Need Help for Diet Plan

kimstarr

Hey Everyone!
I just wanted to get some opinions on what the best ways are to decide on the right amount of Fat and Calories. I've used magazine articles, web sites, etc. and I get different answers. I guess really the question is how long should you give an eating plan before you change something in the diet itself? I am about 5'4 and I eat approximately 1500 calories and about 30-40 grams of fat per day. I've been exercising Cardio 30-60 minutes a day about 5 days a week w/ some strength training about one hour a week total (MIS once so far) I know its lacking. Anyway, I've been doing this about 3 weeks now and see some change but I'm thinking if I change my diet I may see better results. My diet is mostly yogurt, wheat toast, chicken breast, potatoes and (sometimes chocolate!) some fruit and cereal, bagels. Any help would be sooo nice. Thank You!

Well, I don't want to write one of the epic posts I'm known for, but I have to chime in. Most people cannot digest wheat and dairy very well, they aren't naturally easy for us to digest. I also believe wholeheartedly in food combining, which teaches you what foods not to mix in the same meal for better digestion and a way way better metabolism and overall health.

I've been following that for over a year, it's relatively easy to learn and follow and I've lost a lot of weight and I'm the healthiest I've ever been. If you can get to a library, check out some good books and do a little research to see what you think. You might find that a lot of the info speaks to you the way it did to me. I used to eat a diet that sounds very similar to yours now, so that's what makes me think that.

I found that Fit for Life, by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond, is THE best resource out there on food combining, dairy intake, protein intake and learning what times of day are best for eating what types of food. There is a natural cycle that works well for the way the body digests. I also loved Marilu Henner's first book, Total Health Makeover. It's got lots of good info too, though the previously mentioned book is my fave. I have given several friends a copy of The False Fat Diet, which actually isn't a diet per se, it's about food allergies and reactions. Most people have adverse reactions to at least some foods they eat, so that's a GREAT resource for learning about that.

Just some ideas for you.

Hey Lex, Thank you for the tips. I will try some different combinations and check out their web site. Is Fit for Life the same people doing Body for Life? I think there is something called Body for Life also. Anyway, Thanks.

Kimstarr

I know you weren't asking me:-shy but in case you were still wondering, Body for Life and Fit for Life are not the same. Not even close,if what I have heard about Body for Life is correct.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-01 AT 11:36AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi KZN/Kimstar,
You are right, Body for Life and Fit for Life are very different from each other. Body for Life guildlines are to eat six small meals a day with a portion of protein and complex carb at each meal. Two of the meals should have a fruit/veggies added to it. The food ratio is 40/40/20. You can also supplement shakes and bars at two to three meals. BFL also wants you to exercise six days a week by doing three days of cardio and three days of weight work dividing upper and lower body.

Sorry I don't know too much about Fit for Life, but Lex took care of that. I hope my little descripition helps. I hope you find the plan that works for you because it is so important to find something that you can make part of your lifestyle and not something temporary until the pounds go away.

Good Luck!!:D

Terri

Kim,
You have a lot of complex carbs in your diet. It has always been my opinion yogurt is really not a diet product. I would suggest for about three weeks you cut out (or strictly limit) the yogurt & bagels; watch your serving sizes and sugar content on the cereal; and really limit your taters. Mix up your meats, don't eat just chicken. Try to eat a lot of veggies, salads and fresh fruits (easy on the fruits, too, because they are still sugar)
I am not an Atkins fan and don't think you should eliminate carbos, just the heavy ones. Most of us eat way too many carbs. You can eat salad, and maybe try eating whole grain crackers in moderation to satisfy your carb craving. Potatoes in moderation. Also what you are putting on them: maybe substitute salsa on your spuds for margarine, butter, etc.
If you don't see at least some results in 3-6 weeks, you probably have another hidden enemy in your diet somewhere. Watch your lables for sugars, salts, dairy, etc.

Good luck.

Thanks Kristina, your plan sounds like a good idea to give my diet a new approach. I was wondering what types of low-carb things are good for breakfast? I am so used to eating cereal or toast. And I think you're right, I probably do need to eat less sugar and more vegetables. Thank you for your help, I guess I'll also scroll through the "breakfast foods" thread for more ideas.

Kimstarr

Hi! I just had to respond. I agree with Lex on the diet plan outlined by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond and by Marilu Henner. I have read both books Lex mentioned and follow most of their diet advice (sometimes I'm not real strict with the food combining though). Although I only had a few pounds to lose, I've struggled with those 5-10 pounds for years! I just love the results of this diet plan! I'm down to the weight I want and I didn't even find it difficult!

