Lurker Invitations July Check-In

Hello Everybody -

I did ME premix Lower body split. I was thinking this would be a huge amount of leg presses - all together with other leg exercises - my legs were feeling it. Yes - was right - lots of leg presses - not an all around leg workout though - not like the GS workout. What did I expect for 39 minutes? I was thrilled we did ABS again - that seemed like such a treat - I don't know why I get all excited about Abs. :eek:

Sailboat report: Now - I get one everyday from DH and thought I'd put the rest of you through it too. This is when he tells me who he has spoken with - what info he has gathered and where it is and how much. I appreciate the info I really do - but we seem to only talk about sailboats . . . ALL THE TIME!!:p

On other news - we have booked our vacation - will go down to Keuka Lake (NY) for a week in September. The cottage is right on the lake and DH is hoping to have a boat by then so we can use it that week. See how that sailboat slips in everywhere!!!

Life seems to be a little more back to normal since my Father passed - my Mom is doing a little better and decided to go to grief counseling - I think I can exhale now.

Janie - forgot to mention that I'm impressed with you having written a book - best of luck - I've always wanted to do something like that. Congratulations.

Laura - yep, impressive workouts. If you are doing all that no wonder you didn't have time to check in. Well, we'll be here when you are.

Michelle - hope your day in Quantico went well.

Hi to everyone else. - Hope you all have a great day and weekend!!!

Hi everyone,
Today was a light workout on the boat: from the Basic Step/BF dvd: upper body, lower body, and abs. I wasn't feeling super motivated but didn't want to blow off exercise today, so this was my compromise.

Shoegal: what do you mean: you don't want to talk about boats everyday? When Joe and I were in the market for Silver Lining 5 years ago, that's ALL we talked about. There was no other topic. But I'm probably an outlier among women who are part of a boating couple on this issue. I love the boat: love being on it, love working on it, cleaning it, etc. Hopefully, once you guys get a boat, you will get "bitten" by the boat bug. Glad to hear that your mom is doing something positive to deal with her grief.

Janie: TBS with heavy weight sounds interesting. I like doing the "beginner Cathe" workouts with heavier weights from time to time, although then I have to slow down on the reps. I'm thinking I'm going to have to get another pair of weights for the boat (8 or 10 pound dumb bells, for exactly that purpose). Right now I just have a 5 pound pair on the boat. Hmmm. Just have to figure out how to smuggle another set of weights aboard without Joe noticing.;)

Laura: great workouts plus those hikes, wow! Your legs must be majorly toned. You've mentioned previously that you need to lose a little more weight. I just can't believe it with the amount of activity in your life.

Shadowpup: how goes life?

Hi to Ironlady.
~michelle

Ok so I read back in the post a ways, maybe not all the way to the time my internet cut out but pretty close. Looks like everyone is doing well with their workouts and listening to their bodies. And most of all having Fun with them! Got to love Cathe, she really is the best, I am amazed that so far I haven't gotten bored with her routines, even the ones I have done over and over again.

Today I was in Boulder all day, ran errands while the girls were in their tutoring session, and then I took them and 2 of their school friends to the pool. Pretty easy lazy afternoon...

I got home early evening, got the dinner cooked for the girls and then headed up to the yurt to get my workout in which was GS C&T and then I was feeling good so decided to do the Cardio only premix from Low Impact Circuit (which i did not get around to earlier in the week from the rotation I am doing) I am less familiar with that rountine then others only having done it 2x before, but I am finding it easier to pick up the step now that I have done more of it, so I only had to rewind a few times and missed a few steps here and there.. It was a good workout though.

Michelle: Yep I am still carrying an extra 20-15 lbs of weight, don't know why it is so hard for me to get rid of, and I am not being an extremists at all. I guess I just like to eat to much or something, I had some adrenal issues that make it hard for me to lose weight and gain muscle. I was on this medication that made me gain weight. Gained 40lbs. Finally decided that it wasn't worth it and at the same time found Cathe....since then I have lost 20 lbs and my body is really starting to change now, I have more muscle definition than I ever had before. I think weight lifting is the key for me.... Good job on your compromise for doing something. I have days like that to and it does feel good to listen to your body and yet still do something to keep yourself in the swing of things

Shoegal: You guys are buying a boat! How fun! I think that is a great way to help keep you excited and engaged with life after your recent loss. I bet your trip will be fun. I love the lakes up in the NE. I am glad your mom is seeking grief support, it helped my mother through her grief.

Janie: see what STS has done to you! No longer is it enough to do just any Cathe routine now you have to make it more challenging! LOL! That must make you feel really good. I heard mention of a book but don't recall that post so I will have to dig back further and see what I missed!

Shadowpup: welcome home! Looking forward to hearing more from you when you get your feet back under you!

Iron lady: Congrats on the STS legs! I bet that is a major challenge~! Can't wait to hear more from you about what you think about STS compared to the GS or Pyramids or other Cathe weight work...

I did ME premix Lower body split. I was thinking this would be a huge amount of leg presses - all together with other leg exercises - my legs were feeling it. Yes - was right - lots of leg presses - not an all around leg workout though - not like the GS workout. What did I expect for 39 minutes? I was thrilled we did ABS again - that seemed like such a treat - I don't know why I get all excited about Abs. :eek:

Sailboat report: Now - I get one everyday from DH and thought I'd put the rest of you through it too. This is when he tells me who he has spoken with - what info he has gathered and where it is and how much. I appreciate the info I really do - but we seem to only talk about sailboats . . . ALL THE TIME!!:p

On other news - we have booked our vacation - will go down to Keuka Lake (NY) for a week in September. The cottage is right on the lake and DH is hoping to have a boat by then so we can use it that week. See how that sailboat slips in everywhere!!!

Life seems to be a little more back to normal since my Father passed - my Mom is doing a little better and decided to go to grief counseling - I think I can exhale now.

