Need Help w/Boot Camp Core Work

faiza

Cathlete
Hello All!

I have a question about 2 core exercises that Cathe does in Boot Camp that target the obliques. There's one in Cycle #1 where the ball is resting on the side of the core and you are sinking up and down with the ball placed on the side of your core. I am new to this type of exercise so I cannot gage if the side that is being worked is the one the ball is on, or the one facing the floor.

Similarly, in Cycle #5 there is another move where you are positioned just like the exercise mentioned above but the medicine ball is not used. You bring the elbow of the top arm down towards the ground. Again, I do not understand if you are working the upper side of your core, or the side facing the ground.

Thanks much!! I cannot wait for your helpful pointers :)
-Faiza-

Both exercises work on balance and stability, and would therefore engage the whole core area, but the first one will work the oblique that is toward the ground more (think of lifting up, or pushing up, with that side of the body). The second move seems to not target any particular part of the core, but to be a good, all-around challenge for the entire core.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.