One other thing, I typically have a ferocious sweet tooth. The Diamonds and Henner recommend you eat fruit for breakfast. They further recommend that you drink only water or fresh fruit juice (I just drink water), but you can eat as many servings of fruit you need to satisfy you, but nothing else,up until about noon (there are reasons for this, which I won't go into). I have followed this advice and the real bonus is that I don't really crave those cookies or ice cream at night anymore!!!

If I try to substitute fruit during a chocolate craving... forget it! But I guess eating fruit earlier in the day heads off the craving in the first place! Surprised me!

Sorry to go on like this, but hope it helps!

Kathy

Hi back, Kimstarr.
Myself, I like to have fruit for breakfast too because it's portable and easy. I also occasionally have a hard boiled egg (I can cook ahead); dry cereal (brand low in sugars); low fat granola mix; whole grain pancakes (I make them ahead and freeze em, them pop them in the toaster in the morning: you can buy healthy grain mix at most grocery stores nowadays); fresh fruit smoothies (really great in the summer--ice, strawberry, honey. yumm!)
Don't try to be perfect, just try to be good. Don't eat anything you normally were eating all the time for awhile. Keep us posted.

You know what? I, too, find that my sweet tooth is almost a nonissue and I never thought about it being related to my Fit for Life morning routine. Interesting, but I'll bet is does have a lot to do with it. Thanks for the idea and I'm glad you're enjoying it too.

I also have read Marilu's books and follow her advice. Ever since I picked back up her book (thanks to Lex :)) and then her follow up books, I have never felt better. I no longer touch red meat, diary or refined sugars....and don't miss it a single bit either. I don't always food combine but since I don't eat much animal protein anymore, it's not a big issue for me when I do mis-combine an occasional meal. But, I can tell a difference in how fast I digest a meal.

I just started doing the all fruit (I like smoothies) in the morning this week. I really do feel much better. I don't get that 10:00 am slump that I used to always get and I have a lot more energy. I've never had a really big sweet tooth so I can't really comment on that but it does make perfect sense.

http://www.fitmomsonline.com/Alli.gif

I checked out informtaion on the Fit for Life book at Barnes&Noble, and there were so many good testimonials. I Know I will have to get that book soon!

Check ebay for the Fit for Life book. I got it for $4.00 including shipping. I also got Marylu Henners book and Suzzane Sommers book to do some reading and comparison.

I have just started to incorporate some of the theories of Fit for Life. I am doing the all fruit in the morning. I don't think I can completely give up dairy like they suggest. I will try to reduce it. I am sure I will never give up meat completely. I have lost weight in the last two weeks, which leaves me with about 5 more pounds or so. We'll see how things go.
Dawn

I have recently read Marilu Henner and "Fit for Life". I was very shocked when I read the section on dairy. I am slowly trying to wean my family from it. We have tried veggie cheese and soy milk. My husband and two year old have made the switch pretty easily. The hard ones are my 11 and 12 year old. Rice Dream ice cream is so expensive. Any suggestions for good snacks for hungry kids getting off the school bus? They are both naturally very slim and are used to loding up on icecream chips etc... after school.

Donna

Hi Donna,
I think the best "cheese" out there is made by Soya Kaas. I make a version of mac and cheese with it. Hubby and kids love it. It does have casinate in it which is a protein derived from milk. I have not heard of a vegan cheese that tastes better than cardboard though.

After school snacks can be fun. I make a trail mix with cashews, peanuts and or almonds, banana chips, raisins, and a diary free cereal...usually Barbara's Shredded Spoonfuls (these are SO yummy!!). My kids devour these. Also there's a fruit roll up type of treat called Fruit Leather. It's made with fruit and fruit juice only. There are healthier chips out there that don't contain dairy, sugar or any of the other junk out there. There's also dairy free pizza bites but I can't remember who makes them.

Imagine foods makes dairy free pudding cups as well. Oh, I also freeze the leftovers from my morning smoothies into popsicles for the kids.

I just started making the Peanut butter, jelly and banana quesadilla's from Louis Lanza's Totally Dairy Free book. You take 2 7 grain flour tortilla's (dairy free of course), put peanut butter (I buy the kind that is peanuts and salt only), jelly (polaner is a good kind) and some banana on one of the tortilla's, place the other on top. Melt some soy butter (Earth Balance is awsome!) in a pan over med. heat. Brown both sides and cut into triangles. My kids love these too!

Silk soy milk is carried by most grocery stores now. It's really good. My daughter drinks 1/2 soy milk and 1/2 rice dream in her bottles now. It's really not bad.

If you need more idea's, you can go to the boards over at http://www.marilu.com and ask. They are wonderful over there and will help you with any questions you have.

Oh...I meant to add that Soy Delicious ice cream is incredible! We like it much more than the Rice Dream. If you buy it, make sure you get the quart size. The ones made in the pint size are made differently and I've heard that they're not that good.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.