Nia Shanks

Sorry to hear that Tom.
Certainly no bragging for me - LWF2 Roman's Revenge (Full Gym <30). Well, he exacted his revenge alright. Took almost 40 mins, and I, too was POOPED by the end of it. I had been planning on tacking on another 10 min LWF - no way. For the final thrusters I had to drop to 8kg DBs. Grrr.

Here's a good one ladies. Keep this in mind, Tom, if you're being chased by a woman in heels. Watch out!

"Women who can run in heels, should be feared."

Can't remember the last time I ran in heels. If I have to run, I'm not wearing heels. I always put my heels on, after I get to my office. (on those days, I feel a need to wear them)

Last edited:
Another "not great day". But I did show up! I did same weight for 2 sets then dropped 20# and did 3 longer sets, dropped another 20# and did a set of 8...POOP!!(cleaned it up a bit) Did inverts 4x8 suspended pushups 4x12 and dropped curls 5# and did 10 10 5(wide) 10. Yunno, not everyday is a great day and until I get my intake up, this is probably the "new norm" Not happy but at least effort was made.Hope everyone else has something to brag about today!!

Hey there Tom! I, from time to time, insert myself into others' discussion if I think I can be of some use ;), & I just wanted to share with you that when I was having problems with a lack of appetite (and already being lanky & a tad underweight as it was), I discovered fenugreek and fennel to be excellent appetite stimulants for me. Im not sure if you enjoy cooking with spice or not, but if you do not, they can also be taken as just a herb supplement in a ground or powder or tincture form. My only caution is if you are someone who is ‘heaty‘/always warm, then just take a little at the beginning as they are spices that will heat up your stomach a bit. Another thing that really gets my digestive juices going is a bit of cucumber juice on an empty stomach. I don't really do or tout the whole juice thing cause I feel it is too hard on the digestive system (and insulin levels) in very large quantities, but a little cucumber juice makes me hungry!!
I've just been browsing some of your challenges with appetite so thought I'd share. Best of luck with it all!!

I started GSF2 today - it was like nothing else I've ever done. I ended up doing 10 SETS of 4 REPS 80kg back squat. (More used to doing 4 sets of 10 reps for things.) The accessory moves were in the 10-15 rep range, and I ended up with 10-12 sets of those. Basically a high volume day. The entire thing took me about an hour (inc warm up, warm up sets, testing, cool down etc), so I didn't do a LWF conditioner. I know week 1 of any new programme can feel strange, but I'm interested to see where this leads. I'll be very happy if I have Roz's results. x

Elsie - interesting about the fennel / fenugreek. I've heard of fennel aiding digestion, but not as an appetite stimulant. Now I know to avoid it when I'm on a leaning out phase! I'm the same as you with juices - my digestive system can't handle them. In fact I don't use smoothies either. I seem to do best on 'entire' vegetables.

In fact I don't use smoothies either. I seem to do best on 'entire' vegetables.
Same here. and I love vegetables, so it all works out! :) Lately I've been really into blanching chard & other greens to have with a poached egg, lima beans and toast for breakfast or lunch. Roasted yams and cauliflower has been on rotation here too.

Hey there Tom! I, from time to time, insert myself into others' discussion if I think I can be of some use ;), & I just wanted to share with you that when I was having problems with a lack of appetite (and already being lanky & a tad underweight as it was), I discovered fenugreek and fennel to be excellent appetite stimulants for me. Im not sure if you enjoy cooking with spice or not, but if you do not, they can also be taken as just a herb supplement in a ground or powder or tincture form. My only caution is if you are someone who is ‘heaty‘/always warm, then just take a little at the beginning as they are spices that will heat up your stomach a bit. Another thing that really gets my digestive juices going is a bit of cucumber juice on an empty stomach. I don't really do or tout the whole juice thing cause I feel it is too hard on the digestive system (and insulin levels) in very large quantities, but a little cucumber juice makes me hungry!!
I've just been browsing some of your challenges with appetite so thought I'd share. Best of luck with it all!!
Elsie. I'm glad you did..many thanks! I'm going to see if I can find them in "redneckville" haha. It is certainly worth a try! Please feel free to comment any time. These great ladies even let ME in!!! Thanks again, I will try to find these and give them a try!

