New Runners April 2010

HI ladies!

Ran 7 today. Slow, easy pace. Feels very easy to run if it weren't for my heel. It started to bother me around mile 5 so I know my limit right now.

Jane! Congratulations on your race results. Sounds like a lot of fun!!!

Tricia - I love french baquettes. Fresh baked bread is the best. :)

Lisa - I agree with Jane - what a cool horse you got to ride.

HI Alisha!

Good Morning,

Here is my workout for today. My legs are a little sore from the weekend but I think I can handle jump rope.

100 Jump rope
20 Pull ups
100 Jump rope
20 Push ups
100 Jump rope
20 Swings
100 Jump rope
20 KB Upright Rows
100 Jump rope
20 Sit ups
100 Jump rope
20 KB Push Presses
100 Jump rope
20 KB Triple Crush
100 Jump Rope
20 Ball Slams

I've done this before but I changed some of the exercises.

Cindi ~ I'm glad you got your run in and that you know what your limits are. Slow and easy is the way to go!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Good morning,
Yesterday I did Push-Pull and some yoga and followed it up with a long, slow 4-mile walk with my friend Jennifer, my dogs (Nellie, Ben and Pip), her dogs (Caris, Dylan and Annabelle) and occasionally, the orchard dog (Opie). So we had a real pack :) We had fun though. This morning I took just my gang and we had a nice, short run before work - about 2.5 miles.

The Tenn Walked was a lot of fun! I'm always excited about trying something new. I might be gaited horse convert afterall :)
Lisa

Hi ladies - took a rest day yesterday. I was hoping to get some weight work in, but ran out of time and needed some quality time with my 11 year old.

Running and Zumba tonight. The heel recovered from the 7 miler on Sunday but I'm keeping with 5 miles for this week. Rather than 4 runs I'm going to try 3 - 5 mile runs and see how that feels.

The heel lifts I bought don't seem to be helping. It was worth trying but I think they are focusing more on the plantar fascia than the heel/achilles. So they feel good in that respect but not really helping my problem.

Good Afternoon!

I'm taking a rest day today. My workout yesterday was great. The weather has been incredible lately. I'm enjoying while I can because the heat and humidity is right around the corner.

Cindi - Spending quality time with your child is more important than weight work. Have fun at Zumba tonight.

Lisa - Great walk with you friend and dogs. That must have been fun!

Hi Tricia and Lisa!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Hi everyone,
Yesterday morning I did High and Tight and Tummy Tuck from BBL. I'm happy to announce that I am seeing definitive changes from BBL. I definitely failed the "pencil test" when I started and yesterday I almost passed it. Also, my butt looked decidedly less dimply when I accidently looked at it in the mirror the other day. So, as much as I find Leandro slightly annoying and vaguely creepy - I shall keep on working my "bum bum" until bathing suit season ends.

Yesterday I got my strawberry bed at the school clean out, weeded and fertilized and then did dog class. I also got a little sunburn. Today I took my plant id classes outside to wander around and identify plants which was fun but didn't help the sunburn.

Cindi ~ Enjoy some Zumba for me! I will be tied up teaching micropropagation until 9 tonight.

Jane ~ Enjoy your rest day. You really earn them.

Lisa

Hi Everyone!

Cindi - Sorry the heel cups didn't help, but I'm glad you're finding your range!

Lisa - What wonderful fun you always have running with the dogs in an orchard! I would love that! I may have to put BBL on my to get list! Congrats on the results you've been getting with it!

Jane - That workout looks tough! I saw something similar on the Turbulence Training site! Whew!

I'm still on my usual routine! 2 1/2 more weeks and I'm done with STS! As much as I've enjoyed this rotation, 6 1/2 months is long and I'm ready for a new one! I'm also a bit nervous about changing up the routine! LOL!

The foot was sore after my run on Sunday, but it's recovered must faster than last week, so I'm taking that as a good sign! I don't even feel like I need to take Ibuprofen or ice it tonight! Tomorrow's plyo legs which will be the real test as to how well it's healed!

Have a great night everyone!

Hi all! Change in plans last night. Ran 5 miles then went to spin class instead of zumba. Spin is harder on me cardiovascularly but easier on the heel than Zumba. So I got a great cardio workout last night!

Hi Everybody!

I spent the last two days nursing nasty blisters. Thats it, I'm buying good socks even if I have to order them on the internet! I just did around 3 miles, maybe a bit less. 32 min. in my thr is ok for my first day on my blisters.

I hope that everyone is well,

Alisha

Cindi - Fantastic! Me, I prefer the open road to spin, but that's just me! I know it's a killer workout, but I don't know if I'll ever try it again!

Alisha - Ouch! Girl, did you buy new shoes or something? You shouldn't be having to deal with nasty 'ol blisters like that! Yep. Good socks are a must! Congrats on 3 miles with that pain!

Good Afternoon!

I'm going on a 4 mile run this afternoon. I can't wait to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.

Cindi ~ I need to go to a gym and do some spinning. I think it will help my legs look better. Right now my legs are my only trouble spot. I'd love to get a "real" bike but that's on hold for now.

Alisha ~ Take care of your blisters. Good job on completing your run though!

Tricia ~ I admire your ability to stick with a rotation for that long. I hope your foot continues to heal!

Lisa ~ I'm glad you're getting good results with BBL . I hope your sunburn isn't too bad. I really need to be careful because I burn easily.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!!

Hi ladies - quick check in for me. Last night I did a couple of the new Stephanie Huckabee Powerfit Harmony workouts (push and pull) then soem parts from squeeze stronger. Tonight is spin class and some additional cardio. Running tomorrow.

