Need motivation from the 50yr olds.....

kswjetski

Cathlete
Hi all, Looking for motivation from the 50y old women out there using Cathe dvd's. I am 47 and want to get in shape before I am 50. Can you tell me that it can be done, how do you feel, how often you work out (do to body aches from aging), and what keeps you motivated. I am in a slump and need a rope to get me going again. I have over 150 work out dvd's that are just collecting dust. I know I need to change my mindset. I just feel frustrated because, in the past have workout out and not seen any improvement. But I am not consistant either. Thanks for you input. Hope to hear from all of you.:(

Hi!

I'm 56 and use Cathe DVD's. She isn't the only instructor I use though.

I've been working out for 35+ years, so being motivated is just ingrained in me. Doing my daily work out and running is just what I do. I don't even think about not doing it. For me it's kind of like brushing my teeth or taking a shower. It's just part of my day.

I've found over the years that you really can't look to outside sources for motivation. Motivation comes from within yourself. You have to make the decision that you're going to do it, and then just do it.

For me it isn't about what workouts I'm doing, it's about the pure enjoyment I get out of moving and being fit. It's always good to find workouts or instructors that you enjoy, but you aren't going to find lifelong motivation in any particular workout.

You mention that you've worked out in the past and not seen any "improvement". What kind of improvement are you looking for? If you're looking for weight loss, that is mostly about what you eat, not what workouts you're doing. If you're looking to be more fit and gain muscle, then it's all about making that decision to do the workouts, whatever they are.

Good luck! :)

I'm older than you & work out regularly. "wanting to get in shape" seems vague to me. I like a more specific goal, like being able to do "xxx pushups" or do STS in 3 months.
what's stopping you? not enough time? How long since you've done a workout? Is the "dread" factor at work here... afriad of the DOMS? afraid of discomfort during the workout?

If it's been "a while" since you did anything, pick something not too hard and JFDI. Today. You need to prove to yourself that you can do this. what days of the week work? Start with 2 or 3 days, schedule it on your calendar, check it off when done. Do NOT start with something overwhelming.

find a group to check in with in "check ins and challenges". Mark your calendar. In a few weeks it will feel funny if you DON'T work out. start with things that are manageable, that make you a little sore so you know you did something, but not so sore you kick in the "dread" factor.

I hadn't workout consistently for years. I knew I needed to. Finally 21 weeks ago I just made a goal of doing four workouts of some kind every week. I just finished my 21st week. I haven't lost much weight because I haven't changed my diet yet but I feel firmer and my clothes are a little looser. I am 49. It takes longer than when I was younger to lose weight and to build muscle and strength but it is working. I feel more energetic than I did 21 weeks ago. I need to lose about 30 lbs or more. Now that the regular exercise has become a habit I will start on the diet soon.

I am 49, too, and have been working out since I joined the military at 17, eek 32 years already :). By now it's a habit, however instead of running and pushups/situps that we did in the military, I do Cathe and Turbo Fire, lots of freestyle kickboxing and my own thing. And I walk a lot, always disliked the running unless the other side was chasing me, ha!

Be patient, you will have times where you will have to make yourself do a workout, and when you start your workout for the day, you'll feel better and be so happy that you did it! I workout 6 days a week and the only slow down I've had from age is to be careful of my bunions that are starting and some little pain in my knees. It's minimal though and there is MUCH WORSE pain if you don't work out, gotta keep those joints moving! How's that for a reason to get back into working out? :p

Thank you all for your relpy. You all have some great advice for me. I just have to "just do it", rather than think about doing it all day and not getting it done.

lidavh2...maybe that is why I have been in a slump cuz when I did work out, it wasn't consistant and tried to change my diet but thought I was working out so hard didn't see the changes that I wanted.

Another thing that I struggle with is, in the past when you start to see the body improvement, (body getting firmer and leaner), how do you not sabatoge you accomplishment? In the past I always thought of myself healthy at 30pounds overweight, but didn't like the way I looked. When I saw myself getting leaner, my fat self starts to say in my head that your looking thin.., that struggle with fat and lean self conflict of body image.

Krista

More than just workouts

Krista, I want to mention the other aspect of fitness at any age, but especially as you get older: Nutrition. Now more than ever, you'll need to be careful about what you eat if you want to see results.

I've always fought that, figuring that I eat well enough, but it's not enough anymore. Find a fitness nutrition program that works for you. There are many out there. I use Precision Nutrition and have seen good results with that, but there are many choices. Perhaps look at Body For Life for Women, by Pamela Peeke. To be as fit and lean as possible by 50, it will take more than just working out.

By the way, I work out six days a week -- usually three weight training days, three cardio. I've just finished Meso 1 of STS, and I'm in my active recovery week. I do mostly Cathe videos, but have an do others too. I have done long kettlebell rotations with Art of Strength, which I recommend if you're interested in top-notch instruction and good workouts.

Best of luck to you. It is not easy, but the hardest part is just getting started. Once you get the habit established, it becomes much easier to maintain the routine. And when you start seeing results, you will be motivated to continue!

Krista, I'm just like you. I start doing good and think I can eat anything. Well, you can for a while before it catches up with you.

I'm 50 and worked out forever mostly with Cathe. I love how I feel when I'm done so just think of that. Plus I love to eat so...working out is a must!:cool:

I work out in the morning and just do it! And if that doesn't motivate you....it gets harder at 50! :confused: The weight is hard to get off.

I needed motivation about 10 days ago..my scale motivated me!!
good luck and post your accomplishments soon!

Krista -

I'm 48 and probably the most fit at this age than at any other time in my adult life.