Well today I finally have some "freakin" good news from sweatville!!! I added 10# to my last set of deadlifts alternating between sumo and conventional. On my last set I added another 20# and did a set of 2 sumo,and it felt SO good I decided to do 1 rep conventional. I am still not sure which way tests best for me, so often I alternate. I think conventional is a better glute and hamstring workout, but I think sumo is a slightly shorter ROM and maybe less back stress for me( dunno, maybe just thinking outloud). Really glad to up my poundage by 30#! I don't know if I am stronger or just braver and sick of bad news!! Anyway I will take it!!! I finished with a set of only 5 at 225# and left it on for glute bridges 5x10 then did ab wheel roll outs 1x30 1x20. I find it interesting how a bad day in the weight effects your attitude in general. Kinda glad to have had a better one!!!I hope you all have great ones!
Justine...that workout sounds KILLER!!! Lotsa reps and sets. RESPECT!!!

Look at you all, killin' it!!
Justine, AMAZING first GSF workout! I know, they feel LONG. I cut mine short if I start to feel too much dread for the next eighteen sets.
Tom, killer DLs!
Karen, rocking as always!
Elsie, chime in all the time!

Yesterday was squats -- it was a blah day, so it was short. Things started testing poorly quickly. Fine by me! Got some walking and yoga in.

I'm going to be busying around the next few months, so might not be checking in as often. But y'all keep me motivated even when I can't get online! :)

Ok, ladies and gent, what are you all doing. Tuesday night, I did another Ho Co. When I was finished, I thought "that wasn't so bad." So I've gone from lying on the floor for ten minutes, to recover, to "that wasn't so bad." Navy Seal Training, is just around the corner! I won't hold my breath!

Tom - fantastic news. Let's hope it continues! Psychology is a big deal in lifting, I reckon.

Well, I've done another GSF2 w/o. I had to stop at an hour, because I was getting a bit fed up (!) They're making me super hungry, unfortunately (Tom - NB). I hope they don't have the same effect as STS does on me - ie hypertrophy PLUS fat gain. I'll give them a few weeks. It may, of course, just be coincidence. But 17 sets of 4 reps of o/h presses (35kg) - what???? It may, however, be just the change I need.

Roz - hope it's good-busy. Don't disappear!

Justine, you're so funny. I was thinking I may have to start what you're doing. But, then again, 17 sets? I've gotten so used to working out for less than an hour at a time. Yes Roz, I hope it's a good busy!!

Coming back to add to this post. Last night I did Linda Wooldridge's stability ball dvd. Great glute and lower body work. I like Linda, very personable, and my glutes and inner thighs were on fire. Highly recommend.

Last edited:
The amazing thing is that you get all that volume done in an hour - it makes you speed up and cut down on the rests when you think you may have another 16 sets ahead of you. And there were 2 more supersets - ie another 4 exercises on top of the o/h presses. I decided I really didn't need to finish the farmers carries, as that's what I do for a living!

I wish I'd done a bit more of a 'cut' before I started. Tom, I'm sending you some virtual bulk.....please return some stringiness.

I'll take the virtual bulk Justine!! Better than nothing.17 sets with just a bar would be tiring!!! I had to drop my ohp 10# from my high, but did add some reps. I thin,k cleaning it is rough on My bi tendons so I did shorter sets on chins 8 5 5 8 then partials (part way upall the way up then half down) Stringiness on the way!! I'm with u Karen, I may struggle with longer sessions!!

