My Amy Bento's workouts are here

stayfit

Cathlete
They shpped the DVDs on Saturday and I have received them today. Fast shipment. I received an Amy's message and a green rubber bracelet with the words Stay Energized on it. I am very happy. Time to preview the hi/low and the kickbox workout I ordered.

Mariángeles a spanish terminator and Turbo Jam junkie. :)

That's great. I ordered through CK sales so I don't expect mine for a while. But I would love to hear some reviews.

Lisa

Cool! I should have my new set by Friday... I'm really anxious to try as I have never bought from her before.

I got mine yesterday too. I am going to try to do it for the 1st time tomorrow or Thursday...I did cardio today so I may do weights tomorrow. I'll report back too on how I like it.

I just got mine too! Off to preview!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar02/flower02/lb/0/31/26/.png[/img][/url]

I have done the kickbox workout. First of all excuse my poor english. I have sweated. There you have the chapters:

warm up
combo 1
interval 1
combo 2
interval 2
combined 1 & 2
combo 3
interval 3
combo 4
interval 4
combined 3 &4
combo 5
interval 5
combined 5
cool down
core
bons bag
stretch

I think it's a great cardio workout but her kickbox form is bad. I think the moves are too fat to mantain the good form. I will modify a few moves. If you are learning kickboxing form I don't recomend this workout. Cathe's KPC still being my favorite kickboxing workout.

Mariángeles a spanish terminator and Turbo Jam junkie.

Mariangeles, lots of people have complained about her form being bad. My form isn't the greatest, but thanks to doing lots of Cathe and Janis Saffel I think I can get past that. BTW, I noticed the background exerciser to Amy's right has better form than Amy does, so I'll probably just look at her.

I didn't purchase All Pump but I'm kind of glad I didn't because her Hi/Lo Extreme has three premixes incoporating hi/lo with exercises from her All Pump workout. They look pretty good, almost like another Body Max 2 or Terminator workout. This one should kick my butt!

This is the first time I've bought any of Amy Bento's workouts. I just received Kickbox Extreme and All Pump Extreme in the mail today, and was so excited to try out Kickbox Extreme. Honestly, I didn't care for it. From viewing the preview, I could see Amy doesn't have good kickboxing form, but I didn't think that would really matter as long as I use proper form. Unfortunately, I found some of the combos she put together are hard to do with proper form. For example the jump up and side kick 2x. It looks more like a dancer leap, and I definitely felt like I could pull something. The music is good and motivating. I won't give up on this workout just yet, I may try it again and modify, those moves that I don't like, I'll just do my own thing.

Right now I am previewing All Pump, and that one may be more to my liking. Although, now that I know what to expect, I think I'll just stick with my new Cathe's and Jari Love's Ripped 1000 that should be here any day.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get better use from Kickbox Extreme, please share.

Iris

I definitely agree with the side kick 2x that I felt a bit strained in doing it. This workout is really quick and she does not do much instruction before the sequence of moves so I think I'd have to do this workout at least a couple times to really get it. However with that being said this could be one of my fav. workouts over time since although I like instruction in the beginning...after I get it I just want to skip over all that. This video will be more appreciated in the future is my guess. Music is good too.

I receive tomorrow... Wanted to just say that I think the TJAM w/outs are the same way.... Too Fast & poor form... add those gloves and if you arent smart you could hurt yourself! lol
I just take the good form I know from P90X & Cathe's most current Kicks and I slow down Charlenes moves... I will probably do the same w/ Amys...Sometimes FAST just isnt the goal. I do kickbox to get a fabulous upper / ab / leg w/out...got a zillion HIITs so I dont have to make any kickboxing into that. I ordered because I liked Amys personality & the fact she had modifiers in the group. Hopefully I will like her enough to add to my collection. I just gave away 19 DVDs because the instructors were't my cup of tea... Now I only have Cathe-P90X & these Amys. :)

I previewed Kickbox Xtreme last night and I agree with the side kick 2x looking like an injury waiting to happen. I got up and sort of actively previewed some of the moves (sometimes it's easier for me to learn choreo that way) and substituted 2 jumping jacks in its place. This worked well.

Overall, I think this looks like a good workout. I plan on doing it today so I'll let you know what I think after actually doing it. Her moves are fast with little breakdown but she does repeat them a lot. This is my first workout from Amy and while I agree her form is bad (and I'm no expert), I'm still impressed with the workout.

Sue

I got all of mine and so far I've done a premix on All Pump, a premix on Kickboxing and this morning I did Hi/Lo Extreme premix.

I love AMy's personality and have fun working out with her and I hate to say this - but her form is bad on the Kickboxing. I don't mind, as I know proper form and I will always modify a workout if something doesnt feel safe for my body. I had a difficult time following her Kickbox (I usually have difficulty with her step also). She doesn't break down enough for me...but she's intense and I like her, so I don't mind taking the time to do them over and over and learn them.

I think All Pump Extreme is a great DVD and I can't wait to do more of it. It uses lots of equipment....so set up time for me is a down side...as I work out in the living room and need to drag all of my equipment out there.

