my breast (cancer) surgeon asked me...

MichS

Cathlete
... what in the world I've been doing to get back so quickly from chemo! I had a HUUUUGE smile on my face yesterday when I met with him! He was floored when I showed him how I could now do push-ups (on my toes!!!) despite having had a bilateral mastectomy! (I dropped right in the exam room for a demo!) :)

Anywhoo, I told him that I was eating "cleanly" and exercising with your DVDs. I've gone from not being able to walk to my own mailbox without support to doing Hiit (with lots of modifications!). So.... THANK YOU!!

xxoo, Michele

PS. I haven't had reconstruction yet but see the plastic surgeon in a couple of weeks. My cancer surgeon tells me that the plastic guy will be thrilled with what he has to work with. What an ego boost! Throughout this whole cancer journey, I haven't cared one little bit about my appearance (just wanted to live to see my babies grow up), but I have to admit that it was nice to hear him say that!

(((((Michele))))))...I am SO VERY PROUD OF YOU!!!! Wow, you are so incredibly inspiring and so fit. I can't tell you how happy I feel after reading your post. You are right, your overall health is MUCH more important than your physical appearance, that is for sure, but the big bonus in achieving physical strength is that it feeds your emotional and mental strength and keeps you strong for all the challenges life brings us. You are incredible Michele. Have a wonderful Mother's Day :)

... what in the world I've been doing to get back so quickly from chemo! I had a HUUUUGE smile on my face yesterday when I met with him! He was floored when I showed him how I could now do push-ups (on my toes!!!) despite having had a bilateral mastectomy! (I dropped right in the exam room for a demo!) :)

Anywhoo, I told him that I was eating "cleanly" and exercising with your DVDs. I've gone from not being able to walk to my own mailbox without support to doing Hiit (with lots of modifications!). So.... THANK YOU!!

xxoo, Michele

PS. I haven't had reconstruction yet but see the plastic surgeon in a couple of weeks. My cancer surgeon tells me that the plastic guy will be thrilled with what he has to work with. What an ego boost! Throughout this whole cancer journey, I haven't cared one little bit about my appearance (just wanted to live to see my babies grow up), but I have to admit that it was nice to hear him say that!

xxoo, Michele

Just so awesome! i am smiling from ear to ear after reading your post. Congrats!

Kristin

xxoo, Michele

Michele, I truly hope that you will resubmit this post exactly as you have written it here for the Success Story iPod contest. I know that your experience is prize enough in itself, but I can't remember the last time I myself read something so inspiring.

Cute story for you: many women think that I'm bald from chemo when actually I'm only bald from alopecia, which is about as innocuous as it gets. One day a few weeks ago DH and I were walking through our neighborhood; a woman was driving by, slowed, stopped and hollered out the window, "ROCK ON, SISTER!!!" We chatted and I explained I was not a cancer survivor-hero, and she explained that she indeed was. We finished our conversation thusly:

ME: "I like not having to deal with hair!"

SHE: "I like not having to deal with a bra!"

(I'd put on about 23 smiley icons but I don't know how.)

Rock on, Sister, and do consider submitting your Success Story for the iPod!

Love,

A-Jock

Last edited:
Michelle:
What a nice post and inspiring story, and good for you for recovering so well. I love reading these kinds of posts. It'll make me happy the rest of the evening. I agree with Annette: submit your story as a success story :D

Take care!

That's just wonderful Michele! Congratulations on your perseverance and dedication! It takes such strength just to get through that and then to build your fitness right back up like that! You are an amazing woman!

That is so awesome Michele! You are an amazing woman and a tremendous inspiration. I agree, you should def submit this to success stories!!!!!!

Thanks, everyone, for making my day!

But honestly, *everyone* who battles BC is strong. It isn't like you have a choice!

The *choice* is did have was to get fit after chemo. I wanted nothing more than to hunker down with a bottle of wine and a bag of Reeses for days on end... But, when you read all of those studies about how BC recurrance drops when the patient exercises... Well, I looked at my kids and got out my step!

We are all so lucky here that we have someone like Cathe to guide us!! She makes exercising fun, challenging, and effective! Don't ya'll agree?! ;)

xxoo, Michele

PS. Had my oncologist appt yesterday (I have these appts every 12 weeks) and he was floored too!! After that appt I needed a bit of "retail therapy" (stressful to talk about BC and the "what ifs") and went shopping. I was a size 2!!!!!!!!!!! Holy cow! A 2!!!! Haven't been a 2 since college. Wow. Thanks again, Cathe!

Last edited:
Wow Michele! Very good story. Very inspiring and motivational. You make me want to go out and do great things too. What a strong lady.

You are an inspiration, Michele. When I start whining and complaining about my life, and my aches and pains and "waaa waaa waaa I don't FEEL like working out today", I am going to think of you and I know that will set me straight and put everything into perspective. Thank you for sharing!

Wow, Michele, you are amazing! Lots of thoughts & prayers as you go thru your reconstruction! Give those kids a HUG!!! Happy Mother's Day to you! Ajock, here are 23 smilies for you! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

best wishes for a speedy recovery michelle! congrats on all the compliments, you deserve every one of them! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.