Martha wanna be magazine

morningstar

Cathlete
Hi guys,

My sister is a Martha Stewart wanna be. Williams Sonoma is her playground, she bakes and cleans all day while taking care of her two toddlers, each under 2 years. I would like to get her a magazine subscription. All this stuff is completely alien to me, so I just have no idea what would be a great magazine that would interest her month after month and just in general was an interesting magazine. I don't want to get her Martha Steward Living, because the woman just grates on me. Any suggestions?

I second Cook's Illustrated. I also like Fine Cooking.

Real Simple Magazine seems to have a nice mix of recipes, housekeeping tips. I only get the issue once in a while so I don't know if it would seem repetitive after a while.

Rachel Ray is a more casual version of Martha if she likes Rachel.

I'm a long-time subscriber to Real Simple (love it), and to Whole Living (formerly Body & Soul, which is a Martha Stewart magazine - more of a wholistic living type magazine). I also subscribe to Fine Cooking, Vegetarian Times and Eating Well. If she likes to cook, but is busy with the kids, and likes healthy food I'd recommend Eating Well - great magazine. Fine Cooking is definitely for a "foodie."

My mom likes Canadian Living and Chatelaine. I don't like Martha Stewart at all so i wouldn't buy any of her products or magazines.

I should probably mention that she loves to cook and bake, but is not at all into eating healthy, so I kinda need suggestions regarding magazines on the decadent side.

Offside: Elle! You're back! Yay! I love that you mentioned Canadian magazines! My grandma was a writer and editor for Chatelaine for many years.

This got me thinking. Took me awhile to think of an idea.
Does she like Sandra Lee? She's from Semi-homemade on food network channel. I would guess you get this channel in canada too? Sandra Lee has a magazine called Semi-homemade. On the show she always adds in her ideas for the decorations of the event, or just a dinner with a theme. Also, cocktail ideas to go with the theme. I haven't read the magazine, but i would think those ideas would be included. She also has lots of ideas on budget friendly food, decorations.

Food Network just started a mag. too. I can't remember the name. I think all the food network chefs take turns adding to that. So she would have a mix of all different kinds of food recipes.

Your sister and I would be great friends. I just got my first few issues of Martha Stewart Living and am in heaven. Yes, I'm a dork. My suggestions:

Since she's into decadent baking: Paula Deen magazine
Or... O at Home, O Magazine (if she likes Martha, she probably likes Oprah too.)
Southern Living
Better Homes and Gardens
Cooking Light

You can subscribe to many of the above at http://www.myreadforthecure.com/ for $10, and proceeds go to breast cancer research....

But I think you can't go wrong with Martha. I know you don't like her, but my subscription was just $20, and I got 12 issues of Martha Stewart Living, I think 6 issues or maybe 10 of Everyday Food, 4 specialty Martha Stewart Living issues and a Martha tote bag (which, yes, I will carry around!! :p).

I should probably mention that she loves to cook and bake, but is not at all into eating healthy, so I kinda need suggestions regarding magazines on the decadent side.

It sounds like your sister loves flavourful, good food, regardless of the calorie count (quite honestly, I agree with the philosophy). So, why not get her a Nigella Lawson cookbook? Sounds like it is perfect for her. Have you ever seen one of Nigella's cooking programs? She is a lush bodied, sensual woman who loves good food. She oozes all the things she likes to cook and play with in the kitchen: texture, flavour, butter, eggs, etc. My sister sounds like your sister and she swears by Nigella's recipes. Certainly when she makes them and brings them to family occasions for us, they are dived into by all of us with relish and abandon!

Clare

If Martha doesn't grate on her nerves, then just get her Martha Stewart Living. Nobody else does it quite like Martha.

Another vote for Fine Cooking and Bon Appetit is my all time favorite. I also really like the Food Network Magazine. These are all focused on cooking and not all of the crafty stuff that Martha does and includes in her magazine though.

Pam

I think you should really get the Martha Stewart magazine. She grates your nerves but its for your sister. Real Simple is good, but its not enough DIY/cooking to satisfy your sister. Cooks Illustrated is great, but I would recommend an online subscription - she would get unlimited access to product reviews, message board, videos, recipes, photos of the dish, etc. Definitely more bang for your buck.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.