Janie - forgot to mention that I'm impressed with you having written a book - best of luck - I've always wanted to do something like that. Congratulations.
Shoegal, I love ME as well. I haven't done any premixes yet, I should try one. Hmmm. Sailing though does sound wonderful. Something that your husband loves I suspect. September, in a cottage, on a lake? Oh that sounds so romantic. And, I would assume, much needed. Have fun! So glad your mom will be counseled through her grieving. It sounds like she will do OK, just have to go through steps you know? Thank you for the luck on my book. I'll need it. If you always wanted to do something like that, then why don't you? I hope you do, maybe now will be a perfect time. Just know, that I know you are hurting, and I wish only good in your life at this time of grieving for your father. (((((hugs))))).

Today was a light workout on the boat: from the Basic Step/BF dvd: upper body, lower body, and abs. I wasn't feeling super motivated but didn't want to blow off exercise today, so this was my compromise.

Janie: TBS with heavy weight sounds interesting. I like doing the "beginner Cathe" workouts with heavier weights from time to time, although then I have to slow down on the reps. I'm thinking I'm going to have to get another pair of weights for the boat (8 or 10 pound dumb bells, for exactly that purpose). Right now I just have a 5 pound pair on the boat. Hmmm. Just have to figure out how to smuggle another set of weights aboard without Joe noticing.;)~michelle
Michelle, Great compromise! Sometimes we all need a workout, instead of a hot sweaty one now and then. 8 or 10 pounders are perfect for beginner Cathe workouts. I hope you can put them on your boat.

Today was another TBS with heavier weight. We're just getting back into it and for right now, it's perfect for us.

Take care everyone, and see you later,

Janie

Hi all,

I have been buried in work! It was the right call to cut my last trip short. The meeting I missed was not as valuable as the work I got done. So many projects hit critical that it was very stressful not to be able to tackle them – slowly, slowly, I’m digging out from under.

My workouts were pretty good while I was gone. I finished up week 3 of meso 2 just before leaving, and managed to do a couple of Cardio Coach workouts, an extra round of strength training with dumbbells (just a few exercises, because I wanted to check out the offsite gym), a little TRX to get the feel of that, and quite a bit of walking. Not bad for three days. I did my first week 4 meso 2 on Thursday, and am scheduled to do another one today. Probably won’t do legs – my legs are feeling very tired, and could use two more days. My back is up to it, though, so STS Back Biceps it will be :) Yesterday, I hiked, rode one of my horses, and had to move a bunch of hay, which seemed like plenty. Have to say, I’m really looking forward to an active rest week with just cardio. The signs of overtraining are creeping in …

Choosing a horse yesterday was difficult. I only had time for one, and that only worked out because my husband agreed we’d go out to dinner tonight rather than last night. It was getting very late, and I don’t like to ride unless I can see where we’re going. When I called the horse I wanted (Atreides, my steady quarterhorse), he began to meander over to the gate. He'd been the closest, and he's the most reliable one. That's important, because these dusky rides usually involve swooping owls, leaping deer, and all kinds of little critters rustling in the bushes.

But, my youngster Sierra (that’s the one who is afraid of Killer Ducks) popped his head up and came TEARING up an over, trying to beat Atreides! He had been quite a long distance away, about a quarter mile, but he was really moving! This set off my big guy, Picante, who joined in the race. Picante had been even further away, probably more like half a mile. When they hit the gate, it was Sierra by a nose, then Atriedes (who had been closest), and finally Picante, who blasted his way to the front and stood there snorting. All three of them stuck their heads over the gate, all lined up, looking expectantly at me. For awhile I just stood there looking back at them, with halter in hand, knowing there would be two disappointed and one smug horse in a minute. My husband was laughing at me from the side.

Eventually, I went with my original idea, taking out Atreides, but it was tricky getting the halter on. Not for lack of cooperation from Atreides - he was very good. But Sierra kept trying to push his head under my arm, and my big guy tried to insert himself between me and Atreides, kind of aiming his own head at the halter. Just imagine three huge dogs each wanting to be hooked up to one leash, and you'll get the idea. Finally I had to send the two unchosen ones away, so as to get Atreides out safely. The remaining pair had an absolute fit while I was on the trail, snorting and bucking and generally showing off. I could hear them neighing from the woods. At least everyone got some exercise!

Is anyone else getting severely tempted by all the chatter about Insanity???? I keep telling myself, don’t buy it yet. It will be on sale used in two months, as people finish their rounds. Do P90X or CLX first. It’s a good thing I don’t have a beachbody coach!!!

We’re in the full swing of summer, and that means a wonderful harvest! The raspberries are still hanging in there. The peas are terrific – such a nice snack, right off the vine. Cherries are over, but the goose berries are ripe. I’ve promised to make a goose berry pie. And, the apricots are within a few days of being ready … such a neat time of year.

I see all kinds of things to catch up on! A book, a new boat, workouts galore – what a team! I’ll be back later with personals.

Hope you’re having a terrific weekend – I’m looking forward to mine 

Last edited:
Well, my life seems positively boring compared to all you ladies! YAWN!!! :)
Just work, workout, trip to the museum and maybe movies. An occasional book!

Work has been stressful lately. New girl is just not getting it and it's like having a 2 year old constantly in need. Anyway, that is all about that!

My dad is back in the hospital with pneumonia.

Laura I am loving STS. Of course, I am just starting my 2nd week of Meso 2. I love the workouts so far though. The heavier weights are really my favorite style of lifting but, I do love GS, S&H, Pyramids and the Total Body ones, too! I seem to respond well to weight work. STS is really a totally different type of workout. I am really spent at the end of each workout not that I'm not with ALL of Cathe's workouts! :p

Shadowpup, yes Insanity does sound exciting but, for me I think too much High Impact! :( My body just doesn't want to do what my mind does anymore!!! The heart is willing but, the body is not so much!

Shoegal, I haven't done that premix in a long time, maybe after STS is over!!! I remember I liked it! So happy your life is getting somewhat back to normal! Good for your mother finding ways to deal with her grief in a positive way! Prayers!

