Need help with belly fat

Ellie,

I see the beginnings of ab muscles in your pictures. You don't see that? Look closer, especially the front view. You are your own worst critic.

Unfortunately, if you want more defined abs you will have to get rid of the surgery cereal. IMO, I believe that surgery stuff is addicting and will do you more harm than good. Seriously. You are working so hard on yourself only to sabotage it with sugar, that is called addiction.

Try oatmeal, I can give you an incredible recipe that can be started in the crockpot and be ready to eat when you get up in the morning. Or try bite size shredded wheat (without the sugar), you can taste it's own sweetness. I use a little lite soy milk on it. If you don't like cereals like that, I urge you to try them for a month and give your taste buds time to acclimate your new way of eating. You will find that eating without sugar or salt, the flavors from fruits and vegies are awesome.

You look fabulous, wish I looked like that.

Take care, and don't be so hard on yourself.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Okay, I apologize in advance for being a bit harsh here. That is definitely not enough food for an active woman doing any of Cathe's workouts. I have seen worse, but you could be fueling your body much more efficiently. You are not getting enough protein and you should be adding a mid-afternoon snack. Your lunch should also be more substantial and focus more on protein and complex carbs. I would also add another protein source to your breakfast, like a hardboiled egg. I don't know how you get through the day on that kind of food intake - I certainly couldn't. How can you achieve your fitness goals if you don't give your body the fuel it needs to do the job? Would you expect your car to run only on fumes?

Right on, MorningStar!!...Ellie..read this, and read it again...you're a Cathlete...gotta eat like one!!!!!!

Girl - I don't see anything wrong w/ your belly. You look GOOD!

I've noticed my mid section is not as tight as it was just a few months ago also and I've just took out my Tosco Reno's book back out and have started rereading it as 'they' the magazines experts say its all related to diet.

So I'm guessing diet?

picture.php

mid section

Hi,

I'm a little older than you are and when I was about the same age I noticed the same sort of mid-section. I'm 5'3" and about 112 now. I looked in the mirror and finally came to the conclusion that I probably had some internal fat and no sucking in of the core was going to get rid of the bulge. Where ever it was, it was really hard to get rid of.

I got it off, through a diet shock which included a conscious effort to eat more protein and less carbs, plus a lot of calorie burning using about everything under the sun. It's now gone and I've kept it at bay for several years. I still try to incorporate protein consistently and complex carbs. I usually only add in extra carbs before or after a run. The other days I keep my carb count pretty low. Bloat is also a factor for me and I do not eat oatmeal in the morning; by afternoon I would look like I'm 4 months pregnant. I know it is temporary, but I don't like it. Another thing that causes bloat for me is not enough food intake.

I hate ab work too, but finally came to the realization that for me, my core would not be tight if I did not do core work at least 3x per week. The one thing that has really helped me was the light bulb moment that no type of crunch works for me. Once I figured that out, and I started to see results from my core work, it has been much easier to stomach:)

Regardless of what other people think, if you are not happy with that part of your body, then it's important to find a way to change it.

Tracy

I agree with Kathryn. It doesn't look like you have much belly fat to me. Your abs look fairly solid. What I see in the pic is a bit of some kind of bloat, rather than fat. In any event, I'm sure your belly looks just fine under clothes, right?

Last edited:
First of all, I think you look really good! :D I apologize if this has already been mentioned because I didn't read through all the posts, but after 2 c-sections, could it be that the muscles are now out of whack and can't go back to their pre surgery state despite diet and exercise? I'm not advocating for surgery but maybe that's the prob. I'm sure you have looked into this though.

I don't see any fat, and believe me, I KNOW what belly fat looks like, and you don't have any excess fat. You look amazing!

Hi Ellie!

You look great in those picture, fit and athletic.:) But I agree with Morningstar and Kim. That doesn't quite look like fat to me because as Kathryn says you can see your abdominal muscles. But what it does remind me of is an abdominal separation which women who've been pregnant can get. And no amount of fat loss or typical abdominal work will get rid of. The abdominal girdle has to knit back together and I know that there is some DVD's out there for this problem that prescribe specific ab exercises that help to decrease that abdominal space and knit the muscles back together to get back your ab girdle. There's a book and DVD called "Lose Your Mummy Tummy" by Julie Tupler. Check Amazon for the book. The DVD isn't on Amazon but you can get it at www.maternalfitness.com/shop/popups/mum_tum_dvd.html. I can't remember the other DVD but it was really good too. Women have gotten great results from it. Also the other last resort is of course the tummy surgery to sew it back together and lipo the excess fat or tuck.

