need help from exercise instructors

Melinda65

Cathlete
Hi,

I've been teaching senior exercise classes for 2 years now and feeling like I'm in a slump. I want to do something different, but feel I've run out of ideas.

How do you put to gether new routines without them being the same old thing?

Thanks,

Melinda

Hi, Melinda! Depending on the mode that you're instructing, here are a couple of suggestions:

If you teach a cardio/toning format, consider switching to a toning/cardio format for a class-format change.

Again, without knowing what mode or modes you're instructing, if you're getting stale in the choreography department here's a trick that I've found useful (if a bit time-consuming) in the past to reshuffle things - LITERALLY:

Take all of your moves and steps, taking care to make them single moves (i.e. grapevine, chassee, step-turn, etc.), and write each and every one of them on a 3X5 file card. And separate arm movements from leg movements. Now, take the whole stack of file cards and shuffle them as if it were a deck of playing cards, and then take the newly shuffled stack by two-card or four-card, creating new combinations.

That might be the most helpful way especially with a senior class, where familiarity with specific movements is crucial for safety as well as effectiveness. Same moves, different combos. Never fails.

Also check out the Turnstep.com moves and patterns boards for ideas!

Hope this helps -

A-jock

Thank A-jock. Part of my problem is that I have to limit the moves for several reasons. 1. we are on carpet, so I don't like to have too many fancy foot moves that could get their feet caught on the carpet. 2. I may only have 1/4 of the class able to do certain moves and I don't want to alienate the rest 3. they just aren't able to do vary complicated things, so I have to keep it simple and this is where I'm getting bored.

You know, I'm probably more bored with it than they are. Only a few could probably do with a change, and they're the ones who learn things quickly.

Here's what I use right now. We have a play ball, dowel, hand weights and a flex band. I do shift things around a bit. I'm thinking it's my way of putting together a class that is making things more difficult. I actually make a tape of music or a cd so the music is in order the same time every time. Then I put together a routine for each song. I will alternate between different props. Guess it's just that there's only so many things I can think to do with the ball and the facility I'm in. Same with the dowel, weights and flex band.

I think I will check out turnstep and see if I can get some new ideas. I don't feel very creative on my own.

Thanks

Hey, Melinda! Isn't group fitness instruction a trip? Gotta be all things to all people in one short session, over and over again!

Have you considered branching out and teaching different modes to different populations? Maybe that might also help you keep your interest alive for your senior classes, which I imagine can indeed get very limiting.

We "GFI's" gotta stick togethah!

A-jock

Hi Melinda,

I have been lurking for about 5 months now. I too teach a Seniors exercise class. I'm not sure how limited your folks are, mine are really limited with what they can SAFELY do. Actually I'm a Physical Therapist Assistant and I work in long term care. I do an exercise class for the Nursing Home residents and one for the Assisted Living Residents. I too seem to get bored before the residents do. I do mostly seated exercises but I've added some kickboxing to spice up the routine. They love to do speedbag, jabs, hooks, uppercuts, & front kicks. I even run around the room and spare with them, they think that is great! For the dowel, I'll do paddling(like a canoe), sweeping the porch, casting a fishing line etc. I'll use two weighted balls and divide them up into 2 teams and have races to see who can pass the ball the quickest. That's some of what I do. I'll take any sugestions you or any one else has to offer. Good Luck

Christie :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.