Michelle, so jealous workingout on the boat.... best of 2 worlds!

Hello Janie! Goodnight all!

Guess I could put my workout in here! hehe Did SJP Premix #6, B&G Floorwork and Abs today. CST and KickMax Low Impact tomorrow!

Hi all,

I have been buried in work! It was the right call to cut my last trip short. The meeting I missed was not as valuable as the work I got done. So many projects hit critical that it was very stressful not to be able to tackle them – slowly, slowly, I’m digging out from under.

My workouts were pretty good while I was gone. I finished up week 3 of meso 2 just before leaving, and managed to do a couple of Cardio Coach workouts, an extra round of strength training with dumbbells (just a few exercises, because I wanted to check out the offsite gym), a little TRX to get the feel of that, and quite a bit of walking. Not bad for three days. I did my first week 4 meso 2 on Thursday, and am scheduled to do another one today. Probably won’t do legs – my legs are feeling very tired, and could use two more days. My back is up to it, though, so STS Back Biceps it will be :) Yesterday, I hiked, rode one of my horses, and had to move a bunch of hay, which seemed like plenty. Have to say, I’m really looking forward to an active rest week with just cardio. The signs of overtraining are creeping in …

Choosing a horse yesterday was difficult. I only had time for one, and that only worked out because my husband agreed we’d go out to dinner tonight rather than last night. It was getting very late, and I don’t like to ride unless I can see where we’re going. When I called the horse I wanted (Atreides, my steady quarterhorse), he began to meander over to the gate. He'd been the closest, and he's the most reliable one. That's important, because these dusky rides usually involve swooping owls, leaping deer, and all kinds of little critters rustling in the bushes.

But, my youngster Sierra (that’s the one who is afraid of Killer Ducks) popped his head up and came TEARING up an over, trying to beat Atreides! He had been quite a long distance away, about a quarter mile, but he was really moving! This set off my big guy, Picante, who joined in the race. Picante had been even further away, probably more like half a mile. When they hit the gate, it was Sierra by a nose, then Atriedes (who had been closest), and finally Picante, who blasted his way to the front and stood there snorting. All three of them stuck their heads over the gate, all lined up, looking expectantly at me. For awhile I just stood there looking back at them, with halter in hand, knowing there would be two disappointed and one smug horse in a minute. My husband was laughing at me from the side.

Eventually, I went with my original idea, taking out Atreides, but it was tricky getting the halter on. Not for lack of cooperation from Atreides - he was very good. But Sierra kept trying to push his head under my arm, and my big guy tried to insert himself between me and Atreides, kind of aiming his own head at the halter. Just imagine three huge dogs each wanting to be hooked up to one leash, and you'll get the idea. Finally I had to send the two unchosen ones away, so as to get Atreides out safely. The remaining pair had an absolute fit while I was on the trail, snorting and bucking and generally showing off. I could hear them neighing from the woods. At least everyone got some exercise!

Is anyone else getting severely tempted by all the chatter about Insanity???? I keep telling myself, don’t buy it yet. It will be on sale used in two months, as people finish their rounds. Do P90X or CLX first. It’s a good thing I don’t have a beachbody coach!!!

We’re in the full swing of summer, and that means a wonderful harvest! The raspberries are still hanging in there. The peas are terrific – such a nice snack, right off the vine. Cherries are over, but the goose berries are ripe. I’ve promised to make a goose berry pie. And, the apricots are within a few days of being ready … such a neat time of year.

I see all kinds of things to catch up on! A book, a new boat, workouts galore – what a team! I’ll be back later with personals.

Hope you’re having a terrific weekend – I’m looking forward to mine 
Deborah, Sounds dreadful having that much work to do. Can I help in any way? I know the feeling of over training. Do be careful. You truly are working to hard. Your horses and your story got me thinking of a race, and Atreides won, but with misgivings from the other horses. What a story! You should be a writer. Kido, you have talent. Yes, I'm listening to the chatter of Insanity. It will win out eventually, it always does. It is a great time of year, when the continuation of food comes in for a harvest.

Well, my life seems positively boring compared to all you ladies! YAWN!!! :)
Just work, workout, trip to the museum and maybe movies. An occasional book!

Work has been stressful lately. New girl is just not getting it and it's like having a 2 year old constantly in need. Anyway, that is all about that!

My dad is back in the hospital with pneumonia.

Hello Janie! Goodnight all!

Guess I could put my workout in here! hehe Did SJP Premix #6, B&G Floorwork and Abs today. CST and KickMax Low Impact tomorrow!

Ironlady, Just wait, lives are but ebbs and tides, your turn is coming and I hope it's good for you. So sorry to hear your dad has pneumonia and in the hospital. Will he be OK? Also hope the new girl will understand any day now. (for your sake);) Hmmmm, is it ebb or tide? ((hugs your way))

Did a cardio today and used my stair climber. About 30 min. of it and sweated like crazy.

Goodnight everyone, going to bed.

Janie

Finally time for some personals ... warning, very long post ahead ...

Laura: what a great set of workouts you’ve been posting. You’re continuing to prove us right when we think of our big exercises days as being Laura-level. :eek::eek::eek:That slower day in Boulder sounds like just the ticket. Kudos to you on losing so much weight; no matter why or when it creeps on, it’s tough to get off. For me also, strength training was the key in getting the last bit off and it’s critical to keeping it off, too. By all accounts that last bit just takes awhile to come off, but when it comes slowly, it stays off, which is best.