Morningstar's suggestion about diet is excellent! You need way more lean protein and you must lower your sugar intake (no more sweet cereals or only eat a tiny bit of it maybe twice a week) and choose lower glycemic index foods. Us 40 somethings really have to be vigilant about this in order to keep the abdominal fat whether above the muscle or below the muscle at bay! This will keep your body from wanting to retain fat and keep it off the belly area. For instance eat less amount of fruit per day but up the veggies. (Also, watch the type of beverages your drinking) And the fruit you eat try to choose lower glycemic fruit for instance berries. For example, bananas are VERY high glycemic and will shoot up your insulin output too quickly and too much, instead of a low even steady stream, which in turn causes you to pack on fat and in the worst place the abdomen. (Bananas for me actually give me pimples it shoots up my insulin levels so much!) Lower glycemic foods will not do this. When eating yogurt be sure to eat plain only and add your berries to it if you like. Check out "The G.I. Diet" books (Glycemic Index diet books) along with of course Tosca Reno's awesome books.

Hi Ellie,

Hmm.....I'll be 49 years old next month and I still have a six pack for abs (you can check my profile). And yes, I've had a child....she'll be 26 years old this May. I can only tell you what works for me. First let's be honest, there is a genetic componet to great abs. (I have a long torso so that puts me at a slight advantage in the ab department.) Anyway...I eat a plant based diet so I don't believe it is at all necessary for you to increase your protein intake to acheive that goal, but I do believe it's best not to eat processed food. If if doesn't come from the earth, try not to eat it. I agree with clean eating. I get my fats from avocados and raw nuts and seeds (I also love those chia seeds spinkled on my morning steel cut oat/quinoa porridge....it keeps my appetite in check during the day and gives me my omega-3s). Good wholesome food is best for me.

I also try to work my abs 3 times a week. I do a variety of ab exercises from pilates to kickboxing. The key for me is really variety. I'm sure with lots of suggestions you will also find what works for you. :)

Hmm.....I'll be 49 years old next month and I still have a six pack for abs (you can check my profile).
Robin, I just want to say that you are my new hero. ;) Those abs are amazing.
bow.gif

First of all, YOU LOOK GREAT...no matter what you think! AND KUDOS to you for being BRAVE enough to post a picture. (I took pix of myself too, but am *way* too self-conscious to post mine! Maybe I'll send you one privately!!!)

I know, however, since I'm in EXACTLY THE SAME BOAT AS YOU, that NO AMOUNT of people telling you that you're gorgeous is going to make you feel better about yourself! Unfortunately, that's just the way it is! Everyone thinks I look "just fine," but I swear I don't. ("Gosh darnit," I say..."CATHE has had two kids and is in her 40s...there's just no excuse!!!" This is about the time my husband either walks out of the room or I am reminded that I'm not a full-time fitness professional...)

ANYWAY...I'll be 41 this week, and my stomach hasn't been the same since I had kids. I used to have a WAIST. Now I have a TRUNK (of the tree variety...you know???) I read all the preceding comments from others about this issue and generally agree with all of them. Diet *is* important...less carbs...less refined sugar...more water...less FUN (I love my sugar cereals too!).

But one thing I wanted to suggest (since I really do feel like your soul mate on this topic) is the thought that there is something more to the "bloat" idea...like Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)? I have IBS myself and honestly, can look "normal" one day and pregnant the next. I have the same visible muscle definition that you do, but my "gut" seems to come from internal bloating. I have found that eating smaller meals throughout the day helps, and I do try to limit my snacking at night.

Do you feel "full" in the morning? I do. I haven't had that lovely "empty" feeling since before I had kids. And just so you know, I teach step classes AND I do Cathe's workouts...just started STS. I feel I'm in great shape HEALTHWISE, but I'm never satisfied with my appearance. (What woman truly is?)

So anyway, I wish you the best. You truly are in great shape...but I know exactly how frustrated you feel. Good luck with whatever direction you take.

:D MEECHER

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be really brave and post a pic of my body. I can not seem to get rid of my belly fat. I am doing cardio, step and weights and NOTHING HELPS. This seems to be the only area that I can't get to trim down. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.
I'm 45, 5'2" and weigh 120. I had 2 c sections at 37 and 40. BTW I HATE ab work, but i read that doing abs doesn't help if you don't get rid of the overling fat first?????

ellie

You look GREAT to me! I am impressed you look so lovely and after two C-Section children?

You have a very nice body!

Thank you all for the nice compliments.

I am just getting really frutrated because i have been working so hard and getting nowhere. My workout manager page is full from all the stuff I've done this month. Plus, I've been to Cathe's 3 times. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I heard that stress can cause cortisol levels to rise, thus storing fat in the belly. Maybe I need to chill out a little.
I will try the Clean eating and less carbs at night. I do drink lots of water and am very active with my boys.

Breakfast- oatmeal and 1tsp PB
Snack-babana
lunch- yogurt and fruit
dinner- chicken and veggies (sometimes potato)
snack- bowl of cereal

That doesn't sound sooooo bad does it. Could I not be eating enough!!! I read that somewhere too. Maybe I'm just hoping!!!!