Awesome work, everyone!
Justine, I think my sessions have gotten shorter since I started GSF2. Part of it is that I definitely have gotten better at testing... I can really feel when my hamstrings start to shorten. I no longer use full range of motion off the step, although it was definitely better at the beginning.
Wednesday was UB with barbell push presses as the main lift. Worked up to 100 x3 for one set, which is good food me.
Today was deadlifts. I used the tips from Jen Sinkler's new deadlift video, really helped. Adapted some LWF stuff for a finisher. Barbell thrusters are just evil.
Have a great weekend, everyone!
Roz

Roz,100# by 3 is very good, congrats!! I woke up this morning and it was leg day, but I HAD to try Justine's 17 set ohps..just had to!! (PS if I didn't finish these you would have never heard about it!!) I decided to do it before leg work,took 20-40 sec rests between sets and the last rep felt more like a BUS...was about a 10 second rep!! It took me about 15 minutes, I did them strict with no leg drive and by the 17th set 77# felt pretty darn heavy! Don't know if its strength work or endurance, but it was tough! I didn't want to do 17 cleans with the ohps so I used the Olympic bar, moved my hands a little closer together, and it worked well.Justine,was the weight a percentage of a 1RM or did you just assign a weight? On squats I decided to do some form work, I always feel off balance. I dropped clear down to 115# for form work and I concentrated on going deep. I found that when I placed the barbell as far down my back as possible my balance was much better and it was easier to go deep. I did 8 sets and as I lowered the bar down my back the sets seemed much easier and better balanced, the last set was easier than the first!!What! Hope I can incorporate this into heavier sets. Next week is my last week of Nia and I was really impressed with the program. I wish my food intake could have been better, I weighed 165 this morning and I am now down to end of freshman year weight, SUCKS!!! I am going to try some funnelgreek (sp?) as suggested by Elsie, or one of the others she mentioned. Hope you all have a great weekend!!

Tom - I chose 35kg, simply because the max I have ever pressed is 40kg, and I often use 37.5, but start to fail quite soon on them, so 35 just felt like a sensible place to start. I'll probably stick at that weight next week but do more reps per set. Roz - 100# is fantastic. Now I feel like a real weedling! That's my new goal......

Like the idea of BB placement helping squat depth. I've never tried putting it lower down. Will have to try next squat day! What will you do after Nia, Tom?

Last edited:
Justine...If I tried to back off only 5 kg from my high and do 17 sets....it just wouldn't happen!!! you're a beast!! I was thinking about going back to bodypart a day and shoot for some hypertrophy..and EAT more!! I think I will use some of Nia's lifts during that, like deads on back day,hanging leg raises for abs,not sure about the glute bridges haha!! I really want to do a lot of overhead presses but also dumbbell presses and side laterals and front raises. I think if I can really fry a bodypart/day, I can maybe grow some, and maybe gain a little mass. Something tells me if you add reps at that weight 40 kg won't be your max for long!! I'll be curious if lower barbell placement is helpful for you on squats or whether I am just strange (maybe just imbalanced lol!!!)

Tom, a body part a day - tried that and it's not for me, but I can see why people like it. I need the big, compound moves - they just seem to work best for my body type. Given we're chasing different goals, it should work for you!

Today was the 3rd GSF w/o (ie I've now tried all in phase 1) and it was much shorter. Maybe I'm getting a better feel for how I should be doing them? I decided to use 80kg for the DL, and sumo tested best (so about 80%1RM). I did 4 reps and managed 9 sets. They were still testing well, but I was straining a bit too much, so I halted them there. Then it was pull ups! 4 reps 7 sets then a 3 rep set and finally a 2 rep set before I called it a day. It was the most graphic illustration of biofeedback yet - I couldn't touch my toes after the last set! Finally croc rows (4 sets 15 reps each side with a 22kg KB) super-setted with Pallof presses. I like Pallofs! I may have sore obliques tomorrow.

All that took less than 50 mins, so I did the 10 spot (LWF2 full gym <10 mins) so I got to play with my new slam ball. I was gasping for air at the end of just 5 minutes. HR about 170!!!!

All in all, I'm feeling more comfortable with GSF2.

I'm going to try the low BB placement tomorrow. Will report back.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.