Newborn Question--melanin

Manmohini

Cathlete
Maybe some of you darker-skinned African American or East Indian ladies can help. My newborn is bi-racial (husband is African American; I am Irish American). Right now, he is almost five weeks old, but he is still as pinkish and light complected as I. Several African American women (including my mother-in-law) said he would probably get darker or more golden. They told me to look at the skin on the top of the ear lobe, the scrotum, or the fingers for an indication of what his final skin tone might be.

Anyways, I am curious. When will he show more melanin in his skin? The child looks so white with his dark straight hair, white skin, and blue eyes. Now my mother-in-law told me my husband looked like this as an infant. Now he has a creamy cappucino colored skin.

Anyone have any experience with this? As a melanin challenged person (i.e., sun burn, sun damage, rashes, skin inflammation, break outs, ect.), I am hoping that he won't have to deal with these irritating bodily events. My husband has such beautiful skin; I am bewildered by why the child shows no sign of his father's skin.

How long does it take for the melanin to come in?
Manmohini

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.