Hi ladies,
I got sidetracked yesterday and didn't work out at all. This morning I did Sculpt and Bum Bum Rapido from BBL. I'm so thrilled its working despite my lack of rotation.

Alisha ~ Blisters suck! I hope they are getting better. Bandaid makes these really nice fabric bandaids that I put over blisters and have real good success with. I got nice dual heel blisters last week when I forgot to take my walking shoes and wound up doing 4 miles in my Uggs - not so good. I put my bandaids on that night and when I took them off four days later, the skin had readhered and they healed nicely (the skin of course peeled off a couple of days later but everything had healed underneath). The Bandaids stay on through showering and everything. I'll have to check the box and see what the name of the style is.

Jane ~ I hope you are enjoying your weather. It is gorgeous here. I'm spending today putting in two raised beds with red raspberries and blueberries at the school.

Tricia ~ I'm glad your foot is doing better. I don't know how you do Plyo legs - I avoid/modify anything that involves jumping!

Cindi ~ Enjoy spin and running!

Lisa

Hi Everyone!

Jane - Hope you had a great run tonight!

Cindi - You sound busy girl! At least you're getting your workouts in!

Lisa - Yum! Raspberries and blueberries! I love them! It's so exciting that you're getting good results with BBL!

The only issue I have with plyo legs is not making too much noise for my DH who is still upstairs sleeping while I workout! The bedroom is directly above my head! LOL! 2 weeks and 1 more day of STS! I've decided to try a Turbulence Training rotation after STS. I think I'll move on the the Get Ready for Summer rotation FitnessFreak put out after that, then it should be about time to start training for my 10K. After that, it'll be time for STS again, but only a 3 month rotation this time and, hopefully, heavier weight! I want to really push it next time and see what happens!

Well, it's late and DH should be getting home from school soon and I need to get ready to pack it in to get up in the morning! At least it's Friday tomorrow!

Hi everybody! I'm about to go on my hike. Thanks for the ideas Lisa, I will try those bandaids. I'm trying to get outside as much as possible. I have a mountain of laundry to put away which makes me not want to do my yoga after but I don't dare skip it.

Hi Everyone,

I missed yesterday! :( I was in a meeting from 9 until 12:30 and that messed up the rest of my day. The new Managing Director likes meetings and is trying to get a handle on things. He's not in the office but he seems cool and is way more professional than my other boss.

This is what I did yesterday. It was harder than I thought it would be.
3-10 Minute Rounds
Round 1
5 Mr. Spectacular
6 Overhead walking lunges (3 each leg)
2 Driveway Runs

Round 2
20 Swings
2 Driveway Runs

Round 3
10 Jump Squats
2 Driveway Runs

I'm hoping to go to the track tonight and do the following workout:
200m run
20 swings
1 bleacher run
400m run
40 jump squats
2 bleacher runs
600m run
60 step ups
3 bleacher runs
800m run
80 push ups
4 bleacher runs

If there is an event going on at the track, I'm going to the park to do hill runs, bear crawls and other things. Not sure what yet but I'll figure it out.

Lisa - Yes, I am enjoying the weather. I worked out to the fragrance of orange blossoms and a nice cooling breeze. My dad used to have raspberry bushes when we lived in Illinois.

Alisha - Laundry can wait. Do your yoga! Hope your hike was fun and that your blisters are healing.

Waving hellos to Cindi and Tricia!!

Alisha - I hope you enjoyed your hike and your blisters weren't too bad!

Jane - Awesome workouts!

I was nervous about starting a new rotation, but now that I kind of know what I want to do, I'm starting to get a bit excited about it!

I'll let you know how the barefoot running clinic goes tomorrow! It's supposed to rain, so it should be interesting!

Looks like everyone was busy this weekend! Hope we all got a good workout in and a run as well!

Our barefoot running clinic was a lot of fun once it got started. That was the only thing that made me mad. 5-10 minutes starting late is one thing, but they pushed it 30 minutes! We had to be someplace else at 11 and that really pushed our schedule. I thought that was pretty unprofessional and unorganized and I made sure to let them know on the fan page when I got home! Other than that it was cool to get to run with the Harvard professor who did the study on barefoot running. He's in the midst of continuing his research on it. What is it about geeks that I just love so much! LOL!

We heard from an Italian marathoner and Chris MacDougall. They were all fantastic!

Sunday, DH and I went out for another run. It was a little rainy and certainly cold, but we went anyway and got in 4.5 miles!

Have a great week! I'm looking forward to hearing about all of you adventures from this weekend!

Hi Everyone!

I had a super busy weekend. I didn't workout on Saturday. My sisters and I took mom to a nursery and I got a couple of trees to plant in my backyard. Mom had a great time and is almost back to her regular energy level. It's only been a little over 3 weeks since her surgery. She is suppose to start chemo next week.

Yesterday I ran 7 miles and then worked in the yard planting my trees and then I did stuff around the house and crashed more or less.

I'm not sure what I'm doing today. I don't want to do anything with legs because they are sore and I'm saving them for my 10K on Saturday. I'll be back later with my workout for today.

I'm wanting to get a fluid waist belt, that is extremely light and comfortable. I'm going on longer runs now and it's really starting to get warm. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good one?

Tricia - I would have been mad about the program starting late as well. That is unacceptable. I'm glad you enjoyed it though. Great job on your run with weekend.

Waves hi to Alisha, Lisa and Cindi!

Hi ladies!

Jane - I have a bottle that straps to your hand. I prefer that to a belt.

Tricia - Sounds like a great clinic - but I would be really ticked off with a 30 minute delayed start.

Hi everyone else! Ran 5 on friday, 5 again yesterday and added on some resistance training. I'm going to take a week off again from the running and cross train. See how the heel does. It was OK during the runs last week, but I didn't feel like it got any better overall.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.