Michelle: light days are just as important as heavy days … glad you took one! Hmmm, sneaking another heavier set on the boat … perhaps those plate mates or pace mates might be the ticket! Little extra weights. Easy to hide :D:D:DSpeaking of that, I had a chance to check out pace mates while I was out, and I liked them. They are basically half pound rectangular metal+magnets and the magnet is powerful enough to hold the half pound onto even a neoprene weight. The size is small enough that you can put several on at once, making it pretty easy to add anywhere from half a pound to three or four pounds to a hex dumbbell. (More than that seemed too crowded because you can’t put the dumbbell down without bumping a magnet). My one pound plate mates’ magnet has a harder time holding the heavier weight on neoprene, and I don’t trust it for anything but the metal weights. BTW, it is so neat that you and DH are both equally bitten by the sailing bug. That’s such a wonderful and multifaceted interest to share.

Shoegal: keep up those sailboat reports! It’s fun to listen to an enthusiast, isn’t it? Also funny, at times. Your vacation sounds wonderful. You’ll know where DH is every minute, too. You like Abs??? My goodness. That’s now the only remaining chore in my regime, since the flexibility became fun when Power Yoga joined the rotation. Have you always enjoyed Abs … ? It’s also good to know your family is easing back to normal. Hugs to you and yours as you weather the inevitable rollercoaster.

Ironlady: your feet, are they getting better overall? Great dvd order. Agree, it’s better to have the dvd version so as not to have to worry about those vhs tapes. Are you ‘pure dvd’ now? One legged pikes – sounds like something our IronLady would enjoy!:eek: Good luck to your dad; pneumonia is no joke. And needy newbies :mad::mad: can be enough to drive anyone insane. While it is easy to be sympathetic to someone trying to do everything right, it is wearing. This is a good spot to vent a bit!

Janie: any of these workouts can bring on the DOMS when the weight goes up, can’t they (gulp). Good for you, not being satisfied with just the basics. Your visit with your sister sounds like a very healing and uplifting time. You’ve deserved that – thinking about the strains of the past few months, it was very much time for you to be with family. Sisters are such special people, and what fun to have yours show up just to be with you. :D:D:D And very kind of you to enjoy those silly little stories of mine – it is fun to share them. The horses especially have such funny interactions! I enjoy telling stories that have nothing to do with technical articles, but as to a whole book??? :eek::eek::eek: Speaking of book, I have been going backwards to learn about yours and have not found the right posting yet, but I am not giving up! Please tell more. Thank you also for your concern. It helps to have a place to lightly blow off steam, and to have reminders to slow down. I don’t like to complain at work: people there would dive in and do more if they could, so no point in making them feel badly. My own fault for hating to let important things and opportunities go, of course. Letting things drop is not in my nature :(

I remember seeing that someone – Michelle? – asked about my breast cancer. I’ll say this up front: it is not a sensitive subject, I just try not to hit people over the head with it. So feel free to ask anything you like, and I’ll try not to post too much and bore you. Short story, I was diagnosed in 2001 (on my wedding anniversary) with almost stage II cancer, after a summer where the medical profession erroneously thought it was all in my head; treated over the course of the next year with two surgeries, 26 weeks of chemotherapy, seven weeks of radiation, and a whole lot of love and support from family, friends, and especially DH. My medical appointments are now down to one suit a year where everything is retested. Usually about six or seven different visits. I’m about to begin setting those up, though how I’ll get it all in is another stresser … Anyway, so far all signs are green that I’ll be around a long time :)

Good Sunday Morning to Everyone, I hope everyone is relaxing and enjoying it!:D

So yesterday was Imax2. What a great workout! I am always surprised how hard it is, but I think I have a short-term memory when it comes to exercise.:eek: I think because I feel so good afterwards that I forget how grueling it can be in the moment, kind of like child birth I guess! I also think I am getting better so I can work it harder, I have to take fewer breaks in between because my heart rate is lowering faster during the recovery periods!

Shoegal: ME is one of my recent purchase. I definitely did it once before, but don't really remember that well. Just goes to show you how short term my workout memory really is....

Shadowpup: loved the story about your horses. I could visual imagine the scene when I read it. Janie is right you do have a talent for writing, and I am glad we get the pleasure of enjoying your stories. It sounds like you do need an active recovery week, I know those signs of over training myself, and know from personal experience how hard it is to turn it down a notch. Luckily I have enough 'vacations' with the kids that I am forced to slow down every few months. Those magnetic weights sound really appealing, I think I will need to look into those, especially for my shoulders which just can't seem to make the 5lb jump easily....I have been very tempted by the Insanity series, but just can't afford it, so the decision is made for me, however I am a frequent lurker on the forums here and am drooling with anticipation...

Michelle: So did you manage a covert weight smuggling operation onto the Silver Linning? Is it getting hot and muggy in your neck of the woods yet? I imagine being on the water as so refreshing with a light breeze cooling things down a bit.

Ironlady:Thanks for the feed back on STS, I can't wait to get it. I love the weight lifting too! Lately I have to force myself to do cardio and even pilates instead of the weights. I love the way you are mixing up the various DVD premixes together for some new workouts. Are you creating them yourself or are they from some rotations you have seen? Maybe you should publish your own rotations. I love to see how people mix things up to keep the workout fresh! I am a big believer in muscle confusion to keep the body changing, but sometimes I lack the time and energy to come up with rotations myself. I am currently doing a rotation posted by Laughing Water with GS and MM. Which DVD is CST by the way?

Janey: Glad you had a good time with your sister! I always wanted a sister of my own but have had to content myself with my 'soul sisters'. Sounds like you and your Joey are getting into the swing of things again. Is STS on the horizon again? Are you on Meso 3?

Today is GS Legs hopefully I will get it done, feeling tired and unmotivated today....and that is such a brutal leg workout!

Hello Ladies!

Hope everyone is having a Great day! I did Meso 2 wk 2 Chest, Shoulders and Triceps (or CST ;) Laura) did not do KM feeling kind of like you on that one Laura just tired! But, boy do I love the way I feel after I finish a STS workout!

DD just got her finals results 100 on history and 96 Intenational Studies! :D So no more homework for awhile!

TTYL Have a good night!