Hi-Lo Extreme is an intensity junkie's dream. I loved it and had so much fun this morning. I don't usually do hi/lo cuz I get back pain from it...but I feel fine so far....hope it stays that way cuz I can't wait to do this one again. It was much easier to follow than the other ones, although I did get a bit messed up on a couple combos.

I'm very happy with my purchase. Amy is a nice person also. I've spoken to her via email recently about some things.

Today I have done one of the premixes. I have done the All-Pump & Hi/Low combo (118 minutes). What a great circuit workout. I will be using this workout a lot. I am agree with Lorajc. Amy is a nice person also. I spoke with her via email too and she is very nice.

Mariángeles a spanish terminator and Turbo Jam junkie.

My favorite kickboxing workouts are PowerStrike Milleniums 1 & 2, and Cathe's KPC. I wasn't fond of KickMax and I've been starved for a full length (1 hour) kickboxing workout. Turbo Jam was too much booty shaking for my taste.

And so I ordered Kickbox Extreme with high hopes.

The good - Amy's personality, encouraging and very positive. She's full of energy and never appears winded. The music is different and I really liked it. The moves went well to the music. The background exercisers were well rehearsed and everyone synchronized beautifully (there is a modifyer, but her different moves did not detract from the rest). No downtime - I'm sure if I wore a HRM, it would be up there the entire time! I like how she does a combo, interval, 2nd combo, 2nd interval, then combines all of it - keeps things interesting. (note - there are 5 combos, 1&2, 3&4 are combined, then 5 stands alone with it's interval)

The bad - There's a steep learning curve to this as Amy does a somewhat complex sequence, repeats it 4 times, before moving onto the next sequence. Doesn't Cathe repeat sequences in KPC 12 times? Amy does 10 sequences, that's a lot for my tired brain to learn so fast!

The ugly - Form has been mentioned, but it goes deeper than that. It's the way the moves are put together that prohibits good form. I can't think of any other kickboxing workout that has you lead with your rear arm. Some of the kicks are done too fast to properly chamber. I think many moves were done for the sake of movement and not purpose. Instead of a few hard, clean, punches, Amy opts for speedbag arms to the side as you do some sort of running, dancy box-step. I modified greatly. Even opting to remove some of the jump-kicks for a single, well-executed kick.

I think the workout has a lot of potential. I'll try it again a time or two more to see if by being more familiar with the sequences and finding my own "groove" for modifications, I'll find it to be a keeper. Amy would do well to get the expertise of someone who choreographs kickboxing before venturing into another KB workout.

This was my first Amy Bento purchase. I like her, but will be scrutinizing the format of her workouts before purchasing another.

Diane

For those who have the Kickbox X-treme workout and/or the Hi/Lo X-treme workout, could you describe the drills that comprise the intervals? Could you also describe the premixes?

(confidential to Lorajc - thanks for the tip!)

TIA -

A-jock

Hi everyone,

I ordered and have now done all three of these. I just finished All Pump from start to finish and here are my impressions:

1. L-O-N-G. TWO HOURS from start to finish. I will definitely use the premixes as it is rare that I have that much time to work out & wouldn't have today except it is not a work day for me!

2. Lots of different equipment required, and only once is a modification given if you don't have the equipment. I have a Reebok step that doesn't have the risers and the chin ups require something like 10 risers, five for each side. I didn't have chairs handy that were tall enough (this is the substitution offered) so I couldn't do the chinups. Probably just as well since they looked HARD!!
You also need a body bar of a couple of different weights (I used barbells without the weight since I don't have body bars) and glider disks (I used a stability ball as a substitute for the pike move she used since I don't have glider disks)
I do have tubing, and just happened to buy a three tube interchangeable set at Wal Mart for $10 this morning so I was okay for that and I already have a step.

3. Some of the moves aren't explained all that well, and I had to stop a few times to figure out WTH she was doing---which hand held the tubing as opposed to which foot went into the stirrup of the tubing. If I had the patience to preview DVDs (I don't ever preview, I just do them--I want the workout to be FRESH the first time I do it) this would most likely solve that problem.

This workout (and the other two, IMHO) are heads and shoulders above her first set. She seems more comfortable, more aware that she is NOT in a live class, and All Pump at least is whoopless. Anyway she uses some different moves and I enjoyed the variety. I think it worked my muscles in a different way and that's what it's all about isn't it?

Leslie

I did Kickbox Xtreme today and got a really intense cardio workout. Some of the kickbox combos like the "body-body, uppercut, jawbreaker" did feel a little awkward and the form was pretty bad BUT I still loved this workout. There's a definite fun factor and originality to this workout. I'm also glad I previewed this one or I would have been really frustrated. Usually I dive right into new workouts but I definitely recommend previewing this one.

I also like Kathyrn's modifications (someone linked to a thread on VF in one of the posts below) so I may try those as well.

Now I want to order her Hi-Lo Xtreme! Good thing Christmas is coming soon so I can put it on my list. :)

Sue

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.