There are different motivations. My deepest personal motivation is to make it to age 50 (and beyond), because I had a sister and brother who did not. My most shallow motivation is that I want my pants to fit (currently I'm somewhat on the edge in this regard). No matter where it comes from, motivation is personal, particular to you, and your different motivations will serve you on different days, but sometimes nothing from your motivational bag of tricks will get you going.

When I really can't seem to get motivated on a particular day, I pick either a workout I really like or a workout that's somewhat easier than what I normally do, then I tell myself I only have to do 10 minutes of it. If I want to stop after 10 minutes I can, guilt free. After all, it could be my body's way of getting me to take a break. But no matter how many times I've used this trick, no matter how many times I've started and kept my eye on the clock waiting for that tenth minute, I've never actually stopped after 10 minutes. By the 10 minute mark I've talked myself into it...usually there's less than an hour to go...sometimes only 20 minutes (the HiiT workouts are great for these kind of days). I'm always, always so glad I worked out and feel just great. I have no idea if this will be a helpful trick for you, but figured I'd share. Oh, and I completely agree with the previous poster who suggested that you start with doable workouts...no need to go in so gungho that you injure yourself or make I so hard that no mere mortal would stick with it.

I really wish you the best...the fact that you want to be healthier means everything.

Krista,
It is imperative that you get a handle on this NOW!!!!
As the other wise ladies have pointed out, it gets MUCH harder to "get in shape" as you get older.
Think about the active lifestyle you want to have in you future: by NOT taking control now where will you be in 5 years? If you DO take control now where will you be in 5 years?

Turn off the TV and get off the couch: much of TV is designed to make you feel like a loser so you will buy a "miracle" life changing "fill in the blank here" product :rolleyes:. Do NOT let the emotional vampires drain you of your energy and talk you out of taking care of yourself...you owe this to yourself! Clean up your diet and get proper sleep at night! Nothing takes precedence over your health...NOTHING!!!

Get moving right now! Energy breeds energy :eek:!

Check back and let us know how you're doing...ease into it and you will feel that same satisfaction of accomplishment that you've been reading about on this site! Good Luck! :D

I'm not in your age group, but I also struggle with motivation sometimes. I recommend the IOWL podcast, especially the first 18 episodes. Its all about changing your motivation from the inside out, which is why its called 'Inside Out Weight Loss'. Renee Stephens is a really great personal coach and she has struggled herself. I have found her style to be really helpful. I think that you will be successful as soon as you resolve whatever in your self is holding you back. For me, it was feeling unsafe, I didn't want to be sexually attractive because I had some abuse when I was young. For you it might be something else, everybody has a reason or a logistical problem to solve. Often, its more than one thing that we need to work through before we are ok with becoming slender.

I wonder if all of your workouts just seem too daunting, like they are just too much. Its ok to start with easier workouts. I think you need to develop that habit more than you realize. Exercise helps with weight loss by improving your insulin receptivity, it helps prevent diabetes, and treats depression better than prescription drugs.

I am 51 and have been working out consistently for the last 13 years using a variety of different workouts. Besides the usual motivation for losing weight and looking good, I want to be fit as I move through the second half of my life. I have seen my mom's struggle with health issues due to weight and I don't want that to be me.

I agree with JeanneMarie that motivation comes from within and is different for everyone. It's your life and you have free will on how to make the changes you want to see in your life.

As I have moved from my late 30's to my 40's and now my 50's I have realized that diet is the key. I eat more healthy now than when I started out 13 years ago and I also eat less. I still enjoy myself from time to time but I had to get strict with my diet.

For me exercise and eating healthy is a habit like brushing my teeth and taking a shower. I do all sorts of workouts...running, crossfit type workouts, weight and kettlebell training. The variety is great and keeps me focused and motivated. I must admit that I don't do many dvd workouts anymore as I workout with my sisters who are 54 and 51 (my twin). I live in an area where I can workout in my backyard year round. We keep each other motivated and also push each other when we need too.

It is possible to gain muscle, lose weight and be fit in your 50's. I have been running races since 2008 and am beating lots of my times that I set in my 40's.

Best of luck to you!

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to this discussion. I appreciate all of your viewpoints. I have done Basic Step and Body Fusion so far and I can't tell you how my attitiude had improved. You are all right!!! I just have to take the time to do it. I am going to look into those podcast also. Those look very interesting to help me change my mindset.

Anyone recommend a group in the challenge$ check in section that I could join?

Krista:)

Krista,

I am 53 and just rec'd the best compliment from someone I haven't seen in several years. He said he didn't know how I was doing it, but I was getting better with age. Exercise gives me an internal glow that seems to radiate outside of me. I am what I would call a normal eater. I don't count calories, but I know from several years of tracking my calories what my normal daily calorie input should be. Diet is key!! In my 50's I have learned to stop beating myself up over a missed workout or a piece of cheesecake on a "special day". I do workout 6 days a week. I am slowing down ever so slightly, so instead of doing 6 killer workouts in a week, I will schedule a 60 minute workout one day and then the next day balance off with maybe a 30-40 minute workout. Most of my workouts are from Cathe. I usually select a monthly rotation from Cathe's list, and will try to stick with that for the month. I will modify if the workout for the day is too easy/hard. P.S. I love being in my 50's!!

The 40s Check-In Group!

The girls in the 40s group are wonderful -- I'm sure they'd welcome you and be happy to encourage you to continue. There isn't any set rotation; just sharing of life's ups and downs, workouts, etc.

Just look for the weekly thread that includes 40s in it! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.