Janie: any of these workouts can bring on the DOMS when the weight goes up, can’t they (gulp). Good for you, not being satisfied with just the basics. Your visit with your sister sounds like a very healing and uplifting time. You’ve deserved that – thinking about the strains of the past few months, it was very much time for you to be with family. Sisters are such special people, and what fun to have yours show up just to be with you. :D:D:D And very kind of you to enjoy those silly little stories of mine – it is fun to share them. The horses especially have such funny interactions! I enjoy telling stories that have nothing to do with technical articles, but as to a whole book??? :eek::eek::eek: Speaking of book, I have been going backwards to learn about yours and have not found the right posting yet, but I am not giving up! Please tell more. Thank you also for your concern. It helps to have a place to lightly blow off steam, and to have reminders to slow down. I don’t like to complain at work: people there would dive in and do more if they could, so no point in making them feel badly. My own fault for hating to let important things and opportunities go, of course. Letting things drop is not in my nature :(

I remember seeing that someone – Michelle? – asked about my breast cancer. I’ll say this up front: it is not a sensitive subject, I just try not to hit people over the head with it. So feel free to ask anything you like, and I’ll try not to post too much and bore you. Short story, I was diagnosed in 2001 (on my wedding anniversary) with almost stage II cancer, after a summer where the medical profession erroneously thought it was all in my head; treated over the course of the next year with two surgeries, 26 weeks of chemotherapy, seven weeks of radiation, and a whole lot of love and support from family, friends, and especially DH. My medical appointments are now down to one suit a year where everything is retested. Usually about six or seven different visits. I’m about to begin setting those up, though how I’ll get it all in is another stresser … Anyway, so far all signs are green that I’ll be around a long time :)
Deborah, Oh, I agree, sisters are very special. I only wish my daughter could have experienced a sister too. Maybe in another lifetime perhaps.

I'm writing a book about soap and recipes. Right now I'm trying to figure out what Publishing company/s to send it to. I have a few corrections to make, which will take about another week or so, then I'll send it through and see what happens. Understanding it may take some time and not to give up. So I'll do that for about a year or so then if nothing happens, will try something else with it. Internet comes to mind.

I truly think you should write though, you are talented. Give it a shot, or maybe you are just too busy...

I agree with you about being able to vent here, and with such great people too. Can't get better than that.

So yesterday was Imax2. What a great workout! I am always surprised how hard it is, but I think I have a short-term memory when it comes to exercise.:eek: I think because I feel so good afterwards that I forget how grueling it can be in the moment, kind of like child birth I guess! I also think I am getting better so I can work it harder, I have to take fewer breaks in between because my heart rate is lowering faster during the recovery periods!

Janey: Glad you had a good time with your sister! I always wanted a sister of my own but have had to content myself with my 'soul sisters'. Sounds like you and your Joey are getting into the swing of things again. Is STS on the horizon again? Are you on Meso 3?

Today is GS Legs hopefully I will get it done, feeling tired and unmotivated today....and that is such a brutal leg workout!
Laura, Just love IMAX2, sounds like you are doing great with it. Love your description of it. LOL:eek: It's so true!

Joey and I are getting back into things. It's so nice. ;)

Hope everyone is having a Great day! I did Meso 2 wk 2 Chest, Shoulders and Triceps (or CST ;) Laura) did not do KM feeling kind of like you on that one Laura just tired! But, boy do I love the way I feel after I finish a STS workout!

DD just got her finals results 100 on history and 96 Intenational Studies! :D So no more homework for awhile!

TTYL Have a good night!

Ironlady, There is no other feeling after doing a hard but great workout.:) I think it makes me want to keep going and going...

You must be so very proud of your DD. Those are terrific scores there!

Today is The Firm with Susan Harris for us. It will be a little more tougher than the TBS with heavier weights. Then, after a few more Firms we'll be able to do Cathe again. Muscle memory is great, we'll be up to par in no time at all.

I'm going to get a fishing license today and a container of worms and will be fishing from out boat either today or tomorrow. It will be so much fun!

Talk later,

Janie

Hi ladies. Exercise report first. I've been taking breaks on the weekend. It's just been too dang hot and the 3-Hs (hot, hazy, humid) settled in on the mid-Atlantic this weekend. I just can't get too motivated--the 3-Hs just seem to zap the energy out of me. This morning, Ripken and I got up a little earlier than usual to beat the onset of the early morning warm-up. Glad we did. Sister and I decided today was going to be LowMax. Sometimes we do that--plan for the same workout ahead of time. LowMax is another one of those great Cathe cardio workouts that I have not done in a while. I found that the Kick Max workouts have helped with the Kickbox segments on Lowmax. That last set of leg blasts didn't seem quite as arduous.

Shadowpup: love the story about the horses. They sound like 3 big pups. They are obviously a passion of yours--it comes through whenever you write about them. Thanks for sharing the information on your breast cancer experience. After my little scare, it made me realize that there is alot I don't know about this stuff. I'm glad we are going to have you around for a long time. I'll definitely be getting some platemates, just a matter of time....

Ironlady: newbies at work can be a challenge. How old is your new person? Do you think it is just her being new or a generational effect? Sorry to hear that your dad is not well again. It seems cyclical for him.

Laura: cool breezes have been few and far between around here of late. We've had plenty of warm southerly wind--which is better than nothing. IMAX2 sounds quite challenging. I have it, but have not tried it yet. The original IMAX usually takes my breath away.

Janie: sounds like you and Joey are getting back in the exercise groove. Good for you. But digging worms and going fishing-ick!