Thanks
ellie

My specialty is sports nutrition but for how active you are, you do not look like you're eating enough,that causes your body to hold on. and I would try to keep heaviest carb intake earlier, unless you're training at night. balnce your insulin eat some protein with your carbs to slow increase in sugar/insulin.that can cause usto hold onto mid fat. and yes cortisol from stress or insufficient sleep in the DARK can produce cortisol which can lead to midsection body fat. BTW you look great!

First of all, YOU LOOK GREAT...no matter what you think! AND KUDOS to you for being BRAVE enough to post a picture. (I took pix of myself too, but am *way* too self-conscious to post mine! Maybe I'll send you one privately!!!)

I know, however, since I'm in EXACTLY THE SAME BOAT AS YOU, that NO AMOUNT of people telling you that you're gorgeous is going to make you feel better about yourself! Unfortunately, that's just the way it is! Everyone thinks I look "just fine," but I swear I don't. ("Gosh darnit," I say..."CATHE has had two kids and is in her 40s...there's just no excuse!!!" This is about the time my husband either walks out of the room or I am reminded that I'm not a full-time fitness professional...)
cereals too!).

But one thing I wanted to suggest (since I really do feel like your soul mate on this topic) is the thought that there is something more to the "bloat" idea...like Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)? I have IBS myself and honestly, can look "normal" one day and pregnant the next. I have the same visible muscle definition that you do, but my "gut" seems to come from internal bloating. I have found that eating smaller meals throughout the day helps, and I do try to limit my snacking at night.

:D MEECHER

This is me too! my stomach is somewhat "flatter" in the mornng, but as soon as I eat, whomp, there it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have fibrious tumors on the outside of my uterus that my Dr. feels could be contributing to this, especially around that time of month...As Shania Twian sings, "man, I feel like a woman", don't like it sometimes:)

I agree that you look great! I would love love love to be 120 again. But I suppose no matter how small we are, we are never happy with ourselves. I gained 55 pounds with my last pregnancy and not because I "ate because I was pregnant" as one poster wrote above about her friend. (I think that no one eats because they are pregnant -- hormones cause people to eat more and differently than usual, mine was stress eating... anyway...). I think the poster who wrote that possibly the c-sections are partly to blame is right on the money. This last delivery was my second c-section, and my tummy is bloated and droopy too. Though mine is MUCH MUCH MUCH larger than yours (I'm about 45 pounds heavier than you :confused:). Anyway, maybe talk to your doctor and ask if this is something that you can do on your own. I definitely wouldn't ever resort to a tummy tuck if I looked as great as you, but if it's beyond your control, then you'll know it and you can quit being so hard on yourself.

And don't you dare give up your sugary cereal. It's not the culprit. Your diet is so sparse, you deserve a little treat at the end of your day, girl! Life is short. Go for the mini-wheats. :)

And quit obsessing. You look fabulous!! :)

Bye bye bellyfat!

You look GREAt!.
If you are doing all the right things and it is not working then research about menopause.
My hunch is that perhaps you have hormone imbalance. Or estrogen dominance. I am in menopause and in the last year have not been able to rid the belly fat but am in shape otherwise. Presently I am in a huge learning curve about menopause and the changes it brings to our bodies. The information is really an eye opener. If you google belly fat and menopause then you have the info at your finger tips. hth.

Ellie, I personally think you're one hot mama. And not just physically either. Why do none of us give ourselves the credit we deserve for being well rounded women! Honestly, you've been through so much & you have such a phenomenal attitude. You're smart, funny, outgoing, enthusiastic & loving. All that plus you way 120 lbs--WTH do you want from yourself anyway? ;)

Anyway, all I can tell you is after I turned 40 I gained some extra fat. The only thing that got rid of it for me was a seriously restrictive diet that I cannot live on for the rest of my life. Once I go off the diet, either I gain the weight back or I stabilize, but either way will be OK by me.

A doc told me recently that I weighed what I did, even after various diets & lots of exercise, b/c that's the weight my body wanted to be. So I'll never be Cathe, but I'll be OK in my own skin. Pretty sage advice, I think. :)

You definitely look great.

With the stress you have I certainly would suspect cortisol. Cathe's nutrition calculator says to eat 4500 mg potassium. We questioned the amount ( others say 3700 mg). JannR e-mailed the program provider and they gave us the DRI report from the Institute of Medicine.

Long story short the increased amount of potassium is necessary if you have normal salt intake( not recommended amt) . It also fights cortisol.

It is very difficult to get enough potassium. You are definitely not getting enough from the sample of your meals.

I hope this helps.

Joan

Joan-- do you take a potassium supplement? Also I''ve always heard that too much potassium is bad for the heart... But I'm very interested in the fact that it battles cortisol. Guess I'll have to learn to like bananas.

Don't you find it funny that you came here to vent about your belly but all everyone can say is "Wow... great legs?"

My pouch is twice as big as yours AND I have stubby legs! Trust me. You look great.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.