Need Alternatives to Running

Kimba

Cathlete
I'm not interested and there's no way I'm running on concrete (knees). There's not atrack in my area, either. Frankly, I'd be bored silly just *running* for longer than 10 minutes. Reminds me of stair climbing. I loved it, but it bored me silly.

Suggestions? Play a regular workout tape and just jog during it? LOL! I've been known to do that when Cathe gets TOO high impact ;)

RE: Try Jump-Roping?

Hi, Kimba! Maybe a jump-roping workout would be a good substitute for running. I know there are several jump-rope workout videos available through Collage Video: "Freestyle Roping" (I can't remember the presenters' names) and Michael Olajide's jump roping video (Olajide is a former professional boxer who co-starred in a Kathy Smith video "Aerobox"; the jump roping video he did himself).

You could incorporate fast-paced intervals and slower, power jump intervals into one workout.

Just a thought . . .

Annette

Hi Kimba,

Your question is unclear. Are you looking for an outdoor cardio activity that's easy on the knees? Looking for modifications to Cathe's cardio workouts? Or looking for low-impact cardio tapes? There's plenty of ideas & opinions around here if you clarify what you're looking for.

Debra

Rebounding

If you want the benefits of jogging, without the impact on joints, I'd suggest rebounding. You can run in place on it, use jumprope moves on it, or use one of several videos available (you could also do Cathe's "too high impact" moves on it, which is what I plan to do with MIC's hi-lo segment). If you think you'll get into it, I highly recommend a quality rebounder, which, unfortunately, are quite pricey (around $200), but have 5-10 year guarantees on most parts (except springs, which are guaranteed for only a year).

Michael Olajide!! Be still my heart!

It's not pounding from jump roping, either! LOL! I am madly in love with this man. I have Kathy Smith's "Aerobox" and don't even do the workout. I just stare at him. LOL!

I will try the jump rope section of the video, however. His tape is pretty expensive and I'll look for that other jump rope workout at Half.com

Thanks!!

I was wondering the same thing (rebounding)

Is it like a trampoline? I love exercise equiptment! Don't tempt me ;)

Debra, looking for indoor alternatives

I have asthma and have to be careful about working out outdoors. Between the concrete and air pollution I'd be dead!

RE: Rebounder = Trampoline

Yes, a rebounder is a mini-trampoline by any other name, just tricked up to look mod. I'm sure the Rebounder Police will be quick to point out the differences between the Y2K Rebounder and the Oldie Moldie '80's trampoline, but whatever. Everything Old Is New Again!

And Miss Kimba, gotta say "ditto" on the Olajide throb. I may be married, but I got eyes! :)

Annette

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.