~michelle

Hello Everyone -

Shadowpup - it is so funny that you mentioned Insanity - because the thought crossed my mind today (before I read your post) that no one here has said anything about wanting it - and I thought you especially would be on top of it and so you are!! Lots of talk everywhere about it and it intrigues me - but like you I'm holding back espcially since I have two other series I have yet to do. The fact that I'm interested scares me - I don't think anything can curb my addiction. BTW - I have the pace mates - or whatever those 1/2 lb rectangular magnets are called and I like them. Tried them just once to help bridge the gap between 15s and 20s. I put one on each 15 - geeze - I was thinking 1/2 lb - that's nothing - I'll be able to do the exercise fairly well - nope - made a huge difference - I was floored. I also really enjoyed the horse stories - this one was especially entertaining. They really do sound like big lovable pups. Thanks for sharing your breast cancer experience. I found it frightening and I'm so impressed with how brave you are - no wonder you are a survivor.

Michelle - well, I'm sure you can appreciate the boat talk - but for me right now - it is one sided since I have such limited experience on the boating end of things. My honeymoon cruise was great for my DH - during every meal he wanted to sit by the window to watch the waves of the ocean - and I wanted to avoid it because it made me sick. Shocking how a huge boat like a cruiseship could sway - I thought since it was so big I wouldn't feel the movement. I was so wrong. But I will keep you posted on the sailboat. I hope to come to love it as you do.

Laura - IMAX2 is indeed a goody - love it too. I agree with forgetting about how hard a workout is afterwards - it is just such a feeling of accomplishment if I do it all and do it well - that I don't dread it next time or think that I hated it or something. What I do remember is being frustrated or bored out of my mind. Those workouts I avoid. I generally have very little dread factor with a Cathe workout - except for her kickbox offerings.

Janie - Are you doing Vol 1? That workout has continued appeal IMO. I still love it - makes me want to do it again - it has been awhile for me. I was actully considering making soap as a Christmas present this year since my sister-in-laws are all so crafty and I'm not. They usually give something they have made every year so I thought I'd try to make something too. Your book has to come out soon so I can get some instructions.

Ironlady - glad that you are really enjoying STS - so many people just love it and I am really looking forward to getting into it. Your DD is a wonder - congrats on her good scores.

Well this weekend - no exercise - but I usually don't anyway. I try to fit in some outdoor activiity. My DH and I went out on Lake Arthur with our girls and the canoe. We paddled out to a shallow area and allowed the pups to get out and run around in the water. The play that ensued was a joy to behold. They ran, barked and played together with so much enthusiasm - that my DH and I just sat there watching and laughing. I also did CleanMax - and boy did my house need that!!! I had so little time to clean in the past few weeks that the big ticket items to do weren't getting done. So I did a more thorough job this time around. I was glad to do it.

Not sure what I'll do exercise wise this evening - but I am definitely looking forward to it.

TTYL!!!

Hi ladies. Exercise report first. I've been taking breaks on the weekend. It's just been too dang hot and the 3-Hs (hot, hazy, humid) settled in on the mid-Atlantic this weekend. I just can't get too motivated--the 3-Hs just seem to zap the energy out of me. This morning, Ripken and I got up a little earlier than usual to beat the onset of the early morning warm-up. Glad we did. Sister and I decided today was going to be LowMax. Sometimes we do that--plan for the same workout ahead of time. LowMax is another one of those great Cathe cardio workouts that I have not done in a while. I found that the Kick Max workouts have helped with the Kickbox segments on Lowmax. That last set of leg blasts didn't seem quite as arduous.

Janie: sounds like you and Joey are getting back in the exercise groove. Good for you. But digging worms and going fishing-ick! ~michelle
Michelle, I hear ya about the heat during the day. It's now 93 degrees here and with all the water around us it just seems so hotter than that. Great job on the workouts, can't blame you getting up earlier to do exercises. Low max and Kickbox are great workouts.

Hello Everyone -
Janie - Are you doing Vol 1? That workout has continued appeal IMO. I still love it - makes me want to do it again - it has been awhile for me. I was actully considering making soap as a Christmas present this year since my sister-in-laws are all so crafty and I'm not. They usually give something they have made every year so I thought I'd try to make something too. Your book has to come out soon so I can get some instructions.

Well this weekend - no exercise - but I usually don't anyway. I try to fit in some outdoor activiity. My DH and I went out on Lake Arthur with our girls and the canoe. We paddled out to a shallow area and allowed the pups to get out and run around in the water. The play that ensued was a joy to behold. They ran, barked and played together with so much enthusiasm - that my DH and I just sat there watching and laughing. I also did CleanMax - and boy did my house need that!!! I had so little time to clean in the past few weeks that the big ticket items to do weren't getting done. So I did a more thorough job this time around. I was glad to do it.

Not sure what I'll do exercise wise this evening - but I am definitely looking forward to it.

TTYL!!!
Shoegal, Yes, we did Vol. 1 of The Firm. I just love those workouts still. It was hard! For Pete sake! We'll adjust to it very quickly though. I don't expect my book to be out for more than a year or so. First I have to find one that might be interested, that in itself could take months, then if and when I get interest, it could take another year before it's published. I'm doing one Publisher at a time. Found 6 I like, so I have 6 chances all will take time. I can tell you though, that my book will be very unique, and don't really want to give too much away, but, you can find all kinds of recipes online for making soap gifts for Christmas. If you do make them, now is the time to do it, cause it takes several weeks for them to cure. Have fun, it is a joy to do and everyone will appreciate it. If you get stuck, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

Dogs are so wonderful when they think they are free. So much fun to watch them play!

I also need another cleanmax over here too. Want to do mine while your at it? LOL:rolleyes:

Talk later and have a great perhaps cooler evening,

Janie

Last edited:
Good Evening Everyone! Oh goodness reading about workouts I don't have makes me sooooo curious and interested in them, and then I HAVE to google them, and then I think about doing them, so obviously I would HAVE to purchase them...so I am refraining myself from even looking at the FIRM series Janie and Shoegal are talking about.....and I can't contain myself with all the chatter about STS! I am so insanely jealous! However one of my co-instructors at the Rec. Center I work at does have P90X and is willing to lend it to me. So I think I might do a 90 day rotation with that starting in September-November and then hopefully Santa brings me STS and I will be ready to roll in the new year. I still do have so many relatively new DVD's from Cathe that I am enjoying and the premixes are endless. Not to mention switching things up like IronLady has been to make my own workouts from the DVD's I have...

