set up for P90 Master Series. By the end of a couple of months, I should be back to where I was with Cathe, and ready to try Drill Max.

Okay, question, notice some names say member, others say Cathelete, whats the diff and how does that work? Just curious.

Hope everyone has a beautiful day! I have to get up and get moving. Have to print off some things for my business, and get into town before the weather gets too bad.

Liberty

Good morning everyone and welcome Lisa!

So Lisa you're 4 years younger than me with an 18 year old and I have an almost 2 year old! I got started late! You'll have to let us know how you like STS strength. I've been tempted to buy that series, but I don't think I have the time to dedicate to it with my toddler and right now I want to focus on cardio. It sounds like you're really working hard to get in shape. Congratulations on the push ups.

Congratulations Liberty on working out all week, that's awesome! Sorry you were sick. Thanks for the congrats. Unfortunately this week I didn't lose anything. I know that's the way it goes sometimes, but it's still frustrating. So, Saturday I did MMA Fusion and really liked it, although I couldn't do some of the floorwork. Something to work towards. I also did shoulders from 4DS that day. Lisa, I love 4DS too! Sun I did KPC minus the kicking/punching combos and then added on the blasts from Kick Max. Mon I did biceps from pyramid upper body. That's my favorite bicep workout, it's tough, then I did core work from MMA fusion and Cardio Core Circuit and I went sledding so I figured that burned some calories too. Tuesday I did Legs & Glutes. I didn't workout yesterday. Tonight I think I will just do triceps, but I haven't decided which workout yet. I need to do cardio since that's what I want to focus on, but I just don't know if I have the energy after being gone for 13 hours and I would have to workout after my son goes to bed and actually I should go to bed too because I get up at 4:30. Maybe I'll do a short cardio instead of triceps, we'll see.

So did you get lots of snow Liberty? Where does everyone live? I live in Kamas, Utah. We're up in the mountains at 7000 feet, so we get alot of snow too.

Well I need to get back to work. Good luck everyone with your workouts!

Oh, and you were asking about the difference between members and Cathletes. It goes according to how many posts you have posted. You start as a member and then become a Cathlete, but I'm not sure how many posts before you become a Cathlete. And I think there are other names too for when you have more posts. Does that make sense?

Hello!

I am in the Columbus, Ohio area. We got a little snow yesterday but nothing to be excited about. I like snow but we seem to get skipped whenever snow comes to the area...it always goes a little north or a little south.

I did the step/hi lo portion of Step, Jump and Pump today. I was supposed to do the weights but I calculated a lot of the 1RM for STS instead. I am going to start this weekend. I am almost giddy. That will last until I get 5 minutes into the first workout, then I will be wondering why on earth I paid to torture myself. lol I worked out every day this week so far except for Wednesday. But on Wednesday I was working to get some more equipment in my workout room. I got an awesome deal on craig's list for a squat rack, bench and 400 lbs of weights. My husband took the squat rack and bench down to the basement for me but I had to move all the weights. I figured all the trips up and down the stairs counted for a workout!

Did I read that someone on this thread is doing weight watchers? I am as well online. It's like my 4th time trying it...I have a problem with going gangbuster with it for like a month and then getting burned out and going off. I usually lose about 10 lbs but then I gain it all back plus more. I am really proud of myself this time because I am not getting crazy about it...I am being reasonable with my food intake and trying to not be overly restrictive. I haven't lost this week, but I am retaining water because it's that TOM. At least I know it's temporary!

Time for me to get settled for bed. Have a great night!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.