No more coffee for me - why?

L Sass

Cathlete
I would love to know why this happened. I LOVE my coffee. A few years ago I made a concerted effort to cut back my consumption and add more green tea. But I learned to make my daily cup and a half my "treat" instead of my staple.

About 2 and a half months ago I came down with a nasty stomach bug that had me puking and "you know what"ing for 4 days and I cannot get near a cup of coffee now. It still smells good to me, but when I take that first sip it tastes AWFUL. I literally run to the sink to spit it out. I've had stomach bugs in the past, and my taste for a particular food or drink has never been impacted long term - why now? Even at a restaurant after a meal - no way. I've taken to bringing my own preferred tea bags with me. Ugh. :(

Lorrie

www.picturetrail.com/lsass

I'll be walking the Komen 3-day (60 miles) the week after Cathe's RT. To view my webpage or make a donation go to: https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=202302&supid=166016627

Maybe it will go away!

From the files of my own personal experience:

1.) About 8 years ago I showed off at a bar with my friends by downing a lot of shots of a lot of different kinds of booze. (stupid) Puked in the parking lot and couldn't go near hard alcohol for a LONG LONG time, hated it. But after a few years I was okay again. I can taste stuff again (gin, rum, scotch, etc.) and it's fine. (we're talking very small amounts, now...)

2.) During my first pregnancy, Chex Mix and basmati rice made me feel nauseous, and I felt this way for a couple years post pregnancy. But now I've recovered.

So...maybe several more months will cure you? Hopefully?

gisela

I had runny eggs a long time ago and they grossed me out so much that I couldn't eat eggs for years.

Erica

I thought you were going to complete your subject line in the body of your post as, "No more coffee for me - why LIVE???":7 :7

My mother got a nasty stomach bug a few years ago and after that one she couldn't stand alcohol!!! Still can't drink a drop to this day without heading to the potty to call Ralph!! So, it could be worse!!:eek: :eek:

lorrie, . . i had heart spasms for 2 days and finally went to the er and they ran a bunch of tests, . . couldn't figure out what it was but they thought that it was because i was having to much coffee. with a still and expressionless face the doc said that i would have to give up all caffine. i looked at him also with an expressionless face waiting for him to laugh and say just kidding but he was serious. when enough uncomfortable silence passed realization hit me and panic set in. i asked him if he was serious. he was. well i gave up coffee for all of 1 week and said forget it. i guess my point is if your body is telling you no to coffee, . . take it as a hidden blessing. although there are some positive properties to caffine, . .it is a diuretic, which takes extra water with the body when processing, through digestion. caffine also takes vital nutrients and mineral with them on the way out. coffee also stains your teeth (i work in a dental office). so look at the bright side of this. same thing happened to me with liquor, . . did the stupid get drunk thing and puked in the parking lot and now i will never touch the stuff, except for the occassional wine pairing at a restaurant. heck it saves me from drinking all those extra drunk calories that i don't need and i personally think being drunk is stupid.:)

I also think it could be an association thing..I got sick one nite after eating dinner (was pregnant) and couldn't do dishes that nite. We had steamed broccoli and the next morn I lifted the lid to the pan and let's just put it this way...no broccoli for this girl for YEARS! The smell nearly did me in! I finally got passed it and love it again! :7

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Thanks all for your input. What I find so strange is that 1. I didn't get sick on coffee to begin with. I also have had those food aversions following an illness and it's usually an association issue that goes away in due time. No such luck here. And 2. it still SMELLS fabulous. That's what makes me miss it - not like the smell and taste of it make me nauseous - just can't seem to choke it down. Ugh. Alas I still get my caffeine from the green tea I love, though I have heard that green tea stains teeth worse than coffee. Hope that's not true.

Thanks - coffeeless in Cleveland, aka
Lorrie

I'll be walking the Komen 3-day (60 miles) the week after Cathe's RT. To view my webpage or make a donation go to: https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=202302&supid=166016627

Yeah sometimes those associations make things you love very unappealing. I have had the same types of reaction with some kinds of alcohol and ethnic foods. I agree it could be your body just telling you to stop feeding you this stuff. I gave up caffeine last year and I can't tell you how much good it did me. Although I still drink coffee, just decaf.

Hmmmm...that's interesting and something you may get over at some point. I used to love black olives and one day at work a coworker and myself bought a loaf of olive bread at a nearby bakery. It was divine but I ate so much of it I started to feel nauseous. I was never able to eat an olive again afterwards. I think I'm better now because the thought of an olive doesn't make me feel like gagging like it did before. But, I still won't eat them.

This happened to me several years ago after having a tonsillectomy. I was up to drinking almost a pot of coffee a day at work (active duty) when I had surgery. Afterwards, it took my at least 2 years to drink it again, and now, even 8 yrs later, I only drink 1 cup at the most, if I do drink it!

I remember driving to work when I was in my first trimester of pregnancy. I was nauseous and stuck in traffic behind a catering truck - the kind that go from business to business around here. They must have been cooking Chinese or some sort of Asian food. I could smell the peanut oil.

I could never go near Chinese food for 4 or 5 years after that.

Diane

Lorrie,

Recently, I had my appendix out. I was unusually sick afterwards and was in the hospital for 4 days running a high fever. I started solid foods again very slowly. I was an avid coffee drinker, but I could not stomach coffee because it was so strong. The withdrawals from not drinking coffee were a drop in the bucket compared to my other aches and pains, so I got through it.

I have been drinking green tea since then, and it still does not satisfy me like coffee used to. I also find that the coffee still smells good and when I walk into our break room at work, I find myself tempted by the coffee pot. But, so far I have been sticking with my tea. There are so many interesting flavors of tea out there, I am finding.

I guess when our body chemistry changes for some reason, it can change our tastes for different foods/drinks.

Good luck, and try to explore different tea flavors.

So you didn't get sick on coffee and still love the smell, but can't drink it?? The only time that happened to me was when I was pregnant--all three times:eek:

>So you didn't get sick on coffee and still love the smell,
>but can't drink it?? The only time that happened to me was
>when I was pregnant--all three times:eek:

That's it EXACTLY!!!! Cannot be preggers. But even all 3 times at that I couldn't handle the smell, though could drink it. This is just the opposite. It doesn't make me physically sick and it smells SOOOOO good, but once it hits my mouth it tastes so terrible that I have to spit it out. I'm really missing my mid-morning cuppa' joe - though at least I like my tea. I just found it odd.

Lorrie

I'll be walking the Komen 3-day (60 miles) the week after Cathe's RT. To view my webpage go to: https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=202302&supid=166016627

According to my acupuncturist/Chinese medicine doctor, coffee contains carbolic acid, which negatively affects the lining of the intestines (the seat of a large part of our immune system). Maybe your body is telling you that coffee isn't such a good thing for it.

> it still SMELLS fabulous. That's what makes me
>miss it - not like the smell and taste of it make me nauseous
>- just can't seem to choke it down.

I've always liked the smell of coffee, but never the taste.
You could try some coffee substitutes (like Pero or another chicory or roasted soy bean concoction), which are supposed to taste similar to coffee.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.