Need back tips

LMO

All the advice I can get that will help prevent back arching would be very much appreciated. I feel like when I get to the end of reps (shoulders and biceps) that I begin to arch my back. If there is a special way to prevent that I know I can work my muscles even harder. Please advise... cathe.... anyone...

Hi!

I think that when you start to get tired or the weight starts to get too heavy is when you start to sacrifice form. I would either suggest you lower your weight a bit or take a brief break, get your body back in "good-form" and start again. Hope this helps. Take your time building up to the heavier weights and all the reps. Hope this helps!! DebbieH

I know the feeling

What I do is tuck my pelvis and contract my abs--that prevents the back arching. Then I visualise this core strength helping me with the tough load.Then I slow down and keep the best form I can til I reach failure. Good luck.
--Ann

using a back rest...

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-00 AT 06:53PM (EST)</font></center>

I have been known to stand flat against a wall while doing standard barbell curls. If my body moves away to hoist that weight up...I know I am cheating and need to drop down in weight.

No matter how much weight is on your bar..your muscles will only work their hardest with good controlled motion and proper form.

nancy:O)

back advice

Along with the others advice, I would suggest strengthening your abs as much as possible. I have alot of back pain and have found that doing alot of ab work helps me keep my form while lifting weights. I agree that you may be using too much weight.

Laura

Thank you all

Thank you all for your good advice. I also got some advice from my friend who says tightening your buttocks also helps. :)

Along with ab work

don't neglect to work your back. I teach a class twice a week and I never do ab work without also doning back work. That balance is so important. And keep those abs pulled in to protect the back during all exercise.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.