So today was another monster day. With an major 8 mile hike again up to a beautiful aspen lake the wildflowers were amazing! It has been quite wet here so the high country is incredible vibrant and lucius. Maggie has been coming along very well with her training and I was able to have her off of her leash the majority of the hike. Then off to the Rec. to teach my two classes. Honeslty I wasn't sure if I was going to make it, as I had DOMS in the legs from GS Legs yesterday plus the massive hike. But I did it!:eek::D
Ideally I wouldn't schedule my day like this but the girls have horse back riding camp on Mondays, and it is the only day of the week were I get enough time to get up into the high country. I so love it up there that I just have to do it!:rolleyes:

Ironlady: way to go with the CST:cool:! (see got the lingo now) Congrats on your daughter she does you proud!

Janey: Sounds like you two are definitely back into the workout grove! 93 up in your neck of the woods, really? Isn't that unusual for July? How is the garden hanging in the heat? Fishing sounds like the perfect thing to do in the heat of the summer.

Michele: had a feeling about the heat! Can't blame you the 3H's get to me to. I have Low Max to but can't remember it off the cuff I have only done it once or twice, but I did like it. Maybe I will break it out soon. I am trying to get through some rotations which I like because I don't have to think about it but don't like because it prevents spontaneity!

Shoegal: hey head on over here when you are done at Janie's ok? LOL! I cleaned the upstairs this weekend and reorganized the girls closet (big project) Now I have to tackle the downstairs! So what did you end up doing for a workout?

Last edited:
Hi all, I've been in denial about having to hit the road again tomorrow morning ... but, tomorrow is coming despite it all, and I really have to pack. I'll be back on Friday, wanted to let you know before disappearing.

One good thing: I'm done now with Meso 2, hurrah! What a good feeling. I would never have believed how much stronger I'd be from doing this program. Meso 3, here I come! But ...not until at least a week of active rest, possibly two :)

Take care all.

Good morning everybody. Today was S&H chest, back and planks + traditional abs for All-step and Power Hour (from Ab hits). I'm startingto feel pretty good with my 20 pound dumb bells on the chest presses. I actually eyed my 25 pounders this morning for a moment, but I think I'll wait (pun intended).

No insanity here. I've read a few threads on Insanity, but I'm overwhelmed with Cathe workouts that I haven't done yet. Plus, let's not forget STS Cardio will be out sometime in the next few months! Haven't most of us pre-ordered that?

Laura: my sister has gotten into hiking with a friend of hers this summer. She is really enjoying it. She even invested in a pair of hiking sticks (is that right). Talk about doing something different everyday--your muscles must be screaming from all quarters.

Shoegal: I hope once your husband finds a boat to his liking that you enjoy it as much as he does. You enjoy going out on the lakes, so the signs are good that you will. The pups will probably have a blast as well. You might want to mention to your DH not to forget any pup considerations as he is looking at boats. When we looked at boats a few years ago, we always took Ripken with us. The people from whom we bought Silver Lining liked the fact that we included Ripken in the trip and discussed dog concerns. Obviously, they were dog people too.

Shadowpup: have a safe trip and we'll look forward to hearing from you later in the week.

Janie: Have you had another person who has published a similar type book review yours? I know a few successful authors of fiction stories and they note that when they started out "in the business," it was helpful to get their drafts read by other established authors. And you are correct, getting the publisher and then doing revisions takes some time. We shall all live vicariously through your experience on this one.

Enjoy your day and stay cool.
~michelle

Quick check in - as I will be running out the door

I did (drum roll please) Amy Bento's Advanced Step Challenge II - (the Quick NRG @ 38 minutes). I know - I was kind of iffy on the time - just a compact 38 minutes and after about 30 minutes we were no longer stepping. Still - I was sweating and tired and I did it on a 8" step - so I felt satisfied with my workout. I felt very good at least - no pain - was motivated. Tonight - some type of weight work. I have to say that I am really becoming spoiled with these "short" workouts. The dread factor is so not there when you know you aren't going to spend an hour or more working out. I think I'm at a point now where I'm going to have to do more - well, to get more.

Ok must go.

Good Evening Everyone! Oh goodness reading about workouts I don't have makes me sooooo curious and interested in them, and then I HAVE to google them, and then I think about doing them, so obviously I would HAVE to purchase them...so I am refraining myself from even looking at the FIRM series Janie and Shoegal are talking about.....and I can't contain myself with all the chatter about STS! I am so insanely jealous! However one of my co-instructors at the Rec. Center I work at does have P90X and is willing to lend it to me. So I think I might do a 90 day rotation with that starting in September-November and then hopefully Santa brings me STS and I will be ready to roll in the new year. I still do have so many relatively new DVD's from Cathe that I am enjoying and the premixes are endless. Not to mention switching things up like IronLady has been to make my own workouts from the DVD's I have...

So today was another monster day. With an major 8 mile hike again up to a beautiful aspen lake the wildflowers were amazing! It has been quite wet here so the high country is incredible vibrant and lucius. Maggie has been coming along very well with her training and I was able to have her off of her leash the majority of the hike. Then off to the Rec. to teach my two classes. Honeslty I wasn't sure if I was going to make it, as I had DOMS in the legs from GS Legs yesterday plus the massive hike. But I did it!:eek::D
Ideally I wouldn't schedule my day like this but the girls have horse back riding camp on Mondays, and it is the only day of the week were I get enough time to get up into the high country. I so love it up there that I just have to do it!:rolleyes:

Janey: Sounds like you two are definitely back into the workout grove! 93 up in your neck of the woods, really? Isn't that unusual for July? How is the garden hanging in the heat? Fishing sounds like the perfect thing to do in the heat of the summer.
Laura, Oh, you are going to enjoy Tony with the P90X series. He can be a little chatty at times, but, the series are wonderful. If you get STS series for Christmas, if will fit in another 3 months of special exercises that our bodies need for anyone who is interested. I still like Cathe better, but "variety is the spice of life", I always say. The hikes you have must be so wonderful, but for me, I'm afraid of bears, would go with a group of people. I'm afraidy cat.:confused: Your description of your hike is remarkable! It's 95 right now and will get hotter as the day progresses. The Pac. NW does have hot days like this, but it only lasts a week, then it is sparactic days of high temps the rest of the Summer. The garden is doing great in the heat as long as I water during the evening with no sun. If watered during the sunny part of the day, it will kill the foilage. It's truly too hot for fishing. Maybe next week.

