My cancer ruined my 2 years of hard work

Na,
Please add my good wishes to your long list, with all this support, you're going to feel better fast. I too have had friends and family members with cancer. My nephew at age 9 (back to first string football now in high school), and friends at work too. I would suggest you contact the "Look Good Feel Better" program. The American Cancer Society should be able to provide you with information. They will help you deal with hair loss, make up, and other things to help you look good even if you don't feel that great. How about reading Lance Armstrong's book It's Not About the Bike. He's the 3 or 4 time winner of the hardest bicycle race in the world, the Tour De France. He had cancer and came back to win the race again and again. You might also find something about Scott Hamilton the olympic ice skater who had cancer and is now skating pro again. These people being althetes might inspire you. My friend belongs to a Cancer Wellness Center and attends support groups. She also started taking yoga. Everyone has offered such great advice, please share some of your advice with us. Tell us what you're learning. We're here for you!
Best wishes,
dlaudy

Na,

Wow, you have really been through a horrific time. But, the good news is that you are almost on the other side and you are a survivor! Congratulations. Think of all the people you are able to influence and inspire with your survivor story. Good for you!!!!

I had a double mastectomy 2 years ago in April. I am getting ready to turn 44 in a week. I still feel like I am about 80, but I am so lucky that my cancer was caught in the early stages. I had a lumpectomy first. They found more cancer than they expected, so I later opted for the mastectomy for my own peace of mind. I just didn't want to go through life worrying about every lump I felt in my breast. I have just finished wiht my breast reconstruction. Actually, I am having something else done in August to fill in some "hollow spots."

I did not have to go through chemo like you. I cannot even begin to imagine how tired you feel and how down you are about your appearance. Once your chemo is over, you can slowly get back in the swing of things. I would just try walking, yoga, and pilates. You don't want to do too much too quickly. I found out from all my reconstruction surgeries that I would try to jump right back into my routine too soon. Then, it would take even longer to get back into my workout routine.

You are such a brave woman. I am going to attend a ceremony today where some friends of ours are renewing their wedding vows after 30 years. My friend is 47 and has had breast cancer, brain cancer, and most recently bone cancer. She has had 20 rounds of chemo since November with the heavy hitter drugs. She had to have it to fight the cancer and keep it from spreading. She has an incredible faith in God. I don't know how she has remained so strong. Most of the time she doesn't wear her wig because it's too hot and uncomfortable. I love to see her working in the yard with her bathing suit on. She is not ashamed of being out there with no hair. I don't think I could be the same way! She is just so happy to be alive that she has been willing to endure anything for a chance of survival. If you can't tell, Beth is my hero and my mentor. I only wish that I could endure all of life's trials like she has with so much grace, faith, and sense of humor! Beth has just been given the go-ahead to exercise. She hasn't been able to exercise since October and was a faithful member of the Y. She was there every morning at 4:45AM!!!!

Sorry, I got off track to brag about my friend. You are wonderful too, and you need to cut yourself a break. I look in the mirror everyday and realize my body is changed forever. But, it does beat the alternative. I need to do a better job of eating properly. I exercise regularly, but I also exercise too much with my fork going to my mouth.

You will get back to "normal." But, I think your definition of normal will never quite be the same. That's a good thing because I don't think you are going to be taking so much for granted. I look at my children in new ways now, and I am really trying to stop sweating the small stuff. Check in your area for a cancer support group. It helps so much to talk with someone going through the same emotions and physical changes that you have encountered.

I know you are a beautiful person inside. I am confident that your outward beauty will get back to normal before you know it. If you have only gained 10 pounds, you have done so wonderfully. My friend had a lot of trouble with water weight. Once you are finsished with the chemo, you may end up thinner than before. Please be patient with yourself and allow yourself to deal with what has happened.

Please let us know how you are doing. Sorry I have rambled so much. I could really identify with what your message. I will be praying for you also. Take care!!

Lu

Wow Lu! That was not rambling at all! You & your friend are both heroes! It's so great when you hear someone's story who has gone thru what you have and still can think on the positive side. Congrats on being a survivor and Good Luck with your follow-up surgery.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

My heart goes out to you Na. I am sure all of your hard work left you in a much healthier position before your surguries. I had a partial hysterectomy for cancer many years ago. I am lucky I did not have to endure the chemo. I have had family that has gone through that and I know it is very hard. I have had to have a couple of other surguries as well. In my experience you can use your determination to bounce back and come back stronger than ever. Take care of yourself and keep up the hard work. I know you can do it and overcome any obstacles.
Diane Sue

Hi Na,
I just did a search on cancer and read your post. I was just wondering how you were doing?

I was recently diagnosed with colon cancer. I just had surgery to remove the tumor and my colon was resectioned. Everything seems to be working again.

In about 4 weeks my doctors said I could resume exercising and I was wondering what kind of exercise program you are following?

Can you recommend any good books on nutrition?

Thanks,
Joyce

I am a cancer survivor (melanoma) and found a couple of books to be very helpful. One is titled "What to eat if you have cancer" It helps you chose foods for not only their nutritional value, but offers tips on what to do to handle nausea etc. There is also a companion cookbook offering simple to make meals that feed the body well but are not overwhelming. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I second all the emotions here. That body of yours will look good again. But you know, if I saw you, I'd say "Look at that beautiful strong body which has beat back a life threatening illness, surgeries, all kinds of assaults. That gal is gorgeous." Judge yourself gently and be proud of what a warriro you are.

The key here: what you are going through is temporary. I like when someone said to me once, "Instead of saying I am in pain, say Pain is passing through me". This cancer of yours is on its way out. And dare I say that maybe foregoing exercise some days is a better idea - after all fighting cancer takes tremendous strength that perhaps some days a work out might drain you of. Keep yourself healthy in all ways: a healthy diet (check out web sites on this - all kinds of great info) anything that makes you laugh out loud - The Simpsons does it for me, great books, great and positive people.

Please keep us all posted. And email back if you need anything else. Keep the faith. I;ll be praying for you.

Thank you everyone. I have been feeling so much better. I have finished my last chemo on June 11. My hair is grazing the surface of my head and my body is feeling stronger. I started to exercise with Cathe again. My physical condition is not where I want it to be, but I keep plugging it away.

Thank you for your support and care. That meant so much to me. Your encouragement made me feel that I was alone.
Na

That is wonderful Na! If you can exercise to Cathe at ANY level, that is saying a LOT! Your determination to keep pugging away will get you there! I'm also glad to hear you are feeling so much better. Keep us posted and know we are still thinking and praying for you. HUGS!!!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.