Nia Shanks

Karen - you with the 235lb squat - are the real stud!
I was gonna say, this from the woman who squats 235 x 5!

I did the Bodysnatcher today -- BB under 10. I had two barbells loaded, as I can't use a heavy barbell for a snatch (and deadlifting such a light weight doesn't cut it). The main issue for the snatch is... I am having a hard time essentially jumping into the bottom of a squat under the bar, if that makes sense. So I have to fling it up higher. Any advice, anyone?

I know exactly what you mean Roz - the BB is supposed to stay stationary and we should be squatting under it (sort of). Kelly Coffey Meyer broke it down really well in her LIFT dvd - and it felt good when I did it alongside her cuing. I haven't done that dvd for ages, though, so I can't remember quite how she does it. I'll pull it out and try the workout, then report back....

2 BBs is a good idea - I have the same UB / LB discrepancy. I pulled a Cathe dvd out yesterday, and found I was deadlifting about double what I used to, even for fast reps! I was pleased that the strength gains have sort of filtered down to the metabolic / higher rep stuff.

I know exactly what you mean Roz - the BB is supposed to stay stationary and we should be squatting under it (sort of). Kelly Coffey Meyer broke it down really well in her LIFT dvd - and it felt good when I did it alongside her cuing. I haven't done that dvd for ages, though, so I can't remember quite how she does it. I'll pull it out and try the workout, then report back....

2 BBs is a good idea - I have the same UB / LB discrepancy. I pulled a Cathe dvd out yesterday, and found I was deadlifting about double what I used to, even for fast reps! I was pleased that the strength gains have sort of filtered down to the metabolic / higher rep stuff.

I agree, Kelly did break it down very well. I haven't done that dvd in a while. But I'm going to check it out tonight.You have peaked my interest. I also have to load two BB, and it works really well.

I have two as well one I leave on the floor for deadlifts,other one is on my squat rack and can be adjusted to bench, squat and overhead press. I simply cannot even get my arms in that position for a snatch or overhead squat! My oldest son is an orthopedic surgeon with a specialty in sports medicine. He injected my right shoulder and it felt great...for awhile! Some day will need surgery, but for now will SUBSTITUTE!!!

Did you ladies have trouble with reload week? Mentally I want to "strap it up" and load it up. I'm trying to avoid the old "I know better" and will stick to program, but sometimes you feel like it's a day you will never get back!!!

OK, I've just been off to do the LIFT dvd - couldn't resist! (Light weight, and I didn't do all the reps, as it's supposed to be my rest day...and I've agreed to go swimming with a friend later - enough is enough.)

KCM basically does a conventional DL with the bar (ie legs bent), but brings her torso up, without straightening her legs, goes into a front squat, then stands and presses, if that makes any sense. Emphasis on pushing the elbows forward. She differentiates between a power clean and a full clean. It's much easier to do whilst watching her! In fact I might have the dvd paused at just the right place next time clean / snatch etc crop up, and have her do them along with me!

Did you ladies have trouble with reload week? Mentally I want to "strap it up" and load it up. I'm trying to avoid the old "I know better" and will stick to program, but sometimes you feel like it's a day you will never get back!!!

By the second month I was LONGING for a deload week. I seem to have a problem with energy week 3, power through week 4, and then collapse into de-load. Nia mentions the one time to push maybe a little bit more than is strictly good for you is in the week running up to de-load. Worth a try?

OK, I've just been off to do the LIFT dvd - couldn't resist! (Light weight, and I didn't do all the reps, as it's supposed to be my rest day...and I've agreed to go swimming with a friend later - enough is enough.)

KCM basically does a conventional DL with the bar (ie legs bent), but brings her torso up, without straightening her legs, goes into a front squat, then stands and presses, if that makes any sense. Emphasis on pushing the elbows forward. She differentiates between a power clean and a full clean. It's much easier to do whilst watching her! In fact I might have the dvd paused at just the right place next time clean / snatch etc crop up, and have her do them along with me!
Thanks, Justine!
That's basically a clean + press, right? I'm slightly better of with those and with clean + jerks, but still needs work in the same spot. I guess that's the end of the 'second lift' (using the term Jen uses in the LWF2 tutorial video, I don't really know what I'm talking about...)?
I'm generally loving the explosive moves. I've done Kroc rows in GSF2 a couple times, as they keep testing better than one-arm bent-over rows.

Tom, on my final deload, I ended up doing circuits using the same moves, so I tricked my mind into thinking I was doing something different, not less of what I had been doing. If that makes sense. I share your lukewarm feelings about deloading.
I like that GSF2 doesn't have deloads, but I guess you just naturally back off on days when you need to do less.

Roz - I may be getting confused. I thought a jerk meant ending in a split stance, and that a clean and press was the same, but with feet on the same pane. I reckon the OLifts are deliberately confusing to keep us mere mortals from perfecting them!

Now I need to know what a Kroc row is.....

Roz - I may be getting confused. I thought a jerk meant ending in a split stance, and that a clean and press was the same, but with feet on the same pane. I reckon the OLifts are deliberately confusing to keep us mere mortals from perfecting them!

Now I need to know what a Kroc row is.....
Yes, that's my understanding. And a snatch doesn't pause at the shoulders -- that's the toughest one for me.
A kroc row is essentially an explosive one-arm row -- so you use momentum. Someone correct me if I'm missing something about it.

I think I may have to explore the Olympic lifts. I had a friend a few years ago, that was an Olympic lifter. She had a great physique. She was trying to get me to try Olympic lifting. I wish I had, however at the time, I was afraid I would try to jerk the the bar off the floor, and pull my arms out of my shoulders. There they would be, still holding on to the bar. Kinda like a Saturday Night Live skit.

Last edited:

KCM basically does a conventional DL with the bar (ie legs bent), but brings her torso up, without straightening her legs, goes into a front squat, then stands and presses,
I think I may have to explore the Olympic lifts. I had a friend a few years ago, that was an Olympic lifter. She had a great physique. She was trying to get me to try Olympic lifting. I wish I had, however at the time, I was afraid I would try to jerk the the bar off the floor, and pull my arms out of my shoulders. There they would be, still holding on to the bar. Kinda like a Saturday Night Live skit.
My older son ended his football career 3 weeks before two a days at Mizzou doing power cleans ( from the floor). He screwed up his back and still has issues. My younger son went to Nebraska, and they only do hang cleans ( not from floor but bar in grasp at thigh level) because much less likelihood of back injury. I kind of worry about the real explosive lifts and injury. ( call me weenie)!! I see people do amazing things with those Olympic lifts and am in awe!

Go.
New phone...I suck at it...My oldest son screwed up his back doing power cleans( from the floor) a few weeks before two a days at Mizzou. My youngest went to Nebraska and they only did hang cleans to avoid back injuries. I love to watch Olympic lifts, but too big a weenie and too inflexible to try them!

Today being deload week phase 1 I decided to max out on neutral grip chin ups. I have 2 days off before next chin ups so I hit the Prison pull up bar. I felt I had to represent the guys with Justine and Karen and Roz ripp ing them of!! I was able to get 16 (no kickin but the last one was SLOW and not pretty! My all-time PR is 17, done about 3 years ago at 205#. Today I weighed after and was 175#. Still I was happy with it and want to maintain strength even if weight loss is inevitable. Now if I can figure out deadlifts!!!lol

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.