Hi all, I've been in denial about having to hit the road again tomorrow morning ... but, tomorrow is coming despite it all, and I really have to pack. I'll be back on Friday, wanted to let you know before disappearing.

One good thing: I'm done now with Meso 2, hurrah! What a good feeling. I would never have believed how much stronger I'd be from doing this program. Meso 3, here I come! But ...not until at least a week of active rest, possibly two :)

Take care all.
Deborah, I don't envy you traveling, especially in this hot weather. Yeah! You finished Meso 2, good for you! It's the best series ever, I have to tell ya. I can't wait to do it again, but this time finish it through to Meso 3. Have a great trip and looking forward to your return on Friday.

Good morning everybody. Today was S&H chest, back and planks + traditional abs for All-step and Power Hour (from Ab hits). I'm startingto feel pretty good with my 20 pound dumb bells on the chest presses. I actually eyed my 25 pounders this morning for a moment, but I think I'll wait (pun intended).

No insanity here. I've read a few threads on Insanity, but I'm overwhelmed with Cathe workouts that I haven't done yet. Plus, let's not forget STS Cardio will be out sometime in the next few months! Haven't most of us pre-ordered that?

Janie: Have you had another person who has published a similar type book review yours? I know a few successful authors of fiction stories and they note that when they started out "in the business," it was helpful to get their drafts read by other established authors. And you are correct, getting the publisher and then doing revisions takes some time. We shall all live vicariously through your experience on this one.Enjoy your day and stay cool.~michelle
Michelle, Great workout! I can too, do 20# dumbells doing chest presses. But, 25? I'm not eyeing them yet, maybe later.:D I also will wait a bit before purchasing Insanity, if at all. I'll wait awhile when everything has calmed down. I still want to enjoy STS and the STS Cardio coming up, like you are. My Joey and one of his son's have edited the book. They are especially critical on editing. So I'm covered in that department. Thank God! Yes, the stories that are about to happen, hope all will be good.:rolleyes:

Quick check in - as I will be running out the door

I did (drum roll please) Amy Bento's Advanced Step Challenge II - (the Quick NRG @ 38 minutes). I know - I was kind of iffy on the time - just a compact 38 minutes and after about 30 minutes we were no longer stepping. Still - I was sweating and tired and I did it on a 8" step - so I felt satisfied with my workout. I felt very good at least - no pain - was motivated. Tonight - some type of weight work. I have to say that I am really becoming spoiled with these "short" workouts. The dread factor is so not there when you know you aren't going to spend an hour or more working out. I think I'm at a point now where I'm going to have to do more - well, to get more.

Ok must go.
Shoegal, Congratulations on the Amy Bento's step! I agree about the dread factor not being there with less than an hour workout. Also agree about doing more to get more. You said it in a nutshell. When you are ready do it, otherwise, keep doing what you are doing for awhile longer.

Today was research day and alot of running around, and in this heat. Oh, it's so hot!

Take care and try to stay cool, we have no AC in our house, but it's only for a few more days or so, then back in the 80's.

Janie

Well it is an abnormally cool day here and cloudy, for those of you steaming in the hot temperatures don't be jealous, it is in the low 50's and going to go down to the low 40's tonight! brrrrrrr!:( We made a fire last night and have kept it going all day! This is JULY!!!!! But I suppose that hot weather Janie has been enduring will head our way sooner or later!

I am enjoying a lazy day. I taught my class this morning, had a very well matched group of mid- to late aged women who were all on a beginner/pre-pilates class so I was able to teach a very nice easy pilates skills and basic technique class orientated class. It really makes it easier for me to teach when everyone is sort of on the same page.

I came home and just have felt tired, unmotivated and stiff so I decided to take the rest of the day off of exercise. GS BS&B was on the schedule but just couldn't do it! I think I am just flat worn out from yesterday! That was really some hike and some tough classes later in the evening. Maybe I can pick up that DVD in the morning. I have a private client at 9 am and I think I can squeeze the DVD in before I have to take the girls down to Boulder where I can take an easy walk or jog for cardio while they are in the session.

Janie: Does it feel humid with that heat? 95 is extremely hot isn't it? I think it will be good to do P90X I have been wanting to do it so this is a great opportunity to do it and the best part is I don't have to buy it!:D:D:DI do so love Cathe & it very hard for me to think of not doing her for 90 days! Who knows maybe I will feel done after one month with Tony, but I feel like I should give his program a fair trial and commit to the full 90 days and see what happens. I found the Core Synergistics workout challenging and intriguing but still did not think he was as good as Cathe!

Shadowpup: Wow Girl didn't you just get home????? Have a great trip and enjoy your rest week! (If you can rest with all that traveling! LOL!)

Michelle: Yep you called it!:eek: My body is totally screaming for rest today! I just love hiking though and when you start getting into that high altitude it is so beautiful it will take your breath away, but it is certainly not easy hiking around here at all! My friend I went with was so sore today and she didn't do anything else that day! Sounds like a good workout today!

Shoegal: So is that the Amy Bento DVD that was giving you so much trouble a way back? If so good job! I think it is super smart of you to ease back into exercise if you have any kind of dread factor it is likely that you won't be able to keep it up! So take your time and Janie is right sooner or later you will be chomping at the bit to do more!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.